CBS, Y&R Lead Daytime Emmy Nods; Ceremony Won't Be Televised

Daytime TV’s best and brightest got bittersweet news on Thursday afternoon.

While CBS and The Young and the Restless led the list of networks and programs up for 2016 Daytime Emmy awards — with 77 and 27 nods respectively — the announcement was tempered by the news that the ceremony will not be televised.

“After last year’s critically successful Daytime [Emmys] telecast [on Pop], it is with great disappointment that The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences announces that there will not be a broadcast of the 43rd Annual Daytime Emmy Awards,” said Bob Mauro, NATAS president, in a release. “After months of negotiations to find show sponsorship, the NATAS Executive Board has decided that the current climate for awards shows prohibits the possibility of a telecast this year. With that said, we will be putting on a world-class awards celebration honoring the best and brightest of daytime television and look forward to an exciting show. All efforts regarding returning the annual gala to television in 2017 are underway.”

Following CBS with total nominations were PBS (with 56 nods), ABC (with 37) and Netflix (with 33); syndicated programs accounted for 59 nods, as well.

In addition to Y&R, shows that managed nominations in the double digits included ABC’s General Hospital (24 nods); CBS’ The Bold and the Beautiful (23); NBC’s Days of Our Lives (16); and PBS’ Sesame Street, Amazons’ Annedroids and the syndicated Ellen DeGeneres Show (with 10 each);

Below, the rundown of nominees in major categories, which were announced live on CBS’ The Talk:

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES

Finola Hughes (GH)
Maura West (GH)

LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Tyler Christopher (GH)
Anthony Geary (Luke, GH)
Justin Hartley (Y&R)
Christian LeBlanc (Michael, Y&R)
Kristoff St. John (Y&R)

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Lauralee Bell (Y&R)
Jessica Collins (Y&R)
Linsey Godfrey (Caroline, B&B)
Peggy McCay (Days)
Melissa Reeves (Days)

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Sean Blakemore (GH)
Steve Burton (Y&R)
Bryton James (Y&R)
Jacob Young (Rick, B&B)
Dominic Zamprogna (GH)

YOUNGER ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Reign Edwards (B&B)
Hunter King (Summer, Y&R)
True O’Brien (Days)
Ashlyn Pearce (B&B)
Brooklyn Rae Silzer (GH)

YOUNGER ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Nicolas Bechtel (GH)
Bryan Craig (Morgan, GH)
Max Ehrich (Fenmore, Y&R)
Pierson Fodé (B&B)
Tequan Richmond (T.J., GH)

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW HOST

The Ellen DeGeneres Show
The Wendy Williams Show
The Real
The View
The Talk

More to come…

The complete list of Daytime Emmy nominees can be found at EmmyOnline.com.

1. Mike says:

So they’re willing to take time to announce them on CBS, but nobody is willing to show it…I’m at a loss. :(

• dannie enbody says:

I am not sad about not having to watch this crap. Y&R, nor any of these shows are of the quality they were years ago. So, as far as I am concerned, they are doing us a favor…

• Min says:

Paige was the WORST actress on DAYS, and shes nominated for an Emmy??? Caroline?? Jennifer??? The only DAYS actress worthy of the EMMY is Eve!!!! Hope she wins.

• James says:

Days may have submitted the episode where she found out about her mom’s affair with JJ. She was actually really good in that instalment.

• Chloe says:

Agreed. She improved at the end when she stopped wandering around in that drippy state she had been in for months.

At least, thank goodness, they didn’t nominate SORASed Ciara. She’s so wooden and bland. She’s just horrible.

2. Steven says:

Will the show be streamed online?

3. This is the most foolish thing….. I wan’t to be able to watch it. I work from home and get to see daytime all day… Why can we not have a channel take it. This is ridiculous.

4. LT says:

Yup…you can promote your primetime shows and movie trailers in the daytime shows, but heaven forbid, daytime gets any love from it’s peers. The fact that this show does not have a television partner…AGAIN is deplorable!

5. Mary says:

Doesn’t surprise me another slap in the face to daytime TV. They are one of the hardest working actors and actress around and yet not one network will cover them. Oh but we can have 5 Country music award shows and how many TV award shows. You think with the technology of today they could at least live stream it.

6. Walkie says:

No nomination for Thaao Penghlis is a joke.

• Mr. Tran K says:

I was thinking the exact same thing. He was so good at being bad and great to see him back on DAYS. Also Camryn Grimes of Y&R got snubbed again.

7. Mike says:

Considering the publicity that CBS should be getting(seeing as they have 2 of the 4 current soaps) you’d think they’d maybe even eat a little bit of money to broadcast it.

and for those that mentioned streaming that would make perfect sense. I mean, how expensive can it be to stream it if some Joe Shmo can live stream from their basement?

8. Eric H says:

So they have enough interest to announce the nominations on CBS’ The Talk but not enough to actually air the show where the awards will actually be handed out? Makes absolutely no sense.

9. The fact that Tyler Christopher was nominated and not Jason Thompson is a joke.

But Brooklyn was nominated, and she’s a great little actress.

10. dannie enbody says:

This is a bunch of nonsense. Y&R is the worst show on television, and with the exception of Kristoff St. John, none of these people deserves Emmy nods. What are they comparing Y&R to? There are only four soaps left on television, and this is all political. Giving away Emmys just to convince the viewers this show is top notch is a sad commentary. Thank god it is not on TV, as I may throw up watching it! Quality programming left the airways a long time ago…

11. Mr. Tran K says:

Happy to see LMAD bounce back after getting snubbed last year. Hope TPIR won’t win Outstanding Game Show this year even though the iconic game show has sunk despite the criticism they went through all because of executive producer Mike Richards who took over back in the Fall of 2009 and I don’t know if he turn PRICE into a freak show which people on Facebook said it. I’m very happy Drew Carey once again didn’t get nominated for the…I don’t know 900th time and there’s a real reason why he still doesn’t get the Daytime Emmy love Mr. Carey truly deserves and fans continues to have mixed feelings about him as the host but who knows how long Drew will stay on the show depending on his “contract”.

12. Margaret clarke says:

That’s ridiculous why can’t they put it on line. These people are the hardest working and not to be able to see your favorites get there just rewards saddens me.

13. Jackie DeFord says:

Why are the Daytime Emmys not teleivised?

14. Tina Marland says:

I think it’s totally unfair that the daytime fans can’t watch the show. All the other award shows are on, this one should also be on TV. Disappointed fan!

15. Erin B says:

Happy for Justin Hartley! I thought he was a lock, but you never know.

16. Jimmy says:

The year they attempted to stream the awards online was the singularly most cringe-worthy live event I’ve ever seen so please…do NOT get that idea in your heads again. I’d rather see the events depicted with sock puppets on Disney Jr. than be forced to sit through such a fiasco again.

17. clee2525 says:

That is just plain terrible! First we have found out years ago that some of the longest-running soaps were cancelled… and now we find out that this year’s Daytime Emmys won’t be televised. How pathetic! And messed up! They should at least have the decency to let us know who will announce the winners, when, and where to find. They better find a channel ready and willing to air next year’s show, and/or at least postpone this year’s ceremony till they find another channel, or for Pete’s sake, do something.

18. Carole says:

So happy for Justin Hartley as Adam on Y&R! He makes the show exciting again!

19. Carole says:

Go Wendy..I watch you everyday to laugh and get my gossip! Hope you win!

20. Connie says:

I love to see the Emmy award. I try to watch it every year I love to see the soap cast. connie

21. Why even bother seem more like the focus of a big business is being destroyed with replacement of these so called reality, food, news, and talk shows. The sponsors, executives, producers, managers etc. has lost sight of what the population of people enjoy watching even men today love a good soap opera. This is such a lost what has happen to good old entertainment. They destroyed AMC, OLTL two of the best soap operas ever replaced them with some food programs that was another poor decision. Now instead of having a Day Emmy’s Awards show these people want to cancel and just announce the winners on talk shows.

22. Yvette says:

So sorry there will not be Daytime Emmy Awards show. I will miss it.

23. yvette44 says:

So sorry there will be no Daytime Emmy Awards Show. I really enjoy watching it and I do watch some of the shows that are nominated. Too bad, I will miss it.

24. Eric7740 says:

I will never understand the DISRESPECT the Daytime Emmys get every year!!! The Daytime actors (cast and crew) are some of the hardest working individuals in the television medium and yet every year there is always a struggle to get the Daytime Emmys televised!!! Yet every single music award show, every kid voted award show, dog award show, etc. are always televised every year without fail and without worry!!!! I will never understand how some of the hardest working cast and crews are consistently disrespected!!! I feel so incredibly sorry for the daytime community and the fans.

• yvette44 says:

I agree with you all the way. I have been watching Y&R since I was a kid and B&B dice the start. It is sad that there won’t be a Daytime Emmy Awards Show, but there is always an music award show of some sort for the some of the most awful music I have ever heard. Pretty sad indeed. 😡😠😟🙁☹️😣😣😢😭

25. Diane O. White says:

They should be telecast. All the other award shows of importance are

26. Derrick says:

Congrats to the nominees! Some of the nominees have left me scratching my head! If Kristoff St. John wins Lead Actor, he will join Heather Tom as being the 2nd actor to win in all 3 categories and the 1st black actor to do that. Anyone but Tony Geary!

27. Betty Smith says:

I think it is terrible for the soap opera fans not to be able to see the awards show im so disappointed! Im with the fans it is deplorable find some way to televise it.

28. Shelly Thomas says:

I also lo utely hate it that they never put the awards on tv anymore!!!! Id rather watch that than the poor show we saw for the Oscars!!!!!!! Its a bunch of horse manure!!!!!

29. Mildred Belizaire says:

After supporting daytime shows, soap operas all theses years, it would be , and appreciated if a Network would televize the Daytime Emmy Awards. I hope next year will be different.
    Thank you much!

30. chris spicer says:

What channel

31. Karen says:

What a shame!!!!why do we have to hear about the winners, instead of being able to watch the emmys,no cable,no regular tv,THIS IS UN-AMERICAN.The networks make enough money,and find money for everything else.I can not believe this. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

32. Arlene webb says:

Very disappointing

33. Cathy Viviano says:

As a big y r fan, I am disappointed that the daytime emmy awards will not be televised!!! Shame on you national academy of television arts and sciences