Grey's Anayomy Season 13 Megan

Alyson Hannigan Named New Host of Penn & Teller: Fool Us at the CW

Penn & Teller: Fool Us will kick off its third season by making Jonathan Ross disappear.

The CW announced Thursday that erstwhile Buffy the Vampire Slayer witch Alyson Hannigan has replaced Ross as host of Fool Us, which is set to return this summer. A source describes Ross’ departure as a “mutual decision” between the British TV personality and The CW.

“My oldest daughter and I are huge fans of the show, so I am so excited to be hosting a program our whole family can watch together,” Hannigan said in a statement. “Not to mention, Penn & Teller are genius entertainers so any opportunity to work with them is amazing. And, of course, I’ve always wanted to play Vegas!”

Added Penn Jillette: “Teller and I are big fans of Alyson. She is talented, smart and funny. We are so happy that she’s joining us as host this season. She has promised us that she loves magic and can’t get enough. She’d better not be bluffing, because we’re going to give her more than enough.”

This marks Hannigan’s first major TV gig since How I Met Your Mother went off the air two years ago.

1. Steven says:

Oh no. I need start watching Penn and Teller now?

2. cuius says:

Jonathan Ross disappearing – says it’s for real and permanent

3. Ian says:

Ugh! You mean to tell me Alyson Hannigan couldn’t find a project worth her time?

• Cas says:

Right? I assume she took it because of the family element.

• dancmh says:

I always assume when an actor has been working for as long as she has….on back to back successful long-run shows…that she’s in a position now to do whatever appeals to her. This kind of light duty fluff gig might just be all she wants to do right now.

4. Bob Joseph says:

Jonathan Ross hosts the UK version.

• Brian says:

Which is the same show that was rebroadcast years later on the CW in America then it got a 2nd season order for the CW also with Ross hosting.

• CMG says:

There is only one version of the show. The first season was originally filmed in the UK and for ITV in the UK, but they then canceled the series. The first season was then broadcast in the US by the CW, and it was a minor hit for them. They then renewed it for a second season, which was filmed in the US exclusively for broadcast in the US on the CW. Both first and second seasons were hosted by Jonathan Ross.

• Colin Rutheford says:

That was the first season, which then played here. Second season Ross came to Vegas. Third season. . .he likely just opted out.

5. Ann says:

Awww. I liked Jonathan Ross. He was funny and pleasant. It’ll be weird seeing Alyson Hannigan hosting and not in an tv series.

6. Wordsmith says:

Hosting isn’t a huge commitment. Terry Crews hosts like three shows and still has a full time job at Brooklyn 99. Joel McHale did The Soup and Community at the same time.
    I’m sure she could handle another job if she wanted to, though maybe she picked this specifically because she wants family time and it’s a part-time gig.

7. Mr. Tran K says:

Nothing can’t replace Jonathan Ross as host of Penn & Teller: Fool Us. I mean he was great in the UK for his weekly talk show on BBC.

8. QueenB says:

She played a witch on BTVS on The WB for five seasons and two season on UPN so this makes sense to me. Its a homecoming of sorts and she’s hosting which isn’t a huge commitment and won’t affect her rep. She hit the lottery when she was cast as Lily on HIMYM. Lighting rarely strikes twice and she’s wise to take gigs like this instead of singing on for a series regular on a comedy or drama that would most likely be canceled and because she’s been a tv star for twenty years she’d be blamed which would limit her options. She’s not stupid she’s doing it for the reasons she stated she’ll make her return to tv as a star when she lands the right vehicle.

9. TERRY STEWART says:

I am so Happy that Alyson will be hosting this show! I love watching her in anything.

10. I am so Happy that Alyson will be hosting this show. I Love watching her in anything!

11. Jeff says:

Sorry to hear this – personally, I very much enjoyed Ross, but have never found Hannifin particularly interesting. So, not an impotent, imho.

12. Caroline says:

Already done. Just not working.

13. Tiffany Nona says:

Thiso woman who hosts is horrible she looks like a fool and she doesn’t have 1 ounce of personality. I tried watching but just can’t with her on it..

14. Mary Johnson says:

Why does she wear the same dress each week on Penn and Teller fool us?

15. Joan says:

Why does Alyson wear the same dress week after week!

16. Debbie Stewart says:

Why does she wear the same dress every single show??? Not much class in our book.

17. Molly C says:

Alyson wears the same dress because they shoot several episodes at once but don’t broadcast them in the same order. So it’s for the continuity over many episodes .BTW Penn ad Teller and for that matter Jonathan all wear the exact same outfits in every episode too but no one has noticed or commented on that

18. Scott K says:

I I also have been a fan and I think Alyson is a beautiful woman. Flaunt it if you got it Hannigan. Your fans want to see you wear anything but blue. Why do I care?Probably because the same dress is oh so boring.

19. Bob Zeason says:

Does Alyson only own 1 dress? Or was the whole season filmed in one day and she didn’t think to bring changes for each show? Producers shoubld have explained that to her. P&T have different suits for each episode.

20. Audra says:

Why does she ALWAYS wear the same dress???

21. Sandy Jones says:

Love the show!

22. Lana says:

Please please but her a new dress already. Penn & Teller can afford it. Allyson go shopping.

23. Jon Kruse Sr says:

Buy her a new dress!

24. Annette says:

Why does she wear the same blue dress all the time???

25. Marion says:

I enjoy watching you on Penn & Teller – however, I wish they would give you a raise in salary so you could at least treat yourself to another outfit – I’m sick of seeing you in the same blue dress all the time…