Switched at Birth Cancelled

Switched at Birth to End After Season 5

Switched at Birth is being switched off.

Freeform has confirmed that the upcoming Season 5, which includes the milestone 100th episode, will be the final season for the Peabody Award-winning series. The 10-episode season will conclude with a special 90-minute episode.

Series creator Lizzy Weiss made the announcement Friday evening on Twitter:

Switched at Birth premiered in June 2011 to 3.3 million total viewers and a 1.3 demo rating. The Season 4 finale drew 840,000 viewers and a 0.4 rating.

Will you miss the family drama, or is the time right to say goodbye?

1. 5 seasons and 100+ episodes is a great accomplishment. I’ll miss them. I’ll really miss the ASL. Hope to see other shows using this in the future.

• Jeannesha Stfort says:

Can you please go on Twitter and post something nice about Switched at Birth with the hashtag #SwitchedatBirthforever

2. steven says:

Yeah, pretty much every long running show on Freeform that’s not Pretty Little Liars will end after 5 seasons.

3. BrightLight says:

Aww! =( I’ll definitely miss this show but at least I will know going into this season that it is ending. I’m just happy the show got to stay on this long. Here’s hoping that everyone in the Kennish and Vasquez households has a happily ever after.

4. I’ll miss Switched at Birth. I would have liked to have seen it continue for several more years. I especially love the character of Emmett and wish he could have his own spinoff. In fact, I love all of the Deaf characters on the show and want to see more of their story and that beautiful ASL.

5. Patricia Field says:

I will miss this show immensely because it had someone that was disabled in it. I am a disabled person also. My sister got me hooked on this show it is very sad that it us going off air. I hope that they will change there mind after all the comments about it’s leaving.

6. Martim says:

I’ll just wait until The Fosters get cancelled and then I’m done with Freeform, for good.

• Sarah says:

I agree, I’ll be doing the same thing

• Eran says:

Why? Because the pool of talented writers, actors and original ideas will officially have dried after these two series will have ended? Honestly, I find such “done with this network!” comments mind boggling.

• Tee says:

I have to admit that the same will likely be true for me. I don’t have cable, and use the app to watch on my tablet, so I’m not exposed to all of the commercials–except for Recovery Road, or whatever it’s called, which I assume has a bratty main character, that, as a 37 year old, I just don’t care to anchor me to a show.

Once the Fosters is over, I won’t have anything else to watch, as nothing else on Freeform interests me. Unless there is some very compelling pilot that comes out in the next few months during Switched at Birth’s final season, I don’t find myself getting into another show. The Fosters is already starting to teeter, but I feel that I’ve invested this much time into the drama of that family, that I might as well see it to the end.

• iesha washington says:

Have you seen Recovery Road or Shadow Hunters those are two great new shows on Freeform.

• Sabrina says:

Shadow hunters is the worst show ever! The actors are mediocre at best. That show should be canceled before switched at birth. Abc is notorious for canceling shows though and leaving people hanging.

7. 5654funny says:

If switched at ends with a 5th season I’m no longer watching switch at birth

Switched At Birth better be renewed for a sixth season

8. Jen VanNevel says:

So unbelievably saddened by this news!! We LOVE this show. It’s my ultimate favorite show of all time. My 13 year old daughter and I have been watching from the start. I am in love with ASL. And have been trying to learn it through this show… can’t afford classes. We’ve learned a lot. So disappointed not to be able to continue to learn. I can’t say enough good about Switched at Birth! I love you all!!

9. Andrew Hass says:

I’m sad by this news but i think Switched At Birth had a great 5 year run.However i just want a fitting end with nothing unresolved for any of the characters.

10. Mady says:

No! Please dont end at season 5!! I love switched at birth and cannot believe it is going to end!! I love that show soo much!!

11. TVFanatic says:

So disapointed by Freeform’s decision. This series is not only entertaining, but educational and informative. There really is no other series like it on air. I’ve loved pick up up some ASL through watching the series and so disappointed the series is coming to an end!

12. Hipper says:

Still no news on ‘Baby Daddy’…

13. Art Ist says:

I thought it had already ended.

14. Denise Hamilton says:

Truly a great show. I will be missed

15. beatrice mejia says:

I want to know why the fosters show is still on the show sucks you should cancel all shows and just keep switched at birth

• Annie says:

The Fosters should really be considered the sister show to Switched at Birth. I’m devastated that SaB is ending, but I wouldn’t want The Fosters cancelled so we get another season of SaB. Fosters is a truly remarkable show, like SaB; challenging norms, showcasing families and people not seen on tv very often, discussing real issues. They both have a really important place in the tv landscape and both should continue on.

16. beatrice mejia says:

all the fans should call in to help save the show i got the number online

17. Annie says:

*sobs pathetically* I’ll miss it so much.

18. Karen says:

i stopped watching a long time ago. it got really bad

19. Roberta says:

Oh how much I have enjoyed watching this wonderful show, The intelligent heartfelt writing held me captive every week because I felt the actors / actresses were top notch in delivering their lines, and were filled with the emotion that I looked for. There was a lot of heart in the actors who delivered to me a story that made me come back week after week. I never missed an episode, you were all that great! Please make the last ten episodes a rewarding last season. My heart is with everyone involved and I hope to see everyone in other projects. I know I want to see you all again in some show or movie and wow me all over again. You have my love and respect for introducing me to the non-hearing world. It showed me how it was possible to learn signing so I can make some new non-hearing friends. I’m sure that the writing, directing, and acting will make me love this show to the end. I am hoping for a teary, happy, and surprising last season. You all exceeded my expectations and I’m expecting to have a big happy cry watching the last 90 minutes. Please make me remember you all…I want to see all storylines tied up in an amazing ending. Now I have to go, so I can process what is happening, (sigh). You all really made me love watching you. Every last one of you were special in my eyes and heart. Thank you !!!

20. Sharon Wisniewski says:

I will miss it . It’s a good show

21. k mckoy says:

I WILL MISS THIS SHOW. Why do yall always take off the good shows and leave the crap on? You took off Lincoln Heights, Kyle XY,Make it or break it etc etc

• Meh says:

Also Secret Life of the American Teenager. But Brenda Hampton’s writing went way downhill and it jumped the shark when Ben got together with weirdo Dylan.

22. Ashley says:

I will definitely miss the show!! I look forward to the day Switched at Birth came on tv and stopped whatever I was doing to watch it. The show is so much fun to watch and the people on the show are absouluty amazing!! I love Switched at Birth and will miss it soo much!!

23. Molly says:

NOOOOO!!! This show is something I look forward to watching. It has made such a difference for so many people. I wish it would continue forever!!

24. Janet says:

That sucks one of the best shows on tv

25. Katie Thomas says:

This is devastating news! My family and I love Switched At Birth. This is one of the few shows on TV with substance that still have a little dramatic flair without going overboard, a show I feel OK about my teenage daughter watching. We’ve learned so much about deaf culture and what makes it so beautiful… which is something near and dear to my heart for personal reasons. No other show does anything like that. So sad to see it end, but I hope that Lizzy Weiss is able to do something else similar and just as great with these talented individuals. I look forward to what will happen in season 5, wish everyone the best, and hope that all seasons are released on DVD so that I can enjoy them forever…if not, hopefully Netflix values it and keeps it on. Thank you for what I know will be 5 seasons of great TV watching!

26. Priscilla says:

Keep it going i kove switched at birth #Freeform

27. Jeannesha Stfort says:

No ,why?freeform

28. Blake says:

While I’ll be sad to see it go, at least they’re giving it a proper ending. Otherwise, we could have another Kyle XY situation, and no one wants that!

29. Sandra says:

However Pretty Little Liars continues on and on- that’s the show that needs to end not Switched at Birth

30. Janessa says:

That will be awesome but I will miss them alot…I love watching that show…But it will be a good idea..

31. Tami Williams says:

I will completely miss #switchedatbirth. It has been a very inspiring series for us, the Deaf & Hard of Hearing, as well as encouraging hearies to learn sign.

32. Linda favinger says:

Yes love that show it has a lot of what people go though now days

33. Ivy says:

Me and the family will miss switched at birth…nooooo keep continue with tv series…i love switch at birth…wish i met them all..sign language is my number one..im hard of hearing and i always wanteda tv seies like this that include sign language, communication access.. so it not a goodbye it hope see you back later!

34. Gabrielle says:

Maybe it’s because “Freeform” has been horrible about informing fans of the show as to when it’ll return with stupid remarks like “keep watching Freeform to find out!” No. No I won’t.

35. Elba says:

Another good show ending. I’m so sad.

36. Luc says:

Oh my gosh I’m crying 😭😭 I’m really going to miss them so so so much, I was really excited for the new season that was coming out in April, now I have nothing to look forward for on Mondays. It had a great twist and now is over. I need to know what happens with everyone from the past and Toby’s baby and the financial issue. Like I can’t go through this again. It happened with “Twisted” and now switched at birth. I’m really gonna miss the family so much. At least tell us if Regina’s mom comes back or Wes or Ty, Mary Beth, Emmitt. I’m for sure really going to miss them dearly. The ASL I’m gonna miss. The love, the fights and overcoming problems as a family. 😭😔 I hope to see you guys in the future when I’m older. Keep the re-runs on Demand, at least I’ll have those memories to keep.😭 SAB 4ever.

37. Danielle says:

This should NOT be happening!! Switched at Birth is one of my favorite favorite Free Form series!!! It can’t end after only 5 seasons…that’s just not enough. We need more #SwitchedAtBirth I don’t know what I’m gonna do w/o it 😭💔

38. Jessica says:

Please don’t end!! I live Switched at Birth!! Best show. I’m just so sad.

39. ๏̯̃๏ very sad to hear the show is coming to an end. There are only maybe 3 shows that I actually really like and make sure I never miss an episode of. This being one of them, then there’s the walking dead, and; the talking dead. That’s it, that’s all the tv I ever watch so this kinda sux๏̯̃๏. I use to watch drop dead diva and the lying game, until those ended ๏̯̃๏. I hope I can find another show just as good; to become addicted to. I’ll definitely miss the ASL and I hope more shows start hiring deaf actors using more ASL in the future.

40. Lavender spray says:

So this gets cancelled and yet PLL is renewed for a season 7. I used to love PLL but it’s getting a bit much now. But SAB is not over their limit! Why is it getting cancelled!

41. Sharon Scabin says:

Why do you have to cancel something that actually works? There are plenty of terrible shows that are still on air. Veronica Mars, the Ringer, and now Switched at birth…Have you any idea about what we have to see in Italy? Terrible tv series and movies. Think about the rest of the world, please.

42. Vivian Santiago says:

Very sad, it focused on so many real issues. But as a hearing aid person to see how deafness was the main theme was very special to me. So sad that a good show will be leaving while junk stays. Ex Kardashians.

43. Baileigh Kistler says:

I love this show. I would hate to see it go. I’m always excited to watch the brand new episode or the upcoming season. I love how ASL was incorporated into the show. Please reconsider ending the show.

44. molly kelly says:

I’ll miss it. Been watching from the beginning. Has always been good. ABC Famiy was so gaga over it then, poof, Pretty Little Liars took off and the network obviously didn’t care as much about Switched anymore….changing times, changing days…a great disservice to this fine show and cast. Quality television is hard to find. The show will be missed!

45. Roni says:

Hate to see it go, have been watching since the beginning. Too many story lines not resolved!

46. OMG Why did cancelled The Switched at Birth after the fifth season? I am just really disappointed :( so sad and will be miss. But I love that show I can’t wait to see the final season.

47. Katie says:

This is such a great series! So many deep story lines started in Season 4, really will be sad to see the show cancelled! Definitely not time (or ready) for that!

48. tabilove67 says:

Omg.!!! Im so sad to see this show go. It portrays so much going on in real life unlike alot of other tv shows going on. Also does anyone know where i can watch season 5? Netflix only has up until season 4.

49. Marissa says:

So sad. I loved this show. Best wishes tp all the actors.