Chicago Fire's Jesse Spencer on Casey's New Attraction, Future of 'Dawsey'

What’s good for Casey’s political career on Chicago Fire is very bad for his romance with Dawson.

The firefighter’s “new job that he’s taken on [in running for alderman] is really going to affect his relationship,” star Jesse Spencer told TVLine on Saturday, prior to PaleyFest’s salute to Dick Wolf.

Trouble begins to arise for the pair when Lauren Stamile (Grey’s Anatomy, Burn Notice) enters the picture as a political consultant who sparks “a connection” with Casey, Spencer previews. “They’re denying it. It’s not fully conscious, but there is an attraction there.”

That will no doubt not sit well with Casey’s girlfriend – or is it his fiancée? Asked if the couple will ever address their exact relationship status, Spencer replies, “They are ignoring it, and the more they ignore it, the worse it’s going to get. It’s going to flare up again.” (‘Shippers will be pleased to know the actor says “Dawsey” is at the very least cohabitating. “We just haven’t done any scenes in the apartment,” he explains.)

As for the whereabouts of Dawson’s engagement ring, Spencer is as in the dark as co-star Monica Raymund was when TVLine asked her about the MIA rock last fall.

“It’s sitting in a drawer somewhere?” the actor guesses with a laugh. “They don’t want to address it! She’s not going to wear it at work. Maybe she’ll pop it back out when things start getting rough – or she’ll give it back to me.”

Chicago Fire returns with new episodes on Tuesday, March 29 at 10/9c.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Yolo says:

I’ll be glad if they break up. She’s the one who pretty much forced his hand in running. She’s so bossy, my least favorite character across all three shows.

2. Cassie says:

I’m sure Dawsey fans will be in an uproar of this but personally I’m hoping this will turn out to be good for their relationship. I think this will finally make Casey and Dawson talk about their feelings and get back on track.

3. Nancy says:

This is ridiculous. Casey attracted to another random woman? Is he a teenager or is he in an adult relationship?

4. Tony Lang says:

Is it me or does Chicago Fire just keep rehashing the same storylines over and over again? Woops, Dawon & Casey are on the outs. Oh no, Someone wants to get rid of Boden and/or House 51. Hey look, Severide’s new squeeze has issues and is already gone! what? The candidate can’t stay unless he’s now a paramedic?

• Bill says:

So right. They have run out of ideas. I guess they think viewers immediately forget past storylines. Is the new candidate/paramedic supposed to be the reincarnation of Mills?

• No it’s not you, yes they keep using the same storylines over and over it’s lazy writing on there part or the writer’s are not that good. Agreed with everything you said, that’s why I stopped watching.

• Lisa says:

So true! They have no new ideas, and this season has been the worst. Don’t forget the repeating idea that women can’t be trusted and are basically lying, cheating b’s (Tara Little, Boden-accuser, and that chick who wanted to shut down 51). The actors are so good (based on their previous shows) – they deserve better.

5. Darky says:

I hope it will teach Dawson a lesson not to push Matt into something he is not willing to do.

6. Dominique says:

oh joy, more dawsey-centric storylines. i remember when this show had more characters with their own sl’s… not som uch these days.

7. Television says:

I actually stopped watching this show because of the political stuff and the drunk medic and the same repeat of stories about their personal lives that seemed more of a soap opera, like the building strip club side job, and focusing too much on the spin off shows, non of which I watch because they are the same old thing. The reason this show used to be so good was it was unique. About firefighters. Not politicians. It was about friendship, not drama. It was about heroes, not drunk medics who dont care.

8. Wordsmith says:

Poor Lauren Stamile. She famously was thrown into the middle of MerDer, and now Dawsey? Writers seem to want to make their fanbases hate her…

9. jill says:

The way viewers make up names like dawsey makes want to cringe. The show isnt days of our lives people

10. wrstlgirl says:

The second Dawson starts whining I hit the fast forward button. She’s just so self righteous it’s annoying as hell.

• sunshine says:

Thank you, I’ve felt I was the only one who truly thinks this character gets far too much story line every single season. She isn’t that good an actress and her character isn’t as powerful as the others. I’m almost done watching just because they can’t put her in the background.

11. Bella says:

I called it. I knew this was why they were bringing Lauren Stamile in, but I hoped I was wrong, because how tiresome and unimaginative can you get?

12. Bwhit says:

I just feel like that they should be left as they are right now. Yes, we know they are together but they have done a great job having that be the backstory. Why bring their relationship drama to the forefront again and add a third party as well? Just leave them as a couple who don’t have to be in each other’s face about the relationship 24/7…. But alas that doesn’t make for drama, *sigh*.

13. Helen says:

They better not split up I like them together and after everything tang they have been through

14. sunshine says:

I’m sorry if they are living together, I’ve wanted her to take a more minor role on this show for so long. I was hoping he would meet a more sophisticated type of woman and move away from her while the other more interesting cast members got bigger roles also. I don’t for the life of me know who thinks she’s interesting as an actress or in her role but they keep giving her a lead arc.

• Nancy says:

I would not hold your breath if you’re looking for Dawson to be a minor role. She is the female lead and always will be as long as her character remains on the show. That is one thing I know for certain.

15. JayJ says:

Yikes poor Jesse Spencer went from House to this mess of a show

16. Mrs Fordyce says:

I love Dawson and Casey together. So hoping there is a wedding for them in the future and a baby again. I love the show and hope they don’t take it off the air anytime soon. Casey and Severide our both very hot firefighters but my husband is a hotter firefighter.

17. lorretta says:

I love the show especially Dawson ad Casey story; and feel that they should stay together let everyone realize the love that they have for each other is true love and that anything or anybody that stand in their way they can work thru it. Dawson always there for him; in the good and the bad times so I feel he should be there for her too regardless what political consultant try to say or do. Dawson brother probably see what going on and see he is not the person he was before he became alderman and he is their to open Casey eyes make him see he will be losing a woman that loves him and will be a shame. I think they will work thru this hurdle, PLEASE DO NOT BREAK THEM UP; THEY ARE THE JOY OF THE SHOW.