The Blacklist Spinoff Famke Janssen

The Blacklist Spinoff Eyed at NBC, Famke Janssen Set as Female Lead

Spinoff-happy NBC is looking to turn another one of its hit dramas into a bonafide franchise.

The Peacock network is developing a spinoff of The Blacklist, with How to Get Away With Murder‘s Famke Janssen set as the female lead.

The May 12 episode of The Blacklist — directed by Justified vet Michael Dinner — will serve as a backdoor pilot for the potential series. Janssen’s character, Susan “Scottie” Halsted, will be introduced in the May 5 episode.

Rumor has it that Blacklist regular Ryan Eggold will have a major role in the project, with Tom and Scottie’s relationship mirroring the mothership’s Liz (Megan Boone)/Red (James Spader) dynamic.

A source, meanwhile, stresses that there is currently no series commitment for the spinoff. A decision will likely be made in May. (The Blacklist was already renewed for a fourth season, FYI.)

The news comes as NBC is preparing to expand its Chicago Fire franchise via a fourth program, titled Chicago Justice.

Thoughts? Is The Blacklist strong enough to support a second series? Hit the comments!

1. Whatevah says:

What makes The Blacklist special is James Spader. Without James Spader, it’s an average show. So this idea is meh

• sanchopanza says:

Trouble is, this gives no hint what the show would actually be about. A star and a crossover character or two, well, so what? I’m not champing at the bit for a Famke Janssen show. So, Michael, this leaves us kinda unexcited.

• Who’s us? Say “me” not “us” when saying your opinion on something, your not speaking for everyone! I for one am excited at the idea of Famke Janssen being in a series of her own! And though I do think the Blacklist is great mostly because of James Spader, you must remember that without the writers he wouldn’t have such cool things to say! They created his character, so maybe they can do the same for Famke, give her some great things to say and to do! Or maybe James Spader will show up there too!

• Jan says:

The Blacklist has good writers but it’s James Spader that makes the script believable. With him in a spinoff ..No–Not–Never.. He was The Blacklist.. It’s over, move on Mr. Spader, we will be watching and waiting for you .

• Mary Smolinsky says:

I agree, not excited about her either. I was not a fan of her in ‘Murder’. Guess we will have to see how the first few episodes go. Love Ryan though.

• Simon Jester says:

Agreed. That being said, “The Whitelist” would be a pretty good title! :-D

• Senff says:

That’s what people said about Breaking Bad and Bryan Cranston. And yet, the quality of Better Call Saul is getting dangerously close to thay of the mothership.

• David4 says:

No one has ever said that about Breaking Bad, it had the writing and the acting.

The Blacklist has James Spader, the writing is ‘meh’ at best.

• Amy says:

I disagree. That’s like saying Sam and Diane is what made Cheers special, so a Cheers spinoff would be meh… and look at what happened with Frasier. I doubt anyone saw the potential for a spinoff with that character before they actually saw it.

• Simon Jester says:

I know, right? That’s like saying that the Fonz is what made Happy Days special, so Joanie Loves Chachi would be meh. Or Mulder and Scully is what made X-Files special, so Lone Gunmen would be meh. Oh, wait…

• Amy says:

So are you saying Frasier was a flop? (I don’t know if there was an internet fandom back then but I guarantee there would’ve been numerous people predicting that it would based on exactly your line of reasoning.)

So what’s your logic? Some spinoffs fail and others succeed, so this one will definitely fail?

• Patti says:

Good point, Amy. Frasier was the most unlikely character to get a spin off and that show was the best! I will watch the spin off and give it a chance! You can never tell! :)

• Ginger Rogue says:

That true. Though, I’ve always thought the Tom Keen character is interesting and would be better used somewhere else. He’s outlived his usefulness on The Blacklist.

• Paatricia Rawlings says:

I have to agree with the Tom Keen character. He is of no use anymore. If we had a little more info regarding the new programme???

• WeeblyWoo says:

I loved his character in S1-S2 but I don’t see how they can keep him relevant to the main story anymore. At the same time I wouldn’t mind a show that focuses on his character. Ryan is charismatic enough to be a lead.

• David4 says:

Exactly. The Blacklist is a mindless mess of a show, nothing seems to happen at all in the first two seasons I have watched. But the episodes I have seen were still fun because of James Spader.

• Beth says:

Mindless mess? I have seen many shows that phrase could describe. But not the Black List. I would like to see more progression and growth of all the characters.

• KayrenD says:

I agree. meh. James Spader makes the show as interesting as it is, although Ryan Eggold is very easy on the eyes. :-)

2. JCPrime1 says:

I love Famke and and The Blacklist. Very interesting.

3. JCPrime1 says:

Would Tom leave The Blacklist then?

4. Mr. Tran K says:

Wonder if Famke Janssen’s character is like the female version of Raymond “Red” Reddington.

5. jj says:

“Rumor has it that Blacklist regular Ryan Eggold (aka Tom) will have a major role in the possible spinoff.”

Thanks for saying this. Means I don’t have to watch seeing he is the reason I stop watching Blacklist in the first place.

6. wrstlgirl says:

meh, The Blacklist started out fantastic but lately I’m only watching it out of habit hoping it will turn back around.

7. Amy says:

OMG I am a huge fan of Famke so the idea of her headlining a series makes me giddy!

8. Luis says:

More Famke is fine by me!

9. Ross says:

Great big ball of NOPE. Famke Janssen is a terrible actress.

10. Denise says:

This sounds terrible already…Tom needs to stay put on The Blacklist

• Sharon says:

I totally agree with you! If they want to TRY for a spinoff, go for it, but leave the Blacklist alone! It got weird with Liz and the murder arc storyline…glad that’s done…time to get back to the good stuff again with the team. They’re flayling with Tom’s character, and have been for awhile, like they aren’t sure what to do with him. Give him a story and settle him down already guys!

11. William says:

DAMNIT, I was really hoping that Famke would stay on HTGAWM fulltime. She fits into the show so nicely. *sigh*

• Annie says:

Same!!! That was my first reaction. Though this spinoff will likely serve as a mid season replacement so it might allow her to film both shows.

12. Mr Wiggly says:

i hope that if/when they do bring it to a series, they put it on a day where i don’t already watch a bunch of shows. i like Famke Janssen so i would definitely watch it. i started watching the Chicago shows, but ended up getting to far behind to binge watch and catch up, so i quit watching all 3 series.

13. That Tom could be spun off lends credence to my theory about Michael’s Blind Item on a show losing a lead character.

I think Liz is gone at the end of this season.

• Sharon says:

She’s the second main character. Most actors sign on for seven year cobtracts at the beginning of new series, especially new character actors. Spader may have less but that isn’t common. Of course, he can write his own ticket as an Executive Producer. He probably had a say in contract negotiations as well. Whi knows for sure right now but I guess we’ll find out. They are already renewed for next season so whatever happens, it won’t take place this season. Yay! 😊

• WeeblyWoo says:

Unfortunately it sounds possible.

14. Ben says:

I feel like season 3 of the Blacklist has been great but I doubt I’d watch a spinoff.

15. Ali Cole says:

No Spader, no watch

16. Prima Facie says:

Kind of makes sense. “The Blacklist” keeps drifting off the rails, I don’t even believe the premise is possible anymore, let alone probable. And since they’ve killed roughly 1 billion of the world’s 7 billion people, it’s hard to see where the show could go.

17. Matt C. says:

I’m a longtime fan of Famke, so I’d love to see her headline her own show. However, I’d also love to see her continue to pop in on HTGAWM (preferably full-time), so I’m torn on this!

18. Lynn says:

If this gets Tom off the Blacklist I’m all for it. I actually don’t mind him by himself or with Gina but when him with Liz I just can’t stand watching it any longer. I hope this doesn’t mean the blind item is Liz though. I had a feeling it could be the Blacklist. They better not be stupid enough to kill off Spader himself.

19. Marci says:

My only interest in this would be that it might mean that Elizabeth will not be marrying Tom.

20. fiberlicious says:

I’ll happily watch anything these producers make!

21. I like Famke Janssen so I would at least give the show a chance. Not really too excited about Tom being on the show…in fact after the Blacklist writers tell us the connection between Red and Liz, Liz and Tom can both go elsewhere. I do agree that James Spader makes the show. I have loved his quirky acting back to when he was on “The Practice” then “Boston Legal”.

22. Falcoln says:

I don’t support for the selfish reason that I want Famke to stay on HTGAWM (full time, if they’ll have her). She had some of the best on screen chemistry with Viola Davis that I’ve seen. And Davis needs more “grown ups” to play off of so that she can really show her chops.

23. Shapaq says:

Anything that gets The Tom Keen character off the Blacklist I’m all for. He outlived his usefulness months ago. I’m utterly sick of the Tom/ Liz soap opera. Just my opinion.

24. arlene says:

I like Famke no matter what she’s in, but without Spader, not so sure it will have the same power. But it is all in the script, so I’ll wait for the pilot to judge. (re the tagline ‘spin-off happy NBC,’ as it appeared in my inbox, how absurd. What is CBS and NCIS x 3, all spun off of JAG? Spin-off sad?)

25. davido says:

Would watch for Famke, but probably not because that bland cheesy Ryan Eggold. Already stopped watching Blacklist because of that useless and annoying Tom.

26. Denise says:

Tom needs to stay put on TB…i’m not really a fan of famke on HTGAWM so it will be good to know she’ll be engaged elsewhere with her own show

27. mac says:

I like Tom, so a Tom spin-off is perfect in my book

28. prada says:

I was hoping she’ll a regular in HTGAWM next season

29. Cas says:

I love her. And I love Tom :)

30. Lucie says:

What will happen to Liz? Maybe she can join the spinoff, too. Megan Boone loves working with Eggold. If I had to choose I’d pick watching Tom over Red.

• WeeblyWoo says:

He likes working with him but doesn’t like what they have to play.
      Some people say that romance with Tom “weakens” her character. Well, let’s see if it will improve without Tom.

31. Alice says:

Wow I love blacklist and seriously right now this is the best series ever. Keep up Red

32. Lou Orr says:

We haven’t been able to watch Blacklist in a very long time because NBC hasn’t aired it. We’d love to have more of it instead of a spinoff of what?!

• Nanny says:

When the show went on spring break they were filming episode 3.17. Basically, they ran out of episodes to air.

33. Joel Finch says:

Does it have to have Tommy? Can’t he just die….please.

34. Tom-VA49 says:

The Blacklist is still trying to find a consistent plot so I can’t imagine how a spin-off is something worth considering at this time. If it weren’t for James Spader I doubt the show will have been renewed.

Red needs a better lawyer. How about Denny Crane?

35. Chris says:

With the possible exception of Seth Meyers and the evening news, is there really any reason that we need NBC at all any more? No worthwhile comedies since “Parks & Rec” went away and no decent dramas since the original “Law & Order” got dumped. James Spader is fun, but wouldn’t that character be so much better on HBO or Showtime? Famke Janssen will be wasted in yet another mediocre NBC waste of time.

36. jack says:

nothing can top the Blacklist! don’t really think a spinoff will work with this.

37. tahonia2 says:

I’m forgetting to watch Blacklist, it airs so inconsistently. Tom is great but his and Liz’s storyline belong on a soap opera. And a baby? That’s life, but so inconsequential to the Blacklist premise. They need to fix Blacklist instead if trying to spin a new show, even though Tom needs his own platform…..

38. Belinda Green says:

It should, the Blacklist is an excellent show.

39. I would be Thrilled with a spinoff series. The show is so powerful and it would be amazing to see more in this universe.

40. Not looking forward to this. The Blacklist already forced Tom Keen into the storyline on the original show, so much it’s become hard to watch. Happy if he leaves for the spin-off, so I know which show not to watch.

41. Edd Pusch says:

Maybe if it has the mystery ,action and intrigue. I like the Blacklist . If it is as good , I am sure it will do very wel.

42. Only if they have someone a spectacular as James Spader…

43. Holly says:

I only watch the blacklist to see Eggold so will be happy to jump ship if he does

44. Spikenalabama says:

Please not her. Anyone but her.

45. Jennifer Cunningham says:

Tom Keen would make the spin-off worth looking at. I think he is fantastic

46. Troy says:

It’s one of the best shows on TV right now and I can’t wait for a new show to start up.

47. Janine Jennings says:

I love the Tom/Liz storyline which I think is due to the great connection between Ryan Eggold and Megan Boon. Iv always thought the character of Tom deserved bigger and better storylines so if that’s in the Blacklist or a spin-off I don’t mind. Ryan is too good an actor to have so little air time. Not sure Famke is the right Choice though as she would always be compared to James Spacer and that’s a hard act to follow.

48. Yash says:

Please don’t…

49. I love Ryan and Famke as actors and think they could carry on a mini series perfectly. But a whole show, I am not sure. As much as I liked the Tom Keen character, he doesn’t seem to have much storyline left on the Blacklist so perhaps giving Ryan a new show will be good as he has talent.

50. Lois says:

The Blacklist is strong enough, but I wouldn’t recommend it.. No one can compare to Red Reddinģton…I for one will NOT be watching.