Exclusive

Shadowhunters Video: Can Magnus Convince Alec to Call Off His Wedding?

You’re about to find out exactly why Tuesday’s episode of Shadowhunters (Freeform, 9/8c) is titled “Malec.”

TVLine has a steamy exclusive clip from the penultimate hour of Season 1, which finds Magnus (Harry Shum, Jr.) making one final attempt to stop Alec (Matthew Daddario) and Lydia’s unholy union.

“Emotions are never black and white, they’re more like symptoms,” the lovesick warlock explains. “You lose your breath every time they enter a room, your heart beats faster when they walk by, your skin tingles when they stand close enough to feel your breath.”

Magnus puts in a solid effort, but the question is: Will his desperate plea end with a kiss… or a kiss-off?

We also spoke with Daddario about this momentous occasion, an interview we’ll post Tuesday morning. For now, hit PLAY on the video above and drop a comment below: Do you think Magnus will succeed?

1. John Davis says:

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!

MALEC’S HAPPENING! MALEC’S HAPPENING! MALEC’S HAPPENING! MALEC’S HAPPENING! MALEC’S HAPPENING!

HOLY SH*T!!!

2. Eva says:

After the shaky first episodes, Shadowhunters became sort of a guilty pleasure for me for a few weeks, but the wedding storyline really turned me off the show. Especially when everyone and their grandmother know that Malec is the endgame. Plus, Matthew Daddario is a great Alec, but I’m still not buying Harry Shum Jr’s Magnus.

• Temperance says:

That’s really strange, because Harry is the most believable and the best actor of the young person cast.

• Eva says:

Maybe, but Magnus is written as needy and pathetic, and his delivery doesn’t help this impression. Maybe it’s the lines that don’t gel, but he doesn’t read as powerful and charismatic to me, and that’s what I wanted from this character. I did like Harry Shum Jr. in other roles I saw him in, he’s definitely a better actor than most of the young cast, I just can’t get myself to like his Magnus.

• LC says:

“Needy and pathetic” because he continually tries to convince Alec not to go through with the wedding, even though he has said he will get married?

I think Magnus is trying to change Alec’s mind partially for himself (yes, he wants to be with him), but mostly for Alec. He’s lived a long time; experienced both heartbreak and true love. Shadowhunters don’t have a long life expectancy. He doesn’t want Alec to close himself off to the possibility of love for the rest of his life.

• Sofia says:

Agreed. Harry is the best. He makes a fantastic Magnus.

3. Magnus is always putting in 110 percent with this kid and I’m really ready for him to get more than stony looks and rejection. Harry Shum Jr. is killing it though, he’s really been carrying these Malec scenes.

• Vanessa says:

Well, the stony looks are because Alec is an incredibly closed-off guy. He’s deep in the closet, he’s scared of what he feels and what it means, and right now he’s doing things out of some misguided sense of duty. That’s just how the character is, and Matt’s portrayal of him is spot-on. His acting is subtle, but there is so much depth to it. Of course, you have to be willing to look beneath the surface to see it. Both he and Harry are the standout actors on this show right now, and they are the reason why the Malec storyline feels so real and believable.

• Disagree about Daddario. He’s really hit or miss for me.

• Lane Fischer says:

I totally agree with Vanessa. Matt’s acting is very different from most. Other than using words and tone of voice, he really captures the feeling very subtly. The use of is Eyes and face shows his reaction internally rather than externally. Which, fits the character of Alec very well, bc Alec IS more closed off and disconnected on the outside, but shows depth on the inside. I feel Matt is spot on in his performance!

4. Tai says:

This show is going to be the death of me. Specifically this episode. These two are going to give me a heart attack. Either they’re going to get together and my heart will explode from happiness or its all a cruel trick and I end up crying for an hour or so. Either way, these two….

Ugh this show just took over my Tuesday’s. And I fully blame Magnus and Alec. Both of the actors do such an amazing job bringing them to life and I’m hooked. I just need it to be Tuesday already.

5. A says:

This show is so bad that it’s funny. The only good thing about this show is Harry Shum Jr as Magnus. Everything else just feels like a parody of the movie & book.

• M says:

Lol, I’ll give you that the first couple episodes sucked, but at this moment in time, the most recent episodes (ever since episode 5) have been so good. It’s way better than the movie at this point.I’m not talking in terms of the books, just in terms of story-lines and delivery.

6. Grace says:

Ahhhh, so excited about this episode! I love Malec so much… Magnus pursuing Alec has been one of my favorite storylines this season. I really want these two to find their way to each other!

7. Astrid says:

Mercy! Are they trying to kill the fandom with these clips. It needs to be Tuesday already! I can’t wait to watch the episode. Seeing Magnus give it his all to try to change Alec’s mind, and Alec mumbling his way through confusion is just building the anticipation even more. I don’t think the wedding will take place, but I don’t think we will get the happily-ever-after that Malec fans are hoping for.

• God, I know how you feel. But remember they got renewed for season 2. Which does ease my anxiety a bit, because I know there is going to be further exploration with these two characters. We may not get what we want, but it makes me even more excited for season 2. That is so far away, but I’ll find something to occupy myself in the meantime. I’m dying with this episode and it hasn’t even happened yet.

8. Lira says:

I am loving this! I can’r wait for this episode!!! This show has gotten so good!

9. lucy says:

At the end in the books are Magnus and alec still together.?CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME

• Candace says:

Spoilers for Lady Midnight!!

In LM, we find out that Magnus and Alec are in fact still together. They aren’t married yet, even though they could be, but have adopted 2 children.

• Diana Alexa says:

2 children? I only know of Max, where it was mentioned the 2nd? (I’ve read LM and I didn’t see such info..)
        Anyway, I so hope this episode will have them together!! or at least 1 kiss… They make a great Malec <3 <3

• Candace says:

In the short story at the very end. Alec talked to someone (can’t remember who) at Simon and Izzy’s engagement party about how he was worried the Clave would try to take their second child away since the kid was a Shadowhunter and Magnus is a Downworlder.

10. wgsecretary says:

I think that the delivery of performances has improved. But, they are deviating too much from the books in terms of major plot lines for my liking. I know there will be some changes from the books, but there are too many that are not minor. Alec would NEVER have done anything to diminish his parabatai bond with Jace and I’m not sure there was even anything in the books indicating it could be diminished. Lydia never existed in the books. Also, and this could be argued that it wasn’t made clear in the books, but Jace never actually knew Michael Wayland. I won’t explain further in case some of you are only watching the show and haven’t read the books. But, he should not have even recognized Michael Wayland when Valentine had glamoured himself to look like Michael Wayland. And what was with that whole alternate reality body swapping stuff??? The minor changes, like Luke being a cop instead of a bookstore owner, I could overlook. But, these others, I can’t. I think I’m done watching. I may finish out the first season since I’ve stuck it out this long. But, that’s probably going to be it.

• wgsecretary says:

I think that the delivery of performances has improved. But, they are deviating too much from the books in terms of major plot lines for my liking. I know there will be some changes from the books, but there are too many that are not minor. Alec would NEVER have done anything to diminish his parabatai bond with Jace and I’m not sure there was even anything in the books indicating it could be diminished. Lydia never existed in the books. And what was with that whole alternate reality body swapping stuff??? The minor changes, like Luke being a cop instead of a bookstore owner, I could overlook. But, these others, I can’t. I think I’m done watching. I may finish out the first season since I’ve stuck it out this long. But, that’s probably going to be it.

• Vanessa says:

They’ve definitely changed a lot of things, but so far most changes have been positive IMO. Giving more focus to Alec, Isabelle and Magnus and really fleshing them out, putting focus on Malec, the friendship between Isabelle and Clary – there’s been a lot that is actually better on the show than in the books. And I can’t say this enough about any book-to-screen adaptation – try to see the books and movies/tv shows as two separate things. It’s better that way!

• wgsecretary says:

I need to work on that last thing. I am a book lover and tend to not like it when things are majorly changed. I didn’t like how they made Izzy seem trampy in the initial episodes. She definitely came across as confident and sexy in the books. But, she was downright trampy in the beginning. I’m glad they toned it down some. I don’t like when they change the mythology to be different from the source material though. I haven’t read The Mortal Instruments in a while, but I don’t recall there being something that can damage a parabatai bond like what happened in the show. I also think it was out of character for Alec to hold a sword to Jace’s throat like that. Maybe I’m having a hard time accepting the show because I don’t see some things as being added character development but more going against the established character. And, unless I’m remembering incorrectly, there’s not a way to damage a parabatai bond like what was on the show. The bond is broken by death or special circumstances, such as when ***spoiler alert*** Jem became a Silent Brother in The Infernal Devices. Changing the mythology is a big no-no for me. It makes the bond seem far less strong than it is supposed to. I know there will be changes. And there have been many times I have been ok with film adaptations. I’m just not sure this is going to be one of them.

11. Vanessa says:

The show was pretty bad in the first few episodes but it’s gotten really good since then! I love the slow build-up with Alec and Magnus so much (definitely my fave characters on the show along with Isabelle), and Matthew Daddario does such a great job with all of Alec’s inner conflicts. Looking forward to the episode and to (hopefully) finally seeing Alec admit that he has feelings for Magnus too!

12. Claudia says:

I only watch this show because Harry is doing an amazing job as Magnus.

13. Sara says:

I am really enjoying this adaptation. And while I was a little annoyed by this whole wedding thing at first, if it brings me scenes like this and fleshes out Malec more, count me as a fan of this change. I like that the show is giving more focus to the secondary characters than the books did at first.

14. Beth says:

I am so loving this show! And these two guys are about to give me a heart attack! Harry Shum Jr and Matthew Daddario are doing EXCELLENT jobs at bringing these characters to life. I cannot WAIT UNTIL Tuesday!!!

15. ninamags says:

Wow, what a scene. I started watching the show just for something to watch, but now, wow, Malec has certainly stolen the show away from the “leads”.

They are fantastic together. Matt Daddario is beyond dreamy!!! Where has he been? Or heck, where have I been that I’ve never seen him before this?

Is it Tuesday yet?

16. I’m dying right now, just dying.

17. Crystal says:

This clip has me legit crying…I’m slightly embarrassed by that fact. Its just so painful to watch two people be in so much pain. Magnus is basically do his version of pick me, choose me, love me and ithe hurts. Alec is anothereally level of pain he probably has never been honest with himself a day in his life. Whether he wants Magnus or not he clearly doesn’t want to marry Lydia. Alright back to listening to War of Hearts until tomorrow

18. lucy says:

So in the final book are alec and Magnus still together? I need a yes or a no

19. Iridescence says:

Yes Magnus will convince Alec! He has to! MALEC MALEC <3

20. Diana Alexa says:

kill me… they just killed me with this scene. I cannot wait until this comes out (please kiss!!)

They’re doing a great job and I totally love the way Matthew portraits Alec’s confusing emotions and how Harry is showing Magnus’ anguish at Alec’s desire to please the Shadowhunter’s rules. It’s like when he describes Alec in the books – <>
    I think Harry is doing a great acting of Magnus as he comes across as well-versed in the lines of emotions and Shadowhunter’s world/rules and like many others have said, he is aware that Alec will only doom himself if he marries Lydia whom he doesn’t love in the least (not even sexually desire).

I still disagree with the wedding part and I so hope the directors don’t push it through because Malec were angsty enough without Alec having a wife :))
    In any case…I’m looking forward to either be killed or thrilled to the sky!

21. Marion says:

OMG! FINALLY!
    And I think, this episode has the title “Malec” for a reason! So I’m very excited for tomorrow!

22. magnusbane says:

feels sad to think that they are not together forever. Books read in the know😏😭💔. Perhaps the show could go otherwise?😍

23. Ashuri says:

Omg! The anticipation is killing me!!!! Malec is my favourite couple in this series. I can’t wait for tonight! After I finished reading the series I was left wanting more of Malec and I hope with the show I won’t be disappointed. These two dealt with so many hardships and I want to see them happy. So, I hope that Magnus is able to talk Alec out of this marriage so he doesn’t make a huge mistake! Vive la Malec!