Grey's Anatomy's Jerrika Hinton Nabs Lead in Shondaland Comedy Pilot

The doctor is… possibly out?

Grey’s Anatomy‘s Jerrika Hinton has been cast as the female lead opposite New Zealand import Jono Kenyon in the Shondaland pilot Toast.

With Scandal‘s Scott Foley and Alias alum Greg Grunberg as writer/executive producers, this potential comedy follows a wedding rehearsal dinner where the toasts made by an eclectic assortment of friends and family are illustrated by far-more-truthful flashbacks. Hinton portrays Page, the soon-to-be-bride.

The project reunites Hinton with Grey’s alumni Tessa Ferrer, who co-stars as the groom’s Texas tomboy BFF.

As first reported by our sister site Deadline, there are no immediate plans to scale back Hinton’s role on Grey’s, where she has served as a series regular since Season 10. Should the pilot go to series, she may continue on the medical soap in a reduced capacity in Season 13.

Thoughts on Hinton’s casting and a potentially diminished role on Grey’s? Sound off in the comments.

1. Beep says:

She never contributed anything to GA at all, plays a boring character with no substance. Hope she leaves GA for good. She won’t be missed.

• ? says:

Only reason Tessa Ferrer got canned with Gaius Charles instead of Jerrika is because Shonda didn’t want to cut both of the black interns at the same time. True story, believe me or don’t, I don’t care.

• NM says:

That’s just ignorant.
        Provide some evidence of that fact.
        It most likely wasn’t a money issue given back then there were 15 cast members and there are now 16. However, my understanding would be that Gauis and Tessa were just the two most un-received interns when one was a burnout and the other was hated by every character for a sexual harassment claim.

• Anna says:

Lolz I love when people just make something up and provide no evidence to their claims, but wrap up the statement with a dare not to believe them. Don’t worry hon – whether or not you care, no one believes you.

• liame says:

Ok, if this is true, I don’t see a problem. She’s not the first show to have done that and she won’t be the last. True Story!

• liame says:

That’s because you don’t like her period. I on the other hand love her and enjoy watching her character. She’s smart, cute, funny and a great asset to the show.

2. AD says:

How much more reduced capacity can she be in? It’s sad. I had finally started liking her now after the whole Stephanie-Jackson debacle & was hoping for a more substantial SL for her.

3. jph_gsg says:

Doubt Grey’s has anything to worry about. The concept of this show sounds a lot like that Mixology(?) show from a few years ago, where every episode followed a different person over one night at a bar. Doesn’t seem sustainable.

4. Hurley says:

I’ve come a long way to liking Stephanie, and now SHE’S LEAVING? She’s the new Bailey!

• tvjunkie says:

She’s still pretty unlikable

• NM says:

I disagree. She was thrown together with Jackson to simply give them a storyline, which fans hated given the ‘Japril’ drama. Otherwise, since her break-up with Jackson, growth and development of a great surgeon (unlike Jo or Ben) and her mentor relationship with Amelia, I think she’s one of the best characters going.

• Anna says:

Really? I actually quite enjoy her character now – she’s much more likeable than the only other person from her original intern class, Jo, who has evolved into a whiny, bratty mess. But Steph’s personal and professional evolution over the past two seasons has been quite intriguing. At least to me and my friends.

5. Whatevah says:

From the picture I was hoping Jo was gone. :( oh well..

6. Alvaro says:

That show sounds awful.

7. EM says:

Doesn’t mean pilot will get picked up. Doesn’t sound all that interesting.

8. Marcie says:

So, then, how is this a Grey’s “shake-up?”

9. Kaitlin says:

But I finally like Stephanie! I hope she stays on Greys.

10. Dominique says:

it would be sad to see her go. she’s the most interesting of the new interns.

11. gina says:

She won’t be missed at all her charather in GA is useless and don’t have poupose

12. Gospino says:

I couldn’t even remember who she is on Grey’s, so… Good luck with the new show! Frankly, she got little character development on Grey’s.

13. Jovana says:

I hope she leaves and takes Jo, Ben, Maggie and Deluca with her. Grey’s needs to cut some of the regulars, the cast is way too big for anyone to have a decent storyline.

• NM says:

I’d prefer to keep the diverse and the quality of the cast around.
      A decent storyline for cast members is possible. It’s just about them utilising them appropriately rather than a two second “hi” before not seeing for a few episodes. An example of those off the top of my head would be Richard, Jackson, Bailey, Owen. However, it’s about keeping it mind that everyone won’t be around in 2 or 3 years from now and having characters people are familiar with roots in the show.

• Jamie says:

No, not Maggie! She’s my favorite addition to the show in the past 5 years. If they cut anyone, it needs to be Arizona. What a freaking annoying character.

14. Serly says:

“The project reunites Hinton with Grey’s alumni Tessa Ferrer…” Uh, Tessa Ferrer is an alumna (female, singular), not an alumni (plural).

15. Jake says:

Here’s hoping Shonda plans a big finale, and can get rid of extra baggage.

16. Mak says:

Honestly how many seasons can a show called Toasts sustain…the premise is so limiting…have they learnt nothing from A-Z, Manhattan love story & Marry Me.

17. robandco says:

Stephanie is what Jo should have been, aka strong, determined and she completely kicks butt. I love her character. I hope she can juggle both.
    But can we talk about that TERRIBLE pilot synopsis? I feel like it’s not meant to stay the distance and the title will be obsolete 2 episodes in. Unless they can pull off a HIMYM and make the whole thing last 22 episodes, but I fear it is what turned a lot of people off HIMYM’s last season…

18. Ben says:

Apparently Shonda loves us Kiwi blokes.

19. Matt C. says:

Grey’s could definitely benefit from losing a few regulars. I do actually like Stephanie, but still.

20. Andrew Hass says:

I’m wondering if she might be put on recurring status on Grey’s instead of been a regular.Plus that way it frees up money for the show too.

21. Ange says:

Good for her. I hope it works out.

22. Stacy says:

The pilot sounds like it will get old, and fast.

23. Ashly says:

I’m glad for Jerrika. She does the comedic bits well on Grey’s so I think this could be a potentially good move for her (if the pilot doesn’t stink). Her character on Grey’s had a lot of potential, but putting her in a relationship with Jackson backfired. As a fan of Jackson/April, I did not care for her at all in season 9. It’s only this season that I started caring about her character.

24. Mike Lampson says:

Jono Kenyon is great on his show Step-Dave from NZ. I hope he makes it big over here. Very exciting. And Jerrika has been one of the best characters on Greys out of the newbie doctors.

25. Anthony says:

I won’t misss her either. Think she is a lack lustre character!!..