Underground Ratings WGN

Ratings: Underground Sets WGN Record

Underground hit the ground running, setting a viewership record for WGN America.

The slave escape drama debuted Wednesday night at 10/9c to 1.4 million total viewres, marking the No. 5 scripted cable series premiere this TV season.

Across four premiere-night plays, Underground amassed 2.5 million viewers, the largest-ever same-day audience for a WGN premiere, outpacing Outsiders and Salem by 27 and 6 percent, our sister site Deadline notes.

TVLine gave the pre-Civil War thriller a grade of “A-,” as did readers in a TVLine poll.

1. Jeri says:

Very good! Loved no commercials!

2. Proffesor Speling says:

I watched it for Meloni but was happy to see Hodge and Smollett-Bell, I didn’t know they were in it. The dude from Buffy, too, which is cool I guess.

3. Sarah D says:

Loved it!

4. Get on with your bad self, WGN. This is rivaling AMC and FX for good scripted dramas. Anybody know when Manhattan returns?

5. I absolutely LOVED it!!! I only wish you guys had covered it more in your articles. This show should be a huge hit with the +3 and +7 DVR ratings come in.

6. I’m confused where you got your numbers. According to a Variety article and several others, Outsiders had 1.7 million first night, then 5.5 million over four days.

7. precious Brazil says:

Underground is A powerful series that will impact your life forever!!

8. Yolanda Davidson says:

This show is well written and thoughtfully executed. I am at the edge of my seat weekly. I love this show. It’s a fresh look at slavery.

9. Larry Kent says:

Very professionally adapted and look forward to another Season of Underground, thanks for a well done portrayal of those dark times in the worldwide slavery market…Great Britan, Africa, US, and others participated in this horrible deed.