Star Trek Gene Roddenberry's Son Executive Producer

Star Trek Creator Gene Roddenberry's Son Joins CBS' Series Reboot

Like galactically minded father, like son: Eugene Wesley “Rod” Roddenberry Jr. has signed on to executive-produce CBS’ Star Trek reboot, TVLine has learned.Roddenberry Jr., president of Roddenberry Entertainment, will join fellow EPs Alex Kurtzman, Heather Kadin and showrunner Bryan Fuller for the Eye Network’s new take on his father’s classic space-exploration series.

Star Trek will launch on CBS in early 2017; subsequent episodes will then be available exclusively on CBS All Access, the network’s on-demand and live streaming service.

Roddenberry Entertainment chief operating officer Trevor Roth also has boarded the series as an executive producer.

“Gene Roddenberry, the Great Bird of the Galaxy, left a finely feathered nest for all who love ‘Star Trek’ to enjoy,” Fuller said in a statement. “And it is only fitting that Rod Roddenberry and Roddenberry Entertainment join our new Trek adventure to ensure that his father’s legacy of hope for the future and infinite diversity in infinite combinations runs through our tales as Gene Roddenberry intended.”

Roddenberry Jr. voiced his excitement about the series via statement, as well. “Moral dilemmas, human issues, complex characters and a genuine sense of optimism: These are the cornerstones of Star Trek and are what have made it such an influential and beloved franchise for the last 50 years.”

He added: “While I will always be humbled by its legacy and the legions of fans who are its guardians, it’s a genuine honor to be joining a team of imaginative and incredibly capable individuals whose endeavor it is to uphold the tenets of Star Trek’s legacy while bringing it to audiences in a new era and on a contemporary platform.”

1. Officus topicuss says:

she makes about 250 a week

2. Drew says:

Not to sound ungrateful or rude, but like Chris Carter, Gene Roddenberry was not the best at writing his own material. It was only after he gave up control of the shows that TNG became watchable, and more importantly, DS9 was allowed to exist at all.
    I don’t know what Rod can bring to the table here, so I’m not sure that there is much of a reaction for me to have. Now, if the news had been about Ron Moore producing the show, I would have been excited.
    I’m curious to see where this new series will fit into the continuity of the franchise. I’m a life-long Trek fan. Still, I’m not paying for CBS.

• Annie says:

Add George Lucas to that list as well.
      And omg if Ron Moore was producing. *siiigh*. But alas he’s busy. I’m hoping they get Jeri Taylor on board.

• David Markham says:

You’re a moron. George Lucas is the only one who knew how to write Star Wars correctly. He was telling a story. Roddenberry was creating a series, which is a very different thing.

3. David4 says:

Star Trek: TNG got amazing when Gene Roddenberry and his lawyer were gone. He isn’t needed at all. I much rather have any number of amazing sci-fi writers instead.

• Melody says:

Yeah I recently watched the reruns of Season 1 of TNG on BBC America and I can’t get over how bad it was

4. Weezy says:

Is it just me or does this feel like a lame attempt by networks to try to increase their revenue streams? So in the future if I want to watch a show, I’m going to have to purchase a cable or satellite plan for the broadcast network AND buy their live streaming service? I should’ve realized this is the direction it was going to go once the Hulus/Amazons/Netflixs of the world built a successful model.

I’m sure it will be quite affordable at first and will only include 1 or 2 shows. Then all of a sudden when the service “matures” and the customers are locked in, the cost structure will change completely and consumers will be punished accordingly. If we had any foresight, then we would NOT CONSUME this Star Trek series and make it clear, as consumers, we are tired of being nickled and dimed to death.

• David4 says:

The issue isn’t that networks wanting you to charge you for cable and their streaming service, it’s the fact that in the near future they know cable packages will be useless. This is a switch over from paying for cable to paying for streaming. Like Netflix went from DVDs to streaming old shows, to making their own.

Streaming CBS is going to be replacing live network CBS soon.

• Dean says:

Not surprised considering their reputation as ‘the old people network’ they need new innovative ways to brag about ratings. Once upon a time CBS was the heavy hitter in ratings more than half their programs got 3.0-4.0 and they canned anything that got 1.9. These days their saving grace is Big Bang and NCIS which only gets less than half of what it use to get.

5. David says:

I won’t buy the service when I can probably own the dvd/blu-ray set a year later for $25.

• Annie says:

Ha Hahahah do you know how much Star Trek DVDs cost?? They are easily the most bloatedly priced tv seasons out there. I don’t know if they’ve gone down in price since streaming is preferred method, but like 4 years ago it was at least $90 a season. I’m a die hard Trekkie and I only managed to get the Voyager complete series after several years of saving (and I bought them used to boot!)

• Youry says:

Here they’re priced at around 90 euros per season for dvd. Bluray more like 120. So yeah, utterly ridiculous.

• tvjunkie says:

The were well over $100 a season when they first came out on DVD. I think some seasons were even close to $150 originally.

6. Tom says:

ENCOURAGING NEWS! Now just confirm that it’s NOT set in the JJverse and instead in the RoddenberryPrimeVerse

7. Mai says:

I’m glad Star Trek is finally making another show. The franchise has been without a show for too long for me. Hope this reboot is not so different that it changes what makes the world of Star Trek loved by so many fans.

8. Zoe says:

First Bryan Fuller, then the writer for Treks 2 3 and 4, and now Roddenberry Jr? God, it’s like a dream team.

9. Bark Star says:

Get rid of Kurzman and between Fuller and Meyer you got a good team. Roddenberry brings the name (and maybe talent, who knows)