Shameless Spoilers

Shameless' Emmy Rossum on Fiona's Love Life: 'Why Is She Never Single?'

Shameless‘ Fiona has had no shortage of love interests during the Showtime series’ six-year run.

Let’s take a quick tally (deep breath): There’s hustler Jimmy/Steve (played by Justin Chatwin), banker Adam (James Wolk), married man Craig (Taylor Kinney), Jimmy/Steve again, her boss Mike (Jake McDorman), Mike’s brother Robbie (Nick Gehlfuss), short-time husband Gus (Steve Kazee), Jimmy/Steve the Reckoning and now ex-drug addict Sean (Dermot Mulroney).

Even Fi, herself, recently recognized she has a problematic romantic M.O., confessing to fiancé Sean, “I jump from relationship to relationship without ever catching my breath, which is why my life is such a f–kin’ mess.”

Perhaps it’s time for the gal to take a breather from men and dating? Her portrayer Emmy Rossum, who believes her character was speaking the truth in that moment, is all for the idea.

“I keep saying to our producers, ‘Why is she never single?'” the actress tells TVLine. “I say every single season, ‘Why do we keep putting her with these guys? Can’t we have four episodes where she’s single?’ Women are single! They don’t just bridge from one guy to another. Some girls do, and Fiona does, but I would love to see her struggle with nobody.”

It’s a storyline that the writers “absolutely have considered,” executive producer Krista Vernoff says. “We talk about it a lot.” But the EP admits, “We have just found, probably selfishly as writers, that there’s great material in Fiona’s relationships. Also, there’s a lot of women in our writers’ room and none of us took breaks from dating in our early twenties. We didn’t [think], ‘Maybe I should spend some time alone,’ until we were older than Fiona.”

Plus, the eldest Gallagher’s self-destructive pattern isn’t without reasonable justification. “She is a damaged woman who comes from damaging parents,” Vernoff explains. “When your father is Frank…you want a different experience of male love, and so, she looks for that. Often, she ends up attracting different versions of Frank, which is some of what we were playing with in the reveal of Sean being a drug user.”

Shameless SpoilersAdds Rossum: “It’s true – having not had a father, she is needy for that constant physical touch. I understand that need and that fear of being alone. She has a huge abandonment issue, too. So I can understand where [her behavior is] coming from. [Wanting her to be single is] my wishing that her wounds were more healed than they are.”

In the meantime, Fiona is moving forward with her second wedding, determined to make this union a success. So what makes Sean the right guy for her to marry?

“I don’t know that we know that he is,” Rossum replies ominously before adding with a laugh, “TBD.”

“There have been some red flags, and she is operating [with the idea that] if she pretends everything is normal, then it’s normal,” the actress continues. “I think she’s going to get a pretty rude awakening.”

As her big day approaches, Fiona will also get a surprise courtesy of the absentee dad who gifted her with so many issues.

“[This Sunday’s episode] is particularly interesting because of how the dynamic between Fiona and Frank flips on its head,” Rossum previews. “We see, for the first time, Frank is quite interested in parenting, being part of the wedding. For what reason, we’re not really sure. Fiona finds herself really wanting to lean into that affection and not trusting it.”

1. Shannon says:

The idea that they won’t even let Fiona go part of a season, a few episodes, without a love interest, is absurd. It’s not “taking a break from dating” to go a few weeks or months without meeting someone new; it’s a normal part of life. And as someone who’s been watching and getting increasingly frustrated with Fiona’s boring and uninspired romance plots, I’m not really seeing all this great material the writers think they’re getting from it.

• Joey says:

Keep in mind that these are the same writers and producers that thought it was a good idea to dump Mickey and Mandy, who are infinitely more interesting than the Gallaghers.

• Lulu says:

AMEN!!!!!

• jerrired says:

Yeah I found that statement from writers so problematic. I always thought it was unrealistic when shows have characters constantly dating. Yeah, I know women who are always in relationships but I know a lot more who take breaks, and we’re all in our 20es! Sometimes you meet a string of guys you like, sometimes you don’t. It’s not abnormal to be single in your 20s. Fiona’s romances is also one of the reasons I stopped watching Shameless. They’re just not that compelling and turn out predictable.

2. LM says:

While I check in on websites like this, I stopped watching after the producers clumsily disposed of Jimmy (and then I foolishly tuned in for a couple of episodes to see them unceremoniously send him off — AFTER that surprise post-credits return).

Fiona’s love life appears to be a sad soap opera.

• Bwhit says:

They could right a huge wrong if by the end of the series they bring him back and he ends up with her. I still resent the writers for ruining him in season 3.

3. Bwhit says:

Is it just me or is that a horrible explanation by the EP? I would be more intrigued by Emmy’s suggestion next season because I don’t think this Sean marriage is going to go anywhere. The only thing this clears up is why the quality has gone down so much. Yes she has dad issues, but that proves exactly why her being single and addressing those issues would be better to watch than what guy she can find next.

4. Lulu says:

There are infinitely more interesting things about Fiona then her love life. There’s nothing entertaining or compelling about it. It’s exhausting.

5. Tracey Lynn Yeaman says:

I don’t think Fiona and Sean will even get married. I’ve been reading some spoilers and it clearly states that Fiona will be a “bride” again this season. It doesn’t say anywhere that she will be a “wife”.

6. almostgeddon says:

The quality of this show took a vicious nosedive after season 4. I almost feel bad that Emmys still stuck on this terribly written show. Shameless has (had) great actors that are given NOTHING to work with anymore.

7. tallsy says:

You forgot the cop, Tony.

Nothing about this show is interesting any more. But that makes sense because it’s Season 6, and there’s no story left to tell. Shows like Shameless just aren’t built to last this long (unless you went to a rotating cast like the UK version.)

8. AM68 says:

So…because these female writers were too insecure in their twenties to be single Fiona should be as well?? Seeing a bunch of toxic and random relationships isn’t interesting to a viewer. Seeing a character grown and struggle and figure themselves out is. Especially since Fiona is a recovering addict. Isn’t that something they tell people in recovery anyway? To be alone for awhile and not depend on substances- and people – to make them feel better?? This show has always been horrible to me anyway. I always tune in to one or two episodes a season but the writing is so atrocious I give up.

9. MollyFaraday says:

The writing on this show is beyond justification, honestly.

I became a less angry person when I decided not to watch this season. After Noel jumping ship and Ian being replaced by a horrible clone, Frank being alive and repetitive, paired with LITTLE DEBS having a little one, and all this Fiona marriage nonsense, it was good to have a moment of clarity where I was better off staying away from this hot mess than never had much quality after season 4.

PS Krista Vernoff: just because things happen to you or other writers mean that they would make narrative or character -sense. Write a memoir if you want to be portrayed that much.

10. HAP says:

Why has this hugely talented woman never received an Emmy nomination?

11. Adele Carne says:

I hate when the writers give the excuse ‘this is what I did, so the character should too’. The character isn’t you. The character has a different story and life to you entirely. I’m betting the writers didn’t have young, infant children to raise from their teenage years. Fiona is a guardian and parent to these kids, her focus she’d be on them, but because she’s in her twenties she needs to jump from bed to bed? No. Fiona’s situation is different and she’s had to grow up quicker for her age, but lets ignore that and just make it about a twenty-something going from boyfriend to boyfriend wooo!!!

Lazy writing.

12. Sheena says:

Nooooo!!!! I like Sean as a character (perhaps because I also really enjoy watching Dermot Mulroney). He has issues, she has issues, but they support each other. Though, clearly from the photo the two are arguing post-Frank and Sean fight.

13. Leona says:

Really? some of you are taking things way too personal. The whole idea is that this family is dysfunctional. Fiona’s trashy, tragic love life is a component of that dysfunction. I think the characters and writing are superb. The anticipation of what Frank will scheme, lie and cheat with next is enough for me. Some people should just stick to ABC family.

14. Marco says:

BRING SHEILA BACK. She was hilarious.

15. Vanessa says:

I’ve never seen a show go downhill like this. There was always a reason before- the characters went to college and the setting had to change, or the was a lot of behind-the-scenes drama, or it had just run out of steam. But the setting and actors and writers are all the same, and instead of running out of ideas the 4th season of the show was actually the one that seemed to recharge it and get critical praise. I used to look forward to this every week, and Fiona was my favorite character. I couldn’t wait to see where she would go after the roller coaster ride of the 4th season. But all that development was thrown out. Now none of the Gallagher’s resemble who they were and they don’t feel like a family anymore.

16. Deborah Nichols says:

Bring Sheila Mickey Mandy n Steve/Jimmy back! Put Fiona n jimmy together n make the show great again! Lip n Mandy together n ian n mickey together!!!!!

17. James says:

Shameless in my opinion started out as a corky but believe able love story. The character Steve/jimmy was a perfect fit. Yes, he was on again off again, but the plot and story line was brilliant. Yes, Fiona is a hood girl confused at times because she was never allowed to be a kid so her mistakes are all human. She’s a real person and the viewers can feel her soul. For the producer to not bring Jimmy/ Steve back would be suicide to this show, not to mention unamerican .The American Dream is to find your place in this life. That’s the beauty of our country, anything can happen. So, why can’t Fiona have her Steve/ jimmy? But either way Fiona is my hero on this show, she’s so resilient . She deserves a happy ending.

18. laura says:

Good character in Fiona. Children of addicts do that stuff. We need Jimmy and Fiona to get their stuff together, together in the end. But keep the drama up be dragging him in here and there….more ofter.

• James moire says:

It make sense that Fiona and jimmy re-unite, their chemistry just works, I was thrown off every time they take him off the show. Fiona hasn’t had a fit with any other leading guy . The producer started off with true brilliance. I think they are smart enough to bring Jimmy back or at least end the show with him, not a drug addict or some other weak looser. I’m rooting for Jimmy.

• odus says:

I have been watching this film from season1 and i love it. especially Steve/Jimmy and Fiona. Please let this film have a happy ending by bring the two togehter. Jimmy really care for fiona. He does all what he did in order to help fiona who is unwilling to leave the family tie with the ghlhagata. Jimmy really love Fiona and it will be suicidal if the two are not join together for an happy ending. i have just stop watching it since jimmy is no more active in the film.

19. Carolin says:

Bring back jimmy/Steve, please!

20. carol says:

she loves steve/ jimmy /jack…so she never go be satisfied for anyone

21. Krystal Benavides says: