Grey's Anatomy Season 13 Justin Chambers

Grey's Anatomy: Justin Chambers Confirms Season 13 Return

Tear up those discharge papers: Justin Chambers is staying put on Grey’s Anatomy.

The actor confirmed on Twitter Thursday night that he will be back as Alex Karev for the ABC drama’s just-renewed 13th season.

Chambers’ current deal expires this spring, at the conclusion of the show’s current 12th season. Other Grey’s vets whose contracts are set to expire this season include Chandra Wilson, James Pickens Jr., Sara Ramirez and Kevin McKidd.

Back in January, McKidd told TVLine that the likelihood of him re-signing was very high. “I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t happen. I love [the show],” he said, adding, “I’m not being corny or giving you the party line, but this has been like a family for me.”

ABC declined to comment.

1. Guest says:

It’s not even Chambers himself who is tweeting from his account so please take this info with a grain of salt. It’s his team or assistant. But I assume they wouldn’t tweet anything that the actor doesn’t approve of, so we can assume that he is staying. Although I think that he should leave. Shonda Rhimes has always made it clear that she doesn’t care about Alex all too much and it’s still evident. He doesn’t even get storylines anymore, I’m tired of watching him as everyone’s friend. He’s become too nice and kind of boring too. Not much left of old Evil Spawn who used to make the show more entertaining.

• alysa says:

Agree. I haven’t been able to enjoy Alex since Christina left and he became Meredith’s person. Now he seems to have no backbone anymore and always looks drained and tired. Maybe that’s also because he’s interacting with Meredith’s geoup of people so much, listening to Maggie’s nonstop whining would tire me out too. Meredith whined to him a lot too last season before Derek died and he never once told her that he’s had enough. I find that so strange.

• NM says:

I don’t want Alex to leave but I can agree with you on the lack of screentime. As stated before, there are way too many characters in this show now to even devote enough storylines to everyone in a season. I get some storylines have carried on from last season, but it’s time to wrap them up and pass the baton of storylines on. I wish Alex would get given an arc whether it’s Jo or something family oriented. However, unless it’s a wedding with Jo, I don’t see a storyline with his character going elsewhere this season.

2. NM says:

Did I miss something? Has Ellen Pompeo confirmed her return too?

3. Dominique says:

good! you can’t have this show without alex in it. now i hope shonda is smart enough torealize that this means she should give him more screentime.

4. Luli says:

Isn’t Ellen Pompeo’s contract up too?

• Jeff says:

I’m pretty sure when she re-signed in Season 11, in included a season 13.

• Pedro says:

At the time it was reported she re-signed for 11 and 12. But, who knows? Maybe, after Dempsey left, they ran to her and re-upped her deal.

• Samantha says:

No, when Ellen signed a new contract at the end of season 10 it was for season 11 and season 12. Same with Justin. Those two along with the other originals have their contracts up at the end of this season. It’s possible that some, if not all, have signed new contracts for season 13 (and more) but it hasn’t been announced yet.

5. ethan says:

Justin and Ellen are great actors but let’s face it, they have NOTHING else if they are not in Grey’s. Of course they’re going to keep signing until the shows end.

• Pedro says:

Ellen has been pretty vocal that she likes the stability and the money and might retire after Grey’s ends. She makes north of 300,000 an episode, somewhat between 7 and 8 million a year and that is not a gig she’ll get elsewhere.

I don’t blame her. If people where throwing million my way to do something millions of people love, playing a character she plays so well, I would.

• Julian says:

I’m pretty sure Justin has the capability to find something outside of Grey’s. It’s not like he’s only been doing Grey’s Anatomy the last decade, like Ellen has. She basically has nothing else. Justin will have other options, especially if he doesn’t want to known as only Dr. Alex Karev.

6. Terry says:

I enjoy this show, some folks annoy but it is a tv show after all. I could do nicely without April she is just to much. I sometimes want to just slap her. The new guy is a welcome addition. Shonda really know how to find good looking men. Scott Elrod, soooo sexy.
    I will keep watching even if it is just to see him.

7. Anna says:

Please please please find something else for him to do besides being everyone else’s shoulder to cry on. I love that he’s there for Meredith and Maggie and Jo and now April, but the episode with the dying baby twins at the beginning of the season really highlighted how talented he is, as well as how underutilized he is on this show. Shonda, please give him some real storylines!!!

8. maybe Karev and Mer finally end up together since they all ready know everything about each other lol that would be a great twist

9. dose anyone know when season 13 is suppose to start ?

10. Darlene says:

I’ve been watching Grey’s Anatomy from day one. I just read that Chambers is coming back! thank you Shonda Rimes. we’ve lost the entire family of Grey’s with the exception of a few. Those that are left please leave them alone thank you. Lol that’s my opinion