NCIS Episode 300 Preview

NCIS: 'Beautiful' Taye Diggs, Music and Finale Seeds Add Up to Episode 300

Some real-lfe heroes, coupled with a “beautiful” turn by guest star Taye Diggs, will help CBS’ NCIS mark 300 episodes.

In the milestone hour, titled “Scope” and airing Tuesday at 8/7, Gibbs’ team re-examines an ambush on a group of Special Ops snipers in Iraq after an American couple is attacked in the same area six months later. When Gibbs discovers he needs the account of the lone survivor, Marine Gunnery Sergeant Aaron Davis (played by Diggs), he tries to connect with the wounded warrior who is being treated for PTSS at Walter Reed Medical Center.

Specifically, Sgt. Davis is part of the MusiCorps rehabilitation program, setting the stage for a special, musically tinged hour (in which the MusiCorps band itself performs).

Pegging a story to MusiCorps “is something we’ve been talking about for a while,” says showrunner Gary Glasberg, who penned No. 300 with executive story editor Gina Monreal. “Gina brought this organization to my attention, and it’s really amazing what they do, so we’ve been talking about doing a storyline that was sort of focused on them and a character working with them. And as we got closer to 300, knowing the elements that we write to include in a special episode like this, where we want something for everyone — the action and suspense and the humor that we usually try to deliver — and to have a patriotic emotional core to it as well, this seemed right.”

Of course, the NCIS boss set quite a high bar to clear in casting Sgt. Davis, seeing as he’d need an actor with not just gravitas but considerable musical talent as well. Enter Diggs, a veteran of numerous Broadway shows (as well as TV’s Private Practice and now Murder in the First).

“We knew that we needed somebody with some real musical chops, and when Taye read the script, he was eager to come do this with us,” says Glasberg. “And we were super lucky to get him, because he does some really, really beautiful scenes with [Mark] Harmon.”NCIS Episode 300 Preview

As Gibbs gets to know the recovering sniper, it will touch upon issues the NCIS team leader has himself been contending with, ever since getting shot in the Season 12 finale. “It definitely delves into some of the psychological stuff that he’s been wrestling with all season, that started with Jon Cryer (as Dr. Cyril Taft) and continues with Laura San Giacamo (as therapist Dr. Grace Confalone),” Glasberg previews. “Gibbs learns some things about himself along the way.”

Not to worry, the team at large — DiNozzo, McGee, Bishop et al — will get pulled into the “significant case” at hand, as it is discovered that Davis’ sniper rifle has been stolen. “Everybody gets a piece of the pie, and there are some fun, unexpected, juicy tidbits that will be in there,” the EP teases. “We tried to make the 300th as entertaining as possible, and there are a couple of things here and there that will be seeding us toward the end of the season as well.”

The only thing perhaps missing are any “hidden 300s” for viewers so spy, to very specifically honor the landmark hour. “You mean like at Disneyland, looking for Mickeys? No,” Glasberg says, laughing at the suggestion. “But there are definitely some little ‘cookies’ in there that I think people will enjoy.”

Want more scoop on NCIS, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Darlene says:

Me and my Kleenex are looking forward to this episode. Taye Diggs. Yes! Learning more about MusiCorps. Yes! I think this is going to be great NCIS. 300 Episodes. Such a milestone!

2. Kim R says:

Very much looking forward to #300.

3. John NYC says:

Ever since J. A. G. that show lineage has handled these type of productions extremely well. Rabb at The Wall comes to mind amongst any number of others.

• grys03 says:

Now that you mention Rabb, wouldn’t mind seeing him in arc on NCIS. Love it when shows pull their universes together – must be the comic book nerd in me

• MMD says:

I avoid the comic book shows like the plague but I would love to see what Rabb, Catherine and the rest of the characters are up to. It was a sad day for me when they cancelled JAG and a revisit of some type would be so nice.

4. Helen Jourde says:

I’m so looking forward to seeing this episode!

5. Anne Lyons says:

BEST SHOW ON TV!!!!!! HATE IN TONY, REALLY LOVE HIS CHARACTER

6. Jackie L says:

I have loved NCIS since I saw the first episode. I also love the spin-off NCIS-LA. I am sorry to see Micheal Wearherly leave but I am confident upon seeing this New character to fill the gap.

7. Susan says:

Will really miss Tony! what a great asset he has been to this show. Wish him the very best in the future in any endeavor he pursues. May God bless.

8. MMD says:

Can’t wait. Way back in the dark ages when JAG was the airing I haven’t missed an episode ot or any of the spin-offs. The only misstep was with the ill conceived NCIS Red.

I’m sure that this will be a very memorable episode especially with the musical aspect and Taye Diggs will do a terrific job.

9. Oscar Garcia says:

I now have found the reason for me to stop watching NCIS just like I stopped watching NCIS L.A. and NCIS New Orleans. Thank you for all of those wonderful years, but times are a-changing. Best of luck,

Oscar

10. donnajc51 says:

Really enjoyed tonight’s program. It was very touching and made me cry. Keep making good shows!👍

11. bill says:

What sniper rifle was used I epasode 300. By sniper that was killed

12. Kurt Baumgartner says:

Saw the episode – song at end – “hallelujah” was the same song sung at the end of the West Wing episode where FBI agent played by Mark Harmon was killed.

13. kitch says:

would love to have access to show others the musical ending with Taye – Alleluia
    cannot locate on youtube.

14. Rebecca Leach says:

OMG!!! I think im in love!!! who knew Taye diggs had such a beautiful voice,huh? I was totally blown away!!! just wow!!! this was a beautifully done episode and it really touched my heart. job well done guys…….

15. Leo says:

300 episodes and the writers at NCIS still know how to put a lump in your throat, powerful writing, powerful execution. Gibbs laying down on his and Shannon’s bed for the first time in fourteen years, is emotionally gripping. Now will they bing Holly Snow back into his life.

16. Wanda says:

Taye Diggs kills “hallelujah ” I actually have orginal by Rufus Wainwright but Taya’s voice is spectacular
    Someone new to twitter follow

17. Jan Manke says:

I have been watching NCIS since the beginning and it”s my favorite program. I think this week’s episode with Taye Diggs was the best ever! It was very moving and the song Taye sang at the end was beautiful. Well done!

18. A C Harden says: