the voice katie basden

The Voice Recap: Miley High Club

Those ugly words of vitriol you spat over the weekend about Miley Cyrus joining The Voice as a full-time, red-chair-occupying coach for Season 11?

We regret to inform you that you’re going to have to sprinkle ’em with cinnamon and sugar, then nom-nom-nom ’em. Because despite her array of questionably tailored, homemade clown costumes, the “Wrecking Ball” singer — who was serving as Special Advisor to all four teams during the Season 10 Knockout Rounds — offered more specific, actionable, insightful advice over the course of the episode than Adam, Pharrell, Blake and Xtina combined.

Hey, look, I’m not saying we all need to drop what we’re doing for a group singalong of “Party in the USA” — I’m noddin’ my head like ‘Yeah!’ Movin’ my hips like ‘Yeah!’ — oh God, so sorry…

Will you please give me one more paragraph to get this recap back on track? I swear, I’m not gonna get the chorus to “The Climb” stuck in your head.

You just focus on the hows and whys — OMG, the whyyyyys — of Adam Levine’s pink hair, while I count down this week’s Knockout Rounds results in order from least- to most-promising winner.

6. Team Blake: Paxton Ingram – Adele’s “Hometown Glory” defeats Angie Keilhauer — Sam Hunt’s “Take Your Time” | Paxton hit some really sweet spots when he rounded his tone and went for the big notes on the chorus — and the judges were right that he’s got a strong lower register. Still, I’m not sure he’s distinctive or exciting enough to go far in a season this deep. Lucky for him, Angie was badly off key on a jam with a low degree of difficulty – and just like that, he’s in the live shows.

5. Team Adam: Owen Danoff – Billy Joel’s “She’s Always a Woman” defeats Ryan Quinn – Train’s “Drops of Jupiter” (Ryan stolen by Xtina) | Owen’s blind audition was intimate and deeply heartfelt, but his less-is-more approach came across a little sleepy here in the Knockouts — making me wonder if he’s truly the finale threat I’d pegged him to be after the Blinds. In fact, I’m not sure he was any more emotionally invested in “She’s Always a Woman” than Ryan was in his very pretty but surface-level take on “Drops of Jupiter.” The latter dude may have lucked out by losing — then landing on Team Xtina, who’ll know how to better channel his bombast into more productive avenues.

4. Team Pharrell: Emily Keener – Joni Mitchell’s “Big Yellow Taxi” defeats Shalyah Fearing – Martina McBride’s “A Broken Wing” (Shalyah stolen by Adam) | Emily’s dulcet tones are just lovely — and this was the most in-tune performance she’s given to date — but there were hints of goofy immaturity in her delivery (especially her “look what I did there!” high-to-low transition in the final line) that felt peculiar on a song that requires a certain degree of adult-level gravitas. Shalyah may have come thisclose to screaming her entire Martina McBride anthem — a song that is due for retirement from reality singing competitions — but I have to give her credit for infusing it with a genuine angst and fervor.

3. Team Pharrell: Hannah Houston – The Animals’ “House of the Rising Sun” defeats Malik Heard’s — Stevie Wonder’s “Isn’t She Lovely” | If Hannah can learn to dial back on the Mariah Carey Fluttery Hand Gestures (TM pending), she could actually be a finale threat. She’s got so many interesting textures in her tone — and an innate ability to veer from ragged to silky without it feeling in any way jarring. Poor Malik didn’t really make any errors on “Isn’t She Lovely,” but his karaoke arrangement didn’t allow for anything fresh or current, either.

2. Team Blake: Katie Basden – Fleetwood Mac’s “Gypsy” defeats Lacy Mandigo — The Cranberries’ “Zombie” (Lacy stolen by Pharrell) | Katie took total ownership of “Gypsy” without destroying its essence by made just the right amount of haunting tweaks to Stevie Nicks’ gorgeous melody. The depth of restraint in her delivery and the Yearwood boom of her last run moved her wayyyy up my personal pecking order for the season. Here’s hoping she can sustain the momentum. I’m not sure why Lacy got the Steal given that she was under the note for half the performance, but perhaps Adam will be able to accelerate her artistic development in ways Xtina and Blake couldn’t?

1. Team Xtina: Alisan Porter – Joni Mitchell’s “River” defeats Daniel Passino — The Temptations’ “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg” | Alisan’s delicate, stripped-down and pitch-perfect “River” was a major Voice moment that practically had me dabbing my eyes with a Puffs. I’m not sure she needed to swing quite so hard on her glory note — but then again, when you’re doing head-to-head vocal combat, I suppose it’s hard to resist a death blow. Daniel, meanwhile, sealed his fate with a song choice and arrangement that felt as dated as a two-foot-long car phone. You could see the defeat in his eyes as he watched Alisan from the back of the boxing ring, but I suspect he was grappling with that abject sorrow the minute Xtina paired him against the guaranteed Top 10 Curly Sue.

What did you think of The Voice‘s first set of Season 10 Knockouts? Any potential winners in the mix? Take our poll, then sound off in the comments!

1. Andres says:

If miley is as good of a coach in s11 than she is as an advisor, then season 11 can be worth watching.
    I gotta say I was not a fan of Emily and her big yellow taxi. Especially the ending.

I really liked alisan shalyah and Katie.

• davmon says:

Clearly, the Prods heard the naysayers. They edited out the coaches to show every contribution by Miley. Yeah, she had good stuff to say; as did Rihanna last season. Obviously, Rhi has better things to do than be perved on by Blake. So we get MC…who was better than I expected. But from what we saw, the 4 coaches took a hammock for this round.

• Jacob says:

They didn’t make any emergency edits since Friday when the new coaches were announced. It would be too late by then. They obviously knew Miley had done a great job as advisor, and decided to make the announcement before this episode aired so that more people would watch it.

• I respectfully disagree Damon. Even though my partner threatened to turn off the TV at the sight of Miley, she was great, giving actual advice that would help a singer in a battle, like how she told the singer to sing the harmony and Showed her how! Plus, her voice is exquisite. Aloha

• Joe says:

What I want to know is who does Lacy Mandigo know because she can’t sing whatsoever and yet, keeps getting saved. Totally rigged.

• Greta says:

To each his own, I totally dug Lacy’s take on “Zombie”!

• Jacob says:

“Something happened that I disagreed with, the show is rigged lol”

• majorolleandspice says:

I completely agree with Joe, not exactly sure why Lacey has been stolen twice by the judges other than potential producer influence of finding a pretty girl with a mediocre voice to become the next pop/rock star. Dolores O’Riordan, the lead singer of the Cranberries beautifully emotes a mix of softness, hurt and anger throughout Zombie, which is a song protesting an IRA bombing in the bands hometown of Ireland. Lacey managed to strip the song of any meaning, sounded/performed like a drunk cat trying to be sexy and turned a once powerful song into something more suited in a twilight/hunger games type of movie’s soundtrack.

• I knew there was something I didn’t like compared to the original. Thanks for pointing it out. However any rocker on this show would be a change for the better. I kind of like her somehow

• Trent says:

I definitely agree about Emily. Some weird af tonal placement towards the end. I kinda liked her in the beginning though. Shalyah flat out won

• AJ says:

I disagree. I think this was one of my 3 favorites. Incredible! But i agree that i didn’t like the way the song ended

2. Florence+TheMachineRulez!!! #TeamMariah says:

ALISAN, Shaylay, and Hannah won the night for me.!!! Thank u ALISAN for showing us that a powerful singer can be very restrained as well. U are a masterclass. As for shaylah and Hannah, they went CRAZY tonight!!! These 3 should have no problems going into lives

• Jasper says:

That was my top 3 as well, with an honorable mention going out to Katie.

• Florence+TheMachineRulez!!! #TeamMariah says:

Agreed.

• danin says:

Right on,Jasper..right the EFF on..but I’m more deeply in love w/Hannah.

• Jasper says:

While we’re hopefully on the right page danin, what did you think of Miley the Mentor?

• danin says:

From what we saw of the edited pieces, I think she’s feeling her way into her role. She is nothing less than genuine.I loved when she threw Hannah the high compliment of being Hannah’s back up singer. So yes, she’s enthusiastic, she does have a wide range of musical taste, she’s got a strong voice.I think it’s a balancing act not to overpower the contestants w/how to approach a song.And Miley has a strong personality,but the contestants seemed to be happy w/her.

• Jasper says:

I enjoyed her as well. I think that she was a breath of fresh air for the episode. Loved the scene of her dancing with Xtina and complimenting Hannah. But I also felt like she knew exactly what to do to bring the performances to the next level so to speak. I’m hopeful that this is the Miley that shows up next season. Let’s get some honesty in those chairs!

• Jenks says:

ITA. I thought Miley gave specific, on-point notes that the singers could actually work with, rather than vague “you gave me chills” comments. It would be great if she is allowed to bring that to her judge’s chair.

• Jasper, I am with you. I don’t like her antics sometimes, or her music, but as a judge she was the best.Loved how she patterned how the song might be sung in a different way. Aloha

• And Jenks right on. no chills or more than chills. She’s good! I’m surprised.

• The Beach says:

I would rank it Alisan, Hannah and Katie. While I thought Shalya was very good, I guess I’m jaded and have become really tired of hearing “Broken Wing”. It’s always used in these competitions to show just how belty and overly dramatic they can get. It tickles me how these 15 year olds, first Tristan on AI and now Shalya, love to take on Martina McBride songs as she has one of the strongest and most mature voices in country music.

3. Angie_Overrated says:

Some very questionable stealing activity going on tonight. And some very questionable non-stealing non-activity also going on tonight.
    Many of tonight’s decisions were head scratchers for me. Total puzzlers.

• Trent says:

My eyebrow was raised a few too many times during the episode…

• Pharell u dumbass says:

The only thing I didn’t understand was Pharell keeping Emily over Shalyah. Emily won’t make it past the top 10 if she even makes it past the playoffs. Shalyah could be top 5, and definitely should make at least top 12. I get wanting both to stay on the show, but the fact she went to Adam of all people makes me feel like the producers want it to be an Adam vs Xtina season. Pharells team sucks.

• danin says:

Nononon…Hannah is just ever y thing!

• dlraetz says:

By keeping Emily he kept them both in the competition . Pharrell doesn’t play to win. He’s into developing talent

• Timmah says:

I think Pharrell probably sees that Emily has more artistic potential than Shalyah who’s more of a run-of-the-mill belter.

• Trent says:

Then why didn’t he save Malik over Lacy? Malik has shown us that he is amazing, but has only uncovered a small fraction of his potential! I think Lacy’s peak was her battle with Alisan, and will probably get cut in the playoffs unless she does something REALLLYYYY spectacular

• AJ says:

I disagree.

I felt 15 yr old Shalyah won the night BUT Ifeel Emily will go further. Shalyah i think had the night of her life but I am not sure she can be consistent at 15.

• Lee says:

@Pharell u dumbass: I doubt it. Adam keeps getting rid of his best singers. I don’t know what’s going on with Adam this season. It just seems like he’s going for the “unique” singers. Maybe because Jordan won last season, he doesn’t think another singer with big pipes will win again this year. In any case–I doubt Adam will win. And I’ve seen how Xtina messes up her contestants with bad song choices so we’ll see how well she does. I actually think it’s between Pharell and Blake.

• Ron says:

I don’t know. I mean, of the 3 steals, Ryan NEEDED to be stolen (not necessarily for what he did tonight, but for his previous performances and what he can certainly do in the future),so I’m glad Christina used her steal on him, and Shalyah NEEDED to be stolen. But the problem there is that Pharrell should not have chosen that other person over her. I know why he did it, but it shouldn’t have happened. I’m only questioning Pharrell’s steal of Lacy, who’s good but not use-my-last-steal good. Basically, tonight was me just questioning Pharrell all around.

• Lee says:

I was questioning Adam too. He gives up a singer with good pipes (Ryan) and steals a singer with good pipes (Shaylah). Between the two, I think Ryan will go further so it made no sense why Adam gave up Ryan. Yeah–he chose a bad song. But since Adam will be his coach, he could rectify that.

• Don says:

I would take Shaylah over Ryan. While he might be the more experienced technically precise singer, I find her to be a lot more charismatic and emotive as a performer. I could see her going on a run the way Koryn did a couple of seasons ago.

• JM says:

Yes, I was very sad to see Malik and Daniel go. I would have chosen either one of them over Lacy.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yes on all three of those statements.

• The Beach says:

Both Malik and Daniel suffered from song choice. While both choices were fun and cheerful, albeit dated, numbers they did nothing to show off their vocal abilities and did come off very karaoke. Since Daniel is an opera major it would have been fun to see him shock everyone with a Groban/Bocelli song. Hey, he was never going to beat Alisan but if he had pulled it off he might have gotten a steal (he should have gotten Lacy’s anyway).

• davmon says:

OK, I am officially protesting the coaching malpractice, matching up their best: Owen vs Ryan? Hannah vs Malik? Emily vs Shalyah? Are you kidding me? All six are worthy of reaching the top 10 or 12….OK, OK, so, at least five of the six advanced. Ryan and Shalyah got stolen; poor Malik deserved to go further.

• Timmah says:

Yes, it puzzles me why they seemingly match up their best two or worst two against each other sometimes. If I were a coach, I’d seed my artists like a sports tournament to make sure the top half all had a chance to go through, while still leaving room to change my mind.

• analythinker says:

Who did you like, though?

• AS says:

The voters save 2 and each judge gets one final save for their team. Thta means 2 go home. I think some of these steals are done to make that final cut easier….it’s good for contestants to get an extra week as well.

4. dan says:

This season is so done. Alisan is going to take it all. It will be interesting to see if someone else can give her a challenge.

• Oriana says:

She bettee watch out for Shalyah, Owen, and Hannah…Shalyah reminds me a lot of Korin, Owen of Sawyer, and Hannah of Cassadee

• Florence+TheMachineRulez!!! #TeamMariah says:

She’ll be just fine. Those other people are beat too

• dan says:

Shalyah is great, but she’s young. I agree that Owen and Hannah are amazing. I especially like Owen. He’s someone who’s singing brings out the feelings, because he connects with the emotions of the song.

But, Alisan is going to take it all.

• joeymeana says:

I think alisan can really sing, but sometimes her singing in the higher pitch makes me wince. It would be OK if it was like two or three notes, not a whole verse in that voice. I may be the only one that feels this way though D:

5. Davey says:

My faves tonight were Katie, Shalyah and Owen.

Alisan is fine but I’m just not interested in buying an album by her.

• Deidra says:

I agree, I don’t think she’ll walk away with it as easily as people think. Christina Grimmie was also destined to win early on but ended up in third, and I think that Hannah and Katie are also both strong. The girls on this season are definitely killing it

6. Jamie says:

Damn this is gonna be an amazing top 12:
    I feel like its gonna end up-
    Xtina: Ryan, Alisan, Bryan
    Adam: Laith, Shalyah, Owen
    Pharrel: Hannah, Moushumi, Lacy
    Blake: Adam, Mary, Katie

and if it does end up that way, I have no idea who would end up leaving…it would actually be pretty interesting compared to other seasons where there’s a clear top-middle-bottom order
    —-
    Owen, Hannah, Shalyah, Bryan, Alisan, & Moushumi are my faves though…used to like Ryan more but he’s becoming uninteresting
    —-
    Christina & Adam have the strongest teams by far

• Ron says:

Oh dear, I can’t remember her name, but, as good as Bryan is, I don’t think he should be in the top 12 over the woman who was in the first iteration of Destiny’s Child. She, Ryan, and Alisan should actually be the 3 who represent Team Xtina. I tend to agree with those 3 for Team Adam, even though I don’t really think it will end up that way. Regarding Teams Blake and Pharrell, I just don’t care enough about their teams to worry who goes through–with the exception of Hannah.

• Jasper says:

Are you referring to Tamar Davis?

• James says:

Agreed, Tamar Davis deserves to be in the Top 12. I like Maya too, but I think it’s clear that her chances are very low.

• Ron says:

Yes! I can’t believe I forgot her name, but that’s exactly who I’m referring to. She needs to be in the top 12. Christina’s team is officially phenomenal. And if Alisan, Ryan, and Tamar are Christina’s 3 moving into the top 12, I honestly don’t see how Christina loses this season. Those 3 are vocal beasts, can sing just about anything, and can each easily win.

7. Trent says:

What did I tell y’all about Miley? She was really good! Really keen to see what she’s like next season. Sad to see Malik go, but that wasn’t his best performance :(
    Ryan, Hannah and Alisan were my favourites from the evening. Team Xtina is full of BEASTSSSSS. Such a strong team!

• JM says:

Yes, I don’t understand why people overreacted the way they did. Her taste in clothing (or lack thereof) has nothing to do with her coaching ability.

• kevstar says:

People forget that an artist’s persona doesn’t always match what the actual PERSON is like. Plus, she may have changed her says since getting back with together with Liam.

• Trent says:

I’m excited for her song selection most of all, I think. I don’t think she’ll be picking songs from the old soul train, any corny big diva ballads, overdone/outdated 80s rock or anything

• dan says:

I seem to remember that Miley was a great mentor on Idol. I can’t wait to see her as a coach on the Voice. I feel like she might pull a few country singers away from Blake.

8. danin says:

Hannah..no way she is 3rd..unt in..She is #1! And I would take Shaylah over Alison, but I LOVE Joni Mitchell so there’s that.But Hannah&Shaylah definitely connected more deeply w/their songs. Even more so than Katie. But yeah there is this tight circling eddy of gooood women,compelling women singers this season. Wonder if it will get too clogged up!?

• robin thicke's voice though >>> says:

Final 6:
      1. Alisan
      2. Hannah
      3. Owen
      4. Shalyah
      5. Ryan
      6. Katie

• Sam says:

I agree. Sorry don’t get the Alison love. She’s technically skilled but I actually find her sound salty and unpleasant. You don’t have to yell River, which is one of the most beautiful songs ever written and sung. I see I’m in the minority here, but it’s jmho. Loved Hannah best (she also bested on itunes) but stop with the hands! And Miley, you go girl! She was awesome.

9. DAMN DANIEL says:

ALERT ALERT: Daniel isn’t in the poll!

10. JM says:

Anyone know if the coaches will be able to bring someone back this season? I hope so, because Malik and Daniel need to come back!

11. Deidra says:

I see Alisan becoming a Christina Grimmie and peaking to early. Xtina seems to struggle wih coaching for the long run and I really think (but hope she doesn’t) she’ll end up screwing Alisan over with her song choice. Regardless, I thank God every day that I no longer have to see Jordan Smith on this show. He was the most annoying contestant ever to be on this show, or rather, the producers made him to be. #BlessUp

12. Jasper says:

Anybody else taken aback by the fact that we had THREE steals in one knockout episode?

• Nedsdag says:

There is a lot of great talent this season, so no I am not surprised. I am sorry to see Daniel go. I mean, Lacy? Zombie was good, but I don’t see her going very far.

• Jasper says:

But that means that one of the next two knockout episodes will end without a steal, breaking the Voice’s traditions.

13. davmon says:

I loved River by Alison and Big Yellow Taxi by Emily; both did Joni Mitchell proud! Nice to hear Joni get the respect and love she deserves. What a songwriter, singer, and composer!

• Kat says:

However, I am so annoyed with the praise for the ending of “Big Yellow Taxi” with NO credit given to Joni Mitchell! That ending was stolen from the original recording!

• Linda says:

I was going to say the same thing. I never liked that ending, but Joni Mitchell did it first. So you can’t blame Emily for doing it like that, unless you give Joni equal blame.

• Timmah says:

I totally agree, and I was not much of a Curly Sue fan before tonight. I was an Emily fan based on her audition, but I felt like she hadn’t really broken out until tonight. They both did Joni proud and in very different artistic ways.

• Jenna says:

I think my problem is that I don’t feel Alisan sings with any emotion. Yes she has a “good voice” but when you’re singing Joni Mitchell you have to make people feel something, a robotic automaton performance of River does nothing for me. And I just feel like the producers are trying to jam her down our throats like the winner like they did with Jordan Smith, when for me at least she’s probably the last one I would want to buy a cd of. Now someone like Owen…he may not have been belting but you FELT something and that’s what music is to me at least.

• Sam says:

Thank you, Jenna! Agree 100%. I also feel Alison’s being pushed down our throats. So obvious they want Xtina to win for once. Some subtlety, please.

• Linda says:

Wow! I actually DID feel what Alisan was singing last night. I don’t think I’ve heard the song before, but she really drew me into the song.

• Jenna says:

That’s interesting that you say that, though I haven’t really gotten any feeling out of any of Alisan’s performances thus far so maybe I just don’t see it with her. But listen to the Joni version of River…it is haunting and beautiful, and I think if you compare the two you’ll be able to see the difference in feeling which is what a Joni song requires. Joni didn’t become famous because she had the ability to do insane vocal acrobatics but rather she connected with music and I respond more to that then showboaty vocalists.

• Kbella says:

Wow, I have to disagree with you about “River.” I totally bought into that performance and I felt very connected to Allison’s rendition. I thought it was perfect. Maybe because I’m a bit older and can relate to what the song is about. It had me reaching for the tissues.

• Jenna says:

Everyone’s got different preferences I guess though I don’t think age is really the factor…I grew up on this music, and my mom was from that generation/went to Woodstock etc and she agreed that Alisan’s version was sort of like bland oatmeal or something to us. And I love Joni…I thought when Madi Davis did A Case Of You last season it was stunning and THAT almost moved me to tears. I think I just respond more to raw unique voices rather than “technical precise” voices if that makes sense

• Jenna (2) says:

I’ll respectfully disagree. I thought she emoted the heck out of that song. I agree, Owen did as well, but there is a lot of discretion in the ear of the listener. Then again, I already have bought Alisan’s records, years ago – a solo effort and her gorgeous CD with The Canyons.

That being said, it’s unfortunate anytime the producers harp too much on a favorite.

14. dlraetz says:

Team Miley. Next season is going to be fun–and for a change country singers have someplace to go besides Blake

• Russ says:

Not sure I follow why they would go to Miley than Adam or any other coach. The only song she has done that could be considered country was the Climb. She has wanted to be pop since her Disney days. She did an early Interview and said she did not want to do country. Next season Blake will still be the only country artist on the show and will probably still get the majority of country artists. I am not saying a country artist will not go to her, but Blake will still have the edge.

• dlraetz says:

Her Hannah days were clearly country days no matter what she said. I could see a young country artist who grew up in Hannah going with Miley

• Timmah says:

I don’t really think of Miley as country. Her Dead Petz album is more Lady Gaga-like than anything. She will be an interesting addition though.

15. Don’t care about her great advice. Can’t get past that when her outfits are so garish and offensive to the eye.

• Kaba says:

Such silly way to think.
      If the main point is the cultivate talent and yield adequate-superior results then that should be the furthest thing from important. It shouldn’t be of a single ounce of importance what she wears so long as she’s a great adviser. Her outfits are hardly so awful that they warrant being distracted from the performances and what she brings to the table to ensure they’re quality performances or better quality than they would have been initially.

• Her ostentatiousness bugs me and distracts me from the good things she says and does.

• Kaba says:

Her O-U-T-F-I-T-S upset you.
          That is what you said. Congrats, you’re a wuss considering her clothing was not in alignment with her actual actions on the show tonight. She was nothing aside from gracious, helpful, and considerate for these contestants.
          If you can’t look past clothing to identify the plethora of great traits she exhibited tonight then pauvre-toi

• I’m not saying it’s right that I feel this way about her outfits and her tongue hanging out. It’s something I need to get past.

• Kbella says:

It’s like those people who can’t get past LaPorsha’s hair to appreciate her talent!

• Polarvortex says:

I understand what Josiah is saying though! It is hard to focus on their talent when they look like they got dressed in the the dark!And as much as I love LaPorsha I do find her wig distracting and unneccesary!

16. Venee says:

I was thrilled to see Alisan strip it down. I was getting tired of the rumblings from some that all she can do is scream. (which I side eye because nothing gets more approval on this show than belting, just look at the favorite performances tonigh.t Besides hers they were Hollerating fests) I personally like to look at these contestants performances out on the net. I think I’ve seen all of Alisans and her vocal bench is hella deep. I’m not concerned about her “peaking early). Which brings me to another contestant, She is everything the voice is NOT supposed to be, looks over Voice. I’m referring to Lacy Mandingo. She is beautiful, but vocally, I don’t care what the judges are chattering about, it is not there. There is a reason when no one could see her and her voice was the only thing they could go on, that everyone took a pass except for Christina, who only turned toward the end of her audition, because she growled (the heck?) I’ve seen her other performances on the net and she has no bench. Then we have people that should still be there (Kristin Marie, Mike Schaivo, to name a few). At the end of the day “The Voice” has yet to produce a bonafide recording artist. I say to the contestants enjoy the ride..

• Jenna says:

But out of curiosity, even though Alisan may have showed she was capable of not shouting an entire song, did you feel that she sang with emotion? I just don’t really know how you make Joni Mtchell vacant and hollow but for me she somehow managed to do that, whereas Emily sang a much “lighter” Joni song that may have had a few imperfections but at least she made me feel something.

• Carly says:

Jenna you keep saying everything I was thinking. Alison shows range but NO depth. If you are going to tackle Joni Mitchell you need real emotion more than a technically “good “voice.

• Venee says:

Actually yes! I feel she definitely connected and was probably the only one there (given her background and age) that knew the meaning and history behind the song to deliver it genuinely. I’m not an Emily fan, not because she isn’t talented, she is just not my cup of tea. I worked at a womens clothing store during my College days, and they used to play the “Parking Lot” song daily. (That may have affected my stoic reaction to her particular performance).

• Jenna says:

Interesting, I guess we just have different perspectives on it. To me the one that came across most genuine by far was Owen I would buy that version in a heartbeat, but I’m also partial because I’m a New Yorker and billy Joel is essentially our musical Jesus lol. And I can definitely relate to being scarred by a song (I actually don’t particularly like Big Yellow Taxi but I enjoyed Emily’s version). I preferred Alisan last night to her performance on Blue Bayou which I hated and California Dreamin which I also hated but which I can’t blame her completely for because it was a battle on Team Christina and all she wants is for her team to scream as loud as possible.

• Terri Bora says:

Points well taken. I understand that preferences are preferences. Alisan is not everyones cup of tea either. I’m quite taken by her, but I don’t like the pimp job their doing on her either. What do you think of Lacy? I feel like Hannah is everything Lacy is not. Hannah lives an hour from my hometown, so yes I’m partial, but vocally I feel She’s pulling off everything that Lacy is trying to do but falling short. I really don’t want to rip on her, but I honestly feel if she didn’t look the way she does, shed be gone. Getting back to my original post of perusing youtube to see these contestants in their element, Hannah has two great songs on there that are killer!

17. davmon says:

Adam is failing his singers this season. Mike Schiavo. Matt Tedder. Now Ryan Quinn…who was NOT as good as Owen tonight. He was also not NEARLY as good as twice before when he seemed Finalist material….Glad he was saved to work with Xtina, because he has a beautifully textured voice that should be in the running, if guided properly….Only prob, Xtina is packed with Alisan, Bryan, and Tamar as top candidates—plus Joe and Maya are not too shabby either. He should have been at top of Team Adam, but was about 80% tonight. So now, he will either perish in back of the pack on Xtina’s team or will bump someone like Bryan or Tamar….sigh!

18. Meme says:

Love Alisan Porter!

19. TexasBrigade says:

I know she’s hot and all But how is Lacy STILL around??

20. davmon says:

Lacy was saved by both Pharrell & Adam (who chose Pharrell), while Malik went home! Show business?….In that Knockout, Katie was great and deserved to win. Lacy was better last week versus Alisan when coached by Xtina, than this go with Blake and Miley. Her song Zombie was a poor choice and showed too little of her dynamics…. I see her like Deanna two seasons ago and Emily Ann last season: both made the Top 10 mostly on good looks and showing legs; Emily actually improved and came in 2nd, but Deanna’s nerves stopped her progress. IMO, someone who advances on looks, must work hard to prove worthy in the end. But the Lives are coming fast; and rockers, female or male, do not seem to stay long. Not sure this was a good steal for Pharrell.

• joeymeana says:

I actually blame Adam for Deanna’s downward spiral. She was one of my favorites in blinds but he never stopped mentioning how nervous she is after her performances. He didn’t do her any favors with voters with those kind of critiques and some of those song choices.

21. paula says:

I’m surprised that Lacy was at the bottom of the list. Zombie is the second song I’ve bought this season (first was Ryan’s audition).

• Polarvortex says:

I agree! Zombie is not an easy song to sing and I thought she sang it well! And I ‘m glad Ryan is out of Adams clutches and he won’t have to sing Over the Rainbow or a stupid U2 song!

• Timmah says:

I was relieved for Ryan too. The only time Adam wins is when he has someone who is so super-talented that they can overcome his awful song choices.

• paula says:

I agree about Ryan. He had such a brilliant audition, but the last two performances were kind of mediocre. I think Xtina will be very beneficial for him. Why does Adam make such bad song choices?

22. kevstar says:

What was Pharrell thinking by letting Shalya go? I said on the Idol blog that if you are a black girl and you choose to do country, like the black girl did on Idol, you better sound at least as good as the original artist, well… Shalya did that, and with the same song Tristan did! Good job!

• Jules says:

He was thinking he wanted them both to stay and Adam said he wanted to take Shalya. Same reason he took Abby over Brian. He knew Brian would be stolen.

23. Joe says:

• MamaLis says:

Honestly, I think her beauty is helping her. She’s beautiful and also very likable. That provides more of a “whole package” that I think is appealing.

24. NotVirgin Mary says:

Alisan is being overhyped. The way she sang it made me question the original melody of the song. She was very rigid in her delivery, partly due to her now apparently weird phrasing. Shalyah, Hannah, and Katie were better than her tonight, in my humble opinion.

25. analythinker says:

There’s something about Hannah that is SO dang likeable and relatable! I like her better than I like Alisan, really. And I totally totally support Adam’s decision to pick Owen, he’s something to my longing ears.

• MamaLis says:

I agree. It kind of bugged me that when Alisan won, she didn’t so much as glance at Daniel, let alone give him the hug that EVERY contestant does to their team mate. He looked at her, and she marched off with her win. Of course then he started crying. :-(

26. Alex says:

As much as I liked this ranking, Michael does seem to come from the school of giving gold stars when it comes to Alisan.

27. Jobless says:

I was bummed that Angie choked because her audition was one of my favorite country auditions in a long time. Why would you pick “Take Your Time” of all country songs to do in a Knockout?

28. Mike says:

First off, did you see her package before Emily sang? That high to low thing was her coaches/advisor’s idea. She went along with it but when someone like Pharrell says something I’m thinking you do it.

Secondly, how can you pick on Broken Wing as overdone when someone sang House of the Rising Sun. As well sung as it was, if I hear that song one more time I’m going to throw something at my tv.

29. Zborniac says:

While Hannah did a fine job singing “House of the Rising Sun”, all I could think of during her performance was how Kimberly Nichole SANG that song previously. Still gives me chills thinking about it.

30. Hugh Grant says:

I am a convert. I did not care for Miley before last night, but thought that she had better coaching skills than any other coach that was there before her. I was impressed.
    I am looking forward to seeing her in the red chair.
    Go Girl!!

31. Emily’s ending of Big Yellow Taxi and her reaction to it aren’t new or unique to her. That is exactly how Joni Mitchell ends the song on the original recording (followed by laughter). I didn’t think it was odd or out of keeping with the song because it is part of the original version of the song.

• Ani says:

Exactly. In his updated comments, Michael says the song requires “adult gravitas” that Emily didn’t give it. Well, neither did Joni Mitchell, back in the day. Listen to it again, Michael!

32. Michael – no Haley references on House of the Rising Sun? You’re slipping my friend… ;)

• Timmah says:

Ha, I’m surprised he too that he didn’t bring that up. TBH I much preferred Haley’s more sultry take on the song as opposed to Hannah’s which was too much of a screamfest for my liking.

• joeymeana says:

Agreed. Remember Siobhan Magnus? I can’t hear this song without thinking of both of these ladies. Haven’t heard it done better than by Haley though!

33. Becca says:

I agree with Michael on Hannah…think she has a shot but the hand fluttering is annoying. Just like Trent’s facial ticks were too much on AI.

34. Sally says:

Slezak, fyi re: this: but there were hints of goofy immaturity in her delivery (especially her “look what I did there!” high-to-low transition in the final line) that felt peculiar on a song that requires a certain degree of adult-level gravitas.

She was imitating the original Joni Mitchell song. That’s the way it ended on the original album (and yes I am that old and that’s why I know this).

• Jenna says:

Thank you! That comment annoyed the crap out of me! (And it doesn’t make you old, I am technically considered a youngish person and I also knew that, it just means we know and appreciate good music :))

35. Jacob says:

Just a factual correction for you, Michael: Lacy is now on Team Pharrell, not Adam.

36. sourpatchadult says:

It was written all over Daniels face before he even sang he knew wasn’t going to beat Alisan. I kinda felt bad for the guy.

37. Cyndi says:

I will not watch voice w Cyrus

38. Terry says:

Miley comes on the voice walking on the American Flag.(her clothes) Who next? Justen Beeber naked. Sorry can”t watch any more .She is a disgrace.

39. Meri says:

Katie won it for me in this showing. IMO, she connected with her song best and her voice is gorgeous. I also enjoyed Hannah and Emily.

40. Court says:

I can’t tell if I like Miley or not… I so appreciate how she seems to be more invested in helping the artists more than the coaches, but is she over-mentoring? She certainly helps, but then when I watch, I realize the beautiful notes they hit are from Miley’s ideas and not their own..

Maybe I prefer over coaching more than under coaching? I’m torn..

41. Alex says:

Everyone’s criticising Emily for doing the ending the exact way Joni did it, only without her laughing – thus making it somewhat more serious than Joni meant it.
    Alison’s overrated. Good singer, but her desire to reach the big notes surpasses her need to emote.

42. Isabella Saxon says:

I am bored just reading the list of songs. Oh my God. I actually feel sorry for Miley. Could the Voice live more in the past?