Quantico Season 1 Episode 14 Recap

Quantico Recap: No Country for Uncontrolled Men

Compartmentalizing, thy name is Alex Parrish.

The Quantico FBI agent who ended last week’s episode screaming and crying so hard Ryan thought she might wanna spend a little time in a psych ward has — apparently — bounced back from watching her colleague and former classmate Natalie get blown up in a fiery conflagration. And with her stuff seemingly together, Alex spends most of this week’s hour efficiently reeling one friend back in at the same time she pushes another one away.

Mad coping skillz or seriously disturbing character insight? If the show keeps its promise and reveals the terrorist by the season finale, I suppose we’ll find out eventually.

Elsewhere, Nimah learns what Raina is up to and we get a very intriguing (though even more confusing) window into Caleb’s master plan. Read on for the highlights of “Answer.”

IN WHICH ALEX WORKS A SOURCE | During a tactical driving lesson at Quantico, Alex tells Drew that she suspects Liam was involved in Alicia’s death, and she thinks she can get the older man to talk to her about it. Drew initially turns her down harshly, but then acquiesces because he wants “closure.” Meanwhile, I want the epic braid Alex sports for much of the Quantico scenes in this episode; somewhere in Arendelle, Elsa’s like, “Damn girl.”

After a classroom lesson that involves suspect interviews — and Alex uttering the ironic line, “The FBI doesn’t frame people” — Trainee Parrish visits Liam’s office and ever-so-casually turns the conversation toward the failed Chicago raid he and Ryan led. The quick version: The FBI sold a specific type of gun to a militia group in order to gain access, but it all went bad and they had to storm the group’s stronghold unprepared. The group and the guns were gone, he tells Alex, but no one died — and rookie agent Ryan took the blame because Liam would’ve been in much bigger trouble if it were pinned on him.

DREW GUNS FOR LIAM | Alex happily relates all of this to Drew when they’re in class later; she says Liam couldn’t have been involved in Alicia’s shooting, because his op didn’t have a body count. But when Drew hears the type of gun the older agent sold to the militia, he goes cold and harsh with Alex. As we learn when Drew and Liam get into it in front of the entire class, Alicia was killed by that exact type of weapon (a Panther AR15 rifle) during an armed robbery on Chicago’s L train. And she was pregnant, and she was his fiancée.

The argument continues in O’Connor’s office, but Liam refuses to accept blame for Drew’s loss. In fact, he doubles down: He calls Drew a “crusader” whose actions suing the NFL and now causing trouble within FBI agent training prove he’s a loose cannon who’s not fit for the bureau. “You are done at Quantico,” Liam spits. And while I know I should react to that, I’m too distracted by another related development: When Alex confronts Liam about Drew, we get confirmation that Parrish and O’Connor slept together on New Year’s. By the way, Miranda knows and asks for his resignation. “I’m not protecting you this time,” she warns him.

RELATED Of Kings and Prophets Cancelled at ABC

IN BAD COMPANY | After a lot more skulking about on Raina’s part, Nimah tails her sister and realizes she’s spending time with a very sketchy/possibly terrorist group. Nimah even dons a hijab and pretends to be Raina to get inside the group’s house… where she finds a stocked arsenal and accidentally runs into a member as he’s arriving and she’s leaving. She gets out safely by pretending to be her sister; too bad Raina texts the man a moment later, apologizing for not being able to show up.

Back at Quantico, the truth comes out: Raina is working undercover, OK’d by Miranda, to infiltrate the group that kidnapped Charlie. But Nimah still doesn’t believe her sister is telling her everything.

TRIPLE-CROSSED? | After overhearing a call between “Mark Raymond” and the cult to whom he’s transferring $5 million, Will confronts his roommate, who puts him in a chokehold and vows, “You will not mess this up for me.” I give Mr. Robot credit, then, when he follows Caleb to a diner and gets photographic evidence of Shelby’s ex meeting with — and exchanging an envelope with — her faux half-sister Samar/Haifa. (P.S. Samar/Haifa wired him the money he’s giving to the cult. The plot, it thickens, eh?)

SIMON SAYS | Alex spends the present-day portion of the episode in a remote part of Vermont, where Simon has holed up and shunned humanity after losing his job(s). If you thought he was weird before, the months since the bombing have given him too much time to ruminate on his part in the deaths of so many people. Basically, he feels so guilty that he contemplates suicide every morning and then berates himself for not being able to go through with it.

Alex ostensibly is visiting to deliver his medal for pulling victims out of the wreckage of the second bombing, but she’s really there to enlist his help again. They go hunting (um, OK?), and he’s so angry at her for telling him to take his hand off the detonator in the hotel room, at one point he aims his rifle at her.

When Ryan and Nimah trace Alex’s cell and drive SEVERAL HOURS to check on her (I’m just saying, a call first wouldn’t have hurt anyone), she meets them in front of the house, solo, and announces that Simon is “not the man we knew.” But that appears to be a smokescreen: Back in New York that night, after a sweet phone call with Ryan, Alex answers a knock at her door and it’s Simon, who has torched his house (!) and says, “You can count on me, Alex, no matter what.” He also informs her he’s got a plan to handle the terrorist manipulating her, and when the baddie calls, Simon plugs some doohickie into her phone and confidently tells her to answer.

Now it’s your turn. What do you think about the fact that Natalie took an emergency leave just before she died? What did you think of the episode on the whole? Sound off in the comments!

1. Mandy says:

I am loving all these twists and turns it keeps you in the edge f your seat and really makes you realize things are not what they seem to be. I am so glad Alex and Simon are working together because they are going through the same thing, he can understand her in a way the others cannot right now.

Caleb is really a question mark right now. I used to think he was cleared but now you are back to questioning did he do it ? Hoping it was not him but with Quantico you never know

2. Bryan says:

I think that the terrorist pretended to be Natalie and sent the LOA. This episode kinda feels awkward. Drew taking his shirt off in the hallway? Just so ALex can see the Alicia tattoo. Oh well, this show has never been good in subtlety. The Quantico lesson was also boring. The actors were portraying the murderers on the loose, so what if the trainees asks a question that wasnt in the script they were given. WIll the actors wing it and just answer whatever they want?

3. We also got confirmation that Caleb’s not dead in the present timeline, so that’s something. And I agree with Bryan, I think the terrorist sent in the leave request for Natalie so that no one would wonder what happened to her, I don’t think she sent it in right before getting killed.

• Natalie says:

I don’t think she is dead…way too convenient…and we didn’t actually see her there when it exploded…remember…Alex had walked away….could be natalie is involved in some way………

4. Heather says:

I didn’t think Nat really took a leave I thought the terrorists were covering up that they killed her so if Alex said anything people would have reason to doubt her and think its part of her paranoia

5. Kim says:

I’ve always felt like Simon could be trusted even back when Ryan was calling him creepy idk why. I missed Simon in last weeks episode so happy he’s back in the storyline

6. Singing_gal says:

While this was a decent episode, I was very distracted by the diploma on the wall of Liam’s office, the one from the “universisty” of Kentucky! Oops! :)

• Just Me says:

i don’t think it was an Oops. Josh Hopkins was born in Lexington, Kentucky and is an avid University of Kentucky sports fan. I noticed the diploma, too, and thought it was a shout out to UK. His father was a US Congressman from Kentucky.

7. Dave says:

This show man. Such a downward spiral since what was a great pilot.

• NattyfromOz says:

AGREE! Have given this the flick! Buh bye annoying Alex and confused, contrived and convoluted plots. #lifestooshortforcraptv

• Dude says:

I gave up for good last week when Alex watched her friend get blown up and just ran away, then told no one and opted not to tell Ryan that there was a terrorist stationed outside his room that could literally kill him at any time, instead deciding to literally run away from her problems. So many bad/stupid choices from someone who’s supposed to be a brilliant FBI agent.

• wrstlgirl says:

No kidding, I bailed about half way through last night. Not going back.

• Cal says:

Yep. The show was always crazy sauce, but in a good way. Sadly it’s declined into an unfun, convoluted mess. And I absolutely despise the Alex/Liam pairing, that was the final straw for me.

8. Shonda says:

The second half of this season is contradicting the first half. The writers aren’t keeping track of their own plot points.

9. Bigdede says:

I don’t care about the new recruits when I barely know the regulars. Why did they just drop the Raina/Simon romance story. That was so cute. Was I supposed to care about Alicia when I didn’t even know the recruit? What happened to this show?

• Cal says:

I agree! I loved Raina/Simon (so preferable to gross Alex/Liam and the mess that they made with Shelby and Caleb) but the showrunner has hinted that Raina won’t be around much longer :( Big mistake – Raina/ the twins are compelling!

10. Natalie most definitely did not take an LOA. That was the terrorist covering their tracks so her being missing all of a sudden wouldn’t raise any red flags.

11. Cheryl says:

I think Natalie is the terrorist. Alex didn’t witness the explosion as she was outside. Natalie could have staged it.

12. Alichat says:

Caleb didn’t put Mr Robot in a choke hold. He just got up in his face and ordered him not to mess this up for him. His hands were in his pockets the whole time. Also, based upon Alex’s comment, we find out that Caleb is alive in the present…..or at least everyone believes he is alive. And Raina is back in Michigan, which explains why we haven’t seen her after the second bombing. Also, has Liam slept with a recruit before Alex? Miranda’s “I’m not protecting you THIS TIME” makes me think so. And speaking of Alex, she has devolved into the weakest agent. There is a terrorist stalking her. He/she supposedly drugged her and Natalie, strapped a bomb to Natalie, and then supposedly blew her up. He/she then follows Alex and her hysterics to Ryan’s, takes a photo of her through Ryan’s window proving that someone is following her closely. And she drives up to nowhere to find Simon, sits in the ramshackle hut he lives in by the large windows, and then trots out into the open so the terrorist can hear their conversation and perhaps shoot one of them. Simon shows up at her apartment, and we see that all her curtains are open, she’s just sitting in her messy house, and when she sees it’s Simon, she makes no effort to close the blinds, hide him from the windows, turn out the lights…..something. How does she know the terrorist isn’t watching her through the windows as he/she did at Ryan’s? Has she swept her apartment for bugs? Checked her phone for tracking and listening devices?

13. Llli says:

This show is getting way too confusing for me. Although this episode is called answer all I’m left with is questions.

14. Sarah says:

This show’s a hot mess now. I basically only watch for Caleb, Simon and Priyanka’s crazy gorgeous hair. Also am I supposed to like Iris? She’s the worst.

15. Alex says:

Can ABC un-renew it?

16. Liz says:

I don’t think Nat’s actually dead. Alex didn’t go to check, just assumed.

I also think the terrorist is Drew & that he’s using Alex to get at both Ryan & Liam for their involvement in Alicia’s death.

17. Andy Howe says:

The way I understood the timeline: Natalie was in the explosion the night before. She texted the next morning that she was taking a leave of absence. If she is dead, then it was probably the terrorists covering up. Alex said told Simon that the terrorists had cleaned up the explosion. I think that is the story that the show wants us to believe. My view: Natalie is still alive; the explosion was a ruse; Natalie is the terrorist.

18. Alan says:

Liam slept with Liam?! When did that happen? All I remember was Liam getting Alex out of the party on New Year’s Eve…

19. Janice Banks says:

I think the show would be better if Alex could act