New Girl 100th Episode

New Girl: Jess/Nick 'Developments,' Schmidt's First Name, Reagan's Future and 5 More Season-Ending Scoops

A bachelor party, a wedding and (maybe) Schmidt’s first name, oh my!

When New Girl airs its milestone 100th episode next Tuesday (8/7c), the Fox comedy will kick off a run of very eventful spring episodes, most of them in preparation for Cece and Schmidt’s long-awaited nuptials.

But even before Cece takes that walk down the aisle, there’s other business for the show to attend to, including Jess’ return from jury duty, her first face-to-face interactions with Reagan and bachelor/bachelorette soirees that sound absolutely insane.

TVLine recently caught up with the stars and producers of New Girl to find out coming down Season 5’s homestretch. Read on to see what they shared:

THE BOY IS MINE | Now that Nick has locked lips with new-new girl Reagan, executive producer Brett Baer admits it would have been “the obvious decision” to make Jess jealous of Megan Fox’s character upon returning from jury duty this Tuesday. Instead, viewers will see the two women forging a unique  and perhaps slightly uncomfortable  relationship when they first meet. “I didn’t want to write a story with two women at each other’s throats,” explains series creator Liz Meriwether. “So we went the other direction with it. We kept all of the drama inside [Nick’s] head.”

REAGAN REDUX | Speaking of Fox’s well-received guest stint, Baer says there are “definitely” ongoing conversations about bringing Reagan back beyond her current arc, adding, “We love what her character brings to the table for the Nick-and-Jess dynamic — and for all the characters.”

FATHER OF THE GROOM | As Schmidt prepares to recite his vows in a few weeks’ time, The O.C.‘s Peter Gallagher will be back to play his father once again, Meriwether confirms.

New Girl Nick Reagan KissFIRST-NAME BASIS | Will Cece and Schmidt’s wedding ceremony finally answer the question surrounding the groom’s elusive first name? Meriwether says she and the writers are “leaning that way,” though Baer confesses it still might not be the right time: “Do we do it now? Do we hold it? We realize it’s very difficult to do a wedding and not mention people’s names.” (At the very least, Max Greenfield has his own idea of what his alter ego’s first name should be: “Brad. Brad Schmidt. I told Liz, [but the writers] don’t buy it.”)

GET THE PARTY STARTED | Considering Jess, Nick & Co. can barely get through a day without something going very, very wrong, it only makes sense that Cece and Schmidt will party hard during their final days as single people. Though Greenfield can’t say much about Schmidt’s “crazy” bachelor party, he can tease that it features “the desert and motorcycles,” while Hannah Simone says Cece’s bash “may involve  accidentally  some criminal activity.”

WEDDING DAZE | Though Meriwether assures us that Cece and Schmidt will make it down the aisle by season’s end, she and her fellow EPs agree it’s been tough to craft a wholly original TV wedding. “We’re trying to do it in a unique way,” Baer shares. “We’ve done one wedding already for Cece, so we want this one to be more special and emotional.”

WHAT’S WINSTON GOT TO DO WITH IT? | And lest you be concerned that Winston won’t get a romantic storyline of his own this season, Morris implores you to think again. “[The writers are] playing around with an idea that I have a crush on my cop partner, Aly, played by Nasim Pedrad,” he reveals. “I don’t know if it’s going to go there or not. [Pedrad] did just get a pilot picked up… but if it were up to me, yeah, Winston needs some love.”

WILL THEY OR WON’T THEY? | That only leaves one question: What will become of Nick and Jess? Even in the wake of last Tuesday’s Nick/Reagan kiss, Meriwether isn’t ready to give up on the spark between the maybe-soul mates. “Ships never sail. In many ways, their relationship is the heart of the show,” she says. “Actually, Nick’s relationship with [Reagan] helps bring things into perspective for Jess, in a good way. There’s definitely some developments that are on their way by the end of the season. Dot, dot, dot.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

New Girl fans, which of our scoops are you most excited about? Sound off in the comments!

1. Ashley says:

I’ve always loved Nick & Jess together, I feel like they are the core relationship of the show. The writers didn’t handle their relationship in the best way the first time around but they belong together in the end.

• Ginny says:

I used to be wholly against them getting back together. But, now I’m less opposed. When they were together I think they did a great job of showing that while they had the chemistry, sometimes love just isn’t enough in a relationship between two very different people. But, I also think they’ve done a good job of making Nick grow up while still staying true to the character.

2. canukchick says:

When I first heard Megan Fox was coming to replace during the mat leave, I was a little concerned. Surprisingly, I haven’t missed Jess at all, and actually I’m dreading her return. I think that Regan adds such a better energy to the show, and I love how the characters all play off of her compared to Jess.

• De says:

Right there with you. I haven’t missed Jess one bit. I am dreading her return. Her character has always irritated me. I was shocked at how well Fox’s character blended with the others. They all did a great job.

• ? says:

Same here. I think the problem is that Jess went from “cute” to “annoying” somewhere along the line (it happens as sitcoms age, all the characters’ comic personality traits get exaggerated as more jokes about them are told), and having Reagan as a straight face to play off of helps ground the comic scenarios again.

• lorna says:

Are you aerious???????

• acurat says:

I think a lot of us dreaded Megan Fox because her past history showed a hot actress who really could not act. She was cast right in this situation and I think to everyone’s surprise, her performance this time is quite believable. I wonder in those years mostly not on screen when she was married if she took additional acting lessons? She actually seems better now. Not Shakespeare, but better.

• Toni says:

I haven’t missed her either. :(

3. JDH says:

Is Coach returning in the lead up to the wedding??? In the Season 4 Finale, Jess said “see you at the wedding”, & in the Season 5 Premiere, Winston read a note from Coach that he can’t come back for every party, but he’ll see them at the wedding…

Has this been confirmed with Damon Wayans??

4. Wordsmith says:

And if they can’t get Megan Fox back for follow-up episodes, they could swap in Odette Annable, and probably no one would notice.

• Reba42 says:

She was already on an episode, where Jess busted her chin and told Nick on painkillers that she wanted to bone.

5. Kay says:

I stopped watching the show when they broke Nick and Jess up. Their relationship was the heart of the show. I really hope they get them back together.

6. Megan says:

The Nick and Jess relationship has always been the heart of this show, IMO. No, season 3 wasn’t very good for them at all, but season 4 was even worse. After the break up the writers simply ignored what they had for a really long time and for me it felt like it was missing something on New Girl. They used to be the most unique relationship there, wether as a couple or just friends attracted to each other. I hope we get to see more of their complicated relationship again this season.

• lorna says:

I noticed that one episode they declared their love for one another.then the next they break up.makes no sense at all.especially when nick said hes loved jess from day 1.im confused

7. Matt Barnes says:

I don’t understand why they would say that they’re “playing around with the idea that (Winston) has a crush on Aly.” He’s already admitted that and asked her out! (Which, by the way, they just ignored this week.)

8. Dan V. says:

When did Peter Gallagher appear?

9. i_kissed_a_trekkie says:

His first name could be Aiden or Alexander Schmidt. I can even see him as a James or Neil or even Hugh(after his grandfather). It would be revealed on the wedding..because Cece would say I take thee …………. Schmidt.as my husband

Please don’t give him a girl’s name….it would be too predictable and this show, i’d like to believe is above those kinds of jokes.

• Person says:

Honestly what I think would be kinda funny was if his name was Nick too, hence why he goes by Schmidt, so there’s no confusion between the two of them

10. Larry says:

You know Nick wants a threesome

11. Brad says:

Why Brad?!

12. Jooshua says:

“The O.C.‘s Peter Gallagher will be back to play his father once again.” Wait.. WHAT?! Did I miss an episode?!? Or are you talking about another series?

13. Audrey WB says:

I hate Nick and Jess… Heat of the show? No not for me… These spoilers made me sad…

14. Max says:

Nick & Jess, bad idea. They work better as best friends.

15. Hannah says:

I want to see what happens between Nick & Jess now that Reagan’s in the picture! I really hope that Nick realizes his feelings for Jess again!

16. Bruh says:

Omg. I don’t need Nick and Jess back— PLEASE. Reagan is such a breath of fresh air for the cast. I was so surprised at how much I loved Megan Fox being on the show. She’s way more than a pretty face. She’s very comedically talented, and she works so well with the rest of the cast. People love to deny it because they want Nick and Jess back together, but it’s pretty clear that Nick and Reagan have chemistry. I guess it’s subjective, but that whole last episode had a lot of amazing chemistry between them.

I don’t want Jess to come back. Her whining, singing, and teacher drama can stay off on jury duty. Reagan is way more fun to watch, imo. I certainly don’t want Nick and Jess back together. They had nice chemistry and a nice build up, but when they dated, the show became ALL ABOUT THEM. It was so boring. I honestly hated season 3. They fixed that mistake with Schmidt and Cece, and I think people love that. Schmidt and Cece don’t take the entire plot away. They have cute moments, and still are hilarious together.

Lastly… Winston. My god, I’ve never shipped him with anyone the way I ship him with Aly! The whole beginning about how she didn’t want Winston to fall for her, and he was like “never gonna happen”, but then he fell for her. I’m crying (not really, but they’re hella cute and I’m sad they’re not together yet). Winston hasnt had a proper love interest in a while. His last semi-good one was Shelby (Daisy was horrible by the end). I love him with Aly so much. I hope they can get Aly to stick around. I need them together!

17. Sarah says:

I’m feeling like Schmidt’s name should be Meriwether. Explains going by Schmidt, it’s a bit of an inside joke and it’s hilariously horrendous.

18. lorna says:

Plese please put nick and hess back together.they are the odd couple .i love them.megan fox doesnt need to be in it anymore.

19. minnegirl says:

Sorry, but I can’t wait for Jess to get back. I just don’t like Megan Fox as the Jess substitute. I am probably the only one that feels this way but Jess is Jess and no one can replace her.

• grace says:

This is how i feel. Although they shouldn’t rush things with nick and jess if they dont end up together ill be sad.

20. What the hell are they smoking at the Fox studios, the 100th episode was almost a month ago. Called “Reagan”… ring any bells?

21. Anon says:

I just hope Jess and nick are endgame. Cuz I might be the only one who thinks this but I actually really liked them together.

22. User7375 says:

I LOVE Jess & Nick together!!

23. Wanda says:

I could not watch the episodes with Megan fox, to much of a know it all. Hated her and nick. besides wasn’t she a lesbian in a long term affair.