Of Kings and Prophets Cancelled

Of Kings and Prophets Cancelled at ABC

Talk about an epic failure.

ABC has cancelled its ambitious swords-and-sandals drama Of Kings and Prophets after two disastrously rated episodes, TVLine has learned. Beyond the Tank will take over the show’s Tuesday-at-10/9c timeslot beginning March 22 (aka next week).

In its second outing this week, the Game of Thrones ripoff drew just 2.4 million total viewers and a 0.5 demo rating, which represented a decline of 27 and 37 percent from its frighteningly low debut. TVLine readers gave the premiere an average “C-” grade.

Originally slated to launch last fall in the Sundays-at-10 time slot (now held by Quantico), Prophets was shelved until midseason after hitting some creative speed bumps which included the recasting of several key roles. The show’s demise mirrors the swift collapse of ABC’s Wicked City, which was axed in November after three episodes.

Of Kings and Prophets’ remaining 8 episodes (which have already been shot) will likely end up on a TBD digital platform.

1. ABG says:

Cue the “BUT I LOVE IT, IT GOT SO MUCH BETTER” comments.

2. Mike says:

Does anyone here remember the shows Kings. It was a modern day retellings of the David. That at least was sudsy intriguing mess that never fully got to where it was going. I look at the trailer for this one I am jus see garbage.

3. HAP says:

ABC owns the show, so it was very easy to pull the plug. 11 episodes did not see the light of day. My only question is, with such appalling ratings, what other platform would pay ABC to air the show?

4. Chris says:

Wow calling the Bible a ” Game of Thrones ripoff”!?!

5. Joe says:

This had bomb written all over it last May when it was announced

6. Mr. Tran K says:

Of Kings and Prophets would have been great on cable TV and not on a broadcast network like ABC. The alphabet network still need a huge hit in the 10 pm Tuesday night time slot if only Forever (already cancelled) should have broken the curse.

7. dryedmangoez says:

Maybe if they aired the uncensored version with the butts and sex instead?

8. Carla Krae says:

Damn.

9. Thank God. One of the worst shows in the history of television.

10. A. D. says:

No duh!

11. bshaid says:

It was terribly unbelievable, what little pieces of it I saw. David’s being anointed the chosen one, where were the other brothers?

• John Houston says:

You might have been thinking of Joseph.

• Jess says:

Read the Bible, he does get anointed.

• Neal Oaudu says:

no bshald is right. David is anointed but not after Samuel looked at his brothers first. it was only after this did David set foot in Saul’s palace

• casey hadford says:

Religious Studies scholar here. Just read the whole story of David less than two weeks ago. Essentially, it’s nope not this one. Nope not this one. Is this all your sons? Well my youngest son David isn’t here. Go get him. Ok. Yes, this guy is it. The show wasn’t completely awful in its representation. It didn’t pull an Exodus Gods and Kings and have the damn pyramids in the wrong place, so at least there’s that.

• Michelle LaPorte Gomez says:

Why cancel a show before the end of the season? We were looking forward to this not beyond the tank. Too many reality shows.

• Emily says:

Well said

12. Chris says:

“Game of Thrones ripoff” – so GoT is now the defacto show of this type? That’s kind of sad, especially coming off that trash season 5. I really hate when one big show comes along and then suddenly any other show with a similar setting is almost automatically deemed a ripoff. Such lazy criticism.

• Jason says:

I agree, the comparison of every drama with a bloody sword is now a GoT ripoff, from Marco Polo to Vikings, as if GoT is the one based on history

• Nancy says:

Agreed. I actually enjoyed Of Kings and Prophets and was looking forward to the next episode. Too bad ABC can’t give any show time to gain an audience. With so many other channels now, they really should give a show like this time to develop a following. I am sure it would have. But they only doom themselves by acting hastily.

13. Annie says:

Hahahaha. I hope this, following Wicked City’s fail serves as a lesson that it’s not always greener on the other side and to not be greedy. ABC had two shows that did moderately well in that time slot, but greed made them think they could do better.
    bring back Forever

14. meatwad says:

i liked this show. should of known it wouldn’t last after they pushed it’s premiere so far back

15. BrianR says:

Guess they miss Forever now. Dumb ass ABC.

16. Phoenix5634 says:

Haha that’s what they get for trying to rip off game of thrones and turn it into a bible themed mess. Lol 2 episodes, that’s got to be a near record cancellation, ha.

• Z says:

No, it’s pretty standard. Years ago “The beautiful life” on the CW and”Lonestar” on Fox were also pulled after 2 eps.

17. Mary S says:

I do not watch Game of Thrones, Reign, or any of the other costume shows…but, because it is approaching Easter and this is a Biblical story, I watched..and I liked it…I also liked The Borgias on Showtime, but that was cancelled long ago…
    So we are to be left mid-story, as they have left us hanging with so many other shows.
    It doesn’t seem that the new CEO will be any better than the previous ones…

18. Jared says:

ABC knew for months that they had a flop on their hands with this show. Can’t say I’m surprised.

19. Ron says:

Not only did I not know this was even airing, I honestly didn’t even know this was a show period. The name doesn’t ring a bell, and I can’t recall any promotion. And I consider myself to be up on modern TV. But yeah, I didn’t even know ABC was doing a show like this, let alone that it was actually airing.

• Carol Clifford says:

Exactly! My sister told me about this show “Of Kings and Prophets” and told me I could watch the first two episodes on “On Demand”. So, my husband and I watched it and we loved it. When we went to record the rest of the series, it was not to be found. We looked on line and discovered it was canceled. Yes, we can read the Bible, but when I watch movies about the Bible, it just makes it so much more real to me. I hope the rest of the series are played somewhere. I’ve been trying the New Zealand TVNZ but we are in the wrong time zone. I wonder if I could change the time zone on my lap top and watch it? Probably not. I’m very disappointed. I think it was just a case of poor advertising.

• 1lear says:

@carolclifford Agree Totally. I just happen to stumble onto the show. If they had advertised the show for a few months, built up tension, made some great trailers, more people would probably had known about it and watched. I liked it, it’s an entertaining TV show people, not a documentary. I bet if Netflix had released it for binge watching it would have done much better. We need a series like this inbetween waiting for GoT.
        ABC slipped it out there all quiet like a rat with tennis shoes on.

20. Danny says:

ABC, bring back “Secrets & Lies.” It was supposed to debut at midseason. It was building momentum at the end of the season, and these extended breaks are fatal for non-cable broadcast shows (i.e., the dip in ratings for “Scandal,” “How to Get Away with Murder.”

21. I had to be. Too many liberties w. the original story: 1st. David was blonde and was a child not a rogue looking character; 2nd. the plot to kill Samuel is preposterous. That is the problem with historic tales (the guy who was the advisor for The 10 Comm. is long dead). Next time stick to the real story.

• Bigdede says:

The bible describes David as ruddy and beautiful in appearance. Where you get David was a blonde? And he wasn’t a child. He was more likely a teen. Remember David killed a lion. I think you need to reread the bible

• Marie says:

Where in the Bible it says he was blonde?

22. Suzanne says:

Crazy!!! This is a great show! I couldn’t wait for the second episode. And now it’s cancelled!?!?! The problem is advertising. I only knew about it because it was recorded on my DVR in Primetime TV. Give this show some attention and it will kill the ratings. Everyone I spoke to didn’t even know about it!!!!

• Gigi says:

I agree Susan. I can’t believe they cancelled the show. I knew nothing about the show even existing. I was doing some work and couldnt find anything on watch online and came across this show. I loved it! I couldnt wait for the next episode. I watched that one. GREAT! I was all prepared to watch the next episode and couldn’t find it anywhere. I finally saw they cancelled it. That sucks. Hopefully it will appear somewhere. They just didn’t advertise enough. ABC never wants to deal with real reality. I wish AMC would take it and run with the continued development of this show

• Adriane Nusky says:

So true, I caught second episode , loved it so went ON DEMAND to watch 1st episode , I loved it and couldn’t wait for the the 3rd and it’s cancelled… Shame cause I rarely watch that channel mostly trash tv . Very disappointed on the cancellation.

• Tina says:

I agree Suzanne! I didn’t see any advertisements for this show at all and I watch a lot of tv shows that I record. I just happen to see an advertisement for this show tonight while watching an older show I had recorded and went to check it out on demand. I was able to watch 2 episodes and went looking for the rest only to find out the show was canceled! I loved the show and wanted to see the rest of it played out. I cant imagine shark tank or beyond the tank have any better ratings! They need to get rid of some off these reality shows! I hope we can at least catch the rest of the season somewhere else or online. So sad they cancel another excellent show.

23. JenJ says:

Another example of the poor decision making on ABC. Instead of dumping the series “Forever” as they did because of what they considered bad ratings, they put on these 2 losers, that haven’t even made it to even the lowest ratings that “Forever” had. I’ll bet they are moaning about that decision after 2 disasterous series in a row.

24. Z says:

What I don’t understand is that ABC knew it was a failure since summer, so much that the changed the schedule and put Quantico in its place, so why go through the trouble of recasting and shooting all the episodes if they already sensed the show was a waste of money??!!

25. Pat Edwards says:

we were enjoying it! NEVER watch Sharks period. What a shame. Let us know where the balance goes. Didn’t even get to see David fight and kill Goliath.

26. In my area a bad storm went through the night of 1st episode of kings and prophets. Over 3000 had power outage.2nd was👍

27. pamela damato says:

I liked the show..too bad it’s gone. I hope I will get to see the remaining episodes. ..

28. tom 70 says:

What is this world coming to when a show about biblical stories is canceled in two weeks; and a show about Lucifer is still on? Fox has just lost me as a viewer, never to return. I will delete the station if possible.

• Alice says:

Tom, I think it was cancelled because the combination of biblical and sexual scenes; however, you made a good point about Lucifer show continues.

• Ash says:

I didn’t care for those scenes, but I felt like it showed hold selfish Saul and the queen were to think they were bigger than God. I loved the chemistry with David and the younger daughter. Two episodes is not long enough to decide if something will be good or not. If that were the case I would have stopped watching many of my regular shows. Tom, I’m with you; no more fox for me.

29. David Gaines says:

This is terrible. I really liked the episodes they broadcast. I was really looking forward to the series. Just another example of anything having to do with God and Jewish people is not acceptable to liberal Hollywood.

30. Andy Howe says:

You could tell this show was going nowhere given that it was supposedly based on the Bible. Non-believers would not want to watch because it was based on the Bible. Many believers would not want to watch because it was not strictly based on the Bible. Too many people would have a reason to not watch. And then you have that they are basing it on the David story. That story in general makes a good drama, such as Kings. But when you are setting it back in ancient times, it becomes a little hard for believers to stomach because a lot of them forget or do not want to acknowledge that the David story is a story of many sins and redemption and just want to think of David as a great leader and believer.

31. Billy says:

Sunday School on we discussed Jeremiah 3 of backsliding and the struggle with faith as in the beginning of the Kings and Prophets of Israel returning to the voice of the Lord and kings kingdom of Jerusalem of the Lion of Judah and Benjamin Crown of the Wolf of Jacob, Israel. The strory of saving our family’s.

32. kris says:

Can’t believe this show was cancelled. I really looked forward to watching this. Wth!! I was googling to find out of I had mis calculated when it was coming on & to see it’s been cancelled is ridiculous. When you start something finish it!

33. lmarie says:

I actually loved the OF KINGS AND PROPHETS show and I loved KINGS when it was on. I don’t understand why it received bad reviews and ratings, it had just as much sex and violence as any other show does. At least it was partly educational since it was bible based. That was my only Tuesday night show, so I guess my TV won’t get turned on today. So sad, I bet if it had started out with David and johnathan kissing it would still be on. Since alot of TV shows have gone to that platform .

34. Debbie says:

Are you kidding me??? Kings and Prophets was the best thing I’ve seen in a WHILE!!!! It only stands to reason, most folks don’t want to watch anything that may have a Biblical base!!! I loved it and looked forward to, Tuesday nights!!!!

35. tiphanie warren says:

I am extremely upset about of kings and Prophets being cancelled I actually loved it and it’s a shame that ABC would cancel it after a few episodes. I don’t understand why you always have to follow every single secular thing out there. It was a great show and I’m sitting in front of the TV waiting for it looking forward to it just to go online to see why it’s not on. Shame Shame Shame

36. Alice says:

I watched both episodes; however, as a Christian, I think the show went too far on sexual scenes. It would have gotten more viewers without the rated r part; I had to literally block out those scenes but I’m fascinated about Bible stories. If you could bring it back without those scenes, again more viewers.

• lmarie says:

To be totally honest if they took the sex out it would not be bible based anymore. The old testament is full of sex and scandal and betrayal it’s just apart of who people were and are.

37. Gigi says:

I loved the show and I loved how they kept it real. People want to act like there is no sex or violence or greed back then. Read the Bible folks its’ way more story then even Shakespeare could write. ABC bring it back, or please give the rights over to another network who will give it justice!!!

38. Lydia Pearson says:

So sad to see this show go, especially during Passover and Easter.was looking forward to watching with the family.sadly the show Lucifer is everywhere even on repeats. Sharktank is not the Bible. Do I have to go to pbs. for my intellectual,l, educational, and entertaining programming?You had my attention and now you have my disappointment.

39. Pamela Brown says:

I’m very upset they cancelled after 2 shows?? Why would you cancel a great biblical show and replace with more ignorant supposed “reality” TV? Don’t you think some of us are sick of reality Tv? Yes the biblical stories may have been sensationalized, but honestly if it gets a younger generation interested in the bible why not? ABC you made a bad decision on this one, you could have at least played it out til summer…

40. Pamela Brown says:

Why is everyone saying it was a Game of Thrones knockoff? Did you even watch the shows? Have you ever watched GofT?I think not, no comparison, not even close!

41. Ann says:

I am so tired of good shows being cancelled to put on different terrible shows!!!! Of Kings and Prophets was good but was based on Bible people and that’s why it was cancelled. Yet we can have all kinds of homosexuality and sexually explicit shows that are fine. Stupid ABC there was not enough marketing, it didn’t even really get a chance.

42. Aisha says:

why i was looking for it until i came on line.no fear. I was remembering so much and learning also. Bring it back

43. bible fan says:

Full of sex & violence? But its on at 10pm!! Ive seen shows full of sex & violence before this time with all kind of homesexuality and all kinds of explicit xrated things before 10pm!! Im really upset they pulled the plug!!!

44. tommy says:

It is full of sex and violence? No more than outsiders!! Yuk – bring jt back please!!

45. Dylan Gregory says:

This is making me so MAD!!! I was so excited to see the next episode and I cant believe it got cancelled. I dont watch much tv anymore these days but I was starting to really fall in love with this show

46. Vic says:

Cancelling was a horrible move by ABC but also a good one in the sense that I need to know more. I have never read the bible but this show has exposed me to a great story that I must follow-up on. PLEASE BRING IT BACK. I now have a starting point in the bible and will be reading whether they bring it back or not

47. marilyn murfitt says:

They should continue this i was hooked after the first season

48. uriel says:

It’s unbelievable how you cancel a show that has to do about the Bible talking about too much violence sexual explicit but then again you have shows on TV that curves and have sexual explicit content like the new show CATCH now you ABC employees are a disgrace listen to these Illuminati crackheads hold your balls where they belong or your tits where they belong stand up for what’s right and wrong and what YOU did with that show is completely wrong

49. angel moon says:

This isn’t FAIR!!! How can they simply cancel it without warning after just TWO episodes?! They could at least air ALL of them before officially canceling it. Just because the first two didn’t get good ratings doesn’t mean the rest won’t. It just barely even started before they tanked it. After WEEKS-MONTHS of taunting us with SHORT commercials advertising for it, their getting rid of it after just two episodes?!

• Teresa says:

I know right. Whoever decided to air it during spring break is a genius,”NOT,” they should at least have it readily available to view on their websit. So disappointed!!!

50. Shana says:

Am upset, any show promoting devil and demons, get rating and stay on tv, once its a bible show, it get cancel, like omg, what’s up with these ppl, I dont normally look up show, but I was wondering why I didn’t see the 3rd episodes, they cancel thr bible series now this, smh. Its history, smh, I really wanted to watch this series, reading it and watching it, is not the same.