NCIS Recap: A Perfect 300? Plus, Who Is Planning a Major Life Change?

CBS’ NCIS marked 300 episodes — a remarkable feat in today’s TV age — with an episode that was a bit quiet but nonetheless powerful.

Setting the stage for the emotionally moving hour was the murder of two vacationing Americans in Iraq via a next-gen long-distance sniper rifle — the same weapon believed destroyed, yet actually captured, during an ambush on a group of Special Ops snipers months earlier.

The sole survivor of said ambush, Marine Gunnery Sergeant Aaron Davis (Private Practice‘s Taye Diggs), is suffering from PTSS at Walter Reed when Gibbs seeks him out to possibly shed insight on the weapon’s thief. Davis, though, cannot and will not think back to that traumatic experience, wherein he was left for dead, immobile and unprotected, for 30 minutes in hostile territory. Rather, he curtly shows Gibbs the door.

Eventually, in part due to Gibbs’ nudging — at the bequest of Dr. Confalone, who aimed to “kill two birds with one stone” by having the troubled Marines talk to each other — but also because of the daughter he’d kept at arm’s length, Davis lets down his defenses and recalls enough intel to help point Gibbs’ team in the right direction, finding a camera that recorded the ambush and this identifying the sniper. It was then a massive waiting game, outside a Virginia air strip, wondering whom the sniper would try to shoot out of the sky and when. Dealing with his own ghosts (as well as insomnia), Gibbs embedded himself deep in the brush and spied/gunned down the shooter just moments before he might cause an international incident by killing a Saudi oil baron.

In the aftermath of the successful op, Davis joined up with the MusiCorps rehab program at Walter Reed, delivering a soulful rendition of “Hallelujah” over the closing montage, where we learn that McGee is ready to put a ring on it with Delilah, and even more significantly, Gibbs is able to retire his busted couch-for-a-bed and finally return to the bedroom he long ago shared with Abby Shannon.

What did you think of Episode 300, guest star Taye Diggs and the personal developments for both Gibbs and McGee?

1. mogie428 says:

Read “Abby” and didn’t even blink. Darby, Shannon, Abby, Deep-Fried Twinkie. It all works.

Understated but wonderful episode. Nice incorporation of MusiCorps.

2. Mr. Tran K says:

I give it an A. One of the best milestone episodes in recent years. Here’s to another 300 for NCIS – the #1 show in the world. BTW, Taye Diggs should get nominated for POTW.

3. Dawn says:

Didn’t get to see it because our local CBS channel aired weather threats through the whole show!:-(
    Channel 4 quadcities Iowa

4. Paige says:

Outstanding, moving episode. The actors, writers and crew should be very proud of this episode. It’s what #300 should be, honoring the military. Bravo!!

5. Ralph Mills says:

Good review from Mr. Mitovich until the last sentence. Don’t put all the onus on # 1 Shannon Fielding. In addition to the Abby gaff are we to assume that Gibbs has spent marriages 2 [Diane Sterling], 3 [Rebecca Chase], and 4 [Stephanie Flynn] on that sofa instead of in the bedroom with three great looking red-heads? There may be another [albeit graying] red-head yet to be seen in Jethro’s future. Looking forward to episodes 400… 500 … 600 …

6. dlraetz says:

I loved everything but the psychologist trying to shrink Gibbs. I’m tired of this season trying to get him to talk

• dlraetz says:

Gibb’s talking to Taye perfect. Gibb’s learning from Taye caused me to cry. But the season long theme of Gibb’s needing to talk is just wrong. Gibb’s finds the words, his peace and his family through the cases–not sitting in an office with an ex-prostitute

7. Mommaknowsbest says:

I know I’m being too picky but here goes: I would’ve like to have seen Abby and Bishop included in the final scenes – either riding bikes with the guys to go eat dinner, or maybe going bowling together. They shouldn’t have been left out though.

Resume your previous conversations.

8. Recycle says:

I wish every episode could be a milestone because hot damn did they all bring their A-game on this one.

And to finish with a rendition of Hallelujah…COME ON!!!

9. Sherry says:

Who was the female doctor at the hospital

10. Steve F. says:

Damn… could Taye Diggs sing, or what? That rendition of “Hallelujah”‘was beautiful.

Loved the scene with the crew going on a motorcycle ride (liked Vance’s motorcycle helmet), and Gibbs finally going to his and Shannon’s bedroom was moving.

• dlraetz says:

If that version of Hallelujah goes up on iTunes it’s going in my playlist along with KT Lang’s version (my personal fav)

11. Al says:

I’ve been a fan since Gibbs first appeared on JAG. Never missed an episode. This episode ranks as one of THE best. That’s saying something since there have been so many outstanding episodes. Powerful, emotional and inspirational! Excellent 300th, historic episode.

12. zagsfan says:

I thought it was great! Miles ahead of #200. Taye Diggs was so believable in his role. I sure would have liked to hear him sing more, though. It’s so great to see the progress Gibbs is making. Double Caff Posts for Abby! And the biker gang – perfect.

13. Marguerite Petrizzi says:

I really enjoyed the episode. Just so well done.

I really loved Taye Diggs’ rendition of “Hallelujah”. I wonder if anyone else remembers when Mark Harmon was on West Wing. His character was killed and Jeff Buckley’s rendition of it played in the background. Hearing it tonight made me think of that moment because I also had tears in my eyes.

14. Nancy says:

I have been watching since the beginning and before. JAG for 10 years but NCIS for 13 this was by far the best episode ever. The significance of the ending was monumental. I LOVE this show.

15. Deb Bushnell says:

My husband and I have watched NCIS since the beginning. We are both very disappointed that Michael Weatherly has decided to leave the show! He was our very favorite character, no offense to the others, but he really made us laugh! Please don’t kill him off in case he wants to return! Thank you!

• vicki says:

I agree really going to miss him. But the whole cast is good. But yes Tony made you laugh so good looking too!!

16. BM says:

Loved this one. Thought it was leaps and bounds better than the 200! Great ending, too.

17. leo says:

300 and the quality is still there wihile other series struggle to keep storylines fresh at a mere 150 or so.

18. Byrdi says:

Really good episode tonight. Missed the first 10 or 12 minutes or so but husband filled me in during the commercial. Would like to see it from the beginning. This show gave me this idea… Too bad they won’t try working a former Sailor or Marine into the show as a new agent.

19. lhp says:

it was a good show tonight loved it all

20. Jean Elmore says:

Still the best show on TV. Wonderful use of the MusiCorps and our soldiers. Taye Diggs will fit in great. Perfect that Gibbs is getting some closure.

21. Anne Cosper says:

Gibbs going into that room and laying down in that bed was one of the most powerful moments of this whole series. It didn’t need dialogue. Just his facial expressions – first uncertainty mixed with a little trepidation, then a little determination to just do it – and then resignation and peace. Powerful stuff. Sleep Well, Jethro. You’ve earned it!

22. Alisha Pounds says:

Annoying with the music covering up convesations.

23. ahyuppah says:

I commend the show cast, wtiters And all involved in creating the Show and especially this Episode. It is real, thought prevoking, and more over heartfelt. It touch me at home with respect to the coversation between Gibbs & Diggs. Where as Diggs states he has been an empty version of who he was ,and needs to try and find a way to be Who He IS Now! So true for me and Im sure others. I also would just add that It was sad to see Cote leave and it is gonna be sadder to see Micheal depart. The great show that has been given to the viewers/fans has continually been exceptional even with the changes in characters. Bless all of you😄 Sincerely, Jessi Jones

24. Personally, if we make it long enough, I’d love to see the Davis’ daughter back as a newly minted agent, her attention to detail was amazing, and I think it might be a fun!

• Patricia Lee says:

I thought that too! She would make a great agent. Maybe they can bring her in as an intern. The character is just 16, so they’ll need to age her fast, or it may turn out she is like the Scorpion geniuses and way ahead in school.

25. Mallory says:

This was a beautiful episode. Further proof that well-established shows don’t need to fill their big number episodes with explosions or life-altering cliffhangers to be successful. This story was beatiful and poignant. Well done, NCIS!!

p.s. Matt, I don’t get the “Abby” gaffe…help a gal out please! lol

26. This show just continues to get better and better.

27. bearpitt says:

I try and I try, but the show doesn’t do it for me anymore. The Hollywood gun stories are always lame. The desert in Iraq doesn’t have telephone lines like it showed at the beginning of the episode.
    I will watch until Tony leaves and then I will too.

• Recycle says:

So you have been trying and trying for nearly 13 years, and your complain about this episode is the few seconds they showed telephone lines in a setting that is meant to portray an Iraqi desert when obviously they DID NOT ACTUALLY SHOOT in Iraq?

And what the hell are “hollywood gun stories”?

• Jerri says:

You want realism, turn off the TV and go outside.

28. vicki says:

I cried it was a very touching episode. Love the whole cast all are great in their part. Going to miss Tony so bad I just love him. Glad Robert Wagner is in next weeks show love him also. Taye I liked him from TV show Private Practice. He will be good n the show as a regular but no one can replace Tony he’s one of a kind!!!!!

29. Paige says:

Matt asked about Taye Diggs and personal development for McGee. I think Taye Diggs did an amazing job and brought a lot to this special episode.

McGee’s “personal developments” were not a big deal for me as I feel his biggest personal development with the relationship came when he committed himself to Delilah following the Parsa bombing that left her paralyzed and in a wheelchair.

30. Jennifer says:

When Taye Diggs started signing Hallelujah, i about lost it. Then Gibbs on the bed, i was a goner. One of the best episodes in a long time (and I love them all). Can we bring Taye back? Please?

31. PJ says:

So very emotional. I still have tears in my eyes from it all. Thank you to the writers for bringing to attention the sacrifices that our military personnel make to keep our country free. To the actors of NCIS.. You are the best!!!

32. Paula Emmett says:

Best show on TV, cannot imagine Michael Weatherly leaving! It was awful when Cote Dr Pablo left. I Love every actor on the show!!!!!!

33. Georgena says:

In returning from Tango class even though NCIS was half over, I was immediately pulled into the vortex of grief so tangible in this 300th episode. The Raw grief that Marine Gunnery Sargent Aaron Davis felt as he attempted to live with the man he used to be but was no longer was debilitating. The Fragile Grief Gibbs felt because his wife had passed was palpable. Mourning her memory he chose sleeping on his-busted couch-for a bed. His face as MusiCorps delivered a soulful rendition of “Hallelujah” was the face of deep grief. I am so grateful to writers Gina Montreal and Gary Glasberg for showing us that we can move through grief as Marine Davis portrayed when he became a member of MusiCorps. Each of us can find our way. Their ending of Gibbs choosing self-care (re-turn-ing to sleeping in their bed once again) is truly an example that we honor those we love by re-turn-ing to life one brave choice at a time. This has so inspired me, I will be posting a video later today with my deepest gratitude to these writers, Aurthur Bloom and MusiCorps. Georgena, Author of A New Mourning: Discovering the Gifts in Grief.

34. Theresa L Sneed says:

cried this was so good.

35. Lucy Dewey says:

One of the very best things about NCIS is that the people grow and evolve just like the rest of us. That final scene with Gibbs was very powerful.

36. Patti says:

Just wondering if Taye Diggs is replacing Michael Weatherly.

37. LAR says:

Beautifully acted. Loved this episode….actually, I just plain love this show. But this episode was just superb.

38. Pat says:

I loved it and gave it an awesome. Taye Diggs was fantastic and I just wish they would make him a regular, on the show.

39. Halaujuia had me in tears..Great episode NCIS IS THE BEST!!

40. This is our favorite TV show!

41. murray cowan says:

going to miss weatherly did we just see the new member of the NCIS team in that episode she played the daughter of that wounded marine maybe???

42. Shirley Dorn says:

Learned about MusicCorps–loved it! Worthy of being #300 for my favorite show

43. Taye Diggs was wonderful as was the young woman playing his daughter. I would like to see more of Tye Diggs and the daughter as friends of Gibbs.
    Great episode I’m even beginning to accept Ziva’s replacement!

44. Mel Pollard says:

This was absolutely amazing..and i have watched them all. A1 parts for all! Taye Diggs singing my favorite song like he did gave me goose bumps..and Gibbs finding some piece…no words. All the other messages…percussion instrument for Abbes..ring for McGee . Cycle ride for them 4 of them and seeing what love mreally is for Emily. Love the show. Beg Tony not to go. Please. Thanks for all of you doing the show. I will be donating to MusiCorps. Had no idea they existed 😍😍

45. Billie Jean says:

First time I saw Taye Diggs was in a movie called ”Cake”. I was really impressed with his acting ability. I feel that he will be a wonderful asset to NCIS.

46. Mary Bucklew says:

I dont know if it is age or plot contrivance or what, but Mark Harmon looks so much older and more gaunt than he did just two years ago, can’t help wondering if hiring all these new additions is setting the stage for a Harmon exit or reduced role. Is Mark Harmon well or just busy and getting older?

47. Fred Torres says:

I have been watching NCIS since “JAG”. I must say, this was the most moving episode ever!.

48. Rick says:

Truly great episode, another reason NCIS is one the best TV shows ever made. The writers keep coming up with awesome episode after awesome episode. Taye Diggs and MusicCorps very special.

49. Bob Minkiewicz says:

Ncis is getting even better. Keep up the great work.

50. Mary Glasser says:

It’s the best show on T.V. I watch it all the time plus watch the reruns over and over again. I just love everyone on there. I hated to when the ones that left. But enjoying the new ones that came aboard. The show is awesome!!!!!