The Voice recap brittany kennell

The Voice Recap: They Won Their Battles, But Can They Win the War?

If you don’t love The Voice‘s Brittany Kennell and Trey O’Dell now — following their masterful cover of Fleetwood Mac’s “The Chain” — you will never love them again.

After all, the undeniable standouts of the final night of the Season 10 Battle Rounds may be less-hyped than some of their front-running counterparts — and probably won’t get to close the show again between now and the mid-May finale — but for tonight, let’s celebrate their talent and creativity, yes?

Heck, even if they’re not the producers’ chosen vocalists, at least they didn’t get the dreaded montage treatment foisted on another half-dozen unlucky hopefuls tonight, right?

With that question posed, allow me to rank the episode’s Battle Rounds in order from least- to most-promising winner:

3. Team Pharrell: Caity Peters defeats Joe Vivona on Billy Joel’s “Honesty” | Awww, I’m gonna miss that easy-to-root-for Joe! Because while he definitely had some pitch struggles during his Battle, I actually found his overall tone and stage presence more pleasing than four-chair turn Caity, whose overbaked growl and wobbly intonation made her the night’s biggest disappointment.

2. Team Adam: Laith Al-Saadi defeats Matt Tedder on The Rolling Stones’ “Honky Tonk Women” | Laith — a clear winner here thanks to his guttural growl and deep commitment to “feelin’ it!” — will probably get sacrificed during the Knockouts, but he’s a lot of fun to watch for now, no? Then again, if Adam cares at all about winning (questionable, I know), he’ll remember that a wooly beard and a well-past-his-teens demo didn’t stop Nicholas David from making it to the Season 3 finale.

1. Team Blake: Brittany Kennell defeats Trey O’Dell on Fleetwood Mac’s “The Chain” — Oooh, this might be an automatic iTunes download, yes? Brittany’s unique warble and Trey’s bell-clear belting was like potato chips and sour-cream-and-onion dip: An utterly irresistible combo! I loved how the duo took some liberties with the melody — while never disrespecting one of the best pop-rock jams of all-time ever. Onward, and good luck in the Knockouts, you two!

Shown in Montage
Team Adam: Owen Danoff defeats John Gilman
Team Blake: Peyton Parker defeats Gina Castanzo (who is Gina, and why did we never hear her sing this season?!)
Team Xtina: Joe Maye defeats Ayanna Jahnee

What did you think of The Voice‘s fourth set of Season 10 Battles? Any potential winners in the mix? Take our poll, then sound off in the comments!

1. Zayne says:

Michael was right about Daniel being fodder as it was shown that he’s parked up against Allisan in the knockouts. =(

2. Zayne says:

Well, based on the knockout snippet we saw, Michael was clearly right about Daniel being cannon fodder

3. davmon says:

Adam sure as heck put Laith and Matt together…. I loved them in Blinds. Tonight, Matt was quirky fun; but Laith dug deeper and was better. Adam had them singing way too high on the hook, where neither had a feel for it. So the overall effect was mediocre; and two super-talented guys came off bland…. And why a Stone’s song; who has ever done justice to Mick Jagger’s vocal swag?… I am not impressed with Adam’s coaching this season! Last night it was Mike Schiavo! Is he gonna sabotage Ryan Quinn in the Knockouts?!!!

• Mirabal says:

I really liked them, too. In fact, Adam’s team is my favorite with all them musicians. I kept hoping the coaches wouldn’t use up all their steals. Here, Pharrell would have stolen Matt! That would have been interesting. Disappointed not to see the other musicians perform, guess they were montaged.
      Yes, you were right that it did come a little mediocre. This one’s a little tough because they’re more about guitar playing

• Yes he does.He is throwing in the towel.He`s definitely been told to let Christina have it & get out of the way.He gratefully got on both knee`s & said yes.Ryann is on Christina`s team so if it isnt obvious to anyone it should be now.I tolerated Adam before & thought he might some integrity.I was wrong.Competetive he is not & I am dissapointed.The show was taped 3 months ago so that is how I know (Voice Forum Spoiler Threads).Thankfully Blake isnt biting so since they are shoving Allison down our throats so hard Im going to have to vote agianst her even though I like her.They are getting rid of her competition & paving a golden path to the end.If Mary Sarah is sacrificed then its way worse than I thought.

4. davmon says:

The song Honesty was a hard reach for Caity & Joe, tasked to emote on a cerebral lyric—really tough! Bad song choice; neither could shine. How does this happen? Soon, we’ll be wondering if there’s some narrow song list on which producers get a kickback….Anyway, I liked Caity and Joe a lot in Blinds; both have warm tones. But this time, Caity was more consistent.

• kevstar says:

Honesty in a singing competition? What, was Just the Way You Are, not available?

• Mirabala says:

I know, I love Just The Way You Are (Honesty is boring) and I never hear it sung in any competition. Allen Town is great, too

• The Beach says:

Honesty was keyed way to high for Joe. You could tell from the beginning of rehearsal. Plus that’s hardly a battle rounds song. Bad job Pharrell.

5. Andres says:

Adam’s hair now pink.

The clear best battle was Brittney and Trey hands down it was a brilliant song choice from Blake. Glad both are moving on.

6. RK says:

Here’s what confuses me. Why burn off 2 hours of air time with a recap show last week? They could have used that time to finish off auditions and start the battle round and had enough airtime to show all the battles. It’s maddening how much filler is used on this show. Who decided views want all the recapping and previews of what’s to come instead of auditions and battles relegated to the dreaded montage?

• Ani says:

Unfortunately, all that filler, recapping etc. seems to work for them, doesn’t it? Viewers are sticking with it big time. Also annoying are the announcements of the steals–tonight with about 10 minutes left, Carson told us that we were about to witness a monumental steal from Christina. What a surprise!!!

• The Beach says:

I was really looking forward to hearing Owen last night and then he got montaged. Booo.

7. Andres says:

This is how i would rank the teams pre knockouts
    Team Xtina (All the members are really good)
    1.Alisan

4. Malik
    5. Abby
    6. Caity
    7. Emily
    8. Nick

• Russ says:

With all the montages, how can you put out a rankings list? You have not heard half the Artist.

• PointerBis says:

Why are singers montaged at all?

Why isn’t there more outrage about it?

• danin says:

I wonder if they are montaged because of money/budget issues?

• Andres says:

It’s more time management. If the Tuesday episodes were 2 hours instead of 1. Then there would be no montages.

• abz says:

What I’ve noticed is that since everything before the Live rounds is pre-recorded, they tend to mostly air the Blinds, Battles and Knockouts for the contestants that make it through the farthest. The majority of the contestants get only 2 out of the 3 aired except for the frontrunner cases like Alisan. For example, if someone didn’t make it past the battle rounds, they might not bother airing their blind audition and will only show the Battle round because they were facing someone who won and made it farther. You can easily figure out the outcomes on this show. They take all the surprise and fun out of it. The recap show is such a waste of air time. Does anyone actually watch it? If I want a rewatch, I’ll just check out the contestant on YouTube. I don’t need to waste 2 hours of my life watching something I just watched two weeks ago. Also, I am so sick of Carson. “WE’VE GOT A STEAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL!!” Like just SHUT THE HELL UP. Taking all the fun out of it. You can always predict when a steal will happen. Typically at the beginning of the episode or at the end or both. I hate his voice. And I hate the nonstop previews of what’s to come in 5 minutes.

• davmon says:

ABZ, you are dialed in! Yeah, Carson IS wearing thin. I am so done with him ALWAYS yelling over the applause during transitions. Sure, it is to save time. And to keep the illusion of momentum. But it is BEYOND annoying!

• Andres says:

I am basing it off blinds and battles. Not just the battles alone.

• davmon says:

IMO, Pharrell has 5 strong singers (Malik, Hannah, Moushumi, Shalyah, Emily) as does Xtina (Bryan, Tamar, Joe, Maya, Alisan), then Adam has only 3 (Ryan, Owen, Laith)—after losing Mike, while Blake may have none unless he steals one or two—or a couple materialize out of his strongest 5 (Brittany, Lacy, Peyton, Mary, Adam) with more time. Probably coach Adam has the overall #1 in Ryan Quinn, with his resonating radio-ready sound—so long as said coach does no harm. Meantime, Bryan & Malik & Brittany et al will get more coaching and experience—and someone may catch Ryan in the voting, before its over.

8. davmon says:

Trey opened like a young David Crosby, but got lost when going high; Brittany stayed in a sweet pocket. Was there any question? Especially Blake. He could not resist her smile and dimples; besides she was darn good…. Trey was saved? Was he really better than Joe or Matt, Xtina–or just cuter?

9. Jents says:

Much as I love The Voice, I will be boycotting The Knockout rounds that include that stupid little talentless twit Miley Cyrus. I would hate for NBC to think that I care what she has to say about anything, let alone about people who bring talent and self-respect to the stage. Anyone else on board to boycott next week’s episode?? Otherwise, they might keep bringing her back, or worse, give her one of the chairs!! Please, let’s send a message to NBC that this no-talent whack job has no place on this show!

• Andres says:

You don’t have to watch the episodes but you can watch the highlights on youtube. The artist deserve a least 1 view

• Timmah says:

Her music is a mixed bag for me. Some of it I can’t stand, and some of it I like. Regardless of that though, she clearly knows what it takes to succeed in the business and will likely have some helpful advice to pass along.

• Jenna says:

Even if you’re not a fan of her or her music, I think it’s pretty undeniable to me at least that Miley has a great voice….and most certainly better than Rihanna from last year or Gwen who they let coach people.

She also has a ton of experience performing, and you can’t say she lacks confidence, which is something a lot of the contestants need help with.

I think she’s going to be a phenomenal mentor.

• A.R. Vega says:

Agreed. I love me some Miley!

• The Beach says:

I agree. I think she could be a pretty good coach.

• Not hardly says:

Cyrus had over 35 different producers on her last album to crank out just over 50 minutes of music. That’s not indictitive of someone who has a musical point of view of her own. She’s just a puppet, an disingenuous amalgamation of bits and pieces of other people’s talents. Unless the contestants want to learn how to tweak, shove their tounge out or spew oh so calculated for attention drivel, there’s really not much else she has to offer

• Jenna says:

Lots of people have many producers, like I said before helllooo Rihanna who they had last season, and at least Miley can sing. And she’s interesting and takes risks (Miley Cyrus and her Dead Pets).

I don’t get why anyone cares if she twerks or sticks her tongue out…she has a stage persona she embraces. Madonna did it, Britney did it, everyone adopts a character on stage to a certain extent. I guess I’ll never understand people’s visceral hatred of her, if I didn’t like her I just wouldn’t pay attention to her. That’s how I feel about Taylor Swift….I can’t stand anything she does and don’t see the talent, but apparently other people do so I just recognize its not my cup of tea.

10. MamaLis says:

I like Pharrell as an artist but I seriously hope contestants take note and NEVER pick him as a coach again!! It is maddening to watch him pick the lesser contestant every. freaking. time. At first the theory was: the stronger person would catch a save. But that doesn’t work every time and frankly I think it annoys his fellow coaches. He’s done it SO often – almost 100% of the time – that I almost think he’s got some sort of “who NEEDS me more” mentality going on. Except that really sucks for the better contestant. Like tonight. Caity was a nothing burger on that stage. It’s getting to the point where my son and I say something like, “Boy, XX really lost that battle.” Then, “uh-oh… you know what that means……” And sure enough – every dang time! Ridiculous.

• Timmah says:

To me, Caity has more interesting qualities to her voice than Joe, who is more run-of-the-mill. Maybe that’s what Pharrell saw.

• Don says:

I agree with Timmah. Neither did particularly well in that battle, but Caity does have a more interesting voice.

11. christopher bee says:

I´ve thought that Joe´s Honesty was far superior than Caity´s Interpretation. So all this ” we have only to work on your nerves” is just a gimmick coach bubble. I´m dissapointed Pharrell.

And these dreadfull montages and recaps are just way too much empty space.

• JM says:

I was really surprised, given all the airtime, help, interviews that Joe had vs. Caity who got virtually no attention, I thought for sure Joe was going to win.

• Mirabal says:

I really like Joe’s voice, but he was hard to watch. He always looked tense, or anxious, even when he wasn’t performing. He just didn’t looked like he was enjoying himself, which took the enjoyment out of watching him.

12. KTD says:

Trey rocked it! Tv version was cut-check out the iTunes to hear more of their talent!

13. Timmah says:

Was not really impressed with the last battle. I find Britanny’s vibrato very distracting and Trey was just a’ight for me. With the great song they were given I thought they could have done much better.