Exclusive
Gilmore Girls Casts Mae Whitman

Gilmore Girls: Mae Whitman to Make Cameo in Netflix Revival

Two of Lauren Graham’s beloved TV worlds are colliding.

Self-proclaimed Gilmore Girls fangirl Mae Whitman — who played Graham’s TV daughter on Parenthood for six seasons — is set to make a cameo in Netflix’s four-part revival, I have learned exclusively. I’ve been sworn to secrecy about the specifics of Whitman’s role, but here’s what I can tell you: She shares a really fun (albeit small) moment with Graham that will delight Parenthood fans.

Whitman’s social media accounts bear witness to her high enthusiasm for Netflix’s Gilmore Girls continuation. When news of the revival was made official back in January, she celebrated by posting an old — and heavily doctored — cast photo on Twitter (see below).

Whitman just wrapped a well-received run in The Mystery of Love & Sex at L.A.’s Mark Taper Forum.

PHOTOS Gilmore Girls Revival: Photos From the Set

Series creator Amy Sherman-Palladino and exec producer Daniel Palladino (AKA Team Palladino) are writing and directing all four 90-minute episodes/mini-movies. As TVLine exclusively revealed, each chapter will represent a different season over the course of one calendar year (as such, the episodes will be titled “Winter,” Spring,” Summer” and “Fall”). The revival will be set in the present day, or roughly eight years after the series ended.

Production on the tentatively-titled Gilmore Girls: Seasons is currently underway in Los Angeles.

1. Tom says:

YES. This is what I prayed for. I want her to play the receptionist at the Dragonfly. Everything is happening!!!!

2. Jennifer says:

Any news when this will be hitting Netflix? Dates. I need dates!!! (I know, we ALL do)

3. Jennifer says:

OK … I’ve got to know … unless it’s at a funeral scene / reception, how is Headmaster Charleston being woven into this tale? I believe the Gilmores were friends with the Charlestons, so that’s the only thing i can think of …

Oh!! but i love the way every time i check the Gilmore Girls Revival Cast gallery, there are new names (SOPHIE!!!)

4. Andrew Hass says:

I think this is good news and maybe she’s going to be playing a friend of Rory’s

5. I love this! Every day I get more excited.

6. Stephanie says:

I love them together!

I wish they would post an update about the movie The Royal We shes working on with Lauren Graham!

7. I’m so over the revival at this point. They are just going to bring EVERYONE back. Everyone anyone from the cast ever worked with. I thought this was going to focus on the main characters, instead AMP is just continuing the mess she made in Season 6. Let’s just hope she’s gonna give Kelly Bishop some good lines. She’s the star of the show.

• K. says:

If you go back and rewatch Gilmore – every season of the show had random people the cast would bump into. The episodes were always FILLED with tons and tons of people – inn customers, people at the diner, people in the town hall, new troubadours, people visiting for the town events and festivals, etc etc.. It seems like they’re overcrowding because the show’s casting has never gotten this much press before. But considering Mae could play someone checking into the Dragonfly in a 60 second scene, Sutton could play someone who took over Ms. Patty’s dance and as Lorelai’s walking by she’s telling a story to the dance kids, etc.. it really is just like any other episode. It wouldn’t be Stars Hollow without them bumping into a ton of characters.

• Bwhit says:

How are you going to have the town of Stars Hollow without its residents? I’m guessing Mae is going to be in it for a very short scene but she loves this show and I’m guessing it will only add to the episode. I enjoy any casting news because at least we are getting a revival to cast!

8. c-mo says:

Yay! I love these meta casting choices, they’re so juicy!

9. So thrilled to have them back. Can’t wait to watch. My favorite show of all time. Your #1 fan always!

10. Joey Padron says:

Great news she’ll be in mini series in a cameo role! Hope she gets to work with Lauren again!

11. Her? says:

It’s as egg as the nose on plain’s face.

12. Ben says:

Maybe she’s one of Emily & Rory’s friends from the DAR!

13. faulknerjer says:

I just hope they don’t try to do too much and stuff a mere four episodes with nonsense. It’s almost like ASP wants to please everyone she possibly can, which is never a good idea. Lorelai, Emily and Rory should be the primarily focus and then to a lesser degree Paris and Lane. I fear over half of this revival will be comprised of cute cameos, town quirkiness and boyfriend melodrama. I hope I’m wrong.

14. Simone says:

That’s awesome! :D

15. GGFan54 says:

Judging from the picture I am guessing it is some weird dream/flashback scene where she remembers taking Rory to Yale, but in the dream the person isn’t Rory, it’s this Mae Whitman chick. And in that scene there will be an inside joke about this chick being her daughter on another show. Which makes me think it’s going to be just as cheesy as Fuller House, which will totally ruin GG for me forever if it is.

• Jennifer says:

Isn’t the picture above from Parenthood? And isn’t it just TPTB showing Lauren and Mae together?

• K. says:

Yes, it’s from the second to last episode of Parenthood. Definitely don’t think it’ll be a dream sequence. My guess is someone at the Dragonfly or an exes girlfriend. I would laugh hysterically if they put her with Kirk!

16. Ash says:

I liked Parenthood, but I see no reason for her to cameo on Gilmore Girls! In Gilmore Girls, Lorelai is only the mother to Rory!! :O