Game of Thrones: A Shot-for-Shot Look at What the Season 6 Trailer Does — and Doesn't — Show Us

OK, Game of Thrones fans: It’s time to throw some furs on the ol’ iron throne, make yourself comfy and settle in, because we’ve got some work ahead of us.Our collective task: Poring over HBO’s just-released trailer for the series’ upcoming sixth season, because it is packed full of images that bear very close scrutiny. As you’ll see once you’ve watched the video — go ahead and do it; we’ll wait — the promo is a dark (literally and figuratively) look at what’s ahead in the seven kingdoms once the drama returns on Sunday, April 24 (9/8c).

We shed some light (again, literally — thanks, photo-editing software! — and figuratively) on almost all of the images you see in the 1:41-minute spot. Some, like a blind Arya, aren’t surprising, based on what took place in the previous season’s finale. Others, like How Cersei Got Her Groove Back, are a pleasant-if-violent surprise. Still others, like Jon Snow’s corpse laid out like a buffet, hit us like a wildling ambush. And some we’re just really not sure about — so you’ll have to help us out.

Click through the gallery below to see nearly every shot in the preview, then hit the comments with your theories, thoughts and predictions for the season to come!

1. PriceIsRightCancelled says:

The first shot of the trailer made me sad and I can’t wait for Cersei’s road to redemption after showing her true colors in the season finale.

2. DW says:

Jfc, so much wrong! The “Ironborn” shot are actually Starks (Ned at the front I believe). And the dude is not Theon, it’s Euron.

Also, Melisandre* not Melisandra.

3. DW says:

Also, “khaleesi’s forces are busy”?? That is the Bolton sigil. Who wrote this????

You disappoint me, TVLine.

• I did. Hence the byline. At first glance, thought those were Daenerys’men behind the shields. But you’re right, and it’s been amended. — KR

• DebG says:

Don’t worry about DW, I’ll bet he messes up orders at the Drive-thru all the time. I for one thought your work was great. Thank you!

4. Wordsmith says:

My prediction: Davos helps Melisandre steal Jon’s body from the Watch in order to work some witchy goodness/badness

• Wordsmith says:

And mystery photo 18 is the Watch trying to break into some room in Castle Black – I’m guessing to stop whatever Davos and Melisandre are doing.

5. Wordsmith says:

Correction: the soldiers in 36 are Bolton troops, not Unsullied – note the “flayed man” on the shields.
    Also, the IRL version of their sigil is what is going on in #4.

6. Mak says:

-Girl on girl action seems to be Theon’s sister with some random girl.
    -“I choose violence” – Best line ever!.
    -The way Bran’s shots appear in the trailer I assume he’s in the midst of a vision.
    -Hand with the ring is probably Melisandre looking into the flames
    -Slide 18 : that’s probably the night’s watch with Ser Alliser budging into that room where Jon Snow’s body has been carried…they probably want to burn his body
    -Slide 35: That person jumping is definitely Arya still in Bravos trying to master relying on all her other senses besides sight
    -Slide 44: That’s in Kings landing and we’ve not seen that armor before so I’m thinking it’s the Tyrells Army from High Garden send by Margery’s grandmother to go get her grandkids.

7. Mak says:

Also it looks like Little Finger is back in in the north and from what Sansa is wearing she’s also still in the North.

8. Ian says:

Damn, Cersei looks good with a boy cut!
    Fierce, Mama!
    This season looks so so good.
    And while Im sure Jon will be resurrected, I think they’ll make us wait some episodes for it. It just seems like its going to get paced out with Davos finding the killers, getting Melisandre’s help, etc. I actually dont mind him being dead or undead. That part of his destiny died with Ygritte, sadly.

9. Grey says:

In The girl-on-girl scene….it actually looks like the girl on the right is Yara (Theon’s sister)

10. bobbie says:

Read the books, but gave up on the show when it looked like they weren’t going to fix the problems in the books and even made some of it worse. This trailer has me intrigued, I look forward to seeing reviews of the season to see if I should start watching again.

11. Jason Stoesz says:

The guy with two swords is certifiable badass, Arthur Dayne, the Kinsguard who knighted Jaime Lannister. Guessing this scene is when he battles Ned Stark and then Ned finds his dead (or dying) sister in the Tower of Joy.

12. digitalred93 says:

The sword in Davo’s hand belongs to Jon Snow. Look at the white hilt – the sword’s name is Longclaw. The former Lord Commander Jeor Mormont gave it to Jon a few seasons back.

13. Amy says:

Is that Ghost with John Snows body? Did they kill him? I hate it when the wolves die!!!

• Mariana Trench says:

That’s what I was wondering! Altho it looks like Ghost may be mourning Jon’s body and could still be alive.

• justin says:

I think he is ready to pounce one the Night’s Watch men that are trying to get through the door.

14. Kelsey Drew says:

Anyone else think slide 18 looks like the Knight’s watch guys are going after ghost?

15. Anon says:

I think slide 17 is a Tower of Joy flashback; the guy at the front looks an awful lot like one Ned Stark…

16. Ashley C says:

Looks like Tormund going to fight against the Boltons. That’s a Bolton shield in the background. Maybe to help a resurrected Jon Snow take back Winterfell?

17. Walkie says:

No more doubting that Snow is dead and he’s staying dead.

18. ami says:

I think the banner in #24 is also the flayed man (i.e. Boltons). But no idea who they’re fighting, since Stannis is gone… Maybe the North got sick of them and decided to finally send them packing from Winterfell…

• ami says:

Oh I just saw the comment above about the wildlings going to fight the Boltons. That’s right, I forgot. Makes lots of sense.

19. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Awwww….poor Ghost standing behind Jon’s body that Red Lady Melisandre BETTER resurrect him!!!!!! Kahleesi and her Dragon being stranded they need to get back home like for real. Can’t wait to see the 1st episode.