American Idol Trent Harmon

American Idol Recap: Yep, They Just Made America Grate Again

Dear America,

We need to talk.

No, I’m not moving to Canada if Screamy McOrangeFace wins the presidency — I can’t live in a world where I have to wait three or four days to watch my programs, and let’s not forget the importance of doing our civic duty in the midterm elections in 2018.

But my fellow residents of the U.S., you didn’t just drop the ball with this week’s American Idol, you took an anvil, slammed it through the roof and all the way down into the basement.

Yep, the “America’s Choice” theme, in which contestants were limited to song selection suggested by Twitter users, resulted in way too many done-to-death-on-Idol ditties getting pummeled like a Hillary Clinton piñata at a Tea Party rally. Where were the out-of-left-field surprises? The album tracks and long-forgotten hits we’ve been craving for 15 seasons?

And before you say it takes a certified chart-topper to succeed in the Idoldome, look no further than tonight’s encore — Adam Lambert’s Season 8 cover of the barely known (in 2009, anyway) “Mad World”… the jam that I’d argue took him from reality singing contestant to household name. (How great did he sound on both his performances this week, BTW, and could Idol live on on Fox with a weekly alumni concert series?)

Of course, everything I wrote in the preceding four paragraphs is assuming that “America” actually chose the songs foisted on the Season 15 Top 6 — and not the show’s producers, regurgitating previously cleared/inexpensive tunes from their recently created, anonymous Twitter accounts. Or mentor Scott Borchetta, “curating” the song lists down to three. Or two. Or one. (Can you have a list of just one?)

With that in mind, let me get to my letter grades for the night’s 11 performances — yep, one of the Top 6 got booted after Round 1 — bearing in mind I’ll be back Friday morning to update this URL with more detailed reviews:

Round 1
Trent Harmon – OneRepublic’s “Counting Stars” — Grade: D+ | There was so much gulping and gasping and flailing in this number, I half expected Ryan to toss a life preserver around Trent’s waist and pull him to safety backstage. Yeah, sure, the rapid-fire lyric and manic tempo weren’t exactly Trent’s forté — but one can’t (or shouldn’t) win Idol on ballads alone. Trent could’ve at least pushed for an arrangement that didn’t force him to deliver two words at the same time (and with Allison Iraehta only a few feet away, he had the perfect partner to help him with some of the heavy lifting, no?). Opportunity squandered, dude!

Dalton Rapattoni – Linkin Park’s “Numb” — Grade: C | The judges did a whole lot of yammering about the lackluster rearrangement of this not-that-great-anyway rock jam. But the bigger problem was the way Dalton dropped the ends of phrases and struggled to stay on top of the notes on a song with a very limited range. C’mon, Harry, did producers ban you from using the word “intonation”?

La’Porsha Renae – India.Arie’s “Ready For Love” — Grade: A | The big challenge for La’Porsha at this point in the season is showing “growth” (historically, a major motivation among voters) when everything she’s done since her audition has ranged from “very good” to “utterly mind blowing.” I’d suggest the increasingly self-assured single mom gamble on out-of-left-field song choices, except that the completely-in-her-wheelhouse “Ready for Love” was soul-stirringly sublime. The way she finessed each word, shading each note with rumbling vibrato or delicate high notes, was, as Harry noted, “all about the feeling” (while managing to be a technical master class at the same time).

MacKenzie Bourg – Cat Stevens’ “Wild World” — Grade: B- | I dig MacKenzie’s occasionally tremulous tone — even in cases like “Wild World,” where it signifies a lack of horsepower/breath control more than it does a deliberate artistic decision. There weren’t quite as many dubious notes per minute as Dalton hit in “Numb,” but the judges not calling him out on pitch — Keith instead went with a clearly pre-fabricated metaphor about cake batter — activated my side-eye big time.

Tristan McIntosh – Martina McBride’s “Independence Day” — Grade: B- | This was probably as in-tune as Tristan’s been since the live shows began, but at this point in her artistic development, the 15-year-old is simply not a mature enough storyteller to breathe any kind of life into tales of grown women overcoming hardships and obstacles. Emotionally, it’s all a shoulder shrug and a sigh — at least from my couch. Maybe someday Scott Borchetta will have the last laugh when Tristan becomes one of Idol’s greatest exports, but her Season 15 run was mostly as incongruous as reading The Grapes of Wrath to your toddler at bedtime.

Sonika Vaid – Demi Lovato’s version of “Let It Go” (from Frozen) — Grade: B | The wind machine helped for sure, but despite a few moments where her focus seemed to drift, Sonika dug in and hit a good majority of the notes on a Disney princess ballad that’s way high on the “technical difficulty” chart (as anyone who’s participated in a road-trip parental sing-a-long can attest). I would love to see Sonika attack a song with what Randy Jackson might call “in it to win it” gusto — she showed way back when on “Bring Me to Life” that she’s got it in her — but at least her “I could maybe finish fourth!” vibe gave us an unexpected upset in the final Judges’ Save in show history.

Bottom 2: Tristan and Sonika
Eliminated by the Judges: Tristan (right call — but I didn’t think they’d make it!)

Round 2
Dalton Rapattoni – Simon and Garfunkel’s “The Sound of Silence” — Grade: B | Dalton’s Blink 182-isms are fairly outside my preferred musical stylings, but I liked that he took a risk and brought harder guitars and angstier energy to a tune that’s known for its hushed power. Pitch continues to be his white whale, but I enjoyed this nonetheless, and I’m just going to pretend he didn’t dip the whole performance in a jar of Tostitos Salsa con Queso by sitting down on the floor with an emo sigh at the very end.

MacKenzie Bourg – Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean” — Grade: A- | Did I overgrade this performance on Thursday night? Mmmmayybe. Should I have given it a B+ instead? I can’t argue that strenuously either way. Because on the plus side, MacKenzie took the audience on a journey through the “rock star in need of Maury Povich” lyrics with his plinky, acoustic arrangement and subtle vocal breaks. But at the same time, as I listen back, perhaps there were a few moments where he twisted the melody into such a complicated knot, it was hard to tell if it was intentional, or actually a mistake.

Trent Harmon – Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man” — Grade: A- | Trent’s been such a sublime soul man all season that I wasn’t really optimistic about him making a foray into southern rock. Which, in retrospect, makes me want to give myself a crisp slap. From Kelly Clarkson’s “Stuff Like That There” to Blake Lewis’ Bon Jovi cover to Adam Lambert’s “Ring of Fire,” there are dozens and dozens of examples in the Idol history books of contestants rising to new heights by eschewing genre, zigging when we expect ’em to zag. The way Trent took the lyrics, infused them with his own brand of plaintive soulfulness, and then added a dash of Gospel-esque fervor, was truly lovely. Dare I say it was probably enough to erase memories of his needed-to-be-erased OneRepublic cover? In other words, he’ll totally make the final four.

Sonika Vaid – Zedd’s “Clarity” — Grade: C | Oh, gosh, no. How much does Scott Borchetta not want to sign Sonika that he allowed her to cover this piffle of an EDM track, then jump around incessantly so her breath support collapsed like a wet bargain-brand paper towel holding up a pint of cherry tomatoes?

La’Porsha Renae – Mary J. Blige’s “No More Drama” — Grade: B+ | My Reality Check co-host Melinda Doolittle has promised to read me for filth when we tape our next episode of Reality Check (see last week’s show embedded below), since she thinks the B+ I gave “No More Drama” is insane, bordering on sacrilege. Fair enough. I can see how La’Porsha’s backstory of escaping an abusive relationship — combined with her explosive, emotional reading of the MJB classic – activated America’s tear ducts. I felt what she was emoting, too. It’s just that the entire first verse was completely out of the pocket, and several of La’Porsha’s transitions wobbled beneath the tears bubbling up to the surface. I needed to hear a tiny bit more control if I was going to give this one an “A” grade — even if failure to do so creates all that much more drama in our comments section. (See what I did there? Cue the Young and the Restless theme, stat!)

OK, your turn. Vote for your fave performances in our poll below, then hit the comments and share your reasoning — and your thoughts about this week’s elimination!

1. Owen says:

Top 6 is the point of the competition where I generally like everyone. I have favorites, but I really don’t care who wins. (Right now, Dalton is my favorite but I sorta want LaPortia to win…). But I cried with JLo tonight…I’m sooo going to miss this show…

• Lisa G says:

Agreed. I like all five who are left, and I was happy that Sonika got a second save (sort of makes me think she legit had the 5th spot too). Dalton was my favorite going into the Top 10, but Trent has won me over. I actually liked his first performance tonight, so I definitely have Trent Fever. :) Dalton shouldn’t sing sitting down. He doesn’t have enough breath strength. I dislike Scott enough that I almost hope no one I really like wins so they don’t get stuck with him….

• Victor Chu says:

For once, I agree mostly with Michael on the grades. However, I am sad to say that my favorite, Sonika, will be leaving the show next week. She blew it with her song selection of Clarity, and everyone else stepped it up in the 2nd round. That said, she has such potential with that voice and her looks. All she needs is that confidence that Christina or even Demi has.

Anyway, my grades are:

Round 1
        Trent Harmon – OneRepublic’s “Counting Stars” — Grade: D+
        Dalton Rapattoni – Linkin Park’s “Numb” — Grade: C
        La’Porsha Renae – India.Arie’s “Ready For Love” — Grade: A-
        MacKenzie Bourg – Cat Stevens’ “Wild World” — Grade: B
        Tristan McIntosh – Martina McBride’s “Independence Day” — Grade: B-
        Sonika Vaid – Demi Lovato’s version of “Let It Go” (from Frozen) — Grade: B+

Round 2
        Dalton Rapattoni – Simon and Garfunkel’s “The Sound of Silence” — Grade: B+
        MacKenzie Bourg – Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean” — Grade: A-
        Trent Harmon – Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man” — Grade: A
        Sonika Vaid – Zedd’s “Clarity” — Grade: C
        La’Porsha Renae – Mary J. Blige’s “No More Drama” — Grade: A-

Based on voice and historical performance, this season should be La’Porsha’s to lose.

• safado says:

La’Porsha’s first performance was star material. Her second was her worst of the season. She lacked control. Still, the only one she could lose to is Trent.

• Victor Chu says:

I was not as impressed as most people with her 1st song … thus, the A- … however, I was borderline A- / BBB+ on the second song … I don’t think she was as out of control as you thought but even her worst is still better than most.

Trent is hit or miss, as he showed tonight. I still think Sonika has the most potential vocally, just lack of experience in performing and “feeling” the song.

• Smokey says:

Agree, the only very slight mystery left is whether Sonika can outlast either MacKenzie or Dalton. (which is doubtful, but not totally impossible) Otherwise, it’s just sailing toward the Trent vs. LaPorsha finale.

• Mt says:

But she has the back story and emotional arc. MacKenzie has the fan base and social media dating back to the Voice but he’s no Idol but I’m sure gets lots of girl votes. Producers really have cheated fans out of a real final season of idol the show still rates well… They couldn’t have gone another few weeks and not had 3 judge saves in a row?

• Lee says:

@Victor: I think you’re being unfair to Sonika. If she wasn’t in the Bottom 2, I’m willing to bet she would’ve saved Let It Go for her 2nd performance. But because she was singing for her life, she had to sing it first. I still think Sonika’s Clarity was better than a lot of Round 1 songs, such as Counting Stars, Numb and Wild Life.

And I think Dalton will go home next week instead of Sonika. First, he sang first in Round 2 (and will be quickly forgotten). Second, he didn’t hit the high notes in Silence as he should have thereby showing his lack of range in a well-known song. And third, I just don’t think either of his performances tonight will carry him through. (At least Sonika has Let it Go.)

• Victor Chu says:

@Lee – Don’t forget that I love Sonika’s voice … but, her cover of Clarity was really not very good, and if you look at the poll here, it’s in last place … even behind Numb and Counting Stars which was flat-out awful. And, while Trent can sing, I’m not sure why everyone think he’s THAT great. But, I hope you’re right in that Sonika will make it through another week past Dalton on Thursday. Personally, I’d rather see Trent go despite his great rendition of Simple Man, but I know that I am in the minority, since his performances more often than no grate on me … probably b/c I’m not a big fan of nasally voices.

• Bernie says:

I actually think Trent is very consistent. Counting Stars was his only off performance to date.

• Lizzie says:

Being second would be the actual prize, so that they avoid the life with Scott bullying them into submission to the will of Big Machine Records, with a restrictive contract.

• Povalles says:

I was thinking just this, and I feel I really want La’Porsha to lose with anybody, because I don’t think she could do as well with Scott as anywhere else. But let’s see, no girl has beaten a guy since Jordin, even when the likes Crystal, Lauren (actually Haley) or Jena were better than their guys.

• Bryan says:

I dont know. I like Dalton but I think he peaked too soon and now MacKenzie has stepped over him. I agree with Jennifer on Numb not getting that oomph it needed, the second song was cheesily staged but it was a good performance nonetheless. LaPortia is a final 2 shoo-in.

• damnfingers says:

Is Melinda getting invited back for the finale?

2. Logan says:

La’Porsha was the best, once again

Dalton may have recovered with Sound of Silence, I really liked that

Trent was way off Round One, but redeemed himself Round Two

The other two just need to go. Please.

Top 4 will likely be without Sonika, then Mac will go. Top 3 to Top 2 is when the lines get blurred for me. I feel like Dalton will undeservingly make it to the finale.

• Antonio Hall says:

• Extra Berry says:

Not nice? Sonika, like Tristan, needs to mature and get more comfortable singing in front of people. This is a singing competition for goodness sake! You can’t be afraid to sing!

• Rob says:

I don’t think ‘not nice’ is the right response here. You may disagree with the OP but they weren’t being mean at all.

• Lizzie says:

I have not enjoyed any of Sonika’s performances. Her voice is adequate in a high school talent show sort of way, but she doesn’t connect with anything except her desire to promote herself – she seems to have spent far too much time singing in front of a mirror, and admiring her own work. She is a stilted performer, really quite wooden and all of the “step here, do this, do a twirl for no reason in the middle of a song” nonsense that the production crew is having her do, it’s poorly done. Her voice is adequate, but she isn’t even Pia Toscano who had a far better voice but was also bland in how she went about it. The judges have kept her in with two saves, but hopefully next week when they can’t keep her any longer, she will be gone. Scott can’t imagine that she is marketable, but he has had far too much influence over the “competition” process, he and the producers have wrecked any real semblance of the singers actually competing, and the judges have had far too much power to date.

• Lizzie says:

Agree that Top 3 will likely be LaPorsha, Trent, and Dalton. I think the final two are LaPorsha and Trent.

3. Darelle says:

Now Micheal, a B+. You know Melinda is going to get you.

4. I vote for Adam Lambert. The rest can leave

• Ellen says:

AMEN!!!!

• Scout says:

Geez, he is beautiful. I know he can sing, but geez, he is beautiful.

• Allie says:

Lol – I said the same thing to my husband – why has this show been on since he left? Awesome.

• Scamp says:

I love Adam a lot, but that new
      song was missing something important.

• yeah like substance. His new stuff sucks.

• SoozinCA says:

Take another listen to the lyrics, the verses of the new song are about being accepted and accepting ourselves, despite our flaws and the ways we think differently. Being together there at a show, sharing the light, lets us all shine. I think it is one of the most substantive songs he has ever done.

• Lyn says:

True, but it’s monotonously repetitive. I adore Adam, but that song is not a winner.

• Lizzie says:

I didn’t particularly like it, and found the songwriter’s participation to be distracting for the most part, kind of useful to the performance, but not super great. I like Adam’s voice, and the sound is better than a lot we’ve heard this round from the contestants who made it to the live shows.

• Kayk says:

Adam is far and away the best Idol contestant EVER for voice, looks, creativity, command of the stage, fearlessness…and in interviews he is always intelligent and a genuinely nice guy :)

• Jim R. says:

It would have been a really cool Idol History moment if they could have done an Adam/Allison duet. I seem to recall they did one back in Season 8 deep in the competition.

5. Derby says:

La’Porsha isn’t just in another league as the rest of them…she’s in an entirely different universe.

I couldn’t believe the tongue baths the judges came for some of those other performances. Were they listening to the same ones we saw?

And to the surprise of exactly NO ONE, Adam Lambert slayed, as usual.

• BeBe says:

Isn’t it abundantly clear to everyone by now that there’s some sort of organized effort on the part of the show to keep hyping Dalton? I think Borchetta sees him as the most marketable. Week after week the judges should be ripping him a new one for how badly he sings, but no — instead they spin it as him being an original. He’s not. And he should have been mortified in the presence of Adam Lambert. It’s really nothing personal against Dalton; it’s more about the producers, judges, and Borchetta taking us for fools.

• Owen says:

Dude. Did you hear them tonight? These judges do NOT want Dalton in the Top 2. The show doesn’t want him in the Top 2, They put him second and then first. And did not love either performance. Slezak is so sure Borchetta was thwarted. Oh no. They saw the votes, They knew where Tristan was going (gone). But Borchetta and the show have now turned their eyes toward Trent. Trent is Borchetta’s new country boy. And Dalton would upset that. We love LaPortia, but girls don’t win this anymore if its unrigged. So the guy standing up there with her will be the Idol. And Borchetta, mark my words, wants Trent.

• Scamp says:

I want Trent to win.

• Lyn says:

IMO it really doesn’t matter. None of the remaining contestants has any chance of a national career as a singer. Local small venues for a while, maybe, but they’re not going anywhere in music. Due to likability, I can envision Dalton having a career as a host or MC similar to Joey Fatone, Alphonso Ribeiro or even Ryan Seacrest. The rest don’t have enough appeal to make it big touring which is where singers make their $$ these days.

• Toba7 says:

Borchetta: creepy, awful.

• Scout says:

• Scout says:

Um, I like Dalton a lot, but I am unconvinced he can actually sing. And the more he sings, the more I am convinced that, um, no.

• Rumer31 says:

It doesn’t matter if he can sing. Remember Phillip Phillips? He couldn’t sing, either. Dalton is the “never-going-home” contestant this year. He is heading to the top 2, at least.

My grades:

Dalton Rapattoni – Simon and Garfunkel’s “The Sound of Silence” — Grade: A
          MacKenzie Bourg – Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean” — Grade: C+
          Trent Harmon – Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man” — Grade: A-
          Sonika Vaid – Zedd’s “Clarity” — Grade: D
          La’Porsha Renae – Mary J. Blige’s “No More Drama” — Grade: A

• Kbella says:

I have to disagree with you about Phillip Phillips. I think he has a great voice and that song they gave to him won him the whole thing. Dalton just doesn’t come close to that level of talent.

• Scout says:

I can’t believe I am saying this – but Dalton is no Phillip Phillips. Not even close.

• Somebody says:

I thought the same thing–to me, his rendition of The Sound of Silence was kind of…well, bad. Partially, it was me simply not liking the spin he put on it, but there were a ton of technical issues on display, as well. But people here seem to have liked it, so go figure.

• Lizzie says:

I would rather watch Dalton perform than have to listen to Sonika, so the organized effort to keep her is worse than having Dalton hang around a while longer. They seem to have tamed him and beaten out some of his spark, though – a couple of weeks ago they showed a stage guy telling him where to turn when, where to look, how to frame his shoulders, etc. and all that seems to be keeping him from doing his Dalton stuff to the best of his ability.

• Temperance says:

He shouldn’t have made the Top 20 (neither should Tristen, ugh). Neither are anywhere near where they need to be for this show. Dalton needs a couple years of serious voice lessons – he has a three note range and almost no ability to hold a note.

• JM says:

Adam was amazing, and might I add, so gracious to the woman he sang with. One of the qualities that I’ve always liked about him.

6. Even though I too enjoyed La’Porsha’s first song more, I was moved to tears hearing her story and listening to the lyrics of the second one. That was personal and I felt it. I loved how it was sort of like a “Kiss My Ass” to her abuser, but she was too dignified to even have anger be the dominant theme – it was…I am a phoenix!

• SaraNotSarah says:

i felt La’Porsha was incredibly genuine, but the way Idol put it out there felt exploitative and manipulative (not that the producers ever do that) – esp given the competition format. (If it had not been part of packages shown between performances, that would have been better.) Then JLo fearing she would somehow be left out of the drama, had to get her attention. Just left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Lisa G says:

They were definitely trying to manipulate emotions. The only thing is poor Sonika is normal. Dalton is Bipolar, Mac almost died, LaPorsha was abused, Trent’s best friend died, and Sonika is…shy. I love her voice and voted for her because I like her, but I think I would have anyway just to try and defeat the machine’s efforts to leave her in last. That said, all five singers seemed completely genuine, whereas the “judges” followed the script.

• cie says:

ha! Well put re: the cloying narratives. Poor Sonika — beautiful, talented and at home in Martha’s Vineyard.At least she didn’t try to fake some sad tale.

• Jessii says:

They sat them down in front of a camera, made them tell the saddest possible story that will be sure to snatch all the grandma’s votes, and Sonika’s is just like “I’m shy”

• Emma says:

LOL. That was so funny. I mean it’s good that she hasn’t suffered or gone through anything really traumatic, but no wonder all her performances seem so high school pageant. Haha. I do like her voice tho, I think it’s the strongest voice with the most pleasant tone of the ones who are left. I’m shocked they saved her, I thought for sure they’d save Tristan. I wonder what Tristan’s depressing back story would have been.

• jerrired says:

I thought this same thing! Everyone got to focus on their tragedy and Sonika was just kind of there. Hers had a different musical tone to it too. The producers definitely have a final four in mind, and Sonika is not in it.

• Tim says:

“The only thing is poor Sonika is normal.”
          This really made me laugh. Thank you for that.
          I voted for her also. Though she’ll probably be eliminated next week, I was trying to help her beat that non-singer (Dalton).

• girl_3 says:

To Lisa G…right before Sonika sang her second song, I looked at my husband and said, “So in the opening packages they had Dalton talk about being bi-polar, Mackenzie talk about his heart condition, and Trent talking about the loss of his friend. We know LaPorsha will talk about her abusive marriage. WTH is Sonnika gonna say? She was bummed that time she couldn’t take advanced chemistry because it conflicted with pre-calculus?” This may be unfair because I love Sonnika’s voice and I’m stoked she made it this far, but her life experience does not lend itself to suffering for one’s art. The Idol proletariat love the aspect of plucking an unknown from obscurity or dire circumstances and making him or her a star. A pre-med student from Martha’s Vineyard doesn’t fit the narrative. Unfair, yes, but true. And sadly the lack of adversity (coupled with her shyness, which is a very painful thing to deal with) sabotage her performances as much as the producers putting a big spotlight on her relative normalcy.

• MamaLis says:

impressive writing, girl3.

• HTGR says:

Yeah, probably so, and then mix in that the Northeast doesn’t really vote in a huge way for these shows, especially not this many seasons in and she has the deck a bit stacked against her.

• This was exactly what I was thinking! It’s wrong though that we should judge the contestants on their level of hardships and struggles. Sonika has a terrific voice and I’d love to see her win. There is nothing wrong with having a normal life! Although as someone who suffers greatly from shyness, it really is a big obstacle for us, Kudos to Sonika for overcoming it, or at least doing her best. On another note, I was surprised Michael didn’t mention how J-Lo was covered from neck to toe this time!

• Allie says:

I didn’t feel that way at all. I don’t know anything about Jlo’s life experiences but as a woman who experienced just a touch of what La’Porsha experienced – I felt her honesty… and JLo’s.. And when my 13 year old daughter laughed at Jlo saying, “why is she acting like that?” I told her the same thing I will tell you – we do not know other people’s stories or their pain. You can never judge because you do not know – and I hope you never do. We all have stories to tell and this one is beautiful & triumphant and THAT is why many women with experience cried listening to this performance.

• Anna says:

I think your 13 yr old is still reassuringly immune to Idol mesmer so maybe you shouldn’t undermine her opinions/confidence? Every year, this and that precious cinnamon roll has a tragic backstory — you feel bad for them don’t you? Vooote for them, voooote to ease his/her sadness. (Think how hard this is for the producers when the idol can’t produce the loss of a loved one or serious illness.)

• Denise Topping says:

I feel for LaPorsha but am getting sooo tired of the crying.

7. Efe says:

I’m just glad that Sonika made top 5. Tristan is FINALLY gone. Hope Dalton is gone next.

• Antonio Hall says:

I agree Sonika Vaid is safe .Sonika Vaid killed it tonight on the show . She is a fighter , coming out of her shells , and her voice is breathtaking . She put her heart and soul into these songs and can you please vote for her .I am and I want her make it to the top 4 , top 3, top 2( Season finale ) and win the America idol show of Season 15.

• Karyn says:

Exactly my thoughts.

• Smokey says:

While I like all of the contestants as per their personal journeys to get on the show, it’s a shame we lost so many good young lady singers since even before the top 14. ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;That’s the case pretty much every year, since most voters are girls/women and they mostly vote for boys/men (according to a number of surveys done over several years). That’s the last mystery left, as to whether Sonika can hold-on another week.

8. Kari says:

No More Drama… B+??? What are you smoking Slezak?

9. Davey says:

I like all the contestants except Trent.

• Amy says:

I agree, I am not on the Trent bandwagon and never will be. The one and only song that is “relevant” to modern music (aka marketable), he butchered.

10. Ben says:

This is a pretty good top 5. I’m happy with it. I would have been happy seeing Avalon or Olivia in there, but I like this group.

• Trey Rhodes says:

ugh dont remind me…i miss olivia and avalon. could do without dalton for either one of those girls

• MC says:

Olivia is an emerging talent. I like to keep tabs on those singers/performers who have real potential (even if they didn’t come close to winning AI or The Voice). It wasn’t in the cards for Olivia to win this season, perhaps because of her youth and the fact that LaPorsha is making a strong impression on many people. Olivia could be great in a couple of years and she is definitely someone to watch imo.

• HTGR says:

Ultimately Olivia and Tristan have the best shot to make in the current billboard charting world. We’ll see what happens 2-4 years. The other are either all lacking a music style or whatnot to be as max marketable or ones who might, like Dalton, I don’t think have enough the vocal chops or edge. Maybe, maybe Trent could manage some sort of PP route. Sonika has some chance too, but I think a much trickier road than Olivia or especially Tristan (who probably has the best chance of the whole top 10) due to a number of factors..
        Given 2-4 or so, Tristan could be uber marketable beyond belief. Olivia has some potential for that too.

11. Guy says:

Really hoping Dalton is the next to go. I wouldn’t be too mad with a Top 4 that included LaPorsha, Trent, MacKenzie, and Sonika. But of course Dalton will be voted through because he’s cute of course.

• Owen says:

Yes, Dalton is cute. But he’s not just cute. I’m hard pressed to believe that people don’t see talent there. I hate prejudice in any form, and I don’t believe you aren’t looking at him through prejudice. You may not like his style. But boy’s got performance chops! He is obviously the most lacking of the vocalists this year, true. But I don’t actually care about that. And you remember Quentin Alexander? To Melinda’s incredulity, Slezak kept giving HIM good grades based on his libido (you KNOW it’s true! Slezak, like all gay men, are basically teenage girl AI Voters when we see a cute boy we like). But Quentin was very talented and very interesting and certainly was a worthy Idol. Just like Dalton.

• Guy says:

What prejudice do you think I’m looking at him through? Please enlighten me.

• Ben says:

Clearly you are prejudiced against people who can’t sing quite as well as the others, Guy.

• Owen says:

“But of course Dalton will be voted through because he’s cute of course.”

• Guy says:

So you think I’m prejudiced against him because he’s cute? I’m not sure what your point is. Face it, we all know cute boys tend to go far in this competition, regardless of their talent. That’s the case here with Dalton. Dalton’s voice is simply just okay. It’s nothing great. And the way he sings can be unpleasant at times. He practically butchered “Eleanor Rigby” last week. He should’ve been in the bottom 2 this week based on that, not Sonika.

• Scout says:

How dare you call him cute?! That’s just awful. You sure know how to insult a guy ;)

• JM says:

I will agree that Dalton is talented, but he seems to have lost his way and his voice. I remember his voice being much stronger before. Maybe the stress is getting to him?

• Jonah says:

I think so – it has been showing in his face the last couple of shows. This is why the judges slathering shallow praise every week instead of giving honest critiques (here’s what worked, here’s what didn’t) always sets some of the contestants up for a rattling shock – esp the younger or more vulnerable ones. They’ve been told they were perfect and full of artistry every week since the beginning then the end is in sight and the knives come out and they’re not prepared because they aren’t really doing anything differently.

• Lisa G says:

Yep. Or worse, they *are* doing something differently…because the “judges” told them to do so the week before…and get slammed for it. The looks of confusion are real. It happens to almost everyone every season. Usually the week the “producer’s props” need to tell America to stop voting for the poor kid.

• Gabby says:

Umm, you first said you hate prejudice and then you call gay men “basically teenage girls” when it comes to voting?

• Owen says:

Well, I’m of the opinion you can ONLY be prejudiced of your own kind. :)

• Lizzie says:

The idea that teenage girls vote for whoever they have a crush on regardless of their actual music talent, is somewhat similar to gay men voting for their crushes, the comparison seems understandable. Not all gay men are voting for their crushes, not all teenage girls are voting for theirs, but if that is the basis of their vote, it’s a ways off of looking for a superstar singer.

• kevstar says:

You say Guy is prejudiced against Dalton because he is “cute, yet turn around and insult ALL gay men by saying they vote like teenage girls( insulting them simultaneously), and follow their libidios. How dare you. Dalton sucks, and will not WIN. Get over it.

• kevstar says:

And Dalton ain’t that cute, either! Mackenzie is Way Cuter than Him!

• Tim says:

Why is it prejudiced not to like someone’s voice? I’m gay, and I think Dalton has beautiful eyes. I also think he has the worst singing voice ever to make the Top 5. No, I don’t see talent. (I’ve been wincing since Hopelessly Devoted to You.)

• HTGR says:

True, BUT I really think his vocal chops are just a bit too limiting (PP at least has a unique sound to his voice). And I actually like that music style better than the style most others left do. But I think they can find others with even more performance chops and same or better voice as his performance was strong for only certain song types.
        But who knows.
        At least given 2-4 years, Tristan would be the easiest to market and then maybe Olivia. Maybe, maybe Trent could manage along the lines of PP.
        Right at this moment, LaPorscha does have the most perfected vocal performances though whatever you think of her vocal style.

12. Your grades for Simple Man and No More Drama are too dang low.

13. Mak says:

Have to admit I was not a La’porsha fan til tonight. Getting an Aretha vibe from her now. Are we witnessing the birth of the new Queen of Soul? Outstanding.

• Jonah says:

no, we’re not or maybe yes an excellent Aretha cover artist – she already has the wardrobe lol. sorry, La’Porsha is probably this year’s Candice, though she could go the Fantasia route – but I don’t think she has Fantasia’s stage/performance skills. I think Idol is about more than a great voice – I think you want a versatile performance. As the ghost of simon would say, the american idol should be someone you can picture buying a concert ticket to see. Avalon is the best all around talent this season/

• Anni says:

No way. Avalon was a one-trick pony. Same type of song every single time, showed hardly any range in her voice. Yawnfest. I wouldn’t buy a ticket to her show.

14. BeBe says:

After tonight, there is only one clear choice. How could it not be La’Porsha?
    #2: Trent – I really like this guy. He can do some interesting stuff and I find him really compelling. But he was all over the place on the One Republic tune.
    #3: Mackenzie – I get the appeal but I’m also old enough to see that this guy’s not an original (John Mayer, Ed Sheeran, etc )
    #4: Sonika – Yeah, nice voice, but she’s no artist and I’m not sure that she has it in her to ever be. JLo is right — she needs to let go and stop thinking about every note. When she dances around, I just think that she’s thinking, “OK, time to dance around now.”
    #5: Dalton – Seriously, this guy is like the Trump of American Idol: How did he get this far??? Dude cannot sing well. Flat, no stamina, forced phrasing. Keep your “Daltonizing” and give me someone who can actually sing. And the guyliner? It’s nothing new or interesting, sweetie. Heck, even Keith had on guyliner tonight.

La’Porsha, if she were that kind of person, would have had every right to snap her fingers and tell everyone else tonight to go home. Except Adam Lambert. Thank God for Adam Lambert.

• Guy says:

Dalton got this far simply because he’s a cute boy with cool hair and tight pants. Seriously. That is exactly why a lot of people, young girls specifically, are voting for him. Personally, his whiny-emo-band style of singing doesn’t appeal to me whatsoever.

• Owen says:

“But of course Dalton will be voted through because he’s cute of course.”

• Mary says:

Dalton got through because he uses smoke and mirrors to hid that he doesn’t have a voice. Many viewers like style above substance. Unfortunately; if you look at many of the successful pop artist – voice is not a main concern. If this was strictly a singing competition LaPorsha should win. We all know that is probably a slim chance of happening. To be honest I am hoping that maybe she comes in second because Scott has no clue how to market her and I hate to see her defeated before she gets started.

• Shazza says:

BeBe thanks for putting in to words what I’ve been thinking all along!
      It was great to see Adam again.

• BeBe you said everything I’m thinking (but more politely than I probably would re: Dalton.His hand puppet gesture during sound of silence made me laugh out loud. I can’t believe he has past experience in a boy band because I don’t see a hint of professionalism at the very least that I might expect from someone with experience in the industry.)

Watching Sonika hug LaP at the end I thought “she probably has a great career as a therapist or something like that ahead of her” (I have no idea what she’s actually studying in college.) I keep forgetting that she isn’t “one of the 15 year olds”. And I would love for her to do better, she has a lovely voice and seems like a nice person, but there are a lot of people with lovely voices out there, just check out YouTube.

15. suebrody says:

La’Porsha and Trent or La’Porsha and MacKenzie will be the Top 2 (or will be Top 3 in the finale). That is all.

16. Ashton says:

Wow. Sonkia’s heartbreaking story… wow!

17. James says:

Wait, why isn’t La’Porsha on top in the polls?

• Emma says:

Just can’t bring myself to vote for that unfortunate squatty bouncy thing she was doing. lol. Also, maybe I’m just desensitized but compared to Kelly’s Piece By Piece performance, LP’s crying at the end didn’t seem all that genuine or spontaneous. idk.

18. RK says:

La’Porsha a B+? Michael, take your meds. A, possibly A+. And an extra plus for holding it together till the song was over. And you should mark up her Ready for Love to an A. She won both rounds, hands down and grades should reflect that. Trent’s Simple Man was my third fave. I almost like Mackenzie’s Billie Jean, though it had some hinky bits and was not as good as David Cook’s rendition.

• Aislinn says:

Agree with everything here, RK. La’Porsha was phenomenal, Trent’s Simple Man was a perfect song for him, performed well, and I liked Mackenzie’s creativity on Billie Jean, though it didn’t rise to David Cook’s level.

• Mary says:

I actually think he got it right. The beginning was shaky and some of the notes sounded off to me. I understand why, seeing the backstory before you perform is not helpful, but a B+ is fair.

19. JM says:

Trent just proved why I love Ryan Tedder and OneRepublic – That song is so hard to sing and yet, Ryan slays it.
    However, Trent most definitely deserved an ‘A’ for ‘Simple Man’. LaPorsha is the Queen yet again. And Mac surprised with his “Billie Jean’, and by surprised, I mean, I thought I was going to hate it, being the die-hard Cook fan that I am.
    The other two can go, but we all know Sonika will be gone next week–especially since she was the only one without a sob story.

20. Et al. says:

My god what is that thing in the picture? It looks like the eraserhead baby grown up.

21. DreamRose311 says:

I kinda need to hear Dalton sing ‘Every Me Every You’ from the Cruel Intentions soundtrack…

Really liked all but Sonika’s second songs tonight. As long as they’re the top 4, I’ll be happy with any of them winning

• Anna says:

Agree – Sonika got really, really shouty on Clarity and lost the melody. I think it was nerves.

• Smokey says:

Due to the voting nuances, the girls are always underdogs to the guys, to get votes,,,,,,,,whether they are better singers or not………………..

only 1 guy gone so far from top 10,— due to the double elimination —-where it was too big of a reach for the Judges to save him………………..

The only way Sonika will survive from this week, is if the majority of Tristan’s disenfranchised supporters, switch to her rather than quit voting or split in several directions to the others.

• rachel ray says:

Yes! THAT was the song..I knew it was Cruel Intentions..but could not remember the song..its by Placebo. I could hear it during this week’s performances..could see him doing that for sure. I really think Dalton’s voice is beginning to deepen…he hits a slightly lower register now and it almost seems at times he’s trying to stay in the higher one but his voice is fighting him on it. I went back to past Idol clips, have watched a fair amount of his pre-Idol videos… I def think its changing. What a crazy time for that to happen, right?

Anyhow, I could hear what it will be in the near future from his Sounds of Silence performance, and it will def be sweet and warm…while before he did not quite yet have that tone.

22. Lking says:

It must be kind of hard for these guys to sing in the shadow of Adam whose presence alone is epic but he always leaves it vocally on the floor, something that I’m not sure any of these guys are capable of. Js

• Timmah says:

Agreed. Even when he was on the show, Adam gave 100 percent every time. I feel like these contestants are giving it about 50 percent at most.

• Mary says:

There’s the difference between a professional and a newbie. Adam was 28 when he was on the show and active in musical theater. It is not fair to compare, these contestants are young and new to the game. I found that many that weren’t great on the show actually have grown into season performers.

• Jess says:

A lot of people can sing. AI has shown that. *But* I feel it takes leadership, maturity, hard work, dedication, confidence (that should actually be #1) to own a stage. Adam though also has great looks, stage presence (from his experience), and is current. Out of everyone I feel Trent has the maturity and dedication and only Trent.

• Timmah says:

It wasn’t just Adam who gave his all back in the day though. Almost all of them did because if they didn’t they knew that Simon was going to call them out on it. The contestants today are coddled by this lame group of judges. And they’ve all had plenty of chances by now to get used to performing live.

• Sally says:

Re: Adam — agree. He is a total superstar!! But I do think that LaPortia is up there in the pantheon of idol contestants.

23. Trent says:

Sonika’s Clarity < Trent's Counting Stars (IMO anyway)
    Trent's Simple Man should be at an A, and La'Porsha's No More Drama at least at an A-/A
    Sonika and Dalton were definitely worst in show overall though
    Mackenzie improved a lot from last week
    Wish Tristan all the best!

• Antonio Hall says:

Not nice .Sonika Vaid killed it tonight and her voice is Outstanding . Please vote for Sonika Vaid and let her be safe next week and make her win the last Season on American Idol 15. Clarity was Excellent and Let it go was Spectacular . I give her 1st song a A+ and her 2nd song I give her a A-/ B.

• Anna says:

Hi there, Sonika’s family member or deluded superfan. Listen, her voice is nice, but she’s not an American Idol, OK? You go right ahead and vote for her, though.

24. Will says:

Michael come on no more drama was one of my favorite ever performances on Idol. B+? Were you drunk tonight?

• Owen says:

No, I get it. The vocal was pristine.But she did a couple of very weird performance things that were distracting enough to not make it a perfect performance.

25. I’m disappointed that it’s the 15th and final season and I STILL haven’t heard anyone on American Idol sing a song by my favorite musical artist of all time, Mr. Elvis Costello! Last night I made a request at the Idol website (as this was Idol request week) and suggested that Dalton sing “Everyday I Write The Book.” Alas, no such luck…

26. Ronnie says:

What are you smoking tonight, Michael? A B+ for No More Drama? Don’t make open up all the libraries on you and read you into the middle of next week!!!

27. Clark says:

Please let’s make it a talent competition rather than pity parties. We all have had low times so let’s not try to win votes with tears and stories of woes.

• Owen says:

Weird, right? I didn’t need to know these things. Very personal. Now I’m worried about Dalton and heartsick if Sonika get’s kicked off next week. And the Lifetime TV movie “reenactment” during LaP’s testimony…??????

• Anna says:

Yes, in poor taste and disrespectful to her imo. Here’s your gut wrenching, soul baring moment with the woman in tears — now over to commercial! Are you not entertained??

• Emma says:

I can’t believe that someone with bipolar would go on a reality TV show, it’s seems very ill-advised to me. TBH I would have preferred not to know that!

• Shazza says:

Hmmm, I was thinking the same. It must be like being on a HUGE emotional roller coaster. I couldn’t cope with it without even having bipolar.

28. Alan Dvorkis says:

Mad World was resurrected in Donnie Darko. It was certainly known by many, not the Tears for Fears, but the Gary Jules Version. It was done earlier on Australian Idol and then again and brilliantly by Aiden Grimshaw on X F UK

29. Scout says:

MIchael, I love you like cooked food, but there is no way “No More Drama” was a B+. Seriously?

30. Rob says:

All I want in life is for Sonika to cover Sia’s Breathe Me for the Sia Week next week. As far as today’s show, the judges made the right call. Totally agree with Slezak that Trent’s Counting Stars was arguably his worst performance to date. And La’Porsha killed it as usual.

Finally, I just have to say I can not get enough of La’Porsha’s La’Baby. She’s SOO freaking adorable. I could literally watch two hours of her reacting to the show and be thoroughly entertained.

31. Sally says:

Wow — really? Mackenzie over LaPortia in round 2? Not sure what crank pill Slezak was on tonight. She was stellar. Trent was also amazing second time around — a solid A.

• Jonah says:

Hey I stand with Michael! MacKenzie at least mixes it up, makes vocal choices while LaPorsha dependably belts it out, throws in some runs. Her covers are loud and on key (which is nice) but not very interesting in terms of song interpretation. And points off for the caftans and such – If there’s a caftan on stage I want Quentin Alexander to be wearing it with some silvery ear chimes and switching up some light pop song into something eerie and mesmerizing lol

• MC says:

I think you and I are on the same page regarding LaPorsha. AI is leaving the air at the right time. I haven’t been excited about anyone since Angie Miller, Candice Glover and Jena Irene. It was a pretty good run for AI, but it’s time to put it to bed.

32. No, just no. Chester from Linkin Park is one of my fav singers. Chester hits those high notes like no one else. And it did not work for Dalton. I wanted him to do wicked game or a green day song. Go look at the live video from Linkin Park Numb and you will see the difference. All the live versions are pretty good.

33. Kris says:

“I can’t live in a world where I have to wait three or four days to watch my programs” …As a Canadian… I don’t understand what you mean by this? We get the same tv programming at the same time as you guys do in the States. Not sure where you are getting your info from Michael.

34. Gailer says:

Simply one of the worst final 5 of idol history

35. darcy's evil twin says:

I feel like we’ve gone from 24 contestants to 6 in about 15 minutes. I really detest this format and I detest the judges picking everything.
    But then again maybe we should let them choose the songs because America sure did a crappy job choosing songs, IMO. Why would anyone in the world choose anything by Linkin Park?
    Trent’s “Simple Man” was really good. It’s one of my husband’s favorite songs and he enjoyed the gospel choir treatment.
    The sob stories. Oy.
    Sure enjoyed hearing Adam Lambert again.

• Gailer says:

I detest pretty much of everything this season, it is no longer idol

• Smokey says:

When you cruise the I Tunes top 100 and hear the song samples and see the videos of what’s selling these days ——————————

it’s a pretty far reach to see any of the current contestants getting anywhere near into that ring. …………………………………………

Whoever wins the show will get a nice financial reward for this year and an album produced — but there is no bookend for Kelly Clarkson here, over the long-haul.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Except McKenzie and Dalton (if he had more talent).

• Smokey says:

IMO —- I seriously doubt if either one of them will ever hit the Billboard top 40 with any song, ever. ……………………..

Time will tell, but the cards are very heavily stacked against them in the business. Watch the top 100 itunes or billboard listings, and the young male artists succeeding are either rappers, very good vocalists or unique or real bad boys, not 80’s style bad boys, but “Not Safe For Work” types that the younger crowd is downloading on their devices. …………………………………………….

There are hundreds of similar talent level nice guys running around the edges of the business, some with some youtube followings, some had time on Idol, The Voice, Voice UK, Voice Australia, etc………………………………..

or some small independent Label trying to get radio play for them. ………………………. Even the last 3 Idol winners with exposure and promo….have had a tough time trying to get a presence in the top charts with anything…………………… And it’s already ordained that either Trent or LaPorsha will get the great expertise of Borchetta in making an album.

36. kevstar says:

Did I just see Woo from Survivor on a Ford ad? Weird.

37. Ross says:

With Olivia Rox gone, I don’t even want to watch the show.

• Gailer says:

I hope she pulls a Tori Kelly

• Smokey says:

Check-out some of Olivia’s appearances , for instance———————- :: “I Want To Know What Love Is” Warren Hill & Olivia Rox ” ————— Google her up ————

she was ill and made a bad song choice early in the top 10, but she’s going to be around in the business a long time. The Idol judges really show poor judgement sometimes as talent scouts or are nuts. Also check out Jessica Cabrals cover of “Hello”….. hollow cover || JESSIIICA on youtube …………….. kinda makes you wonder wth Idol is doing ..

38. Somebody says:

It was sort of sad to see the judges throw Tristan under the bus tonight. I thought it was one of her best performances in a while, and it actually /didn’t/ demonstrate much youthful inexperience. I understand why she wasn’t a favorite, and I’m not broken up about her going, because I kind of prefer Sonika better, anyway. But damn–they didn’t have to send Tristan off so cruelly.

• kevstar says:

Tristan was boring. Sorry, if you are a black girl singing country, at least sing it as good or better than the original singers.

• HTGR says:

They already knew the outcome and what they’d say before she sang so it was probably some comments going by early rehearsal. Notice how there were only five people at yoga. Tristan was missing. They already knew everything in advance.
      I wanted both her and Sonkia to stay.
      MacKenzie is a bit dull to me. Dalton isn’t always dull to me, sometimes it’s cool, but his vocal are becoming more limited and I don’t know I see them growing enough. Sure he can refine some things, both can, but you can see the limit bar there. Tristan doesn’t have those limits and when she’s fully comfortable with it all (Olivia too and perhaps Sonika) there seems to be way more upside.
      I actually would’ve sent MacKenzie home tonight (Dalton is more my music style and some of his performances are cool).

39. Marilyn Zacharakes says:

I would love to see Dalton sing April Wine’s, ” I’m on fire for you baby.
    Also would like to see LaPorsha preforme Tina Turner’s, “River deep Mountain high.
    ALSO WOULD REALLY REALLY LOVE FOR KEITH TO SING US A SONG. I’m 52 years old and always dreamed of playing the gutair and singing. One day when I can afford it I’m going to buy KEITH Urban’s guitar lessons.☺

40. Critter Ladouceur says:

WOW!!! LaPorsha you rocked the house with No More Drama. I feel way deep down you should be the next American Idol. Dalton you are so gothic and amazing along with country boy Trent. But LaPorsha you showed the last 3 weeks how you have what it takes. I’d like to hear you sing a Tina Turner song River Deep Mountain High. Best of luck to all. KEITH I HOPE YOU GET UP AND SING!!

41. I don’t get Mackenzie at all he is a lazy vocalist both performances were over rated. Wild World should never be sung again.. EVER. All of the judges were talking smack tonight, asleep at the wheel. Dalton and Mackenzie should be in the bottom 2 next week both of them just look like they can’t wait to get off the show. Sonic got a C? Slezak? really? You re as wrong about her as you were about Trent. Trent, LaPorsha, Sonika for the final.

• Meg says:

Glad to see at least someone agrees with me about Mackensie. His performances are just not exciting at all to me.

• Lars says:

Plus, didn’t he have a chance already on The Voice? Of all the contestants to get a do-over …. I don’t mean to be mean. I’m glad MacKenzie found music and I think that once he ages, he will be quite fetching. (Too skinny, awkward right now). But geez, he’s . . . ok. Kind of meh.

• Gailer says:

He was on the voice? He does seem familiar

• Lizzie says:

The retreads are boring, and I don’t like getting the Voice castoffs and giving them more airtime. Mackenzie seems like a nice guy, and I felt for him after hearing about losing his sports opportunities, but he’s not a strong enough voice. He may make a living as a singer, but there are others in that lane who do it a lot better. Candice Glover went 3 rounds trying to win Idol, and there’s a reason that people don’t make it into the competition and have a real chance at winning on their first round.

42. Ok…Trent did a decent job on Simple Man but I swear he was doing Shinedown’s version. Go check it out on youtube… he should’ve given them some credit

BTW I thought Adam was going to judge? I’m glad he got to sing but thought I would see more of him!

• Emma says:

Is it just me or was that interaction with him and Ryan, and the other singer, really awkward. The way they built up his return to the show I was expecting more too.

43. danin says:

The way I saw and heard performances tonight. 1st song) Trent-Nah. Dalton-4 out of 10. Laporsha-~~~ I like Indie’s version so much better.Mac-fuggetabout it.Tristan- Harry told her exactly what I was thinking. Sonika- I hate that song&changed the channel. 2nd song) Dalton better than his first but I gave him no grade.Mac-one of the best of the night and I want a little guitar like that.He really is a lightweight though. Trent-got a star for also being OE of the best of the night. I guess his voice lends itself to both R&B and country so he is more versatile in marketability. Sonika- pleasant voice and I changed the channel on her again. Lapo- I imagined Michael Skezak passing out of the earth’s orbit.I thought she was phenomenal, ate this song up out of a real place and created one of the most stupendous moments on Idol ever. I’ve been watching since season one.

44. John Penton says:

That was the most sickening display of judging i have ever seen. La’Porsha’s second round performance did not even come close to Trent’s performance of “Simple Man” or Mackenzie’s performance of “Billie Jean”. It is so obvious that they are grooming her to win. Jennifer Lopez made me sick tonight with all the crying and all that nonsense. like give me a break. Im not saying La’Porsha sucks or anything but come on. Dont even get me started on that sob story of hers they always talk about EVERY week.They are making her out to be Queen La’Porsha. They nit pick all the other finalist and never once do i recall her getting any criticism in any of her performances at all. To me that is not right.

• kevstar says:

This is the first time they mentioned anything about her being abused. What show have you been watching? La’Porsha has the top rating with TVLine readers, so clearly the judges aren’t the only ones digging on LaP.

• Debbie says:

I have to respectfully disagree with your statement. The lead in was almost the same lead in from a few weeks ago. It seems some of the same filming and almost exact wording. I detest physical abuse. I am also opposed to those back story lines for each contestant because the appeal should be the song itself, not feeling sorry for someone. It is obvious that AI has promoted La’Porsha above all the other contestants and if you review each episode it is clear that she is in many more promos that the other singers. There is little doubt to me that she will be in the final episode.

• Puchinsmom says:

LaPorsha has spoken about her abusive partner many times. I especially remember her bonding with Fantasia about it. And while I am not convinced that it’s entirely appropriate to be airing all that in that format, maybe hearing the story will inspire other women in her situation. Of course they don’t all have her amazing talent to fall back against!

45. I just kinda lost it watching LaPorsha at the end. I have been there with the abusive guy. It was years ago. But I had tears. Its like the song was her fight! Wow! Very emotional.

46. Jennifer Adms says:

Hearing No Drama reminded me of Joshua Ledet’s version which was awesome. I miss Joshua. I wish they would bring back Joshua and Melinda in the finale.

• Jess says:

Sadly b/c I thought Joshua Ledet was amazing (still can’t believe he wasn’t in finale that year) I couldn’t listen to La’Porsha tonight without comparing. And them boosting her up so much -no mention of Joshua made me mad. So I was irritated.

47. Yes Michael Slezak, A slow dreadful feeling comes over me thinking about Screamy Mc Orange Face. Please, Noooooooo.

48. It’s pretty obvious who American Idol wants to win. But can I say something about Harry. What in the hell is wrong with him? He sits there like a knot on a log all the time. Never claps. Never stands up. Nothing. He’s the total opposite of Jennifer and Keith. I have heard his explanation before as to why he doesn’t show some kind of excitement after a performance. But I still think it’s pretty ridiculous.

• darcy's evil twin says:

perhaps that’s just who he is. It isn’t necessarily bad. Just different than what you expect.

• Lizzie says:

If you had watched previous seasons, Harry has explained this, he says that he believes it is inappropriate for him to stand up and make a big thing after individual performances, because he is a judge and he doesn’t think it is appropriate. Keith can’t help himself, he’s so into the music itself. Harry does stand and applaud when a singer’s time is over on the show.

49. JB says:

My Rankings for tonight’s American Idol​:

1. LaPorsha “No More Drama”
    2. LaPorsha “Ready for Love”
    3. Trent “Simple Man”
    4. Sonika “Let It Go”
    5. Mackenzie “Billie Jean”
    6. Sonika “Clarity”
    7. Mackenzie “Wild World”
    8. Dalton “Sound of Silence”
    9. Tristan “Independence Day”
    10. Trent “Counting Stars”
    11. Dalton “Numb”

Predictions (with Tristan finally gone tonight)
    Bottom 2: Sonika, Dalton
    Going Home: Sonika (nooooo!!! I hope I’m wrong)

#AmericanIdol

50. Renee says:

What I really wanted to see was a duet between Adam, my favorite contestant of all time, and a certain red-headed backup singer. It breaks my heart a little that other former non-winning contestants have gotten featured this season and she’s got to watch it all up close, with not even a mention. And while we’re on the subject…Melinda Doolittle!!! Also, missing Avalon this week. She was better than at least 3 of the people ahead of her.

• christopher bee says:

THIS!

• Scarlett says:

YES! I was just about to make this comment. Have they not mentioned Allison Iraheta’s presence as backup singer at all? They just leave her standing there in the dust while her wonderful duet partner and fellow contestant from season 8 is back center-stage and basking in his well-deserved glory? C’mon! They couldn’t spare 5 minutes for her to sing (with or without Adam)? So awkward and obnoxious. Hollywood Reporter has an interview with her and how Ricky Minor brought her back for this season.

• Lana says:

Add me in – one of the greatest talents to ever appear on the show. I was really disappointed that they didn’t make time to have an Adam-Allison shout out or at least a wave to Allison. Somehow noting another Season 8 standout was I the house. After all she finished #3 behind Adam. (And yes you’ll never convince me otherwise! Lol). and halo circus is great!

• Lana, you’ll never convince me that she didn’t take second place behind Adam. (Or that Jena Irene won season 13. This show has not been kind to rocker queens – or black men who sing in any genre.)

• JayNC says:

Actually Allison finished 4th that year, behind Kris Allen, Adam, and Danny Gokey.