Chicago PD Spoilers

Chicago P.D.'s Sophia Bush Talks Axed 'Linstead' Episode: 'It Didn't Work'

It was the “Linstead” sigh heard ’round the Interwebs: Despite much enthusiasm from Chicago P.D. creatives and fans, alike, the show’s planned Lindsay/Halstead road-trip hour stalled out of the gate. And now we’re learning why.

Originally slated to air as this season’s 15th episode, the change-of-pace installment was set to sequester the couple in a car as they journey to Green Bay, Wis., for a case. In addition to featuring some serious one-on-one time between the detectives, the outing was also supposed to shed light on both Lindsay and Halstead’s backstories, star Jesse Lee Sofer previously previewed.

“It’s certainly not something we’re going to show this season,” star Sophia Bush told TVLine on Saturday ahead of PaleyFest’s salute to Dick Wolf. “I know that [executive producers/writers] Derek [Haas] and Michael [Brandt] were very excited about it. They [even] wrote a script.”

However, the tone of the episode didn’t jibe with the content of the episode leading into it, which found Lindsay confronting murderous Yates. “It didn’t feel appropriate to have that happen on the heels of it,” Bush explains. “Our show is very often dealing with sensitive material, especially with where we are at the end of our third season. It didn’t work energetically or in a linear way to do a show that felt a little bit like a departure and had so much comedy in it.”

While Bush “would have loved” to take on the atypical installment as an actor, she notes, “We serve the show, first and foremost, before ourselves or anything else.”

That said, fans of “Linstead” can still expect some intimate moments, all while the couple continues to maintain their professionalism in the workplace.

“We try to figure out ways to remind the audience that these characters are in a relationship, but also not have it overshadow the story,” Bush explains. “At the end of the day, they’re two professional people who strap on a gun and a bulletproof vest every day [so] they’re not being incredibly lovey-dovey in the office.

“But we’re also conscious of the fact that people want more moments than they’ve had,” the actress continues, “and I know that we’re trying to give the audience a little bit more of what they want in that respect.”

Chicago P.D. returns with new episodes on Wednesday, March 23 at 10/9c.

1. Bwhit says:

I’m obviously only going off of what is described here, but to me that episode would have been the perfect one to follow the Yates episode. It would have dove into their relationship more and we could have learned more about Jay’s time in the military which they keep dancing around. It’s just my opinion but I think it would have worked perfectly.

• Dude says:

I think they’re saying the issue was tone not the episode’s content. It didn’t work because it was a light comedic episode directly after a very heavy episode and then tone change was jarring is what it sounds like the problem was. I think the episode being scrapped for the Chicago Justice pilot makes the most sense however. When it comes to the layout of the season, a bottle episode like this one would be the first to go if re-arrangements had to be made.

• Bwhit says:

As a fan, the tone of this potential episode would have been a good change of pace given what just happened with Yates, for me at least. I just think that after the Yates episode with Erin saying she doesn’t know if she’s okay, a stand alone episode with Jay and Erin would have been perfect. I don’t think it would have been entirely comedic based on how it was presented on other forums (Twitter Q&As with the EP). That’s just me though, I’m not a show runner and by no means know what it takes to pull something like that off. On the spin-off sentiment, I am mixed on Chicago Justice because it doesn’t fit in the first responder/medical premise that these shows are. So if it was scrapped for a backdoor pilot, I see fans who aren’t interested in Justice but invested in Erin/Jay being frustrated. Plus, if Justice is debuting this fall like Med was, the characters are not set in stone given the history of the spin offs. Med and PD had a few characters that were in the backdoor pilot that didn’t actually end up in the series. In my opinion, fans have a short memory of those newly introduced characters, but not with established characters with a strong fanbase who would have loved a stand alone ep featuring the two characters opening up to each other like we haven’t seen.

2. Chicago Dan says:

There’s more to this. Perhaps the finished script was terrible. I don’t buy the sequencing issue at all. Clearly that was determined months earlier when they were outlining the season. It also may have been scrapped in favor of the planted pilot episode for Chicago Justice. Leaving the remaining planned episodes in tact.

3. Shonda says:

This is the kind of writing I wish Quantico had, both in terms of the overall show and the pairing.

4. Michelle says:

That doesn’t make much sense as the cases and stories rarely follow through to the next episode. I’m betting that it was considered a “filler” episode so it was easy to take out and replace with an episode to introduce Chicago Justice. It’s too bad because I was looking forward to getting the backstories on both Jay and Erin (as promised by Derek Haas in his weekly Q & As). He said we “might” get it next season but I won’t hold my breath on the road trip but nice to hear that they are trying to give us some of the personal relationship that’s been lacking since they went public. Frankly, I like the balance they had mid season 2 so we know it’s possible.

5. Jen says:

It was interesting to hear the background on why this was shelved. I hope they’ll consider bringing it into season 4.

6. Jeffrey McGraw says:

Edit it into a stakeout scenario as they reminisce as to what happened during this road trip, then you can have drama and a breather between important scenes.

7. Candy woman says:

Good, these two do not deserve their own episode while characters like Antonio, al, Kevin and sometimes Jay are sidelined for Erin Lindsay.

8. Sarahj says:

I was really looking forward to this episode.

9. jane barton says:

In trying to keep the two lives separate we have been dissappoint ed as fans as there has been no real nice moments between the two for far too many episodes