Animal Kingdom Gets June Premiere Date at TNT — Watch the Trailer Now!

“He’s blood, baby. He’s in… ’til he proves he isn’t.”

Those aren’t exactly the words you’d expect a woman to say about her grandson, but in the world of TNT’s Animal Kingdom, that might be as warm and fuzzy as it gets.

The network announced today that the series — starring Ellen Barkin (The New Normal), Scott Speedman (Felicity) and Shawn Hatosy (Southland) — will premiere June 7.

Animal Kingdom centers on 17-year-old Joshua “J” Cody (Peaky Blinders’ Finn Cole), who moves to a Southern California beach town to live with his not-exactly-law-abiding family after his mother dies of a heroin overdose.

Guns, violence, robberies, exposed torsos and Barkin-esque badassery abound in the trailer.

Animal Kingdom is executive-produced by John Wells (ER, The West Wing) and Jonathan Lisco (Southland, Halt and Catch Fire, Damages, NYPD Blue), with the former directing and the latter writing the pilot. The series is “inspired” by the feature film of the same name.

No word yet on a premiere date for TNT’s other upcoming launch, the Michele Dockery vehicle Good Behavior, which is currently being eyed for the fall.

Press PLAY above for the whole enchilada, then tell us if you’ll be watching Animal Kingdom.

1. Mr. Tran K says:

Pass on Animal Kingdom. This show may get people really sick.

2. wrstlgirl says:

Looks good to me. I like the cast.

3. Boiler says:

Since TNT decisions on Perception and R&I not a prayer I watch this

• nblackburn01 says:

This is how I feel about Major Crimes. The day the last MC airs, cable is gone. I am done paying for crap that cable execs think is good.

• Tina says:

That’s exactly my feelings too! Major Crimes is the only show I watch on TNT.
        When it ends TNT is off my watch list!
        The “edgier programming” is not what TNT was built on. I just wish the executives running it realized that.

4. Guy says:

I’m not sure about this show. The movie is excellent and so underrated. It’s an absolute gem that most people don’t seem to know about. I highly recommend watching it. I just don’t see this show living up to it.

• militantgod says:

The movie is anything but underrated. Yes, it’s Austrailian so it hasn’t been seen by legions of people but it’s made out to be some classic that you “just have to see!”. Was it good? Yeah, it was a pretty solid little flick but it’s not the classic a lot of people make it out to be and no Ben Mendelsohn isn’t better in this then he is in Bloodline, although he he is still pretty spectacular.

• Guy says:

When did I or anyone say anything comparing his performance in the movie to Bloodline?
        And cool, you have a different opinion than me. I still think the movie is excellent and definitely underrated.

5. johnhelvete says:

FYI. TNT has a newer promo for Good Behavior that claims the series is coming in the fall.

6. gcw07 says:

What happened to all the fun light hearted shows on TNT. Just not really interested in watching all 100% serious shows and there are already enough serious shows out there.

7. N8frogg78 says:

Looks really good. THANK God, the other commenters on here aren’t Neilson households. This show wouldn’t survive. I’m going to check out the movie which this is based off of first. But this looks really out of the norm for TNT. Which is a good thing because I haven’t watched anything on there in years.

8. HAP says:

I really enjoyed the original Australian movie. I must admit to some trepidation as to how this could translate to a US series based in Florida.

9. liame says:

Looks very messy and dirty….Pass.

10. Robert Greene says:

Hell, I’d tune in just to watch Ellen Barkin read the paper.

11. Naomi B says:

Passing….looks WAY too Llama drama. The only thing that TNT has new that looks remotely of interest is The Alienist.

12. SaraPo says:

Scott Speedman AND Shawn Hatosy? ::::fans self::::: Can’t wait for the 90’s nostalgia! Love them both!

13. C J says:

Watched pilot. Thus takes intense to a whole new level…not a good one. Had nightmares. Love the skin, but won’t be watching this show.

14. Lorena says:

Can’t wait! Love the cast!