The Ranch: Did Ashton Kutcher's R-Rated Netflix Sitcom Rope You In?

The Ranch, Netflix’s new Ashton Kutcher-led sitcom, isn’t your average hometown-hero-returns-to-face-his-past story.

Just kidding, it totally is. But that doesn’t mean the series — which dropped its first 10 episodes on the streaming service early Friday morning — doesn’t have a few surprises up its sleeve, particularly in the more dramatic exchanges between Kutcher and his on-screen father Sam Elliott. Truth be told, it often feels like the series walks the line between an uninspired sitcom and an intelligent stage play. (Yeah, I said “intelligent.” Want to fight about it?)

If you’ve yet to check it out, here’s a quick rundown of the plot: The Ranch stars Kutcher as Colt Bennett, a former high school football star who pays a “quick” visit to his estranged family’s Colorado ranch while he attempts to jump start his career. Soon enough, Colt finds himself slipping back into the ol’ ranch routine, with his father on his back and his hand up a cow’s… well, let’s just say the miracle of life is a beautiful thing and leave it at that.

Along for the ride is Debra Winger, who isn’t afraid to drop a few F-bombs as the Bennett family matriarch, and Danny Masterson, who essentially plays an older, scruffier version of his That ’70s Show character. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that.) Happy Endings alumna Elisha Cuthbert later joins the fray as Colt’s ex-girlfriend — the more age-appropriate of the two blondes in his life.

Aside from the dramatic moments I mentioned earlier, the cast of Two and a Half Cowboys The Ranch rarely steps out of its comfort zone, playing to the studio audience — yes, there’s a laugh track — with the same naughty humor you’d expect from a rerun of Kutcher’s CBS sitcom. (Only, you know, with a lot more swearing.)

If that’s your thing, giddy on up! If not, mooooove right along.

Tell us: Are you checking in for an extended stay at The Ranch, or are you breezing past the Bennett compound and never looking back? Grade Netflix’s newest sitcom below, then drop a comment with your full review.

1. Anything daddy Ashton Kutcher does, I’ll watch.

2. George H. says:

Ashton Kutcher has a Netflix show? Guess you learn something new every day, eh?

3. Bob says:

Miles better than Fuller House

4. Carrie says:

I like it BECAUSE Ashton is in it… it seems like it would be great.Ashton, Danny, Sam Elliot, etc. But, I have watched the first 3 episodes and someone, to me, it just doesn’t work. Maybe it’s silly, maybe it’s the laugh track ( I read it was filmed with an audience, but has a laugh track?) maybe it’s so predictable. It’s like they walk in, say their lines, wait for the laugh, the move on. Maybe it will get better, like work through the kinks… I just finished episode 3 and turned it off. Don’t know if I’ll get back to it, again. I don’t know what I expected, but I’m disappointed.

• cuius says:

Well you’ve managed two more episodes than me. Just didn’t work. Were all the actors in the studios at the same time? Had the Alicia/Kalinda feeling – green screen, and tape each performance separately – multi-camera but not running at the same time. Also all the money went on Kutcher’s salary and it left nothing for the set. A very generous D.

5. A. D. says:

Hilarious show!

6. Totally thrown off kilter by the laugh track. I know that some of my favorite shows of years past had them, but it simply seems dated now. I don’t really understand why they used it. Was it supposed to be retro or some kind of gimmick? Given the cast, this should work, but I just am so distracted by the fake laughter, I’m missing the show itself.

• Carrie says:

I know what you mean. It’s like they say a line (which is usually kind of predictable) then pause for the laugh, than say another one. Maybe it will get better over time?

• Carrie says:

Also, it’s like they’re playing Kelso and Hyde again, only with overdone country like accents.

• Hi Carrie. Or the viewers will have to get used to it. Since the first season of 10 episodes has been released, not much they can alter. It appears the show will have to sink or swim with the laugh track. I watched 3 episodes, & I’m not sure if I will watch anymore. Sad, as I really enjoy Sam Elliott and Debra Winger.

• jessica says:

I hated the laugh track. It would be m7ch better without it, or at least without so much of it.

• Stephanie Lees says:

Maybe that’s why I like it. Good ole fashion show. The new tv shows are garbage. So tired of reality shows.

7. Shar says:

I confess to being an Ashton Kutcher fan probably more for his off camera charity activities than his acting but he can pull off an emotional scene and he is believable. Danny needs better lines and Ms. Winger and Sam Elliot are wonderful.

8. Patty says:

lose the laugh track

• Shar says:

I agree, please get rid of the laugh track. As a child of the 50’s who had to sit through that same lady laugh her way though I Love Lucy, I would really appreciate letting the jokes fail or work on their own.

9. Brian kjar says:

I hate sitcoms with the annoying laugh track

10. Richard Vert says:

How dare you try to force fit a great actor like Sam Elliot into a cheesy sitcom. I felt totally embarrassed for him . If this runs longer than one season I will be shocked.

• Penny says:

If Sam Elliott didn’t want to do the sitcom he didn’t have to it was his choice. So why be embarrassed for him. He must of wanted to do it.

11. auntiemm says:

I don’t care for Kutcher but I’d watch Sam Elliot read the owner’s manual to a Ram truck.

12. lower the volume on the laugh track, please

13. Sarah Ahles says:

Is the laugh track an Aprils Fool joke?? It’s awful. Can’t bear to watch the show due to it/

14. Arlene J Ringue says:

Get rid of the canned laughter

15. Diane says:

I think they have a few kinks to work out but a lot of shows don’t really come together until later episodes where the actors find their rhythm. I’ve just finished episode five and I think it’s starting to happen. Beau (Sam Elliot) is starting to show a softer side and Rooster (Danny Masterton) is reminding me less of Steven Hyde so I think it’s worth hanging in for the rest of the season. The swearing makes it seem so much realistic than the funny, sound-a-like substitutes or bleeps we’re accustomed to, I can believe I’m watching a real, somewhat dysfunctional, family.

I don’t have high hopes for this show lasting beyond a couple of seasons though. As this show is from the same writers that brought us Two and a Half Men, I have a feeling that breasts, penises, and sex jokes are going to be standard operating procedure for every episode. (Although I haven’t yet seen the episode, there is supposed to be one scene involving a Girl Scout uniform.) What this did on Two and a Half Men was take the character of Alan Harper from being a likeable character you could have sympathy for, to a creepy weirdo whom you just felt disgust for. Not that I’m a prude but when all of the jokes revolve around body parts and sex all the time, it becomes tiresome and boring. Who wants to watch Two and a Half Men again just because it’s set in Colarado?

There are enough funny things that happen on ranches that they shouldn’t have to resort to that. This show has so much potential. All of the actors are fantastic and the premise of the show is intriguing. I hope they don’t ruin it.

16. julie wilkinson says:

Great cast, great writers, just frigging GREAT. Season 2 now. Lol funny

17. Harmony W says:

He’s a former COLLEGE football player. He was the “backup to the backup to the quarterback” for Florida State University

18. David Thomas says:

I enjoyed it, so what if it’s stupid, not cutting edge ect. It’s a great program, I have read about conflict resolution is needed to conclude the arguments.
    That’s not real life, this is a good watch. Better than I imagined and have watched all episodes and I am wanting a season 2.

Yes there are things wrong with it, but all programs would be the same if they were perfect. The critics have slammed this already. Just because it’s not game of thrones doesn’t mean it’s not a good watch.

• Carrie says:

Of course, it’s just a silly show, with a lot of good actors. Maybe they will get into the rhythm or something at some point. I think I expect more from Netflix.. I mean the Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt is a silly show, too, but it has more to it and seem to flow. If the Ranch was a TV show, on regular TV, it probably would have been cancelled after the first few episodes. There are good actors in this, and maybe even a good storyline (though it’s been done before in various ways) it just doesn’t seem to have that “something” a good show does… maybe it will, maybe people will keep watching and find out. Someone mentioned Fuller House on here as being worse, but I watched all of those, it’s also a silly show, but (to me) it works. THAT would be an example of “just a show and not Game of Thrones, etc” but it flows and it’s not uncomfortable to watch. Maybe it’s something that’s there or isn’t, and can’t be created just happens. I think I’d watch anything with Ashton in it (I watched Two and a half Men, and I hadn’t watched it with Charlie Sheen in it) so maybe I will try this again. Right now I am in the middle of watching Downton Abbey, all over again, from the start. I’m thinking maybe the producers of The Ranch will hear about the comments and make changes in the ones they are doing ow, so welcome feedback.

• Penny says:

I agree .

19. felicia says:

It was ok :), pretty funny. I will watch all episodes.

20. Sheryl Martin says:

Canned laughter sucks, but needed becaucse the opening scene jokes were predictable as well as others…..good cast…..needs better script.

• Carrie says:

I wonder if it has to be a comedy? Or maybe not as silly and slaptick. that 70’s show was a comedy, too, but not so big, in your face kind. Maybe this one is trying too hard to be funny, and making the charactors so much larger than life… I;m thinking of the old show “My Name is Earl” which could have been like that, and maybe some did see it that way, like dumb hillbilly type jokes. but it had a little more to it.

21. Jen says:

Only 4 minutes in and my first question is why the fake southern accent? I get Sam Elliot….but not the rest. Lived in Colorado my when life….never heard this accent. Hoping it gets better but not sure I care e.tough to stick it out.

22. Patti says:

Totally enjoyed. Hilarious!

23. Donald McConnell says:

These are first rate actors but they came across so stiff in the first episode that it felt like they only got one run-thru and then had to film it. As it goes on, however, they start to find their feet and the smart writing makes this something to look forward to. I just wish they would lose the laugh-track…these actors are better than that.

24. ccaton says:

The show had some good characters but the story lines were way too predictable and repetitive. it was a waste of talent. Great to see Debra Winger again.

25. Jethro says:

i surprised the first time I heard the laugh track. It’s the worst thing about the show.

• Carrie says:

Watching a little more… I don’t consider myself a prude, or judgmental, but I don’t think 5 mins or so of back and forth jokes about herpes is funny. I think that’s what I don’t like about this series, it’s too much, sex, degenerates, sleeping around, STDs, drinking, etc. Okay, a little thrown in now and then to be funny, but it seems to be basically what the show is build on and around. Like a one trick pony. Though maybe those who couldn’t get enough of Beavis and Butthead appreciate it.

• Carrie says:

the worst thing is the jokes about herpes…I dont think Im watching any more. I tried

26. Gregory D Rankin says:

I couldn’t watch more than 10 minutes… I hate laugh tracks.

27. Cyn says:

Totally unwatchable.

28. Marian says:

Fantastic series all the actors work really well together keep going on many seasons in the future..

29. Lorin Cary says:

Promising situation, strong cast, but you added a laughter track and that ruins it. Won’t watch it. Adding the laughter was not a wise move. Too bad. Dump the needless and offensive laugh track and I’ll try it again.

30. Yam says:

I really like it. Nothing about The Ranch made me long for That 70s Show at all.The first episode was hard to get through I admit but afterwards I understood why the show was off pace.

The hard pauses for editing to put in the the laugh track makes it feel like a school play.

What is great is the call quick backs, the writers aren’t scared to use a hat on a hat and the cast chemistry is great.

If they keep the same comedic tone then inject more pressing life issues, The Ranch can be a force. This is a good start.

31. Pudge P. says:

Hate the laugh track. Annoying and distracting. I can laugh out loud without the prompting.

32. Pisces22 says:

Loved the ranch! It had humor and feelings, refreshing. Great to see the guys back together, and who doesnt love Sam Elliot andDebra Winger, bring back for season 2.

33. Cindy says:

Already watched all 10 episodes and I’m hooked! When can I expect new episodes? Can’t believe it ended like it did but makes you want more.

34. Leanne says:

My husband 24 year old daughter love it. My daughter and I have already watched all 10 shows. When are the next ones coming out?

35. Kelly Gibson says:

I love it and I hope you make a lot more seasons 💓💓💓💓💓

36. I haven’t laughed so hard over a sitcom in so long. I love this show and hope there is more.

37. David campbell says:

The ranch is so far a dam good show as long as the don’t cancel it

38. Wife and I watched all ten shows and simply loved it. Great acting, and I loved the fact that it was respectful of non liberal values. Liberals and their Hollywood ass-kissers are sickenly non tolerant.

39. Penny says:

I loved it. I can’t wait for season two. All the actors are great. I loved all the actors especially Sam Elliott and Debra Winger. When does season two come out.

40. nicole says:

I love the show they all work well together they swear alot but I love it regardless can’t wait to see more bout time I get a show I want to see more of loved them in that 70s show I still watch that too would love to see them bring some of the 70s show cast in a couple episodes of the ranch that would deff be great

41. Veronica says:

Love the whole cast of ranch , great show , I haven’t laughed this much over a show in years , love Sam Elliot , been watching him on movies and tv for years , thumbs up netflix !!!!!!

42. nattycocoa38 says:

Love it. Great cast.

43. Sandy says:

Loved The Ranch so funny hope it continues.

44. BarryFlash says:

I started watching this show last night and watched all 10 episodes. I ended up really liking it and the cast.

45. Cyn Mackley says:

Very good. A pleasure to watch a superb cast in their comfort zone. Kutcher and Masterson seem barely unable to contain their joy at working together. The show is intelligent and no one is a stereotype. Just when you think they might be, the show say, “nope, this here’s a person, too.”

46. Julia Pierce says:

I LOVE the show. And Sam Elliot. I HATE portraying the women as whores and sluts. It’s old, it’s tired, it’s disgusting. Aren’t the writers talented enough to make women interesting without the whore factor? Yes, they are, so why do it? I won’t let my kids watch it and I’m getting to the point where even I don’t want to watch it. CUT IT OUT! NO MORE WHORES!

• nattycocoa38 says:

How are the women whores?Is it because they like sex! Debra’s character wants to sleep with her sexy husband and the 23 year old sleeps with a hot man that she likes! All these women are smart and self-sufficient:no woman is sleeping with anyone for money. Yes women of all ages like sex. This is not a children’s show. Some shows are just not for kids.

47. I love it! I love all of the characters. It is funny. I love Sam Elliot. He is sexy and an awesome actor. I love Deborah Winger. I think that this show has potential.

48. zeb says:

Every time I watched and episode I needed a cold one if anything beer sales went up on season one.

49. Vicky Cody says:

Watched all 10 episodes already and my family and I all LOVED it!! Nice to see Sam Elliot being so hilarious. He kept us laughing! Can’t wait for the next 10 episodes, and more and more (hint hint).