the voice adam wakefield

The Voice Recap: Knockouts! Who's There?

What is a Knockout Rounds episode of The Voice without the sound of Carson Daly busting a blood vessel in his brain while screaming “WE’VE GOT A STEAL!!!!”?

We learned the answer to such an unthinkable question on Tuesday night’s pithy (and Steal-free) one-hour installment, which reinforced the eye-popping depth of Team Xtina, reminded us that it’s never a wise idea to write off Team Blake, and cemented my overall feeling that Miley Cyrus will be a reasonably good coach when she joins NBC’s reality singing competition on a full-time basis next fall.

(Still, while Miley is definitely winning me over, could someone please explain to this ready-to-be-put-out-to-pasture recapper why she would wear that ill-fitting blue plush heart as a bustier — especially since, unlike Adam’s ridic pink hair, it’s not even being used for comic relief?)

While you focus on answering one of the more vexing questions of our modern times, allow me to count down this week’s Knockout Rounds results in order from least- to most-promising winner:

3. Team Pharrell: Moushumi – Halsey’s “New Americana” defeats Nick Hagelin — Robin Thicke’s “Lost Without You” | I loved Moushumi’s Blind Audition cover of “Wicked Game” so much that I am not ready to dismiss her as a potential front-runner. But despite her beautifully airy tone on the verses, it felt like she put a lid on her emotions and never really brought to life the soaring chorus of “New Americana.” Nick’s gorgeous falsetto made this the closest Knockout of the night, but the way he struggled to keep up the quick cadence on parts of the verses sealed his fate — even though he’d have made a much better steal than Monday night’s Lacy Mandigo or perhaps even Ryan Quinn.

2. Team Xtina: Tamar Davis – Sam Smith’s “Lay Me Down” defeats Maya Smith — Alicia Keys’ “No One” | Tamar’s got incredible range and projection — both of which made her the obvious winner of her Knockout – but I thought she overbaked the chorus a little. You don’t need to pass a gallstone to let me know you’re deep in heartache, OK, Tamar? And on Xtina’s super deep Season 10 bench, you won’t be able to make any missteps going forward. Lucky for Tamar, Maya was consistently sharp for at least half her performance, making Xtina’s decision a no-brainer.

1. Team Blake: Adam Wakefield – Sam Cooke’s “Bring It on Home to Me” defeats Peyton Parker — Dixie Chicks’ “Traveling Soldier” | Xtina’s got a “country crush” on Adam (whatever that means) and it’s not hard to understand why. He’s got the kind of grit and growl to be a legitimate country-charts contender, but a deep well of soulfulness that allows him to sound totally convincing tackling the legendary Sam Cooke. Don’t be shocked if he winds up in the finale. Against Adam’s effortless excellence, poor Peyton’s half-dozen flubs proved deadly — which isn’t to say the gal doesn’t have some chops of her own!

What did you think of The Voice‘s second set of Season 10 Knockouts? Any potential winners in the mix? Take our poll, then sound off in the comments!

1. joan lee parkes says:

Before this week I had written Miley off as a talentless slut. I was wrong. She knows her stuff and actually offers real advice who knew

• dan says:

Everyone who watched her mentor on Idol. She was great there. I look forward to seeing her next season.

• Gailer says:

I knew she had talent and will make a fine judge

• Jesse says:

I have a lot of respect for Miley as a musician…not always a fan of her performances (although I loved her SNL performance of 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover). But I have even more respect for who she is as a person; she stands for love and acceptance. I understand why she off-putting, but at least she lives honestly.

• JoMarch says:

Oh, puhlease! Love, Acceptance and living honestly. Gosh, I thought she was just a tongue protruding, do-anything-to-call-attention-to herself skank. I stand corrected! (BTW I do think she’s talented which puts her a smidge above Kim Kardashian).

2. Omarr says:

Moushumi, Adam Wakefield and Tamar Davis are all favorites of mine, but Tamar took the night for me! Her audition and battle performances were really good but still lacked some depth for me. Tonight she really slayed! And might I add that the last time The Voice had a legit strong African American female vocalist it was TWO SEASONS AGO! I’ve been waiting for someone like Tamar since India and Kimberly got eliminated in Season 8

• davmon says:

Really well said! I especially liked Tamar and Moushumi. As for Season 8? As much as I liked India & Kimberly, my fave was Koryn Hawthorne; she was amazing on Make It Rain and on Oh Mary Don’t You Weep! ;Tamar is the best in that vein since Koryn.

• The Beach says:

That was a really easy decision for Christina. Tamar won that one going away. It wasn’t even close.

3. Trent says:

Not much to write home about besides Adam and Tamar. Everyone else was forgettable

4. Brian says:

I thought Moushumi was very good. She does the breathy type singing better than any previous contestant (Melanie Martinez, Holly Henry, countless others…)

• Andres says:

I wouldn’t say she is better than melanie but she is up there.

• davmon says:

Brian, I was blown away in those first 10 seconds when Moushumi led-in with delicate ethereal phrasing! IMO her non-Western heritage lent acquaintance with alternate intervals and semitones that, for those few moments, washed over us like waterfall spray at dawn! Then she settled into a serviceable pocket that was warm and fine….Nick was a likeable guy; but spending an entire song up in his head voice drove me out of the house and into the yard….Go Moushumi! .

• The Beach says:

So true. Her opening was just beautiful and to me the most memorable part of her performance.

• Oscarpig says:

Would love to hear Moushumi sing a better song. If she wants to win the hearts and minds of the voting audience that type of song will only alienate

• Jenna says:

See, I think she could’ve put a little more energy into it but I think it was a very smart song choice, she picked something cool and modern and contemporary rather than choosing one of the many overdone, cliche cheesy singing competition songs a lot of contestants normally choose. She picked something new and fresh from one of the biggest new artists of the past year. I was into it.

• davmon why do I always agree with you. I loved Moushumi, and not only because the love of my life is also Indian. She has a special something.

5. Gailer says:

No one wanted to steal Nick? Michael’s comment about Carson’s screaming, we got a steal, cracked me up! Lol so true, it’s crazy how he behaves

6. Tammi T says:

Gross, Adam, Blake and Gwen keep me coming back but if Ms. Cyrus comes back next year I will be unable to watch. 😩 Our family was such big fans of hers on Disney, watching her grow up. I don’t know what happened, but we are very disappointed in her.

• Jesse says:

Hmmm…Miley acted respectful and supportive. You may not like her new music and public antics, but she was perfectly fine on The Voice…don’t really see the problem.

7. Tammi says:

Sad, Miley is just sad to see on such a great show

• MamaLis says:

Huh? What’s not to like? She’s personable. Smart. Honest. Helpful. Articulate. Intuitive. Extremely Musical. Engaging. What am I missing? I think you need to get over it.

• The Beach says:

I think Miley is a hoot. I like her.

• Jenna says:

In my opinion, Miley is the first coach or mentor EVER on the show who has provided actual constructive advice and critiques for the contestants to use in their performance rather than saying vague meaningless phrases like “embrace your light” or some other bs. And girl can sing for sure.

I don’t get why people don’t want her on the show, she’s got the talent and the experience and chops to coach so what’s the issue?

And I just find it funny that everyone I know who has some sort of weird moral objection to her being on the show is totally fine with Blake freakin Shelton as a judge lol

8. davmon says:

Adam is getting the most votes; but I preferred Tamar’s soulfulness and the fullness of her entire dynamic range (Impressive!) and Moushumi’s other-worldly elements and warm textures (Lovely!). Still, Adam has a unique sound which seems manly and rugged, even though it is pitched high; but it can get unpleasantly thin when it goes too high….I could imagine him doing well with some Willie Nelson country or even some Leon Russell and Dr. John rockin’ blues!

• The Beach says:

I love Southern Rock so Adam is my favorite. I think he’s really great.

• Timmah says:

I don’t get the fuss over Adam. There’s nothing original or interesting about him to me, and I feel like we’ve seen a hundred of his type on this show before. I actually didn’t think Moushimi was that great either. Overall, a really disappointing night.

9. Jasper says:

A straightforward night overall; the winners were the chear winners and the losers deserved to go home, *sigh* even Maya. Adam, Tamar, and Moushumi all solidified themseves as frontrunners for this season, and I’d be surprised if they didn’t make the cut.

10. I found Mushoumi to be mucho boring. And I’m finding this season hard to watch because I loved Jeffery Austin so much last season. There are no Jeffery’s this season. Jeffery’s version of Lay By Your Side was so masterful that it made Tamar’s seem just okay. Now I’m sad.

11. analythinker says:

This knockout round was almost too easy, because the “losers” choked. What happened with staying on pitch??

• Angie_Overrated says:

No One by Alicia Keys was painful. That was one of the worst performances I can remember in recent history. I’m guessing nerves got the best of her?

• analythinker says:

It had to be, although contrary to some people, I didn’t particularly like what Tamar did with the song. The runs were kind of weird for me.

12. Tina McGrath says:

I don’t think Miley is talentless, I just feel very strongly that she doesn’t belong on this show. The coaches are seasoned veterans of the music industry and their experiences and expertise are what make this show so much fun. Furthermore, this is a show that you and your children can watch together. I think Miley could be absolutely amazing if she stopped trying to “shock” everyone. She chose to brand herself the way she has and while her antics may be great for MTV, this is not the platform. I’m not a prude or against people expressing themselves. I just think everything has it’s place. I have absolutely no doubt that bringing her to this show will damage it. Mostly because parents who want their children to have better role models will not watch. NBC has received hundreds of thousands of letters begging them to remove her. We boycotted this week and will return next week to finish out the season but we will not watch next season or any season that has her on it.

• Annie says:

Hmm. So you haven’t even given Miley a chance. You haven’t even watched her as a mentor since you said you boycotted this week. Let me tell you something. She has been amazing. She is on point and knows exactly what she is talking about. In fact, she has been a breath of fresh air. And before you start thinking that I am some young teeny-bopper, no I am not. I am in my late 40s, mom of 3, grandma to one. My kids grew up watching Miley on Hannah Montana. While I might not agree with certain choices she has made, I have always respected Miley Cyrus as an entertainer. Her Backyard Sessions are incredible. It’s your prerogative to not watch the show but you are truly missing out.

• Kailani says:

I’m 64, didn’t want Miley, but have watched and been impressed. Her clothes were no more stupid than Adam’s hair. LOL I think she’s been a fun and actually savvy and industry-wise addition to the team. Better than Gwen has been.

• davmon says:

I feel almost exactly the same. Am 61. Have been shocked that she has done stuff as crazy as I did back in the day! Was ready to not like her as coach. But she seems darn good. Of course, the editing has ignored the coaching by the coaches, so that Miley gets all the cred. That is blatant and deceptive. It would feel more right if they mixed it up. They are making the coaches look like they are phoning it in.

• Jenks says:

So maybe Miley has outgrown her outrageous phase and is now poised to take on more adult roles. She has been great on the show so far. Maybe you should give her a chance before you judge so harshly. Her clothes, which you railed on in another post, are no more outrageous than stuff Gwen wore last season, and what about the seasons where all you could see of Christina was her cleavage? Did you let your kids watch then?

• Jenna says:

She’s been amazing. Definitely has enough experience and talent to coach, she’s been in this business for ages.

And when did people begin expecting random grown adults to act like nuns to be “role models”? When I was growing up, my mom didn’t have those expectations, she just raised me right because, ya know, she was a parent and that’s her job and all.

And if I was going to agree with the concept of role model celebrities and I had a kid, I would be thrilled if they chose Miley to look up to. Ambitious, talented, hardworking, kind, charitable, generous, confident, self assured–all things I would be proud to see in a child of mine.

• TinLV says:

Miley did a good job mentoring these contestants. She knows her stuff and was great at offering suggestions and construction criticism. She is a seasoned veteran, the girl has been in the public eye most of her life and she’s popular because she is talented. So what she went thru a wild-child phase ( who hasn’t ? ) and she could really use a stylist, but I think she’s going to do just fine as a judge next season..

• Is this fear that she will behave outrageously on the show, perhaps brandishing sex toys while giving her critiques? Because that isn’t going to happen. Or is this fear that since she has been risqué while performing in other venues that she is somehow contaminated? Because if you think her expression of sexuality makes this show less family friendly, you probably haven’t listened to Maroon 5’s lyrics. Or Cee Lo (an accused rapist) making gross remarks to female contestants. Miley is no more explicit than Christina was in her early days, really. I don’t see how she changes the tenor of the show in any way.

• Allie says:

My 13 year old daughter and I watch The Voice together. She is well aware of Miley’s past behavior and asked why I still like her. I said, “listen to her voice. Listen to her advice…what do you hear/” She said she sounded great and gave excellent advice. Hmmm. Terrible role model? I don’t think so. I think this is a woman who grew up in front of the world and had an awkward stage when she was trying to figure out who she was. Not so different from Drew Barrymore, Christina, and many others. But TODAY she seems poised, articulate, kind and talented… someone I think is a good role model.

• JM1 says:

Tina – Not a Miley lover but honestly, she has every right to coach this show.

(1) Experience/expertise: She’s been in the industry for, what?, 10 years or so, with great success.

(2) It’s a show to watch with children: have you never noticed that Blake can’t say a full sentence w/o cursing? Or that Adam calls Blake stupid at least once a show?

(3) Role models: Yes, Miley does stupid shock value stuff (as most of us did to lesser extents at that age). But arguably she’s a better role model than many female singers. Christina, Gwen, Mariah, Beyonce, Nikki Minaj . . . all act like being sexy is the most important thing a woman can be. Too much fake hair and makeup, skimpy outfits, plastic surgery. These women have too much talent to act so desperate to be sexy all the time. How about just relying on their amazing talent? Or being other things, like smart, quirky, fierce or funny? Even when Miley is nearly naked, it comes across more as being silly or smart-a$$ than sexy.

• davmon says:

Great point on #3! The fake, plastic dolls you alluded to are no role models. They act less the established star than desperate to be the next hot music video babe. Miley’s clothing optional phase was startling; but no more than Janis clad in just beads or John & Yoko oft-posed fabric-free or Madonna hitchhiking with only a cigarette or Alanis strolling L.A. wearing just a smile or Erykah bared for a video shoot in Dealey Plaza.

• Tina, I agree. She did ok on The Voice, but I just cant get out of my mind, the awards show she did with Robin Thick, sticking her tongue out and bending over! I’m not a prude either, but Miley overdid it, and tons of kids watch the Music Awards. Kinda bothered me. My thought is, if she cared about being a great role model, she would not have done the things she has done. I’m quite sure many people with kids, wont be watching next season.

13. joy says:

Wow Adam! Adam fills the shoes of someone from country who I have missed for years. Adam reminds of Travis Tritt who had so many hits and then just disappeared. I’ve wanted someone to come along and fill that hole and I feel Adam does. As far as Miley I think she has done the best job of giving helpful suggestions than anyone I’ve seen on this show. I think she will be a great coach.

14. Kat says:

I like Christina but when making comments on the other judge’s knockouts, why does she always have to say ” I pushed my button for you but you chose. ..”?! Then she’ll say she would choose so and so, who is always the other singer. Almost like she is saying….you didn’t choose me so I am not going to choose you

• Interesting insight, Kat. I didn’t notice that, but will have to watch out for it. A rather petty approach to feedback…let’s hope it’s a coincidence! :)

• Oscarpig says:

That’s her ego talking. It’s very large. She is an amazing singer but arrogant vindictive and not a nice person. She was the one who prevented any other coach to be female while she was coach. No competition for the spotlight. It wasn’t the producers it was Christina

15. Derrick P says:

Adams insanely deep bench (that left Taylor Phelan out of his top 3) came back to bite him when CWB beat em all. Wakefield is a front runner.

16. Allie says:

Adam and Alison in finale.Calling it now. And I’m really enjoying Miley – she is growing up, knows who she is as a woman and a performer and sounds great.

17. EyeRoller says:

Wow, I see NBC has their Miley Socks out in full force! LIttle hint, it’s a lot easier to swallow if you didn’t misspell the same words in mutiple posts exactly the same way!