Supergirl Flash Crossover Ratings

Ratings: Supergirl Gets 30 Percent Boost From Flash's Gleeful Crossover

Consider The Flash a superfriend with benefits.

Supergirl‘s visit from the CW speedster on Monday drew 7.24 million total viewers and a 1.7 rating, up 21 and 31 percent to bring to a screeching halt the CBS series’ four-week downward trend and lead all of the night’s scripted programs in the demo.

The yet-to-be-renewed Supergirl hit a four-week high in total audience while scoring its best demo number since Feb. 8. TVLine readers gave the well-promoted crossover an average grade of “A.”

Though not invited to Monday night’s DC-on-TV party, Fox’s Gotham (3.8 mil/1.3) held steady, as did its lead-out Lucifer (3.8 mil/1.2).

Leading out of #SuperFlash, CBS’ Scorpion (8.6 mil/1.6) ticked up from last week’s series low, while NCIS: LA (8.7 mil/1.2) dipped a tenth.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

THE CW | Each rebounding from series lows, Crazy Ex (921K/0.3) rose 30 and 50 percent while Jane (928K/0.4) grew 20 and 33 percent.

ABC | DWTS (11.8 mil/1.7) dipped 6 percent and a tenth. An encore of The Catch drew 4.3 mil/0.7.

NBC | The Voice (11.2 mil/2.8) was steady week-to-week, while Blindspot (6.1 mil/1.6) ticked up.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Tiff says:

Yessss. It earned. Supergirl was amazing last night.

2. GraceM says:

I’m not surprised that The Flash boosted the show. I’m just disappointed the show’s ratings are down so much from the beginning.

• Doug Henning says:

SG has a tough timeslot vs 2 Reality Shows… 1 that appeals to older folks and 1 that appeals more to slightly younger that draw over 10MM total each.. I think a show like SG is the best CBS could do.. I’m not even sure HIMYM would do against Dancing and Voice at the same time?? I’ll also be curious how the DVR numbers look.. It could be a big jump with people who are reality fans and catch up after the good word of mouth.

• courtellis says:

She needs to move to the Arrowverse and call it quits with all this dimensional jumping, I mean after all they share a universe come on help me out!!

3. wrstlgirl says:

That was a “super” fun episode last night. Loved it!!

4. heather says:

Go go Supergirl!!!!

Curious to know why Fox airs Lucifer at 9.01 and not 9.00 (according to press releases) what do they gain? Gotham bleed over?!

• Mad Hobbit says:

usually it is to mess up people recording and watching later

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Ha, that is obviously not the intent. I believe IDOL started this gaming of the system ages ago (when it was a behemoth), with the thinking to “make the viewer late” for their show on a rival channel and hopefully trick them into just staying put.

• Kathy says:

My DVR (DirecTV) picks up the correct time on all the shows that start late.
        I remember when TBS started all their shows at 5 minutes after the hour back in the 80s — that was done to get them a separate listing in TVGuide.

5. Ms Thang says:

Good news! Now, if only CBS will announce Supergirl’s renewal and make this day great!

6. iakovos says:

I bet SUPERGIRL soars this summer if repeated episodes are uninterrupted. The show is not a CBS type program, and it needs time to gel. Nto sure SCORPION and NCIS LA are best follow outs, but I sense it may remain that way as the veteran dramas were renewed.

7. Fred says:

Supergirl is a shoo-in to be renewed. Even at its low its CBS Best rated new show and 2nd Best rated new show on all networks

And it looks like no DC tv viewers from CW watches Gotham

8. Mr. Tran K says:

Last night’s Supergirl episode with The Flash was 100% awesome and with a big boost in numbers, CBS better renewed the Melissa Benoist led series.

9. hokiepokster92 says:

It took until mid-season for this show to find its footing and hit its stride. The show is getting better with each new episode. Berlanti and Kreisberg have done well with the CW shows it was only a matter of them to figure this one out. I’d like to see it renewed by CBS.

10. Jason says:

and all the new fans they gained will probably be lost becasue they’re going on another hiatus

11. Gail says:

Read an article with the producer that said Grant was able to film his scenes on Supergirl in 3 days and then came back for one more day. They made his presence a little light on the Flash during this time by filming him in one or two sets only. Now I have to figure out if I notice this or have those episodes of the Flash already been shown?

• Mo says:

Fingers crossed the Flash-light (ha hah!) eps have already been shown.

• John NYC says:

In a previous interview about the crossover I believe Grant mentions the sequence of episodes around this time segment. But I don’t recall the details, though something about they’re NOT “in order” precisely.

12. Summer says:

Renew this already, CBS.

13. kmw says:

Good for Supergirl now if only it can stay there. I wish Gotham and Lucifer had gone up bit but a least thy were steady.Nice that Blindspot went up as well.

14. Dmac says:

This isn’t necessarily good news. It means that the Flash brought in 30% more viewers which has no bearing on this show. They can’t rely on crossovers to boost ratings, especially crossovers via two different networks.

The series needs to stand in its own and while I think this a good show (not great but good) many do not, thus the falling ratings. It has a few kinks to work out which is not unexpected for a new show.

First and foremost quit pushing James and Kara as a couple, it feels forced, correction it IS forced. We are being told that this couple is THE couple on the show and the chemistry just doesn’t seem to be there. The iconic couples are the ones that were unexpected and happened naturally. Before the show even started we knew that James and Kara were going to happen…but why? Kara is learning to embrace her powers and that should be the focus not if he feels the same way as she does.

The writers tend to fall back to the same old CW patterns while writing for this show and quite frankly this isn’t the CW and they need to focus on the slightly older demographics. This show needs to bring in new viewers and focusing on the CW fans to carry it just won’t work.

Make the protagonist darker and stronger. We know by the end of the show that Kara will once again defeat the not so big bad. They are almost cartoon like and the fact they are so easily defeated isn’t interesting. Kara needs to fall before she can rise and making her dark for one episode isn’t working. I’m not saying change who she is entirely but the stakes aren’t very high in this show and the end result always seems to be a let down.

CBS gives them free reign to be a different type of superhero and yet they fall back into the CW habits and in the long run its not that compelling.

15. Julie says:

Any word on how Monday’s new Scorpion did? Hope they didn’t hit another low – though the effects from Monday’s episode were pretty rough…

16. Tyler says:

“Gleeful” Crossover! Oh my god, I love it!

17. Mary says:

We liked Blindspot but we had to stop watching it. That idiotic “music” so loud and really annoying. Can’t tell what anyone is saying. Not even music…just a steady ding ding ding of drums…had to shut it off! It adds absolutely nothing to the show. It takes away from it!

18. queerbec says:

The chemistry between Benoist and Gustin was cute, sweet and powerful and the whole thing went thud when they put Olsen and Kara together. They have no chemistry at all. It is disappointing. Liked the chemistry between Jordan and Gustin as well. The antagonism between Supergirl’s two admirers is aggravating and seems to have no end. It takes away from the humor of the show. Having two teams doesn’t help, and since the members of each are antagonistic toward each other, it makes for uncomfortable viewing. Supergirl should be becoming a bit more serious and self-confident and on the road to becoming the leader of both teams, right now she gets used and abused by both teams, particularly her sister’s. Why not have her impacted by some new form of kryptonite that say takes her powers away under a full moon (I don’t know, give me a break, I’m just brainstorming) or give us aliens that are invisible to a Krypton native’s senses but can be seen by other beings, etc. There are things that not-lazy writers can come up with that could keep Supergirl in danger and increase the risk. Have her stay defeated over several weeks until a solution can be discovered, etc.

• Dmac says:

I agree completely, the protagonist are just a joke and there is no real urgency in the viewers part. We know she will save the day.

James and Kara are by far the worst thing about this show. There is no chemistry no matter how hard the writers try and why are they trying to make them happen again?

19. drhenning says:

only a couple of more episodes left this season ( taking next week off to not compete vs National Championship B-Ball which will be using the normal CBS buys to call ala NFL Network football broadcasts.) so they’ll just wrap these stories. Not sure how much of a cliffhanger they’ll have.

The problem that CBS has is it has very few duds. Even CSI Cyber getting screwed around with a Sunday spot often delayed by sports got total ratings > than other networks.

SG is one of its few shows that skews a little younger and has lots of pop culture jokes in it that might be over the head of many old TV viewers. Shows like Blue Bloods are steady with its fans/ I would bet many NYers hoped that those were the ones really in charge of the city and PD.. The CW jokes and the like cater to the Entertainment crowd that knows…

20. Carrie says:

21. Simon Jester says:

Happy to see Crazy Ex-Girlfriend rebound (not that it matters, in light of the renewal announcement).

22. retsim says:

It was a great good fun episode .Hope they do a few more like it .And renew the series.

23. A. D. says:

Awesome! More crossovers for both networks! Make it so!

24. Jason says:

Hopefully those new eyes for Supergirl will realize what a great show it is and stick around for the rest of the season. It’s funny how Gotham was a garunteed renewal for Fox while Supergirl remains a question on CBS when Gotham only has around half the total viewers. On any other network, Supergirl would be called a hit.

25. John NYC says:

IMHO, well deserved. It was a fun episode.

26. HAP says:

I used to enjoy Scorpion, but now it appears to have devolved into weekly noisy chaos.

27. fiberlicious says:

They were adorable together!

28. grys03 says:

Enjoying Supergirl but it is a little light – with the exception of Hank/Jon. The Flash crossover made think of the hints of the Legion (via the ring in the Fortress) & am hoping we will see that happen. Would be a nice change of ‘aliens are bad’ ‘Cat is cranky’ & ‘this never happens to my cousin’ stuff. I agree that the show has a tough timeslot vs reality (rubbish).
    & Lucifer is one I look forward to every week, Tom Ellis is wonderful, the supporting cast is good but not great – except for Lesley-Ann Brandt/Mazie – wish she had more to do. The police drama/romance aspect is starting get a bit old – hoping for a bit more action. Maybe some of Lucifer’s powers surfacing in moments of stress.
    & how lucky is Rachel Harris/Linda Martin – she gets hit on by Lucifer & Mazie – must be doing something right

29. FashionMaven says:

I have never watched an episode of Supergirl before last night and the best part about the show was … Barry Allen. And Cat Graham. I found the rest of the cast to be uninteresting overall and the dialogue/plotting horrible. And the reason I found Barry Allen cool to watch was because he was finally written as competent and smart, unlike on his own show, where his Team Flash tends to do the thinking for him. I hope they continue writing him like he was shown Monday on his own show. Bring back smart, light and easy going Barry Allen. Bring back comic canon Barry Allen… not the brooding Arrow-lite guy he’s become this season.

I don’t think I’ll be back for more Supergirl – I just found it bland and boring. I wanted to like it. I just didn’t.

One thing it does seem to have going for it though is giving more female characters a point of view. The Flash and Arrow could learn from that, even though all of these shows pale in comparison to JJ and DD on Netflix.

30. Phun says:

Glad to see all the promos CBS was doing for this crossover paid off for Supergirl! Just anxiously awaiting the news of a Season 2.

31. Frank Graham says:

Good episode w/ cliff hanger for future

32. Mai says:

Supergirl and Flash were a great team. Good dynamic. They have better “friend” rapport than she has with pretty much anyone on Supergirl right now. Too bad he couldn’t be more recurring guest star, because their chemistry is so good, I’d be okay with them being a couple.

The only downside to this episode, is the constant propping of the James & Kara “shipping”. I hate this Jimmy Olsen. I would’ve preferred the geeky version of Jimmy Olsen from pretty much every other Superman/Supergirl show/movie than this version. His “trying too hard to be suave” thing, and how Supergirl has to try to good enough for him, reminds me of the bad parts of Smallville’s Clark & Lana relationship. If the show must keep his character, than at least stop the forced “shipping” between James & Kara, and just make them friends, like how she is with Winn. Kara should be kept free to date various guest or recurring star guys.