Legends Tomorrow Patrick J Adams

Legends of Tomorrow Casts Suits' Patrick J. Adams in Mystery Hero Role

While his Suits character cools his heels in the clink, Patrick J. Adams will “suit” up in a very different way for DC’s Legends of Tomorrow.

As first reported by TVLine, a hero boasting “a mysterious past and equally mysterious agenda” will drop in on the titular Legends in the already-renewed CW drama’s freshman finale (airing May 19). Only described as “a beloved superhero from the DC canon,” the character will not only provide a punctuation point for Season 1 but also a launching point for Season 2, where he will recur in a handful of episodes.

While there has been much speculation about the beloved superhero’s identity in the weeks after TVLine broke the news, we have since learned that one possibility can be ruled out: time traveler Booster Gold.

EW.com first reported on Adams’ casting.

What do you think of the casting, and who is your current pick for the “beloved superhero”?

1. Annabelle says:

Wait how can he be on both this and Suits at the same time? I know Suits is a summer show but still… surely it’ll be a tight fit?

2. mike says:

Terry McGinnis Batman from Batman Beyond?

3. mike says:

or nightwing

4. wrstlgirl says:

Ohhhhh NICE!!!

5. Am I the only one who’s quite surprised by this addition/actor-show matchup??!!

6. Goldenvibefan says:

Not booster gold? Whaaaat da heck? It would make so much sense. I have 0 clue about who it is now.

7. Marco says:

Blue Beetle? The new incarnation of Hawkman?

• Delirious says:

From all the flashbacks from different centuries, one would think they have the same look in each of their reincarnations…

8. Bwhit says:

I appreciate this show for bringing Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell back to my TV and now they bring in Patrick Adams? I love these casting decisions! I know it’s a guest role but this should be fun :)

9. Unknown says:

Why is Booster Gold ruled out ? Did I miss something?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

We’ve heard things.

• Azerty says:

Looks like you guys at Tvline know who he will play but for the sake of surprising season finale twist you are not allowed/willing to tell, am I right? :D. Booster Gold would have made perfect sense but I am glad he is not him, not even close to my favorite top 10 DC characters, and I definitly want to be surprised!

• Phoenix5634 says:

Haha yeah, he won’t say, I’ve tried before lol :p he probably has a pretty good idea tho, he actually gets to go on set with the actors and people.

• DC is planning a movie with the blue and gold team of Booster Gold and Beetle so they are off limits for now after the booster gold tv how that was in development got canned.

10. Marvel Guy says:

He has James Van Der Beek size forehead going on. Congrats on downgrading to the CW network

• Brigid says:

Not that you could understand from atop your high horse, but The CW has some of the best written shows on TV. Having a job no matter what network it’s on isn’t a downgrade, Don’t be a snob.

• Lea says:

Go back to Agents of SHIELD, Marvel Guy. They need all of the 12 people who care about it in the entire world.

• kitsunesaru says:

I dunno why you gotta bring AoS into this (it’s been picked up for another season after all). Some of us like the CW/DC shows and the Marvel shows. Just because one noodle-head feels the need to bash CW doesn’t mean it’s AoS’ fault! *grab picket sign* We want peace! We want peace! We want cheese! We want peace!

• Vince says:

Hahahaha SHIELD losing to a CW show in ratings. Pathetic!!
      Fractional 4th season here we come.

• LT says:

LOL. I watch more shows on The CW than any other network. People are missing out if they aren’t watching the hot stuff on The CW.

11. GD says:

Adam Strange, Doctor Fate, Ted Kord?

• scoobarama says:

I thought of both Adam Strange and Doc Fate as well. Both would be a great fit for this show.

• Paul says:

Doctor Fate, written properly, is immensely powerful. Also, it would introduce magic (unless they changed the character, and why do that), which they have so far stayed away from. Doesn’t actually fit, IMO. Adam Strange is certainly possible, although describing him as “beloved” is probably a stretch. Possibilities? Obsidian, Wildcat (probably the wrong body type).

12. Daisy says:

I’m still annoyed with him for the Suits finale. I’ll watch anyway but forgiveness takes time.

13. Luis says:

Perhaps a recurring role next year? Perhaps a sign that “Suits: is headed toward its final season?

14. Mary says:

I like the idea of Nightwing

15. Normandy says:

He’s going to play someone who claims to be Green Lantern but he doesn’t actually have a ring and isn’t a member of the Green Lantern Corps. =D

16. Starman. We’ve just seen Harrison Wells’ daughter head to Opal City on The Flash, I think that’s where Laurel and Sara Lance’s mother lives, and we’ve seen teasers for Golden Age-linked characters the Sandman, Red Tornado (Ma Hunkel, not the android), and Hourman.

17. I know I just said Starman … but it also occurs to me that I think we heard a mention of Hub City recently. He could be appearing as The Question, looking into a lost history of superhumans running around through the 20th century or even earlier (aka, the team’s appearances in time plus also Vandal Savage, Ra’s al Ghul, and Damien Dahrk).

• I’m more convinced of this second theory after looking at the article again. The Question would very much “provide a punctuation mark” for season 1 — given that the donning of his signature faceless mask is often accompanied by a cloud of smoke that in the shape of a question mark. The reference to donning a different suit not only plays off the actor’s regular gig on USA but also to The Question’s costume, which is usually a suit accompanied by a trenchcoat and that faceless mask. And the repeated use of the term “mysterious” would be appropriate for what is at its root a detective character.

(For those unfamiliar with the character — “beloved” in a cult classic sense — think Rorschach from Watchmen, except a bit more sane and less violent. Rorschach was, after all, based on The Question.)

• BarryFlash says:

I only know The Question from Justice League Unlimited but that would be awesome.

• sev619 says:

I love your theory but his alter ego – Victor Zsasz – was a recurring character on Gotham. Still possible, I guess.

• karkzilla says:

Different guy, Victor Zsasz is the Batman enemy. Victor Szasz aka Vic Sage is the Question, but I do get the confusion since they have essentially the same name.

• dan says:

Boy, it seems like you’ve guessed it.

• Delirious says:

I like the theory, but… Would he qualify as a “beloved hero from DC canon”? That phrase makes me think of someone along the lines of the (yes, confirmed as a NOPE) Booster Gold or Ted Kord, who sounds like a definite possibility.

And people are mentioning Nightwing quite a bit. And as much as I’d love that, the whole “yes! wait, no! wait, yes! wait, we don’t know!” thing with the potential Titans show could block that option.

18. Gerald says:

I’;ve not been the biggest fan of this show, but for sure I will watch for Patrick.

19. Eric says:

If not Booster Gold, maybe Ted Kord aka Blue Beetle? He could maybe lay the foundation to eventually introduce Booster, who would be a perfect fit for the show.

20. Tony Lang says:

I say Doctor Fate.

21. clintbrew says:

Denny colt aka the spirit he a cop from central city who died and came back from the dead the film was pretty good the actor who played the spirit in the film was good

• Steve F. says:

The actor that played The Spirit in the movie was Gabriel Macht (Harvey on Suits). Wonder what he’ll think of his costar if Patrick was playing him?

22. ToyCannon says:

Please be Nightwing.

23. Laura says:

Don’t think it’s Hal Jordan I’m sure I read they were not able to have him I hope Dr fate also.

24. Joey Padron says:

Happy Patrick will be on the show! Can’t wait to see which DC character he’ll play in season finale!

25. brawl2099 says:

The Legends producers have also said it’s not Terry Guinness from Batman Beyond (this morning on Comic Book Resources).

26. Denise says:

Loving this news…

27. Amanda says:

Love this!!! I loved him on “Orphan Black” too. The character that popped in my mind was Hal Jordon, The Green Lantern. We saw in season 1 of “The Flash” a military plane crashed and the pilot was missing, which most think is Hal. He was really good friends with Barry in the comics and on Earth 2 Barry’s phone’s contacts showed he was friends with Hal, Bruce, and Diana so I figured they’d show up. It’ll be a few years before we get a “Green Lantern” movie anyway and there already is a different Flash actor in the films so it could work.

28. John says:

Damn, there goes my hope for the beloved superhero being Constantine

29. Gina says:

Is it terrible that I don’t really care who he will be playing?
    I’m just glad I get to see PJA on my tv a bit more. =)

30. Natalie says:

Hourman? I remember a few years ago The CW had intentions of bringing that character to life for his own series. Plus the Legends of Tomorrow Instagram account teased his arrival a few months back.

• JFrizz says:

I agree, It could be HourMan! He would make sense for any timeline they might jump to… There are a lot of good predictions here; the question, dr. fate, blue beetle. No matter his character I’m excited. I really like Patrick J Adams.

31. Summer says:

Animal Man

32. Bernice sharp says:

Best choice ever !!

33. Stephon JS says:

Maybe Hal Jordan

34. Christopher says:

Why not Booster Gold? It’s insane that Booster Gold isn’t on this show already. The choices made with regard to the characters included on this show are so stupid. I mean the show is pretty fun, but why this cast of heroes? Rip picked the absolute worst assortment of protagonists possible. I love every scene that Wentworth Miller is in, he is hilarious, but taking Captain Cold and Heatwave on this mission was insanely stupid. Atom was so much more fun on Arrow, and the show has suffered for losing him. Same with White Canary. I also think that Kendra would have been better utilized on the Flash as Cisco’s love interest. Kord industries has been mentioned multiple times on Arrow, nothing would help this show out more than adding Blue And Gold to the mix – it would be amazing. The character plots now are already mind numbingly repititious to the point where I watch with one fing3er on the fast forward button. If I have to hear one more time about how Kendra used to be a barista, I’m going to stop drinking coffee permanently. And don’t even get me started on the lame arguments between the professor and his better firestorm half.

Animal man would be an amazing addition to this show. The Grant Morrison run of Animal Man is one of the best things I’ve ever read in any genre. CW should make this character happen.

35. Phoenix5634 says:

Cast Michael Shanks for a role on one of these DC shows please

36. Unknown says:

If he is recurring character and they are traveling through time I would think he has to be a character who would do some time traveling as well if not we would see him at different ages granted they could do make up to look older but I dunno we also don’t know how many episodes he will be in next season so aging him might not matter

• Phoenix5634 says:

Don’t forget they can/ have traveled space too. And green lantern core consists of many different lanterns throughout time, and space.

37. Been a fan of Suits and certainly Patrick adams good actor.will watch legends

38. TVFan says:

Based on this line from the article…
    “the character will not only provide a punctuation point”
    I think he will be playing The Question.

39. Andrew says:

I think it could be Dr. Fate there was a great deal of talk about “fate” among current characters recently

40. Jake says:

Alan Scott, first Green Lantern, with keeping in the Berlanti-verse of diversity. Scott is gay.

41. Thomas Baldridge says: