American Gods Laura Moon Emily Browning Cast

American Gods Casts Sucker Punch Star as Shadow Moon's Wife Laura

Well, look who the coin revived: Starz’s upcoming adaptation of American Gods has cast Australian actress Emily Browning in the key role of Laura Moon, the network announced Thursday.

In Neil Gaiman’s fantasy novel, Laura is the wife of Shadow Moon (played by The 100‘s Ricky Whittle), a convict who becomes bodyguard and traveling partner for a mysterious man named Mr. Wednesday (Deadwood‘s Ian McShane).

The official character description says that Laura “has been preparing for her husband’s pending prison release. Little does she know that she will go on an unexpected journey that leads her to an epiphany about her relationship and affords her a second chance to get things right.”

In a statement, Gaiman said he’s been a fan of Browning’s since she played Violet Baudelaire in the 2004 film A Series of Unfortunate Events. “She has a challenge ahead of her,” he added. “Laura is a tricky character, and the Laura on the screen is even trickier and more dangerous than the one on the page. She’s going to have a wonderful time bringing Laura to life.”

Per Starz, the Bryan Fuller/Michael Green-led series will begin production in April.

American Gods readers, what do you think of the casting? Tell us about it in the comments!

1. N says:

i like her too. shes a bit underrated.

2. Amy says:

Sooooooooooooooooooo excited. I adore Emily Browning and can’t wait to see American Gods now.

3. Mark D. Moss says:

I had missed the announcement of Ian McShane as Wednesday … that one is *brilliant*! Gaiman’s writing is *perfectly* suited the the kind of long, intricate treatment it’ll get as a cable series, and he’s a FREAKING GENIUS … so if he’s ok with the Whittle and Browning casting, who both seem a tad on the young side as I envisioned them, then who am I to grouse. Bottom line, I never wanted American Gods to end … so even the crack of an opening that we might get a continuation of the story as a Starz series progresses has me really *excited*. (The book has so many layers and tangents … do yourself a favor and read it before watching. Gaiman is a joy!)

• Isobel says:

he’s 34 she’s 27, I guess she’s maybe younger than she is in the book but 30-somethings was how I saw both of them personally. I like her as an actress so I don’t really mind.

4. ? says:

Wow, whoever’s in charge of casting for this series is really killing it. Spot on for all the roles so far. High hopes!

5. Michael Mario says:

I can’t wait! I LOVE this book and with a faithful adaptation with McShane leading, it has to be brilliant!

6. Tom says:

I would have gone a bit older but she’ll do quite nicely. I agree with everyone saying they’re killing the casting.

Anna Camp as Media? Can that happen?