New Girl 100th Episode

TVLine Items: New Girl Doubles Down, Moonbeam City Cancelled and More

Fox is making itself really comfortable in the New Girl loft this spring.

TVLine has learned that the Zooey Deschanel comedy will begin airing two new episodes on Tuesday nights, beginning April 19 and concluding with the May 10 season finale.

According to a Fox rep, the double-pumps are purely out of necessity, since New Girl‘s fifth season runs a full 22 episodes but didn’t premiere until January.

All told, New Girl‘s final run of installments will go like this: The April 19 episodes will air back-to-back from 8 to 9 pm. Then, starting April 26, new half-hours will air from 8 to 8:30 and 9 to 9:30 pm.

Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…

* Comedy Central has cancelled its animated comedy Moonbeam City after one season, Deadline reports.

* DC’s Legends of Tomorrow has added Mitchell Kummen (When Calls the Heart), who will guest-star in the April 21 episode as a young Mick Rory aka Heat Wave, per Variety. (Fun fact: This is the second time Kummen has played a younger version of a character on a Greg Berlanti show. He was also Young John on The Tomorrow People.)

* Sheila Vand (State of Affairs) has joined Fox’s 24: Legacy pilot in the series-regular role of Nilaa, the driven and intelligent campaign director of Jimmy Smits’ Sen. Donovan, Deadline reports.

* TLC has greenlit its first scripted series, Too Close to Home, which will be written, directed and exec-produced by Tyler Perry. According to THR, the eight-part drama centers on a young woman who must return to her trailer-park roots after her political career is derailed by a well-publicized affair with a married senator.

1. Mark says:

I wish I could say I was sorry about Moonbeam City. Great cast, good premise, but it never hooked me.

• Wordsmith says:

I agree – the concept, the look and the voice talent were all genius, but somehow the execution just fell flat.

2. Yay! Another Tyler Perry movie or TV show that demonizes women who cheat while offering no punishment towards the men!!!

3. iHeart says:

tell me again has New Girl been renewed?

4. Bill says:

What is being bumped for New Girl? Grandfathered or The Grinder?

5. anon says:

Sure didn’t stop Fox running Bones into late June this season and last season….guess June is only for Bones, cos it’s special *sighs*

6. Zainab says:

Happy about New Girl, its one of my favorite comedies. I’m still not sure about the 24 reboot Keith will always be my Jack Bauer but I’ll give it a try. I remember the young John from Tomorrow People it was such a good still bummed that it got canceled

7. jj says:

Mitchell Kummen as a young Luke Mitchell was great casting. Mitchell Kummen as a young Dominic Purcell…seems questionable.

8. JIm J. says:

Mixed reviews + Failure to catch on with viewers = You’re not going to be seen as a potential successor to “South Park”. Now, there’s a chance that Comedy Central may not see a “potential successor” to “South Park” until the very end of this decade.

9. V says:

Before it subjected us to Honey Boo Boo and the Duggars, TLC used to stand for “The Learning Channel”. Anyone remember that? What exactly are we supposed to learn from their first scripted series? That they couldn’t find space for it on OWN? Hey-o!

10. Cas says:

I like New Girl but loved the episodes with Megan Fox. I didn’t realize how annoying Jess was until she wasn’t around.