Post Mortems
Agents of SHIELD Hive Goo

S.H.I.E.L.D. Team Shares the 'Goo' Story Behind That Scene, Teases 'Rip-Roaring Adventure' for Bobbi/Hunter

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. this Tuesday left viewers with quite a curious eyeful, in the form of a butt-naked Being FKA Grant Ward dripping wet with… honey?

At least, “honey” is what the cast and creatives were calling the stuff used to coat the unclothed Brett Dalton, for the closing scene that teased Hive’s mysterious “consumption” (?) of five human sacrifices. Despite having been given a heads-up weeks in advance (to get in the best shape possible), “Brett actually did not have a good time,” showrunner Maurissa Tancharoen reports. agents-of-shield-hive-goo“We promised that the goo was going to be slightly warm, and we attempted to warm it, but after a while it got… a little cold.”

Executive producer Jeffrey Bell says the tactile moment was in part inspired by a photographer’s online portraits of people and babies covered in honey. “We thought, ‘This is kind of like a birth, and we should do that for [Hive].’ But we didn’t take the [temperature] into consideration!”

Says Dalton himself, “I was all for it — ‘Put me in, coach! Let’s do another!’ And all through the day they were telling me how they’re warming up this goo.” But not only was the end product cold, “It got everywhere you imagine goo could go,” the actor confirms. “This was as close to a nightmare as I’ve had on this set!”

As for what exactly Hive did with the quintet of humans to wind up looking jacked yet gelatinous, Bell will only say, “That will be laid out” in a future episode.

The episode’s very final, “bonus” scene, meanwhile, revealed that a curiously incommunicado Bobbi and Hunter had gone rogue and stowed away in “the belly of the beast,” as in the jet on which Gideon Malick escaped with a Russian compatriot from the symposium on Inhuman treatment.

“Hunter prefers it when he’s not working under the jurisdiction of S.H.I.E.L.D.,” says portrayer Nick Blood, “and this is an opportunity where they’re on their own, where they can put their phones on airplane mode and make up their own rules.

“And when they are on their own together,” the actor continues, “you see how they compliment each other.” So much so that they’re most wanted for a spinoff, one might say.

The S.H.I.E.L.D. team is tight-lipped on the timetable for whatever it is that might set the stage for Marvel’s Most Wanted, while Tancharoen will only say of Bobbi and Hunter’s next move, embedded there under Malick’s nose, is that it will be a “rip-roaring adventure.” (With reporting by Scott Huver)

What did you think of the episode “Inside Man,” including the brewing debate about a possible “cure” and Daisy and Lincoln’s hook-up?

1. Dee says:

An interesting enough episode. I didn’t suspect who the mole was. I am not feeling the Daisy-Lincoln hook up–not much chemistry there. I feel like the show is forcing it.

• Hipper says:

I KNOW! I mean, even Lincoln and Simmons had more chemistry in their brief scenes together.

• tvjunkie says:

I think Daisy would have trouble having chemistry with a cute little puppy, so theres really no hope with a human or inhuman

• laurelnev says:

Love Daisy…but I’m finding her and Lincoln a little boring. I saw a LOT more Daisy/Lash chemistry, and the whole being attracted to your Mentor’s Man thing would add a real interesting angle.

2. Mary says:

What Ward/Hive did reminded me of Jasmine on Angel, so Jed was borrowing from Joss.

3. ? says:

So now they’re making everyone racist against the Inhumans, so they may as well just be mutants, except Marvel doesn’t have the rights. Hooray corporate bickering.

• Ash says:

You do realize people were afraid/racist towards inhumane in the comics, right? Why else would they have had a secret base in the Hymalias and eventually on the moon. The leader of the inhumans, blackbolt, could potentially level city with his voice. So bottom inhumane are feared in the comics. The difference is unlike the x-men, the gave up on humanity and isolated themselves.

4. Unknown says:

As much as I understand daisy ‘s point of view I’m like you have been an inhuman for five minutes I think Lincoln would no more about being one then you and some ppl might want that choice they both make good points but sometimes I’m like daisy you have to let people process this it’s all new to everyone but i still get everyone’s point of view

• Ash says:

It is like Daisy has forgotten what she went through when she got her powers. Her bones constantly fracturing, being in constant pain, and fear of what was happening to her.

• Unknown says:

Agreed and she seems to forget that not all inhumans look human some people might not want to take that chance that they would come out looking different nobody is saying she and the others can’t be proud of what they are but she should realize that some has it harder and gave up a lot more then her

5. Lore says:

Im disappointed, Daisy and Lincoln having sex, and not earthquakes, or lights going crazy!! Come on, they could not be that zen to lose the control a little

• Lucia says:

I thought the same!! Plus how funny (and a bit sad) would be for de base to start trembling and Fitz sort of realizing what was going on!!!! Golden oportunity misted

6. laurelnev says:

My favorite line of the night: “I’m getting bored…cover me,” (fling).

LOVED the “off bus” scenes, but I have to agree that Lincoln and Daisy are just boring Zombie Ward was cool for a while, but I’m glad to see they’re moving past that phase. What a gruesome, goosome transition!

But they are seriously under-using May this season. Lucky she was there to swoop in and save the whole mission. I’m still waiting for the day Fury shows up to surreptitiously inform Coulson that he’s really been working for May all along. ;)