Larry Drake Dead

L.A. Law's Larry Drake Dead at 66

Larry Drake, winner of two Primetime Emmy Awards for his work on NBC’s L.A. Law, died Thursday in Los Angeles at the age of 66.

Though an exact cause of death has not yet been released, TMZ reports that Drake was discovered in his home by a friend; paramedics were called and Drake was pronounced dead at the scene.

From 1987 to 1994, Drake portrayed mentally disabled office clerk Benny Stulwicz on L.A. Law, an unforgettable character who earned him back-to-back Emmy Awards for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series in 1988 and 1989. The role also earned Drake three Golden Globe nominations in 1989, 1990 and 1992. He reprised the role of Benny in L.A. Law‘s 2002 made-for-TV movie.

Drake followed up his incredibly successful run on L.A. Law with a string of small-screen appearances on shows like The Outer Limits, Fantasy Island, Star Trek: Voyager and Six Feet Under. His final role on television was Bishop Luke Bernard in a 2008 episode of Fox’s Boston Legal.

Voiceover work was a large part of Drake’s post-L.A. Law career; he provided the voice of Pops for more than 27 episodes of Cartoon Network’s Johnny Bravo, and also lent his services to episodes of Batman BeyondJustice League and As Told by Ginger.

In addition to his work on television, Drake also cultivated a successful career on the big screen, appearing in films like The Karate Kid and American Pie 2.

Do you have a favorite memory of Drake’s work? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Brian says:

He was a great actor. Grew up watching him on LA Law and loved him in Dark Night of the Scarecrow.

R.I.P. Larry

2. De says:

How about Darkman? I also enjoyed watching him on ABC’s Prey, with Debra Messing and Adam Storke. Is it wrong to still not like it’s cliffhanger ending?

3. Brian says:

I had the great fortune of working with him on stage in You Can’t Take It With You when I was in college. He was extremely generous with his advice and time. A kind man who will be missed.

4. I was 1st introduced to his work on “LA: Law” and he was so good as Benny that I believed he was a mentally challenged actor. It wasn’t until I saw him in other roles that I discovered my mistake. His talent became even more praise worthy.

5. chadcronin says:

I loved Dr. Giggles!

6. Grace says:

Loved him in LA Law! So sad to hear of his passing. RIP Larry.

7. mollytanner says:

Dr. Giggles!

8. George H. says:

He played Benny so well my parents thought he was like that in real life, lol. RIP

9. TV Gord says:

His graceful portrayal of Benny taught many people of the ’80s that there was real humanity behind the outer image of someone who was–at the time–called mentally challenged. People who would have callously passed by a real Benny on the street fell in love with his portrayal of a man who had a purer heart than any of us could ever hope to have.

I won’t mourn his passing tonight. I will definitely celebrate his life!

Okay, I’ll mourn his death, too.

10. Ian Barber says:

RIP Larry! I’ll always remember him best from his role as the killer Santa in Tales from the Crypt!

11. Preacher Book says:

Sorry to hear this. Always liked him.