Supergirl Renewed

CBS' Les Moonves Hints at Supergirl, Limitless, Code Black Renewals

It looks like Supergirl will remain airborne for another season.

At a Tuesday-morning Deutsche Bank Media, Internet & Telecom Conference, CBS CEO Les Moonves revealed that “about five” of the network’s rookie series will be back next fall. The exec didn’t specify which quintet he was referring to, but when you eliminate the already- (and hastily) cancelled Angel From Hell, that leaves six freshman contenders: Supergirl, Code Black, Limitless, Life in Pieces and the yet-to-premiere Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders and Rush Hour.

Supergirl opened strong, settled and stabilized, though at last tally slipped to a series low; to date, it is averaging 8.1 million weekly viewers and a 1.8 demo rating. Limitless thus far is averaging 7.5 mil and a 1.4, while Code Black pulled 7.1 mil/1.3 across its 18-episode debut. Leading out of Big Bang, Life in Pieces has enjoyed an average of 8.9 mil/2.0.

Beyond Borders bows Wednesday, March 16 at 10/9c, while Rush Hour takes over the Thursdays-at-10 slot starting March 31. (Elementary moves to Sundays at 10 starting March 20.)

1. Kelly says:

Yay for Code Black!!

• KeithH says:

Code Black’s producer tweeted some time ago that they were already back at work and didn’t even bother to strike sets after season 1 production ended.

• dan says:

Great news if it turns out to be true! Code Black really improved over the course of the season and I found myself actually caring about the storylines and characters (as opposed to the already-renewed Quantico which is almost unwatchable). Also happy about Limitless which has developed an interesting quirkiness to offset some intense plot lines.

2. Ded says:

Sheesh, why hint? Just come out and say what’s coming back!

3. Erik says:

WHERE IS PERSON OF INTEREST!!!!!!

4. Ms Thing says:

Yay for Supergirl!

5. Phun says:

A BIG HUMONGOUS, GIGANTIC, ENORMOUS, STUPENDOUS (and any other ‘BIG’ word you can fit in here) YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS for SUPERGIRL!!!!!! Made my morning. :)

6. Cobra says:

Just renew Elementary!

7. Kate says:

Well, in order of general rank I’m more pleased by Limitless (though it sort of seems to me that it is taking the genre place of Person of Interest on CBS’s schedule in a lighter tone and not holy crap our cell phones are conspiring against us) though I sort of worry about how much story they have.

8. PriceIsRightCancelled says:

I have a feeling that CBS’ rookie shows will be back for another season. Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders will breakthrough before the March 16th debut. As for the TV version of Rush Hour, this should be the Eye network’s biggest disaster.

• Jennifer says:

That was my thought … the only one that seems it will go nowhere is Rush Hour. Beyond Borders I think has a built in fan base – between Gary Sinise and the CM base. At least, that’s what I’m hoping.

• BrightLight says:

The promos for Beyond Borders make it look WAY more enjoyable than the first CM spinoff. As for the promos for Rush Hour, I’m so sick of them and it hasn’t even premiered yet. I had the same issue with Angel from Hell and we see how that ended up.

• Jennifer says:

I actually liked Suspect Behavior. Just not Janeane Garofalo. Could not deal with her. But i do agree – they seemed to have learned and adjusted with BB.

9. Z says:

I’m happy for Supergirl… couldnt care less for those other shows.

10. ninamags says:

I hope Life in Pieces gets renewed. That show is beyond hysterical. I love Colin Hanks’ role.

Yay for Supergirl! Limitless is getting old, real fast. I just have it on as background noise whist I fiddle on my iPad.

• PriceIsRightCancelled says:

Couldn’t agree more. Life in Pieces continues to have a big boost for a Big Bang lead-in and this is what CBS needs to find a hit sitcom to breakthrough. Give credit for Supergirl which is one of the new shows I’m still hooked since the beginning.

11. B says:

Life in Pieces has really grown on me and is now one of my favorite shows. If it and Limitless are renewed I’ll be happy with the results.

12. Marco says:

Happy for Limitless and Supergirl. Between this and my country (Italy)’s recent start of broadcasting it, it seems like a sign to continue ‘Code Black’ (due to series overload, I’m stuck at the pilot). Don’t watch LIP, but I’m happy for those who do. And, it seems they have confidence in CM:BB.

13. Eric says:

I hope Supergirl, Limitless and Life In Pieces all make the cut. I’ve been enjoying those three quite a bit.

14. Phoenix5634 says:

Only one I watch on that list is Supergirl, sometimes Limitless.

15. Jim says:

Limitless, Code Black & Supergirl are the ones I’m glad got renewed. Don’t watch the others, but I’m sure I’ll add CM:BB after it airs. I love limitless & was worried it wouldn’t get renewed.

• PriceIsRightCancelled says:

Really hope Beyond Borders should be a better CM spin-off than Suspect Behavior five years ago and I’m happy for Gary Sinise returning to the CBS family after an amazing run on CSI: NY that lasted nine seasons.

• chung2music says:

Agreed. Suspect Behaviour was just terrible. Forest Whitaker did a terrible job leading the show, not to mention the sub-par supporting cast. Hope Beyond Borders will actually do a better job but I don’t know, I have reservation. Especially since it involves international cases. I hope it is as good as Crossing Lines (although this one has a different pretence but still involves international cases)

16. Gerald says:

Yay Limitless best original show on TV right now. And glad Supergirl is doing well, but less original.

17. DanielleZ says:

Glad Code Black is among this list of possible renewals. It is my favorite new show this season.

18. Mari says:

Code Black all the waay!
    Marcia deserves tp be on our screens on weekly basis.

19. Kailani says:

Love Code Black, and I thin Life in Pieces is one of the funniest shows on TV right now. Good quasi-news!

20. Dean says:

Remember ladys and gentlemen this is NOT official. Simply a PR assurance, an it won’t mean squat unless the shows has ‘officially renewed’ in the statement. Don’t get your hopes up.

21. Rkar says:

Life In Pieces! Hilarious

22. Josh says:

Hoping Supergirl gets that second season!!

23. JimC says:

Big thumbs up for both Supergirl and Limitless.

24. Jim J. says:

I think if CBS renewed five 2015-16 freshman series for the 2016-17 season, then that would leave limited room for next season’s freshman shows on the schedule. CBS should only renew only two or three of the ’15-’16 freshman shows. “Supergirl” and “Life in Pieces” are most likely to return for 2016-17, even though “Supergirl” destroyed the netork’s comedy division by taking away the last Monday comedy hour and “Life in Pieces” loses so much of its “Big Bang Theory” lead-in. “Code Black” could probably end up cancelled, and “Limitless” could go either way. Wait till the premiere of “Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders” before making any renewal decision, CBS.

• Mary S says:

“would leave limited room for next season’s freshman shows on the schedule. CBS should only renew only two or three of the ’15-’16 freshman shows. ” – So what and why? If they already have shows that have good fanbases and are growing successful why replace them “just for the sake of” introducing new shows??
      The purpose of adding new shows is (in theory, at least) to replace failing shows and add audience. I watch and enjoy ALL of the new shows and see no reason to replace them! Of course, networks have OFTEN cancelled shows that I enjoyed and replaced them with stuff that I wouldn’t watch if they were the only shows on TV…As the old saying goes, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Hopefully the Can’t Be Sensible network will suddenly and finally become sensible and allow today’s freshman shows to become sophomores!

25. di chell says:

Love code black

26. chung2music says:

Seen them all, can say without a doubt Code Black triumphs all. Limitless started so strong, but got old after just 5 episodes. If I have to choose to exclude one, it’d be Limitless. So glad CB got renewed, it’s one of the only debut I could actually enjoy throughout the season.

27. Rich says:

Supergirl desperately needs new writers if it gets renewed. They say it started out horribly bad and it gets better, which is true: but slightly better than horrible is still pretty bad especially the dialogue and writing. They have decent characters and the property holds lots of potential, but gotta polish off the cringe-worthy of what could be a fantastic show.

• chung2music says:

I agree. Supergirl as of right now is a terrible show. As much as I love Melissa, Supergirl should not get renewed just on the basis that it has done nothing good till now.

• JimC says:

It’s been renewed and will continue to be renewed as long as roughly 7 to 8 million people are watching it. Even if it doesn’t, CW will gooble it up where even 3 or 4 million viewers is a large increase. It’s not going anywhere whether you guys like it, love it or detest it. Your opinions of the show or anyone here, myself included….are now irrelevant. It is a success.

• chung2music says:

Supergirl is CBS. Also the viewership has dropped massively since debut till the recent episode (it has halved). I don’t consider that a success. I don’t believe it’ll get renewed continually like you are saying. But yeah agreed about that, what we think are irrelevant if a show is successful.

• JimC says:

Ahhh, I never said that CBS would be the network that continually renews the show. DC and Berlanti have had themselves a very nice run on the CW. Even if the current numbers of Supergirl drop by 50%…..it would be more than enough for a profitable run on the CW.

28. Melissa says:

So glad to hear some good news concerning Code Black, it’s hands down my favorite new show this season. It started out great and then went on to get even better through out the season until it became much watch TV for me. I am also glad to see Life in Pieces and Limitless as likely renewals.

29. David says:

I only watch Supergirl and Code Black so really want those renewed, especially code Black, the best medical show I have seen since ER. Beyond Borders, I am hoping, is a success and leads to a long run as I like watching Sinise as he is such a good actor and I love CM (I even really enjoyed SB despite some meh characters)

30. Stacy Whitney says:

I only watch Code Black and I’ve watched Limitless on and off. I am more interested in the other shows on CBS that I watch….am really crossing my fingers for Hawaii 5-0 and Blue Bloods. I know Criminal Minds is basically a lock but my Friday shows have me nervous!

31. Terence K Wetzel says:

Supergirl, Code Black, Limitless, and Criminal Minds Beyond Borders better be all coming back.
    Anyone know how they get the ratings, I was never polled, what about everyone recording shows? I have directv and can tape 5 shows at once, a lot of times I’m taping at least 3 shows at same time and love all three. Do they all get counted? I think the number of viewers they quote are way off if you consider current taping capabilities.

32. confidential says:

Show got into trouble near late last year, early new year. But its much better now.

I worked on the show but shooting coming to Christmas last year they were just being very very cheap.

The actors were being overworked, the background were being played around to cut pennies even though they were doing well in the rating.

That started to really take a toll on everyone. It was a tense environment and no more fun.

I still don’t know why they became so stingy but after December all the monstrous decision makers and staff were all fired due to decline in ratings.

Thank God because now things are way better and relaxed. We have professional ADs etc and not make shift ones cutting corners to save pennies and as a result we are now making much better episodes.

Moral of the story, don’t bring in makeshift staff, don’t try to cut corners for pennies, keep everyone happy (hooray the occasional food truck catering is back) and now we make great episodes and the rating is getting high again.

33. Mary Liz says:

Awesome that Code Black will be back. I can’t wait.

34. Susan says:

I absolutely love Code Black!!!!! I never missed a night that it was on!!!! Please bring it back for many more seasons. It shows you just how things really happen in life and how fast things have to be decided on. Life or death matters. I would hate to see it go!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT

35. Robert Reynolds says:

Mike and Molly had good ratings but was cancelled without little notice. Is this because of Less Moonvess did not like the show?

36. Sharon Coleman says:

I enjoy Code Black and Super girl, but I absolutely LOVE Limitless! It is a thoughtful, quirky, and entertaiNing show that I would hate to see go. I hope that CBS reconsiders, and gives this wonderful show another season…it could become a real winner!

37. Marley says:

Limitless is one of the best shows, i’be enjoyed every single cepisode. I wish that Person of interest is enewd

38. Judith Gentile says:

I absolutely love Liimitless. The goofy sweet main actor and situations remind me of the best of Supernatural- serious but with a sense of humor. Please don’t cancel!

39. Mella says:

Keep limitless.
    A smart, fun drama that is thought provoking and a pleasure to watch. Brian and Rebecca are hot and the sexual tension LIVED!
    Do not cancel!!!
    PS Person of Interest rocked it. Keep that’ll one too PLEASE.

40. Doctortimelord says:

Oh thank God Code Black is back. After House this is the only show that makes me fall in love with medicine all over again. Being a doctor, I love how everything is portrayed on the show. People shouldnt even think of cancelling Code Black as there are no more quality medical shows available. Greys anatomy is just soapy drama where docs bring their mom and daddy issues to the hospital and when they are not doing that, then the only other thing they have left to talk about is sex. By now, I dont think there would be anyplace in the Greys anatomy hospital where its doctors havent had sex yet. I was also wondering when do these docs of greys anatomy make time to study to become the best and excellent surgeons in the whole world as they are portrayed to be when all they’ve got on their mind is who to hook up with? who to cheat on with their spouse and etcetra