Agents of SHIELD Spoilers

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Pair Preview Bobbi/Lance's Russian Adventure, Their Weaknesses, 'Tearjerker' Twist

Early into tonight’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (ABC, 9/8c), it is revealed that Bobbi Morse and Lance Hunter have never been on a proper vacation — and suffice to say, what they endure after stowing away on Gideon Malick’s jet is anything but.

From go, the “HuntingBird”-centric episode toggles back and forth between “the past, the present… all over the place,” shares Nick Blood, who plays Lance. As such, Adrianne Palicki says the intense hour “definitely has a different feel” versus typical S.H.I.E.L.D. fare.

Upon arriving at Malick’s destination, where Russian delegate Anton Petrov plans to lay out his plan for an Inhuman “sanctuary,” Bobbi and Lance get ensnared in an assassination plot. Separated and intently interrogated, they each do their best to cover their own tracks while doing what’s possible to protect the other from retribution.

Because of their longtime, personal relationship, “They strengthen each other but they’re also each other’s weaknesses,” Palicki notes. “As a soldier, you shouldn’t go into battle with any kind of leverage — but for Bobbi, Lance is leverage.”

Especially since, as Blood recently shared on the ABC series’ set, Lance’s loyalty has always been more to Bobbi than S.H.I.E.L.D. as a whole, “I actually don’t think he would be there if it wasn’t for Bobbi. After she got hurt, even more so,” says Palicki. “It’s that ‘protection’ thing.”

That said, this is Lance and Bobbi we’re talking about, so even during their worst of their ordeal, they can be counted onMARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. to crack wise with their captors. (For one, expect to learn way more about mushroom-based cuisine than you ever anticipated.) “The big thing you see is how strong they are and determined they are as people,” says Blood. “But you also see how Hunter, even in the most desperate situations, tries to make things light.”

Those quippier moments keep things fresh for the actors, who are poised to parlay that fun dynamic into Marvel’s Most Wanted, a pilot currently under consideration for ABC’s 2016-17 TV season.

“The most fun is playing off their different approaches to things,” Blood raves. “Bobbi is the one person who can actually push Hunter’s buttons.”

“And she likes to push his buttons!” adds Palicki with a laugh.

All told, Blood says that Lance and Bobbi’s mission — to gain additional intel on Malick’s grander plan — is “pretty successful,” though not without its setbacks.

As Palicki warns, “There’s a big surprise at the end of the episode. A big tearjerker, that’s for sure.”

Want more scoop on S.H.I.E.L.D., or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Brigid says:

It seems I’m the only one, but I do like these 2 together. I love their chemistry, they are funny and always make SHIELD a little less grim. Looking forward to tonight’s episode!!

• Bwhit says:

You’re not the only one! I like them a lot, I just want them to stay on SHIELD and not spin off. They have great chemistry and I enjoy when they come on screen plus I love when they work with Fitz and Simmons (when Hunter made that comment to Fitz when he saw the picture of Will earlier this season, I thought it was hilarious). I’m excited for tonight for sure :)

• Robert Dassler says:

Blame ABC for wanting yet another spy show.

• Brigid says:

Oh I agree they should stay on SHIELD. Hunter cracks me up!!!

• acurat says:

Adrianne Palicki is that good of an actress. She has chemistry with a lot of people if you have seen her in past shows. Even in the short lived “About a Boy” on ABC she demonstrated that same ability with the lead on that show. I guess that is why she is a romantic lead in some many of her previous roles…

• Ben says:

I really like them too. I’m sad SHIELD will be losing them.

2. Louise says:

look i love bobbi but it’s really time for them to leave. they take up screentime that should be focused on daisy and the secret warriors who’ve been sidelined way too much this season. and hunter is dead weight anyway all he does is drag down bobbi.

• Nick Blood’s character is the only one that adds even a tad amount of humor to the show, which was definitely a center piece of Joss Whedon’s success on the Buffy series. Daisy is so dire, and even likable characters like May and Fitz/Simmons lack humor for the most part. Keep them on this show, and renew Agent Carter.

• Ben says:

Last week I was hearing how everyone was annoyed at how much screen time the Secret Warriors takes up. Once again, peoples differing views about what is taking up/not getting enough screen time makes me feel things are well balanced.

3. lariet50 says:

Oh ugh. Why are they straying so far from the original characters on this show? I almost don’t even want to watch it anymore.

4. Jerri says:

Hmm. Big surprise at the end… Bobbi is pregnant? Or she can’t have kids and they want kids?

• Bwhit says:

I was thinking, if it is a good surprise, they get remarried or he asks her to marry him again. If it is a bad one, he leaves temporarily because he doesn’t want to deal with SHIELD anymore. I’m hoping for the first.

5. Lore says:

I like the, but i dont want an spinoff, they both cant pull it off, they dont have much to offer like Agent Carter

6. Breezy says:

I didn’t care for Hunter and Bobbi at first, but now I really like them. Their chemistry is great and I love the little comebacks they come up with. I do wish they would just stay on SHIELD though I don’t think I would be interested in a whole show based on just them. I think they are great in an ensemble cast, but alone I think would be just too much.
    Plus I love Agent Carter and their new show going forward would probably mean that Carter would get axed.

7. JCPrime1 says:

I love Bobbi and Hunter. Looking forward to this episode and apart of me hopes Most Wanted does happen.