Sleepy Hollow Season 3 Episode 13 Recap

Sleepy Hollow Recap: The Devil You Know — Plus: Abbie's Secret Revealed

I’m going to come out and say it, Sleepy Hollow faithful, and you can holler if you hear me: I don’t care about Pandora’s origin story.

So the fact that this week’s episode spends so much time establishing Mrs. Hidden One’s backstory is a bit of a bummer, especially because the hour also includes a real breakthrough in the Witnesses’ relationship. Wouldn’t it have been cool if the show have devoted more time to exploring Abbie’s important revelation?

But if wishes were golden hourglasses, we’d all ride, I suppose. (Or be omnipotent. Or something.) Anyway, let’s review what happens in “Dark Mirror.”

Sleepy Hollow Season 3 Episode 13 RecapA BRUNCH HUNCH | Abbie goes for a run in the woods, is struck by more flashbacks of being in the catacombs, then comes home and fondles the giant symbol she painted on her shed’s wall. She thinks she’s holding it together well, but during a Team WTF brunch, Ichabod and Jenny have a little confab in the kitchen: They both know Ab is hiding something, but they’re not sure what it is.

Other highlights of the brunch: We learn that Ichabod’s application for American citizenship was turned down because he missed his formal interview (he was rescuing Abbie from the catacombs, which is just like when Beverly Hills, 90210’s Dylan missed his SATs because Brenda had a Very Special Episode about breast self-exams), and Jenny introduces Crane to mimosas (so you really came out ahead, anyway, Ich).

THE DEVIL’S DETAILS | Abbie gets a call about some deaths, and when she and Ichabod arrive on the scene, they find two professors of antiquities slashed and poisoned and all kinds of murdered by “a menagerie of evil,” as Abbie puts it. The killings match some we saw earlier in the episode, so we already know what the Witnesses don’t: that a horned creature in colonial garb is responsible, and he’s doing The Hidden One’s bidding.

Pretty soon, Mills and Crane realize that the creature responsible for the deaths is likely the Jersey Devil, and that said devil is actually Japeth Leeds, a rival of Benjamin Franklin’s whom Ichabod knew back in ye old day. Ichabod and Abbie go to the site of Leeds’ old laboratory — which is still there, underground — and find the following: dust, candles, more dust, a Christmas-ornament version of Abbie’s favorite symbol (more on that in a sec) and Leeds’ steampunked-out film projector.

Via the clunky old projector (which, as Abbie notes, was way ahead of its time), the Witnesses watch a movie all about The Hidden One — whom Leeds worships — and Pandora. The short version: Pandora was a human who served the gods and was nice to The Hidden One, who’d been banished to the catacombs because of his eeeeeeevil nature, because she felt bad for him. So he gave her a box full of all the badness in the world — aka Pandora’s box — and she opened it to kill his brother god and something about an hourglass and… guys, I can’t. Let’s just move on. The upshot is that Leeds is trying to recreate the hourglass to restore power to The Hidden One, and he’ll have to melt the artifacts he stole from the antiquities scholars in order to do so.

PRIORITIES, ABBIE! | Leeds, of course, interrupts the Witnesses as they’re pawing through his lair. And his attack leaves Ichabod poisoned (thanks to Leeds’ scorpion tail) and Abbie knocked out. But when she comes to and realizes her partner is about to kick it on the floor, she heeds his gritted-out instructions and concocts an antidote to the poison. Still, the symbol beckons her, to the point that she ignores her writhing partner’s dying pleas for help in order to stare at the rune like it’s a Where’s Waldo? spread.

Finally, she comes to her senses, pours the mixture down Ich’s gullet and then cradles both him and the symbol to her chest while she waits for the antidote to work. It eventually does, but she’s busted: Abbie admits she was “distracted” at the worst possible time, and he acknowledges “It has a hold on you.” Abs eventually cops to the fact that her obsession has been going on for months, and this quick, quiet scene between Nicole Beharie and Tom Mison is a bright spot in the episode.

ZAPPED | The pair eventually tracks Leeds to a high point where he summons lightning to melt the artifacts and forge the hourglass, but by the time Abbie spears him with his own lightning rod — and then Mother Nature takes him out via sizzling bolt — the fruits of his labors have disappeared. Later as we watch, the all-powerful hourglass rises out of Pandora’s Jacuzzi of evil. I’m still not real clear on this whole hourglass thing, but that just can’t be good.

Back at Casa Witness, Abbie can’t let go of the symbol, and it’s a little awkward when Ichabod comes home and catches her fondling it. (Side note: That sentence sounds so much dirtier than it really is.) She tearfully admits that she needs his help, and they have another nice, supportive moment.

THIS TRAILER AIN’T A-ROCKIN’ | In other news, Jenny and Joe’s post-brunch sex plans are thwarted by her beat-up old trailer springing a massive leak in the kitchen. I suppose this is a nice change from the reason most people’s post-brunch sex plans are thwarted: day-drinking and too many waffles. Anyway, Joe wants to use the “blood money” from Nevins to fix her place… but he oversteps and just buys her a giant new Winnebago instead, and she is IRKED. Then he puts everything back the way it was, and she is CONSIDERABLY LESS IRKED but he still gets no lovin’. Side note: I love how he calls her “J.”

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Angela says:

I liked Abbie opening up to Ichabod at the end, too. I’m definitely more invested in that story at the moment. I don’t mind the idea of Pandora as a villain, but yeah, tonight’s episode was kind of confusing (course, my mom was watching with me and asking all sorts of questions throughout, so I didn’t catch everything as a result). Abbie’s behavior lately had me a little worried, so I’m glad she’s working on trying to take care of this. And I’m enjoying seeing Ichabod do his part to help and support her through all of this. They’ve had some really sweet moments together lately, so I’m all for more of those where possible.
    Also, Abbie’s “acoustic Bon Jovi” line gave me a good laugh tonight. That was cute :p.

2. Simon Jester says:

You don’t like the fact that the episode spent “so much time” establishing Pandora’s backstory? Huh? It was maybe 5 minutes of a 42-minute episode!

• Radha says:

What she means, and rightfully so, is that Pandora is like the suckage of uber suck. I don’t care for her as a villain and I’m not a fan of the actress either. I can’t speak for the recapper but 5 minutes of a 42 minute episode was too much for me too. I don’t want to suddenly be shown backstory on a villain who so far has not been shown to be sympathetic. I don’t CARE about her backstory now, way into the season. I just want them to defeat her.

• DarkDefender says:

And therein lies the problem.. 5 minutes of “backstory” seemed like and enternity within the episodes. Hence.. Radha’s well founded “suckage of uber suck” comment.

3. Judi says:

Hi, its pleasant post regarding media print, we all know media is a wonderful source of (Judi)

4. Alichat says:

“These eggs are named after a traitor to this nation!” My favorite line of the episode… I love a good Eggs Benedict.

5. ohsnap says:

Really liked the Ichabod/Abbie moments. This is the most vulnerable I have ever seen Abbie with Ichabod. More please!

6. Melissa says:

Fun episode, and I liked learning about Pandora and her boo’s backstory. To each his own I guess.

• Sarah says:

I liked it too. The little flowers they gave each other were strangely sweet. And I don’t mind scenes of The Hidden one and his unbidden pecs AT ALL. I am glad Abby opened up to Crane.

• suzi says:

I am right in the middle here. I don’t mind The Hidden One and Pandora, and their relationship is interesting–however as villains I find them lacking next to the classics of Season One. I hope the show gets a chance for another season, and perhaps come full circle back to Headless and the full Witness mythology.

• Yes, I agree w/that. Even if we keep Pandora and THO, Headless should still be lurking about causing trouble here and there. He’s a Sleepy Hollow staple, however the story is to be told. This show changed a million things from the original Washington Irving story; it isn’t supposed to be the same so that’s okay. BUT you can’t have any version w/o the Headless Horseman. He doesn’t even have to have a huge arc, just be part of the story.

7. scyren says:

Best episode all season. Loved the Ichabbie moments. Nicole was stellar as usual displaying her internal pain. Loved when she was holding him and wishing him back to life. Even though he tried to give her space, she called to him asked for his help and it just reminded me how glorious their bond really is.

I think I’m going to miss the Jersey Devil. At least he had personality, something the Hidden One hasn’t conjured up yet. He still bores me. I think he’s the worse villain they’ve ever had on the show. Pandora barely has a personality around him and he sucks the life out of her. I don’t think he was really needed. Pandora was causing havoc on her own and was just fine. I miss Ben Franklin. The quips make me miss him even more. I really wish they’d find a way to bring him back. The twisted history is what drew me to the show along with Tom and Nicole and I miss that. I love the tie ins and references. More of that please (without Betsy preferably).

Joe and Jenny are just meh to me. They just have a more brother/sister vibe with no sizzle. They’re just lacking depth to me. It’s full of forced Jenny cliches with him just tagging along for the ride. It’s clear who wears the pants in that relationship.

Ichabbie and the depth of their bond is what keeps me watching. The writing in this episode was so much better. Last week left me scratching my head. This week, I couldn’t wait for the commercials be over.

Did anyone else jump when they blew the hole in the lair? lol. I was that into it. #renewsleepyhollow

8. N says:

At this point I feel like I should just finish out the season, but UGGGHHH! This show is beyond terrible.

9. csg says:

Actually, I think Pandora’s backstory was overdue so I welcomed it. Joe & Jenny give this show a romance that the show was lacking. Abbie’s “addiction” story might have come across better if the lead-up had been stronger. The colonial flashback reminded me how much I miss the character of Ben Franklin. (His banter with Ichabod in S2 were priceless.) Scene for scene, it was a good episode.

10. Candy says:

Im so relieved dat Ich finally found out wat is troublin Bbbs.
    And those moments between dem-PURE GOLD!!

11. evababy says:

Since the symbol that enthralls Abbie has some connection to Pandora and The Hidden One (or at least his God family) , I do think it is necessary to establish something about their origin. Also it is much more fun for the show to plant clues and let us try to figure out the connections rather than just telling us in a big info dump later on.

Honestly I want to know more about Pandora and THO’s history with The Witnesses. They’ve made statement about the long history between the two pairs. And that table Ichabod found in the season opener can’t just be a throw away thing.

12. reesecup1908 says:

I could really care less about Pandora. The backstory was confusing, but I refused to rewind and listen to that again! I found myself missing the 4 horsemen. Isn’t that what the Sleepy Hollow story all about? Couldn’t they have killed the horseman of death, and then another horseman could have risen and taken his place?

But on the plus side, I’m glad to see Abbie and Crane’so relationship back to how it was first season.

Side note: I may be the only anime fan here, but I was getting a Fullmetal Alchemist vibe from this episode with the creepy doctor experimenting on himself and turning into a chimera.

13. reesecup1908 says:

I could care less about Pandora’s backstory. The story was confusing, but I refused to rewind it and listen to that again! I found myself missing the four horsemen of the apocalypse. Isn’t that what Sleepy Hollow is all about? After they killed the horseman of death, couldn’t another horseman rise and they had to defeat him next?

But on the plus side, I am glad to see Abby and cranes relationship back to how they were in season 1. And I love the Jenny and Joe scenes.

Side note : I may be the only anime fan here, but I was getting a Fullmetal Alchemist vibe from this episode. Down to the evil doctor who experimented on himself and turned himself into a chimera.

14. DarkDefender says:

That was one entertaining recap, Kim! Any time you can slip in a 90210 reference –> It.Is.Gold.
    Unfortunately, your recap was way more entertaining than most of the episode (i.e.: pandora’s box back story of boringness) LOVE the IchAbbie moments.. It is Nicole and Tom’s chemistry that makes this show work.. Odd that TPTB do not understand that.
    On a side note: Typing Nicole and Tom have chemistry, also reminded me that Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise had zero chemistry… But I digress.
    Still..,Can’t be said enough.. Bonus points for the memory of Dylan missing the SAT’s for Brenda’s “very special episode.”

15. Scarlett says:

Season 2 was all about putting every obstacle known to man in the way of Ichabbie. Season 3 began with them physically apart, then separated by Catacombs, and now, Abbie’s obsession. The Miharie chemistry is golden, and continuously wasted. Loved their moments in this episode, especially Abbie cradling Crane after the antidote and kissing him on his head, and her asking him for help with her possession or addiction, or whatever. Pandora is a good villain this season, and I can’t wait until she rebels against the misogynistic Hidden One. Jenny and Joe are tired–bossy broad and weak dude. Joe needs a backbone, and should have her come over to his cabin. Who wants to shag in that ratty trailer, anyway?

16. Ruki says:

The episode title is ‘Dark Mirror’. Black Mirror is a British satirical drama.

17. AK says:

J is a total B.

18. BL17 says:

I would like to see Abbie and Jenny softened some when talking to/with the men in their lives that care about them. They are both a little too stoic at times for my taste. To improve the show overall, Tom Mison needs to put on a little weight and muscle. He looks like he is truly struggling with the physical action scenes. Otherwise, I really love Sleepy Hollow and I am hoping for a Season 4.

19. necle says:

I actually am interested to see more of their origin story. So I suppose it was a nice compromise that they cut it short?

20. Radha says:

I kind of agree with a poster’s comment above somewhere about how the writers have Jenny and Abby talk sometimes to Joe and Ichabod. I don’t know why it’s so hard for them to portray strong women and not have them sound like they are bossing their male counterparts around. I don’t want to see a man running the relationship, true, but I also don’t want to see a woman do it either. Why is it so hard to have equal representation in a relationship/partnership without either person coming off as harsh?

21. Dr says:

Episode was overall good had to really concentrate to understand the story line at least writers made you think. Was the Jersey Devil, Christie on a true diet – he was evil and lusting for power. Politics aside still trying to wait how Pandora and the witnesses are intertwined, waiting to see how this all comes together with the apocalypse story.

22. Jo Chrisco says:

I want to thank you. Your episode summary was “spot on”.

As for my clear demonstation of cabin fever, I do wonder if Abby’s obsession with some rune (which I’m sure is drawn somewhere in the book of Shadows from Charmed), is part of or a divergent manifestation of her mother’s breakdown? She has always dwelled on (as do we all) her sanity.

23. Rogers says:

I will admit that this season hasn’t been as great as the first two. I don’t care about Pandora or her “love.” Betsy Ross is in the opening credits, but her contribution this season has been very little.

I also don’t understand why Ich can’t have a relationship. He liked the historian, she liked him. Why not.

24. Donna says:

I wish they brought back the. Original cast and slow down. You don’t have to slove a mystery every episode. I love this show and every much hate to se . It. Canceled.