The Vampire Diaries Recap

The Vampire Diaries Recap: 'You Don't Get to Say Goodbye'

To kill or not to kill — that was the question on Friday’s Vampire Diaries as disturbing new details about Rayna’s magical immortality came to light.

It turns out the Armory possesses the bodies of the shamans (aka the “Everlastings”) who sacrificed their lives to keep Rayna going like the Energizer Bunny, and with every life she loses, another Everlasting body goes poof. Damon managed to whittle Rayna down to her last life — with all the comedic theatrics of a Bugs Bunny/Elmer Fudd cartoon, might I add — before learning of a most inconvenient truth: If Rayna dies, all of her marked targets will die along with her. (Gulp!)

To make matters worse, Stefan and Valerie’s search for more mark-sealing herbs proved fruitless, dashing all hopes for a quick fix to the problem. And poor Stefan barely had time to process all of this before an angry Matt Donovan showed up at his doorstep to inform him that vampires are no longer welcome in Mystic Falls. (Uh, Matt, wouldn’t it just be easier for you to leave town? Use your head, human!)

In the midst of all the madness, Damon decided that it was time to take that 60-year nap we’ve been waiting for all season — a decision that was met with overwhelmingly negative responses; a furious Stefan told him not to do it “if there’s even a fraction of you that cares about me,” while Bonnie… well, I’ll just let her words speak for themselves:

I am not OK with this decision. I’m not OK with you choosing yourself. And I’m not OK with never seeing you, my best friend, ever again. … This hurts me. This hurts me. As you desiccate, and as you feel the pangs of hunger, as the blood drains from your body, that’s what I want you to remember: that you hurt me.

Not only was Bonnie’s speech beautifully written — two thumbs up, Brian Young! — but Kat Graham knocked it out of the park. If you doubted the emotional connection between Elena’s boyfriend and best friend before this week’s episode, I hope Graham’s performance changed your mind.

[INSERT THREE-YEAR TIME JUMP HERE!]

The final moments of the episode finally caught us up to the flash-forwards we’ve been enjoying all season, at which point we were served up one final twist: Rayna has the ability to transfer Stefan’s mark to Damon — and his brother wants him to do it!

Additional Thoughts:

* Stefan is more than 100 years old, and he’s only gotten high once? He should have spent more time with Oscar. (Though, I’ll admit, I appreciated the Rebekah reference.)

* “Caroline’s staying in Dallas with Rick and the kids” was the saddest, most divorced-dad statement I’ve heard from Stefan in a while.

* Also, did Stefan’s invitation for a trip to Europe remind anyone else of a certain Klaus/Caroline scene from Season 4?

* Penny has to be at least a distant cousin of Amanda Peet, right? #Twinsies

OK, TVD Nation, let’s hear your thoughts on this week’s episode. Drop ’em all in a comment below.

1. Chase says:

She didn’t accept the Europe invite because she’s waiting three years in the future for a certain hybrid to fufill his promise :) “maybe in a year, or a century” How about three years??

2. marydspain says:

Rooting for Steroline no matter what!

3. Jason says:

They had to find a legitimate way to work in Candice’s maternity leave. She has to be separated from Stefan for a while so of course Vampire Diaries is going to find the most emotionally devastating way of doing that. The Steroline ship will find it’s course again eventually. It’s just that it won’t happen until we’ve endured the proper amount of suffering.

4. Phoenix5634 says:

Awesome episode, the scenes with Damon and Rayna were pretty funny. Are the herbs that went missing possibly what Enzo used on Bonnie to cancel her magic?

Also for the shippers, this proved again Klaus knows Caroline better, or at very least can relate better with her. Klaus just told Stefan that she wouldn’t want to be away from her babies basically, and then Stefan asks her to come with him while being hunted. Stefan and Valerie are better together anyway, does no one else see chemistry between them?

5. Kathy says:

I just need Steroline to be together that’s all. 😂😫

6. Cole says:

Stefan is always giving Caroline the choice and that’s wh I love steroline. He just wants her to be happy. Just like when klaus said he INTENDS to be her last Stefan said he would wait until or if she was ready. Big diff.

7. Stacy says:

Yes, the first thing I thought about when Stefan said that to Care was Klaus’s offer to show Caroline the world, Rome, Paris, Tokyo? Hopefully Steroline is finally done, Stefan should have listened to Klaus. Now I can understand why she hasn’t been in contact with Stefan during the last 3 years.

• Shaun says:

That is likely due to Stefan leaving her with Rick while she thinks he ran off on her for 3 years.It will get sorted out.

8. esmeralda312 says:

Bonnie and Damon tonight!!! I can’t!!! They stole the episode yet again. Kat Graham is so immensely talented.

• cher46 says:

The best ad most heartbreaking Scene ever, They’ve been the strength of TVD this Season. Awesome Job by Ian an Kat, especially Kat.

9. The best scene of the episode, Bonnie’ speech to Damon.

10. Michelle says:

Can Bamon become a thing already, I never seen a friendship with this type of history, angst, and emotional depth before. This is a legit epic relationship waiting to happen. Gawd, I can’t even remember anything else from the episode.

11. Ian says:

I hope Michael reads this: without question, Kat Graham is Actor of the Week.
    God. I was in tears right along with her in that scene tonight. She’s just so phenomenal.
    I’m speechless.

12. maria says:

Best Scenes between tonight where between Damon and the huntress and especially the Damon and Bonnie Scene, heartbreaking. Bonnies Speech and the Pain and Tears in Damons Eyes. Great Job Kat and Ian.

13. From Bamon’s first scene to their last, they absolutely owned this episode! Many kudos to Brian Young on an episode well written, and to Kat Graham & Ian Somerhalder for an episode tremendously well acted!

14. It was season 3, Andy! But nice try!

15. Chantall says:

Kat graham always knocks it out of the park, her talents go behond the show

16. Chantall says:

So heres what im thinking if caroline and all the girls end up as a family, the twins and hope bam! A new power of three=charmed its like i can hear the theme song and opening credits

17. Lou says:

Caroline deserves so much better than a cheater as boyfriend, I’m glad Steroline is finally over, can we have Klaus back in tvd now?

• TayMads says:

Exactly how is Stefan a cheater? Because he kisses Valerie in the future? If you are calling him a cheater then you have to call Caroline one too since she IS engaged to Alaric.

• Bella says:

Thank you! I’m sick of all the Stefan hate. If you want to hate someone hate Julie for forcing this pairing on us in the first place. Stefan and Caroline had a really great friendship that shouldn’t have been tampered with. Stefan and Caroline are good people who shouldn’t have been put together obviously.

• Ally Oop says:

The only thing I ever liked about Steroline was it got us away from the annoying Klaroline pairing. Honestly, it’s nothing against the actress, but I’ve never been a big Caroline fan. I like both the characters of Klaus and Stephen way too much to want them to be with Caroline. She’s too annoying. I like Stephen much better with Valerie and Klaus much better with Hayley.

18. Liza says:

The CW knocked it out of the park Friday night! Both TVD and TO were superbly done!!!

19. Faye Randell says:

This episode was amazing for Bamon. To have someone final sacrifice themselves for Bonnie is something I thought I’d never see. To have her express her emotions the way she did gave me chills. Kat Graham owned this episode!!!

20. Bonica Magica says:

Ian Somerhalder and Kat Graham kill us with their great great perfomance ever. Yes, I never saw this kind of relationship if Bamon Haters said they dont have chemistry. This episode proves evrything. The angst and the tension between these two person totally out of regular bestfriend. Its clearly not only Bonnie was rubbed by Damon’s behaviour, its happen to Damon too. He choose to not tell and say Goodbye to Bonnie even its hurt him and not to say, it give a biggest impact on Bonnie. Well Done! Kat and Ian perfomance pull our heart and sit with them together.

21. Chantall says:

I think kat graham has been outstanding since the first season we just never noticed because of all the elena drama.

22. Amy says:

While I appreciate that Damon has had it tough without Elena and him saying that she brought him true happiness and fulfillment that he can’t quite find without her shows that she is his truest love, it was quite selfish of him to leave his brother and Bonnie. I know that he is also doing it to protect them but he could just have left and then could have at least written or called them from afar. Dessicating may dull his pain but its a method that severs his relationships in every way. Still good episode.

23. claire says:

maaaan,caroline deserved better. stefan didn’t even properly break up with her and then went gallivanting with his ex around the world. is he for real?!?! like,at least talk to her and don’t leave her thinking she’s still in a happily committed relationship for god’s sake! steroline was always about stefan and always will be,caroline literally had no character development within this relationship,in fact she regressed to her insecure old self. it’s painful to watch for me,as a #1 caroline forbes stan. also valerie saying caroline is a small town girl who likes to settle??? are you for real right now??? caroline always had this fierce wanderlust within her(‘small town boy,small town life it won’t be enough for you’,anyone?),but she always tried to hold on as much as she could her humanity,and that was liz forbes. with her mom gone,she tried to hold on her college dreams. and now the babies. she isn’t a small town girl,caroline forbes is meant for greatness,she’s only grasping the remnants of her old life because she knows that once she let go of it,there’s no going back. klaus knew that,and that’s why he told her he’ll be her last love,he wants eternity with her and he knows she’s not ready yet,she hasn’t quite let go of her humanity to embrace her forever. that’s one of the inumerous things that makes the klaus/caroline relationship so appealing. he understands her like no one can,and he is willing to wait until she’s ready,and while she’s not,he’ll do whatever it takes to ensure her happiness,even if it’s not with him. in my opinion,his selfless love for caroline is the uttermost character development we’ve seen from him,the man who went from ‘love is a vampire’s greatest weakness’ to ‘i intend to be your last love. however long it takes.’
    this is not about a ship,it’s about how the evolvement of each character flourishes within the dynamic.

• Bella says:

IMO both Stefan and Caroline devolved because of this relationship. Stefan is caring and thoughtful and considers others feelings and Caroline as you said matured after becoming a vampire but with this relationship went right back to her s1 self. Between this and them having no chemistry Plec made a huge mistake by moving them from friends to lovers.

• Bella says:

I meant that Stefan use to be that way in his relationship with Elena but in this relationship he’s very different.

24. spu says:

Steroline scenes just broke my heart this episode. The phone call and especially when Stefan stares at Caroline through the window and realises he lost her :( ;( Fix this, Julie Plec. Stefan better get a happily ever after no matter who he ends up with.

• Tori says:

Agree that Stefan deserves a happy ending, he just needs someone he has chemistry with and Steroline need to go back to being what they are good at and that’s being friends.

25. Kelly says:

Kat Graham killed it and she slayed me💘💘💘 What a powerful scene for her. Very heartbreaking 💔💔💔

I felt so bad for Bonnie bcuz she first loses her family since birth Jeremy and then Elena. Now she just didn’t lose a bestfriend, Damon was like her only family left. Her mom is MIA, heck she really didn’t have a relationship with her. Caroline and Ric are also gone. Matt lives in Mystic Falls, Bonnie at Whitmore College all along. I guess Enzo was all she had left. The way he’s always giving her the googling eyes and trying to convince her that Damon didn’t care about her i knew then that he wanted her for himself, someone to have his back like Bamon had each others.

Over all the actors all did an amazing job on this episode very emotional.💞💙💚💜💛💔💔💘

26. Angelica says:

It’s so funny ppl actually think Steroline is over, they will come back to each other, and Paul did say Stefan will fight for her , it’s not to late Steroliners!!

27. Sharon says:

Don’t normally “ship” but really continuing to love Damon and Bonnie together. Not missing Elena at all. Anyone else think Davina’s unsiring spell could be adapted into an unlinking spell?

28. m2 says:

Please let Steroline be over for good! It’s a perfect example of how to ruin two great characters because of a forced relationship.

29. Chantall says:

Tori did you watch the crossover? I swear stephan had that instant spark with freya,when he walked in and klaus introduced them it was great, i dont think ive seen stephan have that much chemistry with anyone else before.

• Bailey says:

I loved that scene between Stefan and Freya, there was an instant spark and that has been lacking between steroline. Stefan had great chemistry with Elena/Katherine (Paul was specifically picked because he had chemistry with Nina) and he had chemistry with Rebekah there’s just not fiery/romantic chemistry with Caroline.

30. Deion says:

While I enjoyed the episode, Matt’s little ultimatum was an extremely lame reason for Stefan to leave Mystic Falls. And him coming to that decision after talking with a woman he’s known a week is just as weak. Stefan was essentially the last of the vampires anyway. Caroline was more than likely never coming back, Damon was marching to 60 years of desiccation, and the heretics were gone. After wiping up Julian’s vampires, it would have been over. I get why Stefan left without a fight, but it was still lame. Matt essentially told Stefan that everyone he knows would have to leave. Did that apply to Tyler and the werewolves? What if The Originals decide to revisit their hometown? Were witches on that list as well? Literally everyone Matt knows is a supernatural. Would they all have to go?

31. Chantall says:

So that means that matt would be alone start a new life, and thats how it all ends?