NCIS Wagner Returns

NCIS Boss Talks Heartbreaking DiNozzo Twist, Hart to Hart Reunion Wish

Does Very Special Agent Tony DiNozzo have a sister…?

CBS’ NCIS raises that question tonight at 8/7c, when Robert Wagner reprises his role as Anthony DiNozzo, Sr. — who this time around shows up not alone, but in the company of a woman who believes he is her father.

“He connects with this homeless woman (played by Big Love‘s Melora Walters) who takes him on this bit of a journey,” previews NCIS showrunner Gary Glasberg. And as Senior susses out the situation with his namesake’s help, “It gives us a bit more insight into this relationship with his own son.”

While Glasberg touts the episode as delivering “a very heart-wrenching storyline” for father and son, there is, as usual, “some humor and some fun that goes along with that. Robert J. did a really lovely job; he continues to blow us away at times.”

Speaking of Wagner’s eighth NCIS visit, TVLine asked Glasberg about the possibility of the veteran actor’s onetime TV wife, Stefanie Powers, Hart To Hart Remakeever guesting as part of a Hart to Hart reunion on TV’s most watched drama (a recurring question most recently put forth by TVLine reader Nicholas B.).

“I was a huge Hart to Hart fan and [Wagner] knows that, so yeah, we talk about it,” Glasberg shares with a chuckle. “It wouldn’t surprise me if at some point down the road, now that I’ve got a two-season pickup, it happens” — even though DiNozzo Jr. is set to be written off in the Season 13 finale, when series regular Michael Weatherly makes his final appearance. “Who knows. Stranger things could happen!” Glasberg shrugs. “But [Wagner] knows I’m a fan, that’s for sure.”

Want more scoop on NCIS, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Mr. Tran K says:

Would be great for a Hart to Hart reunion. We haven’t seen Stefanie Powers in years.

• Jon says:

Stefanie occasionally makes a comments on episodes of Hart to Hart reruns on cozitv.

• April says:

Stefanie Powers is still gorgeous,I was fortunate to see her in Jerry Mitchell’s ” Gotta Dance ” (Broadway in Chicago), wow she was fantastic along with Georgia Engel,fun musical. I’m trying to be optimistic but I think it’s just a tease…H2H type reunion; if they were to appear together on NCIS, the ratings would probably surpass the series finally of M.A.S.H.The fan base is that huge.

2. Kvivik says:

DiNozzo Sr. has found himself embroiled in capers in the past. doesn’t mean Jr. has to be there for him to get into another one. :-)
    In fact, I would kinda like to see RJ and MH interact for an entire episode. Gibbs would, perhaps, be able to get a father’s view of his sons life since he and his dad didn’t always see eye to eye.

3. rocky-o says:

Bring Back Jennifer!!!…

4. Sharon says:

Would love to see Stephanie Powers! We’re still sad that Tony will not be back. If he must go, let him reunite with Ziva. Please

5. James Smith says:

I still wish they would find a way to reunite David McCallum with his one-time “Man from UNCLE” co-star, Robert Vaughn. They teased us once when Kate asked Gibbs who Ducky looked like in his younger days and Gibbs responded, “Ilya Kuryakin”, the character played by David McCallum opposite Rober Vaughn’s Napoleon Solo character.

• Gemini says:

David McCallum has said in the past that he would not work with Robert Vaughn again. No reason was given for that statement.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Pretty sure I had Gary address that topic as well in recent years. I forget.

• suzi says:

You did, 1/10/14.
        “Will Robert Vaughn ever make a guest appearance on NCIS, paired up with David McCullum? I’d love to see a Man from U.N.C.L.E. reunion. –Bill
        As would many readers of/writers to my column. I asked show boss Gary Glabserg about such a reunion, and he said that while the idea has “never been formally presented,” it has “always been something that’s in the ether, but then never materializes. But it’s something worth talking about, that’s for sure.” “

• Gay Ludington says:

If I remember correctly, in an early episode Ducky mentioned to someone that “my mother says that I remind her of someone called Ilya Kuryakin. . . ” Those of us of a certain age who were “Man From U.N.C.L.E.” addicts just about died laughing. . . ;-D Anyone know if that was David ad-libbing? Nice touch.

6. Bruce says:

Hart to Hart! I watch reruns everyday. A Hart to Hart reunion would have millions of viewers.

• Ben Masters says:

I see it from its DVD releases, and those DVD releases are some of the best I’ve ever gotten, just as Hart to Hart is one of the best television series I have ever seen.

7. Bob says:

On an “off to the side” note it would also be a Man from U.N.C.L.E. reunion as Stephanie Powers was The Girl From U.N.C.L.E.

8. Andrew Hass says:

Even though Tony is leaving it doesn’t mean we won’t continue to see his father from time to time.That way Anthony Sr. can keep us informed about Tony and the same time get involved in cases.

9. Barbara Adams says:

Please do all you can to keep Micheal to stay on, it just won’t be the same without him.

10. Peggie Arnold says:

Please, don’t get all crazy now! Sounds like you are about to make my favorite program a stupid comedy or something. Just let DiNozzio bow out with some decency and respect!!!

11. doonesb says:

I guess it would be too much to ask that di nauseous sr. would pass away, maybe an “accidental” drowning…!!!!

12. Patricia Lee says:

I keep waiting for a guest appearance by Pam Dawber. Why not write her in as the future-Mrs.-Gibbs-Number-Five. But I am glad to hear that DiNozzo Sr. will be back even if Jr. isn’t there.

13. John NYC says:

I like the actor but have never warmed up to the character. At all. Far too much grifter for my comfort.

14. Mr. Smith says:

No offense (whenever someone says that, there’s offense to be taken… ever notice that?), but there are enough viewers who wish to see Ziva return for Tony’s last hurrah. Forget Stefanie Powers and get the actress who played Ziva back at all costs. Give the viewers what they want. Thanks.

• Jerri says:

There’s also enough viewers who have moved past the fact that Côte left the show. Plenty of viewers watch the show and don’t demand for Ziva to be back.

• John NYC says:

The actor leaving is Michael, it’s he who should be in the spotlight: alone. Cote and Ziva had their send off, this is Tony/Michael’s celebration.

15. Anne Kelley says:

I sure hope Michael knows what he’s doing and doesn’t end up MIA like the actress who played Ziva.

16. DarlyCarly says:

Powers and RJ – 2 of my favorites, would be fun. RJ is a perfect father type as the very elegant dad to MW. Makes me wonder if MW ever watched RJ in another favorite – It Takes a Thief! Loved that show – where are those reruns? Netflix, Hulu, anybody?

17. Chuck says:

I hope they kickstart his farewell arc soon, he deserves to have a strong exit storyline.

18. The actress is eight years older than MW, so this is weird.

19. I would like to see them get Robert Vaughan to do an episode and have a “Man from U.N.C.L.E. reunion between him and David McCallum

20. Carol says:

Love the show and all the characters. Hate so many have left. The show has inspired my granddaughter to go for CSI…Thank You for the great job all you have done.

21. Ms. A says:

Would love, like most out there, to have a Hart to Hart reunion show in addition to a guest appearance on NCIS. Miss the Harts!!!

22. Greg Beardslee says:

Tonight’s show astounded me. I was brought to tears by the script and Robert Wagners performance. The weakness of humanity, the ability of us to adapt to dementia, was so moving. A great show! Thank you.

• katrider says:

Me too i cried. I love this show .rj is still a fine actor,as in everyone on this show.i will miss michael. And anthony

23. Lemonlime623 says:

So as a longtime viewer and DiNozzo fan, I’m oh-so-aware of the Weatherly/Wagner backstory. But does anyone else still get a thrill to just see them together on screen?? I still think the resemblance is seriously uncanny, and the fact that we saw, through Weatherly, such an intimate and private chapter in Wagner’s life and later having their synchronicity be translated so successfully as fictional father & son is undescribably awesome….

No? Just me? Alrighty.

• Gay Ludington says:

Nope, not just you. There are a lot of us out here who appreciate the development of this father-son relationship beyond the comedic. And you are right: the resemblance is jaw-dropping.

24. Sheila says:

This was an amazing NCIS. Love love loved it.

25. Margy Phelps says:

I really do not ant to see Tony go. I have yet to get over Ziva leaving!

26. This was a great episode. I actually cried . . .

27. HBJerseyGirl says:

Was it a bread crumb? Why was Tony practicing Chinese on his laptop?

28. Bill says:

It would be so awesome if we found out DiNozzo’s dad was finally settling down and getting remarried – to Stefanie Powers!

29. Good episode, especially at the end. Senior can still be super smooth when he needs to be. And that was the best time to be.

30. MaxiP says:

Did anyone else catch the part where Tony was learning Chinese? I bet he’s getting a team in China. That’s where he started the season after Gibbs was shot.

31. Gwen Stigall says:

What is Michael Weatherly going to do when he leaves NCIS?

32. purerod says:

I also thought it would make a good Hart to Hart movie if they adopted the wee boy Max they helped in the last movie and when he is grown he joins their adventures

33. purerod says:

I always thought it would make a good Hart to Hart Movie if they adopted the wee boy Max who they helped in the last film episode. And when he grew up he helped them in their adventures

34. Caroline G says:

David McCallum was in an episode of Hart to Hart once, I don’t remember what season though.

35. Kathy Templetom says:

You get rid of Tony you might as well end the shoe in 3013!

36. I hadn’t seen the “Hart to Hart” comments, but I was thinking that we need to know what Tony is going to do – with or without Ziva (after all he has dated other women since Ziva left, and who knows what she has been doing meanwhile?) so another show after the “Hart to Hart” style would be light and fun after N.C.I.S. and Michael Weatherly has shown he can do that kind of comedy. Please don’t let him disappear into the sunset!Sy

37. It must be a case of great minds thinking alike! Before I read any of the other comments, I had been thinking that Michael Weatherly should not disappear after leaving N.C.I.S. but should be given a show like “Hart to Hart” starring Robert Wagner who starred in that show, and as Tony’s father is still very appealing, and he and Tony made a great ‘father and son’ on N.C.I.S. I think Michael has the same type of appeal and sense of humor and a “Hart to Hart” type show would be just right for him, although I don’t think ‘Ziva’ would be the appropriate partner, plus the fact that Tony dated several ladies after Ziva left, nor do I think Cote de Pablo would be the right actress for a “Hart to Hart” type show.

38. Cynthia Howell says:

Really would love to see a Hart to Hart reunion. I love NCIS. Would be awesome.