Torrance Coombs Leaving Reign

Reign's Torrance Coombs Joins ABC's Still Star-Crossed, Will Exit CW Drama

Torrance Coombs‘ next small-screen gig is a real tragedy.

Currently a regular on The CW’s Reign, Coombs has been cast in ABC’s drama pilot Still Star-Crossed, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Based on the 2013 Melinda Taub novel, the potential Shondaland-produced series will follow the Capulets and Montagues after the events of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet.

Coombs, whose time on Reign will reportedly end after Season 3, is playing Count Paris, the man Juliet’s parents intended for her to marry before she fell in love with Romeo. Paris will reportedly serve as Still Star-Crossed‘s main villain.

Though he couldn’t discuss his character’s exit from Reign, Coombs posted this tweet shortly after the Still Star-Crossed news broke:

Additionally, Australian actor Wade Briggs has been cast as Benvolio Montague, a relative of the late Romeo. Benvolio is reportedly engaged to a member of the Capulet family in order to restore peace in Verona.

Your thoughts on Still Star-Crossed? Coombs’ departure from Reign? Whatever’s on your mind, drop it in a comment below.

1. Ella says:

A sign they know their show’s a goner?

• Rita says:

It can only go so far. Historically, they married young, Francis died, Elizabeth held Mary captive, and had her beheaded.
      Love this show! Love Bash!
      Will watch your new show, but please find a way to stay as a recurring character on Reign!

• tsevca says:

Well, you skipped her most important life part, ruling the Scotland. Her marriage to Francis was historically her least important era.

2. Remy says:

No more Bash CSI? I’m not sure how I feel about him playing a villiain.

3. Belle says:

Bummer…guess that puts the final nail in a possible 4th season renewal for Reign :( Will try the new show, who knows; if they don’t force a rushed story it might have a chance. Reign took the story too fast, thinking they wanted to wrap things up in case they weren’t renewed…but they shot themselves in the foot there with that decision. By rushing along they really blew a great opportunity at a really awesome show. Dear Writers and Show Runners, live in the present and don’t worry if you get renewed, tell a great story that is worthy of viewers – Season 1 was AWESOME. #justsaying

4. Andrew says:

Not particularly surprising since, while Reign will get a fourth season because syndication demands it, it won’t continue beyond that. Better to jump ship to a Shondaland show given the chance then stay with one whose time is quickly running out.

5. MeJ says:

Ugh, they never did anything interesting with him at all on Reign. Such a waste — he and Kenna were really the best characters for awhile, and I was sure he was going to go with Mary to Scotland. (Maybe he was and the show is just clearly getting cancelled.)

Also: Another Star-Crossed! Reign premiered alongside The CW’s Star-Crossed in 2014, right?

6. Jennifer says:

Is he the “star”? Is this related to the Blind Item?

• Jennifer says:

Sorry – I don’t watch this, but it would eliminate some stress until May

• tvjunkie says:

I doubt it. The way star was worded, I think either the main star or in the case of multiple main leads, like Castle, one of the main leads. I would not consider him a main star of Reign, though he has been a regular. As such I don’t think he qualifies.

• Rita says:

I would think he’d be very important, since he’s been dubbed the villain; and was Juliette”s parent’s choice for marriage.

7. Belle says:

P.S. They should have used Henry’s madness to it’s advantage. All, or most of Season 2 could have been explained away by saying it was all in Henry’s mind. Then they could have reset and gone back to what worked!!

8. msm19 says:

It’s been almost thirty years since I read Romeo and Juliet but if the show is going to pick up after the events of the play, wouldn’t that also include the death of Paris. I could have sworn that Romeo killed Paris but before he died he asked to be buried with Juliet and Romeo agreed.

• Lulu says:

That is correct. Paris and Romeo duel by the tomb of Juliet when he’s killed.

• Sarah says:

I read the book the show is based on – there is an explanation given for how Paris is still alive even though he apparently died in the play. Kind of a bummer that the casting is spoiling this since it’s a pretty good twist.

9. So Happy says:

I love Torrance Coombs so I will try out the new show. I will miss Bash on Reign but the show wasn’t using his character as much as I would have preferred.

10. Carla Krae says:

Not surprising. They’ve struggled with how to include Bash for a while now. I hope they don’t kill him off, though.

11. Mak says:

I’m not shocked…The show does not really know what to do with his character. I would have loved to see Bash & Mary together again but oh well

12. Pamela says:

A shame but his character was a waste ever since the writers ended the Mary, Francis,bash triangle.

13. Alyse says:

This doesn’t surprise me. Even if the show gets a 4th season, I didn’t think he would be in it. I’m assuming a 4th season would be about Mary back in Scotland, which Bash wouldn’t be in. I’ve hated the story lines they’ve been giving him as well.

• Nichole says:

This is pretty much what I was going to say. They ran out of consistent story for his character awhile ago.

14. Ray says:

His character Bash has been relegated to the B storyline for the past season and half now. Not surprised he want’s to jump ship.

15. Kaz says:

Good for Torrance! They completely dropped his character after his relationship with Mary ended. He was wasted on that show.

16. ninergrl6 says:

I’m so torn about this. I LOVE Reign and Torrance, but his character has been pretty useless and distant this season. I was hopeful that the recent flurry of pix from Ireland suggested the Mash alliance/reunion I’ve been waiting for, possibly even in Scotland. I’m thrilled for Torrance since he’s being wasted on Reign, and I LOVE Romeo & Juliet so I’d probably tune in to this show regardless of the casting. I’m just sad for Reign. I’m afraid its days are numbered.

17. Christine says:

It’s not really that much of a shock since if Reign does get a season four it will be moving back to Scotland and away from France so I doubt Bash would be in it much if at all.
    And how is he playing Paris when Paris dies in R&J?? It was kind of an important part of the play so….

18. Jane says:

The more I read about Still Star-Crossed the worse it sounds.

19. If they make Still Star Crossed into a series that will be interesting. The book was good, so I’m interested to see how this will play out on TV. I think they made a good choice on him to play Paris.

20. Della Bell says:

Whats really sad is that the fan base really dose not matter on the case of King Henry killed off, then Frances, now Bash. If they wanted to keep the show going, they would of took in consideration of the fans that watch Reign, and kept the story lines going. So many fans were watching every week, that the ratings really high. Are they just trying to shut down Reign ?? If so, their doing a dam good job of it !! This show could run for many, many more seasons. With alot of excitement to keep the fans !!

21. Priscilla says:

Have they brought back kenna and louie conde? I stopped watching when they stopped showing them.

22. kitty says:

So excited that Reign will be returning especially after rumours of it being cancelled! However surely I can’t be the only one that did not enjoy the last season as much and is still hung up on our dear Francis. Seriously I still can’t listen to Sam Smith Stay With Me without thinking of that final dance and reducing me to tears again. And now we are close to losing Bash aswell! Can we at least see Bash and Mary together again and please don’t kill him off.

23. Kathleen Gleeson says:

Torrent always seems to exit a great show after it has made a good impression.I first saw him like probably many of you,yrs ago when he had a regular role on Showtime’s “The Tutor’s”.That was how I reckoned him on “Reign”. Now that he has pulled three season’s there,he is leaving again for another role of similar time period “Still Star Crossed.He will play a count,Count Paris ,the person Juliet’s parent’s wanted her to marry instead of Romeo.This show apparently take’s place post Romeo & Juliet tradgedy.I hear he may be a wee villainess ! But I doubt Torrance fans will still see him from time to time on “Reign”.someone still has to look out for Mary and I don’t bet on Narcisse. So he goes on to stay true to period pieces.

24. RichieS says:

If the Reign showrunners were so concerned with staying true to history then why did they cast such amazing-looking actresses to play Mary and her cousin Elizabeth when portraits show us how plain these royals were?

25. MacDonald says:

So sad!!!!

26. Tatenda says:

Season 4 will be void without Bash, he has to come back just finish his part for season 4……At least REIGN will be plausible…Started well, don’t have to end poorly cause he is the icon. Lots of love to Basshh