Royal Pains - Season 8

Royal Pains to End After Season 8 — Watch Mark Feuerstein's 'Wrap' Video

The doctors are out.

Royal Pains‘ upcoming eighth season will be its last, USA Network announced Thursday. The Hamptons-set drama’s eight-episode farewell season will kick off Wednesday, May 18 at 10/9c.

“It’s with great sadness, but even greater thankfulness, that we prepare for our final summer sunsets, as Royal Pains comes to an end,” said exec producer/series creator Andrew Lenchewski and fellow EP Michael Rauch in a statement. “We want to thank our [entire] network and studio family for tirelessly supporting us over eight magical seasons, and more importantly, for giving us the opportunity to complete this series on our own terms. We’ll always have The Hamptons.”

Per USA, Season 8 will find Hank (Mark Feuerstein) grappling with whether his professional fulfillment equals his personal fulfillment, while Evan (Paulo Costanzo) and Paige (Brooke D’Orsay) must examine what family really means to them.

Season 8 will include an episode shot in Hong Kong as well as a musical installment featuring Christine Ebersole and Cloris Leachman. Past guest stars Rupak Ginn (Raj), Jill Flint (Jill) and Bob Gunton (General William Collins) will also drop by.

The cast clearly knew the end was near. How else to explain the elaborately produced, Feuerstein-fronted “wrap” video below? (Also, Feuerstein already has a new gig lined up.) Have a peek at the cast’s super-fun farewell vid and then hit the comments with your Royal Pains eulogies!

1. Robin says:

LOVED it! LOVED the show! So much fun. Sad to see it go, but glad I went on the journey!

2. Jennifer says:

Say it ain’t so!!!! I really love this show. Love the cast … can’t believe it’s ending. Sadness.

3. HAP says:

I don’t know how such a lame show lasted this long.

4. CarolH says:

Great video! Really love this show and sorry to see it end. Always wanted more episodes for the season….seemed like it was always too short. Happy to see they will at least get to wrap everything up.

5. Wordsmith says:

I love the Lawsons as much as anybody, but it was time.

• Margaret says:

Gotta think they knew it too, particularly with the continually shortened seasons. Was it a little ridiculous sometimes? For sure. But was it still fun to watch? Totally.

6. Wait, wasn’t this announced months ago? They’ve all been tweeting about the final season for ages now.

• Kaya says:

Because they announced this LAST YEAR when they said there would be two shortened seasons. They had a wrap party last summer!!

7. TW says:

I’m sad about this news. Such a great summer show. The actress who plays Divya did an interview with People.com (Celebrity parents section) several months ago, and it mentioned that she was fresh off of filming the series finale of her show Royal Pains. At the time I didn’t recall hearing that it had been cancelled. I suspect the cast already knew and USA was keeping it under wraps or hadn’t made it official yet.

• Gern Blanston says:

Isn’t she British? They refer to seasons of TV shows as series so, maybe she was just talking about the finale of last season and referred to it as the series finale.

8. Bella says:

This was a fun show, especially for the summe. I loved the locale, and Hank’s McGyverisms in emergencies were my favorite part of the show. I’ll miss the cast, too. I’m glad they’ve had time to come up with a final send-off.

9. Gern Blanston says:

Loved the first three seasons, but started to lose interest when they wrote Jill out. It seemed like they made the decision to write the character out without having any idea of what to do with Hank’s personal life after she left. After that the show lost something in my eyes. Finally took it off the DVR midway through season 6 as the show seemed to be floundering with what it wanted to be. Is it an international mystery show? Is it a family show? Glad that they got the notice so, they could wrap it up for the people that liked the show, but it was about 2-3 seasons too late for me.

• Nancy says:

Glad to know it’s not just me. Losing Jill was the stupidest thing they ever did. NOW they bring her back? Why now? Unless Hank leaves the Hamptons(which would be dumb as he calls it home) 0r Jill comes home from Africa(again I don’t see that as she loves it there) I don’t know why they are bringing her back now.

• ImissFringe says:

I thought the same thing. When they decided to write her off, I was sooooooo sad. The show lost its sparkle. I only kept watching the show to see if they would bring JILL BAAAACK. I do love Paige and Evan though. They crack me up. In the end I hope Jill and Hank are end game. Here’s to not losing faith…….

10. DramaMomma says:

That was AWESOME! I swear to god if Hank and Jill don’t end up together I am going to have a seizure.

11. Jason says:

I always loved Royal Pains. Amidst all the heavy and emotionally draining fair like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, it’s nice to have a few blue skies shows to cleanse the pallete. With Hart of Dixie ending and now this too, I’m left to wonder where I might turn to lift my spirits. Oh, wait…I know. A little show called Gilmore Girls is returning soon. Now, there is a balm for the weary soul.

12. Song4Ten says:

And thus ends their hugely successful “Blue Skies” strategy…sadly. The new programming is way too edgy and not nearly as fun (or stress-relieving) to watch!

• Mark says:

I couldn’t agree with you more (although I am rather addicted to Suits). It used to be that any new show the USA Network added, I watched without question. Now, I don’t even start watching them.

13. sarah says:

I love this show!! But all good things come to an end….and it is time for this to go. I look forward to seeing these actors in new projects!!

14. Annie says:

Aw they always did the BEST season teaser trailers. Season 3’s rap was probably my favorite but this is pretty fresh too. Will miss those guys!

15. Kathy says:

This really sucks — it was one of USA’s original shows that I still bothered to watch. I’m surprised it lasted this long — it’s not edgy and hip enough for TPTB at USA.

• You hit the nail on the head. Why bother to take a formula that succeeds and have even more shows that also succeed when you can just scuttle everything and then turn off so many viewers that you lose audience share? Yeah, that’s the ticket!

What do these brains think they are, major network heads that are dunces? I guess so, imitate all that is wrong there and expect a different outcome? I think it was Einstein and the word insanity comes up, etc.

Royal Pains was so much less expensive to produce than many other shows, so of course lets just do even less episodes.

I guess after this season, I am probably permanently never watching them ever again. I can go elsewhere for proven failed strategies. [I thought the whole idea of cable was to away from this idiocy, but obviously I am mistaken, it’s just a means to do even more stupidity and not innovate.

I suggest the owners look at the revenue from say next year and compare it to say five years ago, and then scratch their heads why they are losing money.

16. southernbelle says:

That was the best video. Love Royal Pains. sad to see it end.. glad we get a chance to wrap it up..

17. drhenning says:

As someone who was from LI, enjoyed the scenery. 5 years ago when I was in Locust Valley during my Mom’s funeral, they were filming scenes when LV was passing for a small town on the East End.. They just used the sidewalks there and I was able to watch the filming but never on camera myself. Much of the filming was done further west of the Hamptons, It was fun when they took it on the road like they seemed to have done this final season. They mentioned that Jill Flint is showing up for an episode. It was always odd seeing her as the gay FBI agent lover of Kalinda on The Good Wife.

18. Diane Barton says:

Loved the show. Watched it from Day One.
    Sorry to see it go, but the “wrap” video was great!

19. pecola says:

Glad to hear Jill Flint will be back.

Hopefully Hank will realize that he can have both personal and professional fulfillment.

20. Mark says:

I kind of suspected when they announced the two shorter seasons when it was renewed after season 6. Not that this makes me any happier. I love these characters, and I’m going to miss them after they are gone.

21. That video was hilariously fantastic! A nice way to break the news to us fans :)

22. Why must all shows end that convey a good feeling? First Rizzoli and Isles, now Royal Pains … I’m sick and tired of more and more crime/horror/dead/etc. shows!

23. joan senator says:

I am sorry to see some of the most intelligent shows leaving TV. My adult generation enjoyed Royal Pains, as well as Good Wife, Rizzoli and Isles and now will not have this quality of show to watch. We are the generation with money to spend, and are being ignored by the broadcasters. Good luck to all of the actors in the future.
    Joan Senator

24. Gwen says:

Aw, nuts! I loved this show! Gratitude to the writers, producers and especially the cast for eight seasons of sun and fun.

25. Lori Helmick says:

USA,,FX,TNT, they all use to have such great shows then one by one got canceled. Now all crap shows. How disappointing.

26. GS says:

i am very sorry that this show was cancelled, Iloved it , we have too many crime shows, I always looked forward to Royal Pains

27. Joey Padron says:

Great wrap video. Gonna miss the show so much. Happy they had a long run on TV. Can’t wait to watch final new season in May!

28. Sally says:

EPIC!! I think they just set a new bar on how to to go out! Good Wife, gauntlet has been thrown….

29. beverly says:

Well– you took a Great show and literally slow paced it too death! Congratulations, USA network. To the CAST of Royal Pains. You WILL BE MISSED. VERY SORRY TO SEE THE SHOW GO. GOOD LUCK TO ALL

30. Kirk Klag says:

There are few good shows on TV. Royal Pains was one of the best ever. It was a bright spot amid the endless reruns that is USA’s normal fare. Whatever replaces it will be a step down and detrimental to USA.

31. Shannon Staiger says:

I cannot believe they are canceling Royal Pains. If you need to cancel a show at least replace it with something comparable. I will miss my summers in the Hamptons.

32. C. Landers says:

Loved the video. Love the show. It’s one of my favorites. I’m upset that it’s ending, but so happy I got to go on this eight season journey.

33. Layna Jones says:

My husband and I LOVE LOVE LOVE this show! We have been looking forward to the 2016 season for two months now. We are both sad…Good luck to the cast and crew in their new endeavors!

34. Karen says:

So sad to see it end. I kept hoping that they would make it a year long show not just a few shows during the summer. I think if they had expanded the episodes they would have attracted a much larger audience base. Many people never even knew the show existed. Again will really miss the show.

35. I love this show I really enjoyed it I’m going to be so sad when it go off so happy is on Netflix I can continue to watch it

36. mazel tov says:

Jill Flint is coming back for at least one episode. Reason enough to watch.

37. Lorry says:

Royal Pains is one of the best shows on TV. It’s right up there with NCIS. Why does it have to go?

38. Kathi says:

Sad to see this show end. It offered so much, a little drama, a little comedy, a little mystery, a little romance, inciteful and informative, and so much more all rolled into one. A happy hour, relaxing and fun. What a wonderful cast and crew.

39. SilverFoxDan says:

Certainly, some positive things happened during the series and it offered many feel-good moments that we certainly need more of in today’s tough times.

But… the series could have been so very much more. Fact is, you can’t start the show-viewer relationship with the main character (Hank) being lost then establishing the shows foundation relationship (with Jill) then loosing site of the viewers emotional connection to that carefully created relationship. You simply can not do that and expect the full emotional commitment and satisfaction of the viewers expectations you set at the beginning of the show.

That is not to say that the other actors and plots were not compelling in their own way but it was painful to watch the Hank-Jill romance degrade and be smacked around like a tennis ball only to be hit out of the court and into freeway traffic.

You could tell that the writers were lost (directed to be so or not) when it came to developing a strong series life-line for the Jill and Hank dynamic. The misuse of the talents of both actors in what could have been the backbone of the series was, in my opinion, a mortal sin for a “feel-good” series.

So why did the show survive past season 4 and after Jill’s departure? I think much of the ongoing viewership remained dedicated to the show in the hopes that they would finally get it right. Honestly, I suspect there was more to this failure than we will ever know because no sane production staff could ever have missed the mark so badly.

Sooo, unless the Hampton’s goes to Africa or vice-versa sometime in the final season… well viewers like myself will forever classify it as a series that could have been a real winner but ended up to be much less so.

Congratulations and thanks to all the wonderful Actors of this series for their hard work and for contributing what must have been an important time in their lives to providing us all with laughter, hope and a pleasant break from reality, in ours.

• Imissfringe says:

Well said!!! I couldn’t agree more in regards to Jill and Hank. First 3 seasons was what made royal pains…..urgh I’m still upset about the story line of Jill’s departure. I’m watching the reruns on Netflix, and it pains me so to see her go 😩😩😩🙈🙈!!!

Wishing the cast and crew the best of luck in their next endeavor.

40. Kelly Woodell says:

I look foward to summer so that i can see Royal Pains. I can not remember the network ever having any show last longet than 8 seasons. It kinda is a smart move. Let go of shows before the ratings start going down. Tbh 8 season is a long time for an actor/actress. I will miss the show but i will be waiting to see if they replace the show with one that is just as entertaining.

41. Ronnie says:

So sad to see a funny but interesting concept show being cancelled . The cast fit well together and was enjoyed by our household . Hopefully no more reality nonsense on

42. Tricia Hunyady says:

Rizzoli & Isles and Royal Pains…going off air. Really? What a shame but all good things come to an end. I am a late comer to the show by tuning in for the last few seasons. I really looked forward to their season each year. At least NCIS is still on air.

43. Kevin says:

I will really miss this show I’ve been watching it since the first one came out I wish they would keep it on they had really great actors it always kept you in suspense

44. Cheryl Myres says:

Thanks for all the summers in the Hamptons. I know all good things must come to and end.

45. Maureen McGuire says:

Wish the cast the best in their next project. It was nice to have some clean cut stories on TV for a change.

46. antonis says:

great show love it . I hope stay more seasons .

47. Why would they end this show? I love this show! I wait for it to start every season, and have seen it from the very beginning. I am so sad that they are pulling the plug on such an entertaining, heartwarming, funny, smart & exciting show. I will so miss all the characters & stories…

48. mazel tov says:

There is at east one good thing about this being the last season of Royal Pains–no more Henry Winkler. He is annoying beyond description.

49. Nancy Farkas says:

No Jared. The actress did not leave of her own accord. Jill Flint was let go. Fired. For no reason. And it sounds like Hank’s love life has sucked since then. So that was a big mistake.

50. Linda Balarezo says:

Loved this & will miss this summer show. I hope to see you all in future series. Thank you for entertaining us & giving us glimpses of how the wealthy live & expect certain services that I for one probably will not have the luxury of having. I love Biris’s house as I have been there for a wedding. Also, as I live in Bayville, I know that they used some of our storefronts as well as Town Hall in Oyster Bay I believe as backdrops in their show.👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻