Video: Supergirl, The Flash Stars Talk Crossover Chemistry, James' Jealousy

No wonder James Olsen is feeling a little green with jealousy.

The friendly rapport between Melissa Benoist and Grant Gustin‘s superheroes — and the actors themselves — is on full display in this behind-the-scenes video for Supergirl‘s crossover with The Flash (airing Monday at 8/7c, on CBS).

“They have such good chemistry because there’s this joy about them and humor and lightheartedness,” Benoist says in the featurette. (Try to resist her excited laugh about the crossover. We dare you!)

Barry Allen’s improbable arrival yields different responses from Kara’s friends. In a glimpse at some new footage, Winn (played by Jeremy Jordan) is beyond excited to learn their new pal comes from another universe, while James (Mehcad Brooks) wonders, “How could you travel that fast?” Cue Barry giving him and Kara a demonstration of his abilities — and ice cream cones, to boot!

Also glimpsed in the preview: a Three Musketeers reference from the Scarlet Speedster, a scary turn from Siobhan’s Silver Banshee and that much-hyped race to see who’s faster.

Press PLAY above to watch, then hit the comments with your hopes for the special crossover event.

1. sarah t says:

I’ve only watched a couple of episodes of Supergirl (couldn’t quite get into it like I have the Flash or Arrow) but I’ll definitely check this out. Looks like a good team up.

2. Monday can’t get here fast enough

3. Mr. Tran K says:

So excited about this awesome episode even though I watched both Supergirl and The Flash. I’m wondering if Grant Gustin looks like Jeremy Jordan.

4. Brigid says:

These 2 are absolutely adorable!!! Looks like a great episode.

5. Wordsmith says:

Okay, permit me to WAY overthink that last scene: did Flash steal those ice cream cones from some unsuspecting kids, or did he scoop them himself? I assume he left money, though if he’s from another universe, technically all of his money is counterfeit…

6. coco says:

This is gonna be fun. Can’t wait to see it!

7. Selma says:

Looks pretty cool! Will definitely watch. I think Snyder dropped the ball when he casted a different actor to play The Flash in the DC film version. Grant Gustin IS The Flash.

• Ted says:

From what I hear about the film, Gustin is lucky he DIDN’T get cast in that film. He and Stephen Amell should be relieved that their takes on the characters get to keep away from that garbage fire.

• Elf says:

That would be a horrible decision. Both Superman and Batman would berate the Flash for not causing enough structural damages when he fights.

• Wordsmith says:

Other than that black hole thing that almost ate the city last year. Or the buildings and bridges that he routinely fails to prevent from being destroyed (though loss of life is miraculously low).
        Also all of the broken windows every time he goes out for a jog and breaks the sound barrier…

• dan says:

You’re right, they should have stuck with him. But the others are right that he dodged a bullet.

• Mo says:

Except this Barry would be trying to save people from the destruction caused by Batman & Superman. Or worse, try to stop the two idiots – er, I mean heroes from fighting. Both of which would be a total buzzkill as far as Snyder & DC are concerned.

8. ninamags says:

It really says something about how exciing this is. A tv show and two actors that have chemistry and their roles are fun and lighthearted. And on a teeny, tiny budget.

As opposed to whats getting ready to go down in spectacular flames this weekend. I’m glad the tv shows are getting this DC universe down.

9. Joey Padron says:

good behind the scenes video of crossover episode. so excited to see the episode next Monday!

10. Ted says:

The Flash is easily the best of the CW superhero shows and Supergirl has grown by leaps and bounds (no pun intended) since the first couple episodes. This is going to be GREAT.

11. acurat says:

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn’t Melissa Benoist and Grant Gustin work together on Fox’s Glee! for at least a season? It probably did not hurt that they have worked together before.

12. hi, im only new fan first right now just to super,girl

13. Azerty says:

Seriously Superman’s best friend / Supergirl’s “almost” boyfriend is sceptical about superpowers? His character was a great addition at the beginning but I feel he serves less and less purpose lately (other than Kara’s love interest) I am more interested in Winn and Alex…Anyway I love the fact that Barry wants to compete with every superhero he befriends!

14. Jason says:

I hope they hurry up and get James and Kara together I like the pair togeher. Almost 20 episodes and they’re moving at snails pace.

15. BirdieWolf says:

Really don’t care that your are jealous James. Your feelings don’t matter.

• Mike says:

Open your eyes :) supergirl doesn’t fancy James Olson the actor at all!!! She fancies the actor who plays the flash and the toy mans son too, she should leave personal feelings out of acting :) after all that’s what acting is pretending!!

16. bluji says:

Haven’t watched any Supergirl, but this might just be what gets me to watch it. Seems like a great, fun event! :D

17. Phun says:

Cannot wait! This looks awesome!

18. Leo says:

All giddyness aside, how will it work into Alex and J’onn on the run. So far the writers have kept the series light and fun, until this last episode, which started down a darker path. This will most likely be temporary, Supergirl seems to be meant to always be light and fun.

19. Fido says:

I feel like I’ve opened a box of kittens, then found another box of kittens.

20. Emperor David of the Terran Empire says:

I wonder how the Flash will Get to Kara’s Earth and what Earth Number it is.

• Melissa says:

I’ve never watched The Flash or know any of the canon, can you explain to me why they say he’s from another universe??

• Luli says:

There are a lot of Earths that are in the same universe, but vibrate in a different frequency, so people are not aware that another Earth exists. And if one is fast enough a breach could open that lets them travel to another Earth. And so that is how Barry gets to Supergirl’s Earth.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Close, basically change earths to universes, and universe to multiverse… Each earth is in its own universe, Barry can go fast enough to change his cellular frequency plus break the barrier. He travels the multiverse to get to different earths.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Well actually it looks like he still needs tachyons to help boost him to go fast enough… I don’t know how fast the TV series plans to let the Flash go, but if you compared it to the comics, he’s going maybe 5%, not even, currently.

21. Jason says:

It looked like the set was filled with… dare I say it? glee? :D

22. Leo says:

They need to bring Carter Grant back into the the series to complicate Kara’s non existing love life. How funny would it be if Carter and Kara were getting down to serious business when she hears something going down across town and has to leave. Now that would be something.

23. Abel Garcia says:

I hope The Flash is on for more than 15 seconds, I’ll watch.

24. Dandry Gooden says:

I will like to see Superman races Flash

25. Mo says:

Barry & Kara are cute, but I hope they’re not too cute the whole ep. OTOH, they’d make a great palate cleanser after BvS.

And James, no need to be jealous. You’re still buffer than Barry with his multi-layers of clothes. Just think of Barry as Kara’s twin by another universe.

• Hytecker says:

A twin brother who could kick Olsens ass! Buffer doesn’t mean better. Still no chemistry between him and Kara.