Scream Season 2: Premiere Date, New Characters and Twisted Plot Revealed

The population of Scream‘s less-than-idyllic Lakewood is about to increase for a change.

In addition to a premiere date — Tuesday, May 31 at 10/9c — MTV on Thursday also announced six new characters joining the killer drama’s second season. (UPDATE: The premiere date has been moved up to May 30.)

First up, two new series regulars: Recording artist Kiana Lede will play Zoe, an overachieving high school student with — wait for it — a secret, while Santiago Segura (Silicon Valley) will play artistic student Gustavo Acosta, a “dark and brooding” outsider who’s “deeply into horror, serial killers and comic books.”

Recurring characters include Sheriff Acosta (played by Banshee‘s Anthony Ruivivar), a “strict” cop who returns to his hometown of Lakewood with his son Gustavo; Karen Lang (Criminal Minds‘ Austin Highsmith), a psychology teacher who becomes her students’ “confidant and mentor”; Eli (Secrets and Lies‘ Sean Grandillo), Kieran’s seemingly “squeaky clean” cousin; and Tina Hudson (Ray Donovan‘s Karina Logue), a polite young woman with a “grifter’s sense of self-reliance.”

Here’s the official logline for Scream’s second season:

MTV and Dimension TV’s second season of Scream picks up with Emma’s (Willa Fitzgerald) return to Lakewood after several months at a retreat, where she tried to recover from the horrors of last season. Everyone is walking on eggshells around her, questioning whether she has truly gotten over the Killer’s crimes. Meanwhile, Audrey (Bex Taylor-Klaus) is hiding her connection to the Killer, but is getting harassed by someone who knows the truth. Brooke (Carlson Young) and Jake (Tom Maden) are also keeping secrets: They are hiding a budding romance from Mayor Maddox. And Noah (John Karna) is getting closer and closer to the truth about the season one murders. Lakewood’s murderous past, both recent and distant, are once again brought to focus – with this Killer’s psychotic mind-game intent on bringing Lakewood’s heroes down in a storm of betrayal and bloodshed.

Frankly, I’m surprised it took them so long to get to the whole “betrayal and bloodshed” part.

Your thoughts on Season 2’s plot and new additions? Check out the official poster, then drop ’em in a comment below.

Scream Season 2

1. Joey Padron says:

Good scoop and logline for season 2. Can’t wait to see new season!

2. alistaircrane says:

It’s strange that this series literally has nothing to do with the movies besides the title. Hopefully that will change.

• thisismenow says:

They were saying last season if they were picked up for Season 2 they would try to get at least one person from the film franchise to appear.

• Annie says:

Stylistically they are similar too. The whole meta narrative structure and the reveal of details, etc. It was all *very* Scream.

3. Hurley says:

This series is so bad

4. Drew says:

They probably should have changed casts/characters every year. They risk becoming like Pretty Little Liars if the same people are around too long.

• johnhelvete says:

I would have kept Emma (final girl), Audrey (plot twist at the end), Emma’s mom and Noah (Randy from the first two films) and killed off the rest.

• Drew says:

But how do you explain people constantly trying to kill the same group of people, while offering an unmasking and resolution at the end of every season?

• johnhelvete says:

Well I would kill off Noah before the halfway point of season 2 just like Randy from Scream 2, Audrey is at least still around because of the plot twist and the mom could have been killed in season if you prefer.

• Matt C. says:

You pretty much just summed up the entire Scream film series, haha.

• Cliff says:

I would have also kept Brooke around, I liked her, 1 of my favorite characters in the show.

5. mike says:

i hope MTV Canada will air season 2

6. Taylor says:

This show is actually pretty well made and surprising. The killer reveal last season was decent and captures the level of camp and horror of the films. Really glad it got a second season.

7. Cory says:

I’d heard the studio was unhappy with s1 and wanted a new direction for s2. I guess that was either wrong or they lost the battle. Would have preferred a reboot of the cast and setting but maybe it will be an every-two-seasons thing like Skins.

• johnhelvete says:

They could have taken a page from Scream 2 and followed Emma to college. Season 1 should have killed off a lot more of the cast though.

8. Guy says:

This show could be so much better but it’s fun to live tweet.

9. SassyAF28 says:

i’m glad they’re getting more diversity

• James says:

Right! It’s hard to justify a cast being soooo white when it’s set in a High School in a suburb of Southern California. I grew up in Upland, CA which is a small super wealthy Suburb in California, and there were a ton of Black, Latino and Asian kids. Although there were different groups of friends, most, of the groups tended to be pretty diverse. And this was in 1999.

10. Kayla Summy says:

Really excited to see Anthony Ruivivar as the town sheriff. Interesting fact: the sheriff he replaced was played by actor Jason Wiles. Both actors were co-stars for six years on my favorite show, Third Watch (1999 – 2005).

11. Annie says:

I would have preferred this series go the AHS way and be set somewhere else each season.
    I enjoyed last season (even though I guessed the end) and I’m glad it’s coming back

12. Mike says:

I think it would be interesting if they killed Emma off in the first episode like they did Drew in the first movie, that would totally shake things up, shock people and keep them on their toes, Brooke could be the new lead character instead of Emma and keep it moving.

13. Weezy says:

Wait Karina Logue is playing a “polite young woman”? I’m pretty sure she’s 50 in real life…why does Hollywood always do that I wonder?

14. Ian Barber says:

This show was so bad, but I couldn’t stop watching! They really really need to murder most of the cast this season. Having almost all of the characters survive was pretty silly. I’d love if the opening murders of the new season were Brooke and Jake.

15. Guy says:

First season was such a disappointment. So predictable that Piper was the killer. And they barely killed off any characters (ones that mattered).

16. Cam says:

Riley mention’s Zoe’s name in the pilot when they speak about Audrey’s video.

17. DanielleCriscillis says:

Is it May 30th 2016 also when will it be on Netflix

18. Wait why are people wanting them to change the cast every season or two? I love the cast they have now… Except for Jake. At least keep the characters: Brooke, Audrey, Noah, Emma and the mother the same. This is a great show! Excited to see season two. I binge watched the first season in one day haha.

19. lovelmw says:

I am really confused, I have MTV on my tv but Scream isn’t on the schedule, Im in Canada. Anyone know how I can watch it?