Criminal Minds Prentiss Returns

Criminal Minds Boss: Prentiss' Visit Brings 'Laughs and Love' — 'The Timing Couldn't Have Been More Perfect'

Criminal Minds welcomes back one beloved face on the heels of bidding adieu to another, when Paget Brewster guest-stars on Wednesday’s episode (CBS, 9/8c).

Setting the stage for the fan favorite’s latest encore: Interpol agent Emily Prentiss reunites with her BAU buds when evidence indicates that a serial killer she has been steadfastly tracking overseas has set up shop Stateside.

“She has been dealing with a copycat killer that she came really close to catching in London, where he was copying Jack the Ripper,” showrunner Erica Messer previews. “She was kind of having nightmares about this guy and the fact that he eluded her, so she has been on high alert to see where he pops up next, because he has a very clear killing pattern.” Once it becomes evident that said slayer has now landed on the BAU’s radar, Prentiss says to her old pals, “I would love to come help you catch this guy.”

Messer and the Criminal Minds team had been angling to bring Brewster back for a while now. Having last reprised her role as Prentiss in February 2014 (for the series’ 200th episode), the  actress was eyeballed to help fill the void when A.J. Cook went on maternity leave last summer. But when Fox ordered the sitcom Grandfathered to series, Brewster sadly became unavailable.

RELATED Criminal Minds Boss on [Spoiler]’s Exit and Who Will Be Hit Hardest

Now that Grandfathered has wrapped production on its freshman run, “I’m so excited that we get her finally,” Messer effuses. “And the timing couldn’t have been more perfect,” given that longtime team member Derek Morgan just delivered a round of sad goodbyes,Criminal Minds Prentiss Returns after deciding to quit the FBI and be a family man. “We really wanted to do something big after Shemar [Moore] left,” says the EP, “and there’s nothing greater than bringing back our sweet Emily Prentiss.”

In fact, especially when compared to her previous visit, “It’s more Prentiss than we’ve had in years, which is nice,” Messer reports. “Paget was adorable at first, like, ‘Is there too much Prentiss in this story?’ I was like, ‘Nooo, there is no such thing!’ So yeah, we were thrilled to have her back.”

RELATED CBS Announces Early Renewal for 11 Shows

Similarly for Hotch, Reid, Garcia and Rossi, their colleague’s return serves as “a happy distraction” as they begin to learn what a Morgan-less team looks like. Says Messer, “She’s sort of delicate about it at first, but then it becomes the ‘elephant in the room’ that they talk about,” benefitting from the BAU alum’s highly qualified perspective. “She can look at it from what Morgan must be feeling right now, because she was once Morgan. She decided to walk away, so she knows what that is. We tried to bring all of that to life.”

Watch an exclusive sneak peek, then read on for more:

All told, “By the end of the episode, it’s a lovely look at ‘Here’s what happens when an old friend comes back.’ It’s laughs and a lot of love,” Messer states, before adding the Criminal caveat: “Killing aside, it’s a feel-good episode.”

Want more scoop on Criminal Minds, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Mr. Tran K says:

Fans of CM are excited to see Paget Brewster back but with the departure of Shemar Moore, I’m crossing my fingers to see whether or not the suspense series will be renewed for a 12th and maybe just maybe a proper “final season”.

2. Kendall says:

I can’t wait love paget and emily

3. They were super smart about this! All the “I’m never watching this show again without Morgan.” people (many of which said the same after Prentiss left) will be like “OMG, gotta check Prentiss out!”

I love this show and the cast and truly believe that no one makes or breaks an ensamble show! Will be glad to see her, and will be glad to keep watching afterward!

4. Lady K says:

I want two things from this episode: first, for Prentiss to step off the elevator raving about how cute Hank Spencer is and how much she cannot wait to spoil him, and two, some sort of indication that she and Mick Rawson have a thing. That is it.

5. Whatevah says:

This show MUST be renewed! Come on CBS…

6. Angela says:

Perfect timing indeed. I can’t wait to see her have a few heart-to-heart talks with the others about Morgan’s recent departure, and how they’re dealing with it. Emily bringing in her own experience with leaving will be a good touch, too, to give more perspective.
    So excited to see her pop in for a visit! After the sadness of last week, this is definitely going to be a nice pick-me-up. Can’t wait.

7. Michelle says:

I’m glad that Emily is back, bumbed that Derek has gone. ? When will they renew Criminal Minds? Why do they take so long?

8. Sue says:

We love Emily Prentess .hope she stays for a few shows

9. Danielle says:

I love to see prentiss back on criminal minds

10. By the way I love u Reid hope all your dreams come true criminal minds cast

11. Tina Davis says:

Miss Shemar Moore already! Love Paget and her role on CM. Can’t wait! Absolutely adore her in Grandfathered!

12. Steve says:

For some reason i never liked “Morgan” so him leaving doesn’t bother me. (Now if they would have Rossi walk!). Prentiss’s character and the way Brewster played her fit right in. Her interaction with JJ and Reed was a central core. I know she likes comedy but she’s wasting her talent and CM should find a way to have her “come back” more often.

13. Aly says:

I am so excited about this! Haven’t watched much of CM since she left, but u will definitely catch this episode for sure.

14. barbara branski says:

So glad Prentiss is back I missed her she has so much talent.

15. Brittany Drake says:

This show is the best show I have ever seen. I love that Emily is coming back but nothing will be the same without Morgan. I hope Emily stays on the show. I love you!

16. Jimmy says:

Okay, I’m super angry with you guys – your headline just spoiled the whole season for me! PLEASE be more careful!!

17. Constance says:

Shemar is a great actor! When he left Y&R,I was crushed. CM Filled that void with him part of the cast..Welcome back Messed.. a sad exit, but a happy entrance

18. Rhonda Stump says:

Shamar and Reid’s relationship was unique. The team blended well together. I cannot imagine the show without his strength and talent. Never cared for Pagent Brewster. Her personality is nothing in comparison to Shamar or acting ability. Big let done for fans from the beginning of series.

19. Nicole Hurt says:

I have been a loyal fan of the show since the good ole days when Gideon was still there. Btw, I hated to see him leave but thought Rossi was a great replacement. We’ve seen characters come and go trying to fill the proverbial “big shoes” of Emily Prentiss, but lets face it, she has no equal. I was so sad to see her go, but had a feeling she would pop back in from time to time. After all, she’s still doing the same work, but on a larger scale. Their paths have to cross every now and then. I just wish it was a more permanent crossing. I do hate to see Morgan go, and was waiting for the titanic sized meltdown from Garcia, but as long as she, Hotch, JJ, and Spencer don’t go, I think the show can maintain its loyal followers. Also, most of the music I listen to came from researching the shows amazing selection of new, old, indie, pop, etc. People often ask me who I’m listening to and how I discovered them. Thank you Criminal Minds for filling what would be hours of boredom with new shows and my favorite…reruns.

20. hawaiireadergirl says:

Hooray, my husband and I love Prentiss/Paget (we like Grandfathered) but she is so much better in Criminal Minds. Hope she can come back often!!! Will miss Morgan but he was getting a little bit renegade for me.

21. Lisa corkum says:

Shemar Moore should never have left . he made the show it won’t be the same not sure if I want to watch this anymore it’s to sad.

22. Jo says:

If Derek is leaving I will no longer be watching!👎🏻

23. Terry Mitchell says:

Please bring Derek Morgan back. The show is not the same without him. He is my favourite

24. Mbishop says:

Awesome episode! So nice to have Prentiss back even if for just one episode. She has been greatly missed.

25. sinella says:

I do hope and wish that there will bring back Derek as much as I love the show I missing the originally case but in do welcome the new members

26. Janett says:

Still in shock at Shemar leaving. It was being hit with a baseball bat. Cried thru the last 30 minutes of the show. Had no idea he was leaving. I wish him nothing but the best. Will miss him a lot. Shemar wishing you success in your future projects.

27. paula mikell says:

love Emily very classy character with morgan gone the series really needs her!!!