Star Trek New TV Series

Gina Torres Lands Lead Role in ABC's Death of Eva Sofia Valdez Pilot

Suits vet Gina Torres has been cast as the title character in an ABC pilot called The Death of Eva Sofia Valdez, our sister site Deadline reports.

UPDATE: The Death of Eva Sofia Valdez was not picked up to series, and will not be happening.

The Death of Eva Sofia Valdez follows its central character, a Cuban immigrant who built herself into a successful entrepreneur and now is a vocal advocate for immigrant rights in Miami. But Eva’s ambition can flare out of control, affecting the well being of her family, and there’s also the matter of (perhaps literal) ghosts from her past knowing exactly how she scraped her way to the top. Oh, and did we mention that Eva burns with the desire to carry out revenge on a lover who did her wrong?

Eva Sofia, which would be Torres’ first series-lead role, wouldn’t immediately affect her part on Suits. But if the series is greenlit, Torres will remain a regular through the USA Network drama’s upcoming sixth season “with her character likely phased out,” Deadline reports.

The Death of Eva Sofia Valdez is written by Cuban-American playwright Charise Castro Smith and executive-produced by Michele Fazekas, Tara Butters, Castro Smith and ABC Studios. The cast includes Raúl Castillo (Looking), Angelica Celaya (Constantine), Marta Milans (Killer Women), Zabryna Guevara (Gotham), Alison Fernandez (Law & Order: SVU), Christina Pickles (Friends) and Christian Ochoa.

In addition to Suits, Torres’ TV credits include FireflyRevengeHannibal and Alias.

Thoughts on Torres’ casting? Hit the comments!

1. M says:

Happy for her that she’s getting her first series-lead role, but super upset if she’s getting phased out of Suits.

2. Bella says:

From first glance, this new show doesn’t sound very good. I’d hate to lose her from Suits, besides.

3. Luis says:

Oh, yes please

4. Gerald says:

Not all pilots go to series. No offence. i am sure she would be great, but she is SO integral to Suits. I hope it does not get picked up.

5. Shaun says:

Time for a buddy comedy,Lewis and Harvey clawing their way back up the ladder.

• PatriciaLee says:

They are the most interesting dynamic, that’s for sure. Jessica might be the most sophisticated suit, but Lewis and Harvey are the main entertainment. Spin-off time!

6. Mary says:

I think they pretty much killed suits, anyway I don’t see how they can make that go. The whole premise of the show was Mike…

7. DebG says:

I dunno, I’m not sure I’d want to be the lead character in anything titled “The death of…”. It doesn’t sound like a very secure gig.

8. HAP says:

Season 6 of Suits will air this summer. Lots of questions whether there will be a season 7. Gina has just signed on for a pilot. If it gets picked up for fall, she will porbaly have completed Suits season 6 by then.

9. Dani says:

Gina Torres is awesome but this new show seems too niche. Heck the title alone doesn’t sound appealing. I understand if it’s on a cable network but ABC?

And Suits need to end next season anyway. Mike’s secret has been out for so long and now justice was served. The show has nothing to offer now other than what happens after Mike’s you know. I hope the cast of Suits continue on new shows though especially Sarah Rafferty.

10. c-mo says:

This sounds good, if it goes to series, I’m in!

11. Dennis says:

Don’t forget her awesome role as Jasmine on The WB’s “Angel”!

12. Andy77 says:

No she can’t leave Suits. Aaron Korsh has a new two year deal with USA so who’s to say that they won’t get a seventh season to wrap things up. I’d be seriously bummed if any of the main cast left before the end.

13. Leo says:

It broke my heart to see her “take” other projects. She’s such an important presence on Suits and it will kill me to see her “phased out”.

14. H says:

Even if the pilot gets picked up, I hope they don’t phase her out of Suits because the new show sounds terrible. Probably won’t make it to a full season.

15. David says:

Um… No. Gina is the best thing on Suits. Obviously I want her to get a lead role but how about one that doesn’t take her out of Suits.

• Senén says:

After today’s episode it looks like Gina Torres is leaving. I’ll miss her. I think the series should end too. This wasn’t the best season.

16. Phoenixdeb says:

Go back to fire fly.

17. Bree says:

Hurt! But so happy for her! Loved her in Suits though. I will watch both!

18. Keith Jones says:

I’ve watched Suits faithfully since the 1st season. Gina Torres’s character is one strong backbone in the show as is all the cast. This is one show that all the characters are in sync. It’s going to be interesting to see how theyou will mend it all back together again.

19. Richardson says:

Very upset she is phase out of suits, strong Smart black beautiful women are far in few. It saddens me, therefore it will be hard for me to continue to follow suits

20. riky k says:

She is gone lets move on. always thought she was a fifth wheel

21. Phyllie says:

I enjoy all characters on suits. Suits needs Jessica.