Post Mortems
Quantico Season 1 Spoilers Caleb Alive

Quantico: Is [Spoiler] Dead?! And 5 More Pressing Questions Answered

The following post contains spoilers from Quantico‘s midseason premiere.

Aside from having a head of hair kissed by the angels themselves, Quantico‘s Alex Parrish just can’t catch a break, can she?

In Sunday’s midseason premiere, which took place three months after the bomb that detonated in the last moments of the midseason finale, Agent Parrish found herself answering to a committee investigating the explosion. Pretty much everyone involved — including Sen. Claire Haas, who lost her husband (and maybe her son? We’ll get to that in a minute) in the attack — wanted Alex to testify that Elias was the one and only terrorist behind both the Grand Central and FBI command center bombings.

Problem was, Alex just didn’t believe Elias acted alone. So she once more found herself trying to figure out the identity of the elusive criminal, while her friends/former classmates begged her to “let this go.” And Alex might’ve done so… if a hacker who’d helped her when she was on the lam hadn’t committed suicide by jumping from the Brooklyn Bridge. His last words, directed at Alex? “Tell her I thought I didn’t have a choice.”

Quantico Season 1 Episode 12 Caleb Alive Dead

After a passionate plea from Ryan, Alex goes before the committee and testifies that Elias acted alone — but her former classmates aren’t appeased, because they know she doesn’t believe it, and she’s still going to investigate the matter on her own. And then at the end of the episode, Alex gets a call that brings her to a remote location where she finds Natalie Vasquez, scared and with a bomb strapped to her — seemingly against her will. The takeaway: Alex may not have been the terrorist before, the disguised voice on the other end of the line informed her, but she will be now.

Meanwhile, back at Quantico, Miranda and Liam combined our NATs’ class with the class ahead of them, and some nasty rivalries began. But that also means there are double the number of hot people in Henleys, so we’ll allow it.

Below, series creator Joshua Safran gives TVLine the scoop on the new NATs, previews Alex’s not-so-bright-looking future and drops a hint or two about whether Caleb is alive or dead. Read on for the details.

TVLINE | You’ve said that the second half of the season allowed you to fix some areas you’d perceived as problematic in the first half. How so?
There’s a clarity of storytelling that we’ve been able to do. We tried to jam too much into both storylines in the first half, and we are proceeding more slowly with the future timelines in the second half. We’re focusing on one or two characters at a time, not bringing the Scooby gang together so quickly or even at all. I think that really helps. Also with the new recruits — I don’t know why, maybe we’ve gotten better at it or we figured out how to do it — they integrate really seamlessly and it doesn’t feel like it’s off story in any way to go into their stories and relationships. We learned the balance of that, too. I think I was trying to jam “every trainee has to have a piece of their backstory in every episode.” And I think now, it’s like, “no, you can learn about Drew in Episode 13 and you can learn about Iris in Episode 14. It doesn’t have to be constantly everybody all the time.”

Quantico Season 1 Episode 12 Caleb Alive DeadTVLINE | The two classes didn’t blend very well in this episode. We saw a lot of competition between the two. Will that continue?
You have to learn how to work together as a family in the FBI. You’re not competing against each other. It’s not like who can be the best lawyer to win the case or who can be the best doctor to get Chief of Surgery. They learn very quickly how to work together. There definitely is friction, but it comes from outside pressures. For instance, one of them might learn about somebody’s secret life and not know what to do about that… Next episode [13] is the one where you see them all come together. [Laughs] It does come to blows a little bit between Iris and Shelby before that happens.

TVLINE | Caleb wasn’t seen alive in the future in the episode. What can you say about that?
I can say that Caleb will not be seen in the future for a very long time, if at all.

TVLINE | Is it safe to say that when Shelby is talking about trying to save Clayton’s life at the FBI command center, she might’ve mentioned it if Caleb had died, too?
It’s safe to say that Caleb didn’t die, but that’s not to say that Caleb wasn’t harmed.

TVLINE | We’ll continue to see Mark Pellegrino in the Quantico timeline?
He is in the Quantico timeline, yes.

TVLINE | I was bummed Eliza Coupe wasn’t in this episode.
We had a certain amount of episodes for her, so we wanted to mete them out properly. You will see her in the next episode. She has one of my favorite moments in the whole series in the opening act. It’s so fun to write for her, because we write these huge monologues and she delivers them flawlessly! It’s this character that just speaks in monologues and no one ever can cut her off. It’s really fun. She has a great one in the next episode. And then in an upcoming episode after that, finally Alex just yells at her, “Stop talking!”

What did you think of Quantico‘s midseason premiere? Grade the episode via the poll below, then hit the comments speculate about what’s next!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. N says:

Yo that was crazy. Love this show…. I gotta work out

2. BB says:

I was very underwhelmed. Thought it borderlined boring. Hope it picks up a little. Didn’t care for the new additions at all.

• dan says:

Agree. Almost fell asleep. I was hoping a few of them would’ve gotten acting lessons during the break, unfortunately that didn’t happen. They’re a pretty cast, but we won’t be seeing any Emmy noms for this bunch.

• Alichat says:

I was alternately bored and confused. There was enough downtime for me to forget outlying characters… Duncan. When the cop told Alex he died, I said outloud ‘who?’ And now they’ve introduced more NATs. It just doesn’t hold my attention as it did in the beginning.

• Shonda says:

I didn’t care for the new additions either. They aren’t needed. Not enough time spent on the bombing storylines.

3. Sophie says:

What!? Why no Caleb in the future? I don’t like that at all.

4. PriceIsRightCancelled says:

I give it an A and I’m happy that Quantico got renewed for a second season. I hate to see Graham Rogers having another TV gig being short lived like he was in Revolution (NBC).

5. Anon says:

But I watched this show because of Caleb 😭

6. Alyse says:

I’m guessing Caleb is in a coma then since we won’t really see him in the future but he isn’t dead. I’m not really a fan of the new recruits, hopefully they become more likable.

7. Timdogg says:

Like most episodes of Quantico, I was left confused by the end! I feel that the introduction of the new NAT’s, while it opens the field to more potential suspects, comes out of left field.

So the entire time our NAT’s are searching for the real bomber, they never thought to question the upper classmen that they shared time with?

8. Night Owl says:

I want to address the (altered) voice on the phone. I may be wrong, but I would swear that I could hear an underlying female voice on the phone. It actually reminded me of Shelby’s voice. Am I the only one that heard that?

• Alyse says:

I though the exact same thing!

• Night Owl says:

I just re-watched the last 10 minutes and it’s definitely female. If it’s not Shelby, it’s someone that has the same pitch, but my vote is Shelby.

• Night Owl says:

By the way, I’m glad to know I wasn’t the only one that heard it.

• Bigdede says:

I thought it was obvious that Marcia Cross character is the altered voice. That’s why her husband died in that bombing. She tried to kill him and Shelby. It’s predictable

• Night Owl says:

Was that made clear in a spoiler or otherwise? If so, please share. It sounded more like Shelby’s voice than her mother’s.

• bigdede says:

Sorry it’s a theory that me and a couple of people on Twitter was talking about.

• Night Owl says:

Understood. Thanks for the clarification. It sounded like Shelby’s voice to me. I could be wrong, but I think Marsha Cross’ voice is a different pitch. I wasn’t trying to be a jerk when I asked if there was a spoiler. I didn’t know if she was already identified as the voice. I’m happily willing to change my opinion if I’m shown wrong. It’s quite possible it was a different female, but definitely female. I’m voting for Shelby for now, but I won’t write off Claire either. I’ll listen more carefully to her pitch to see if it’s similar. Of course, I’ll probably be listening to all the female voices more carefully, lol.

• I think it’s her too. In the scene right after Alex gives her last testimony (reversing her position and claiming that she thinks Elias acted alone), they show Caleb’s mum talking to the press – she looked like she had one of those irrepressible smiles that only come out when people think they getting away with something (usually selling a lie). It def looks like they’re trying to play her off as the ~evil mastermind at first, until we realise her intentions were actually good, albeit seriously misguided. She’s probably manipulating Shelby, Booth & his spy partner, and Caleb, whether or not any of then realize it.

• Carla Krae says:

I heard voices of multiple characters layed over each other, which is obviously intentional to keep teasing who is the terrorist from their class.

9. Bryan says:

A nice return to form episode. There were a lot of things left up in the air and I liked how they didnt drop anything. Let’s see if the ratings hold up

10. wrstlgirl says:

I find that I enjoy this show so much more when I dvr it and ff through the stupid flashbacks. I do the same with Arrow now to. No Caleb is a bummer, he’s by far my favorite.

11. Bigdede says:

Does every ABC show have flashbacks? HTGAWM, The Family and Quantico. It’s getting tiresome. Did we really need these new NATs? We barely know everything about the current recruits. Liam and Alex “romance”, what’s going on with it? Where has Ryan been after his break up with Ms. Fake Scar? Why does Miranda’s 19 year old son look 35? Basically this episode was just Alex’s hair looking fierce

• Shonda says:

Lol lol yeah they did not need the new recruits.

• bj says:

He looks 35 because he’s in his thirties.

• wrstlgirl says:

I think the flashbacks work in HTGAWM and The Family. Seeing how something happened in the past is affecting the current characters lives but in Quantico I find them completely unnecessary. Maybe one or two for certain characters but I don’t need to know how many times so and so hooked up and where to follow them currently. Just my two cents. And Alex hair is a big issue with me. It’s very distracting, lol. I take issue with women who are always flipping their hair to get it out of their face. Buy a damn barrett!!!!

• Shonda says:

I really wanted to see the fallout if Ryan lying to Natalie about helping Alex. They set up so much good stuff in terms if the relationships only to drop it.

12. Para says:

I just have to say…. the agents on this show are really ridiculously attractive… cant you throw one of two normals in the mix?

13. Wouter says:

That was one of the most frustrating hours of TV I have ever watched. You’re telling me that after a terrorist attack with over 200 casualties the FBI’s just like “well that’s gotta be it. No one else is probably involved. That Alex chick is obviously lying eventhough she’s been thoroughly involved throughout this whole thing.”

Last episode I ever watched. The writing on this show is just laughable.

• vinsh says:

Clearly a ridiculous idea, that everyone would want to stop any further investigations about Elias’ accomplice after such a (double) disaster. I couldn’t believe Alex was the only one still searching for the truth. Maybe some of the other caracters have reasons to avoid the truth (fear ? blackmailed ? political reasons ? personal involvement ?), but every single one of them ? Come on.

14. Lee says:

My excitement for the return of Quantico was short lived during the first 15 minutes of the episode. I was hoping to find answers about the bombings only to presented with new recruits and the constant jumping from one time to another. Sheesh! Maybe Quantico needs a Talking Quantico following each episode to explain what the hell was going on!

15. Mandy says:

I loved this episode minus Shelby being annoying, seriously she made the choice to sleep with a married man but it is Alex’s fault her secret came to light? GMAB! I really hope we see Caleb in the future, I love his character and he deserves better than Shelby!

16. amadeline says:

It’s just getting too confusing to follow. How many people are we going to have to keep track of/care about? I want to love it, but it’s losing my interest.

17. sunflower says:

I agree that I hate the time jumps. It’s so confusing. I feel like I don’t understand anything unless I read the TVline recap afterwards..

18. LaLa says:

It’s the same storyline . . . Once again Alex is the outcast, except at this point, she’s reinstated. I’m disappointed. Now we’ll have to watch her convince everyone, again. I thought this second half was gonna hit the ground running, but it doesn’t appear so.

19. Tammy says:

This show tries WAY to hard to be fresh and provocative and it’s neither. Everything falls flat. It’s soapy and predictable. Days of our lives with bombs. I’m out.

20. JM says:

Alex always being right, and everyone else wrong is getting old really fast.

21. N says:

This show is wildly unbelievable. Their “training” just consists of them playing games and having the power to cut each other from the program. Yeah, ok. I’m not saying anyone is watching this show for the realism, but still.

22. Movie says:

Very good series! Thank you for this article, it was interesting.

23. joe says:

I agree there were too many new people introduced. got very confusing. JUst a coincidence, but my son in law arrived at Quantico on sunday to begin his NATS training

24. Nick Hayden says:

i really thought simon asher was the actual bomber of grand central station