AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. Ratings

Ratings: S.H.I.E.L.D. Returns to Low, Kings and Prophets Does Royally Bad

ABC’s already renewed Agents of SHIELD on Tuesday night returned from hiatus to 3.5 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating, matching and hitting series lows. I gave the winter premiere a grade of “C+,” while TVLine readers gave it an average grade of “B.”

Opening ABC’s night, Fresh Off the Boat (4.9 mil/1.4) ticked up to its best numbers since Feb. 2. The Real O’Neals christened its regular time slot with 4 mil and a 1.1, down almost 40 percent from last Wednesday’s sneak peeks and on par with The Muppets’ Season 1 average.

Of Kings and Prophets debuted to 3.3 mil/0.8 (an an average grade of “C”), a tick below ill-fated Wicked City‘s October launch in the cursed time slot. This is where I remind that what would be Body of Proof‘s series finale did 7.6 mil and a 1.2, while Forever signed off with 4 mil and a 1.1.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

NBC | The Voice (13.4 mil/3.1) was up 9 percent and a tenth week-to-week. Leading out of that, Little Big Shots retained 12.7 mil/2.9, marking the top-rated reality series premiere in four-and-a-half years (since Fox’s The X Factor) .

FOX | New Girl (2.76 mil/1.2) and Grandfathered (2 mil/0.8) were steady.

CBS | Leading out of repeats, (soon-to-be-renewed?) Limitless (5.4 mil/1.0) ticked down to series lows.

1. David4 says:

The Real O’Neals (Which is awesome, but sadly dead looking.) was on Wednesday last week.

2. PriceIsRightCancelled says:

Poor ABC. Really hope the 10 pm Tuesday night time slot curse should end if only Quantico would have been a good fit there.

3. Boiler says:

Wow ABC early renewals struggling. Making Castle and Nashville look better all the more

• Tica says:

Agreed, Boiler

• David4 says:

The renewals aren’t struggling anymore than most TV shows. Agents of Shield will live for a season or two more at least just because it’s owned by ABC / Disney / Marvel and probably does great in streaming rights.

4. Annie says:

Obligatory comment; Forever must be looking pretty good in hindsight now eh ABC.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

BODY OF PROOF even more so (as added above)!

• tvjunkie says:

Forever’s numbers really weren’t that much better. A little better sure, but the difference is almost negligible.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Because you are expecting KINGS & PROPHETS to rise with later episodes…?

• S. Ward says:

Excellent point Matt. I was able to stand less than 15 minutes of the first episode, and then changed the channel. I wonder how long it will take for ABC to get the hint and drop KINGS & PROPHETS…or will they be stubborn about it?

• AMG says:

An difference of 700,000 viewers and a 0.3 difference in A18-49 in the Live+Same-Day ratings is negligible? I don’t think so! Forever’s is much better!

• AMG says:

By the way, if you count the Live+7-Day ratings, Forever had 7 million viewers and a 1.7 A18-49 demo rating for “The Last Death of Henry Morgan” (the season finale).

• Forever debuted with twice the numbers, 8.26 mil to be exact. It also averaged a 2 in the 18-49 demo throughout the season, despite the fact that ABC afforded it very little in the way of promotion after the season opener. Many people didn’t even find the series until the cancellation was announced.
        Had ABC put some effort into it and renewed the show for a season 2, instead of cancelling it to concentrate on in-house productions, they’d currently have another well performing show. Somehow, I get the feeling that they wasted more money on Wicked City and Of Kings and Prophets than they would have paid in licensing fees to WB.

• Jennifer says:

Forever was the best. I wish it could come back

5. Cody says:

Body of Proof was great – right until the sort of threw that crazy finale our way! Missing Forever as well!

6. Eric7740 says:

Matt please remind us how Private Practice use to do in the Tuesday at 9 timeslot??? I’m pretty sure it was better than anything that ABC has had in that slot the past couple of years.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

PRIVATE PRACTICE’s (proper, pre-announced) series finale did 5.3 mil and a 1.5. Its final season averaged 4.6 mil/1.3.

• Gispino says:

Why would that really matter? Practice ended years ago-ratings for shows in general have declined significantly since then. If Practice still aired, it would probably have dropped to around the levels of these other shows at this point. Same deal with Body of Proof, and very possibly, if still on the air, Forever would now be down to 1.0 or less. It’s very easy to say that ABC should wish it had kept those shows but also not really fair as one is making the dubious assumption that they would automatically outperform what is currently airing.

7. Mac says:

Limitless was new. It got a 1.0 for its troubles after airing behind NCIS twins’ repeats.

8. Jake says:

Kinda surprising about Shield, I actually enjoyed the episode.

• John NYC says:

I enjoyed it as well, it did feel preparatory though. I wonder if the tv show is going to get jerked around again to be handmaiden to the films? All that helli carrier talk gave off a “let’s pimp the movies” vibe, and not in a good way.

• Damien D. says:

I’m not surprised. Just proves that AOS sucks.

9. Jeff Muetz says:

don’t make me grumble about those 2 shows you mentioned..BOP and Forever….can’t believe both were cancelled.

10. dancmh says:

I couldnt quite tell if I liked the Real O’Neals last week or if, after sitting through 30 minutes of whatever soul crushing, achingly bad, evil sludge of proof that ABC hates mankind sitcom came before it, the O’Neils just looked good in comparison.

11. Maryann says:

I wish ABC would consider bringing back Forever or even Body of Proof. Those two were all-time favorites of mine. I wonder if Of Kings and Prophets will even last three episodes before being yanked — I have never seen a show viewer-ranked in your column with a higher percentage of viewers giving it a grade of F.

12. sunshine says:

You can’t blame Wicked City’s fast death on it’s time slot. It was truly slimy in the first few acts. I turned it off quick and so did everyone else. Terrible thing.

13. Sara says:

I completely forgot that Agents of SHIELD was on last night. But it is automatically recorded on my DVR so I’ll watch it later today. Good thing it was already renewed though. Those ratings…ouch.

14. The problems with SHIELD:

– Too many characters. The original format worked best with the core team. I actually like Bobbi and Hunter, but they feel like a completely different show, and the proposed spinoff for them should have gone through.

– No one cares about the inhuman stuff. Once again, when the show was good vs. evil, SHIELD vs. Hydra, it was at its best, in terms of quality and ratings.

– What is the point of it all? Again, when it was SHIELD vs. Hydra, or SHIELD protecting the world it was clear. Now, they’re fighting inhumans, or are they working with them? They’re fighting the government…or are they? It’s too convoluted.

15. Rene says:

Totally agree with the above article! When ABC will realize, by canceling FOREVER was a huge mistake.. Just bring that amazing show back!

16. So' says:

ABC must suck their ass by now cancelling Forever which wasn’t doing so badly ! How long your new show is going to stay before getting axed again ? 3 weeks at best ? Just bring Forever back and you’ll get the ratings you deserve. Mistakes can be repair so just so you know

17. “Of Kings & Prophets” wasn’t horrible, but it wasn’t great. Hollywood does the bible poorly anyway, so that’s nothing new. I’ll watch it until ABC cancels it & replaces it with another series they’ll then cancel. Ah, television.

18. Jax says:

American Crime is the only ABC drama I watch anymore. I doubt I’ll ever trust their judgment after cancelling Forever, and to some degree, Body of Proof. But, it is the network of The Bachelor, so…
    I do enjoy their comedies, so there’s that, I guess.

19. Carla Krae says:

Goes to show that people don’t like the 3 month hiatus for network TV. They have too many other choices, ABC. The experiment hasn’t worked.

20. einat 162 says:

Forever season 2, especially after the online hype would have that cursed time slot on fire!

Still wishing ABC waking and correcting their mistake- them or any other network. Still hoping Warner Bros (who owns Forever) #shopforever again. #bringbackforever #saveforever

21. Barbara Altbrandt says:

Forever was one of the best tv shows to come out in a long time! Why they cancelled it is beyond my understanding.

22. Tony says:

Cancelling Forever (because of mainly politics) was stupid. Real stupid ABC.
    Not shopping it around (WB) – even dumber!

#SaveForever

23. Danielle G. says:

Agreed. Forever was the best series to come along in a very long time. Hey Netflix…ABC’s loss would be your gain. With Forever’s ever-growing loyal fan base, you would be the winner. We need Season 2 and beyond!

24. Teddy says:

Agents of Shield isn’t going anywhere. It has a huge fan base. If ABC will keep Once Upon A Time around as long as it did, it sure as heck isn’t cancelling AOS.

25. Beth says:

I wish I understood why people don’t like Agents of Shield.and Agent Carter. Both shows are way more entertaining than whatever is on CBS.

• Zero says:

I loved Agents of SHIELD as tv-show about Agents without superpowers in a world with superpowers. I stopped watching because I don’t like this Inhumans-show. I dislike that Secret Warriors are seemingly going to replace the S.H.I.E.L.D.-Team.
      Season 3 gives Superherofans what they want (InhuMon – gotta catch them all!), but they don’t like what they get.