GOP Debate Donald Trump

GOP Debate No. 11: Donald Trump's Big [Spoiler], 'Little Marco' and More

The four men remaining in the running for the Republican Party’s presidential nomination assembled Thursday for the 11th GOP debate, and — surprise! — Donald Trump dominated the two-hour event with utter nonsense.

Below, enjoy five of the former Celebrity Apprentice host‘s craziest statements from the debate:

* On Mitt Romney, who publicly denounced Trump’s candidacy earlier today: “[Romney] was a failed candidate. He should have beat Obama easily. He failed miserably. It was an embarrassment for everybody, including the Republican Party. … He wants to be relevant, he wants to be back in the game.” (It should be noted that Trump was asked to speak about his own policies, rather than simply attacking Romney.)

* On former Ku Klux Klan Grand Wizard David Duke’s endorsement of the Trump candidacy: “I totally disavow the KKK. I totally disavow David Duke. … You’re probably the 18th person who’s asked me this question. … Take a look at my Twitter account.” (We’re glad Trump has publicly denounced the Klan, but let’s be real: If one’s feelings about the KKK need to be clarified, there’s a larger problem there.)

* On calling Senator Marco Rubio a “lightweight”: “I would like to take that back. He’s really not that much of a lightweight. He [made fun of] my hands. Nobody has ever hit my hands. Look at my hands. Are those small hands? … He said that if my hands are small, something else must be small. I guarantee, there’s no problem.” (For those keeping score at home, yes, Trump was referring to his penis.)

* Trump also came up with a few nicknames throughout the debate — move over, Cisco Ramon! — including “Little Marco” and “Lying Ted.” (He didn’t have a nickname for Ohio Gov. John Kasich, but I think “the only sane guy” works just fine.)

* When asked to clarify his previous statement about ordering U.S. to troops kill the families of terrorists and suspected terrorists: “When I say they’ll do as I tell them, they’ll do as I tell them.”

In need of a palate cleanse? Enjoy this shot of Senator Ted Cruz from the debate (and feel free to drop your theories about that white thing on his mouth in the comments section below):

GOP Debate Ted Cruz

Your thoughts on Thursday’s debate, particularly on the comments made by frontrunner Trump? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. George Washington says:

Sigh.

2. Lindsey says:

I feel someone should inform Trump that there’s a difference between having a big dick and being a big dick. Or that even if you do happen to have one, it doesn’t mean you also have to be one. Stay classy, GOP.

3. scott says:

I feel as if the Presidential debates have now lost their luster. I use to find them humorous, but I think it’s time to put all jokes aside.

• JosiahBartlet4President says:

It used to be that you could watch presidential debates as a family. There’s no way I’d recommend people watch these “debates” with their kids now.

• Mike M says:

The kids are the ones in the debates; real children would be better at running your country. I don’t live there, but sadly every single country is affected by this outcome and no matter what happens now it isn’t going to be good. You think the US has lost favor with the rest of the world under Obama – I don’t think you’ve seen the start of where that bad feeling could be headed based any one of the candidates on either side. Biden is maybe the only hope you have left if he decides to get into it before it’s too late.

• liame says:

“You” think the US has lost favor with the rest of the world over Obama. I think the “racist” American’s who never gave Obama a chance are the main reason “you” think that and the ignorant smear campaign won’t work because everyone and anyone with an ounce of dignity or intelligence knows what a great job Obama has done despite the hate and disrespect these so called Americans dish out on a daily basis. Those so called men who think they should be President are nothing but a bunch of narcissistic, ego-maniacs who only care about helping themselves and their followers, they don’t care about the rest of the Country. Obama can’t please people who don’t want it because they can’t stand the color of his skin. To deny that it’s not about color/race is just as bogus and fake as those men running for POTUS.

• JosiahBartlet4President says:

Believe me. I don’t think the US lost favor under President Obama. I think he helped restore faith and favor a little that was lost under President George W. Bush. Now the GOP candidates threaten to destroy that favor again.

• Mike M says:

Let me clarify my “you”. It’s pointed at the seemingly endless number of US resident’s that blame Obama for everything that they see as broken and how they say he’s pulled their country down in the eyes of the world. I was simply trying to say if you think it’s bad now under Obama – it will be much worse under any one of the current candidates. I don’t believe Obama was a bad president, I don’t believe the world sees that either. In fact not starting wars, trying to negotiate with foreign countries, at least “trying” to do something positive about health care – those are all seen as pretty good things overseas in my opinion. The candidates in 2016 will not do any better. Then again the real problem in the US is that the house/senate system can make the entire political process impotent to actually achieve anything by any president.

• herman1959 says:

Biden has already announced that he’s not getting into the race, and FYI, Biden is a Democrat. He would have no impact on the Republican nomination.

• herman1959 says:

I know; so much for that current events assignment.

4. Phoenix5634 says:

This whole election is a joke, might as well just send all the candidates in the washroom with a tape measure, and find your winner that way… I can’t believe one of these people is going to be president of the United States…

• Marcie says:

Not all of those trying to become president can measure something in the washroom!

• BarryFlash says:

But we know Hillary is a joke!

• peterwdawson says:

All the candidates are. You’ve got two robots, a con man, a creepy dude who is arguably more sincere than the con man which makes him more terrifying and an old idealist who will more than likely fall into the same traps the current President has.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Agree all the candidates are a joke, it’s hard to believe one of these people will be President.

5. DarkDefender says:

The Donald is bringing the GOP down in a ball of flames. If someone transcribed these debates, it would be super clear that DJT gives non-responsive answers… To pretty much any policy question..except (apparently) when he says he will order the military to commit war crimes “because he says so.”
    It may have come from a comic-book – but it is no less true – “With great power, comes great responsibility.”
    DJT is irresponsible while simultaneously making a mockery of the position of POTUS, all of what The U.S.A. stands for and of the GOP.

6. Disgusting !! Not fit to be our president !!

7. The Beach says:

Once again, Kasich comes across as the only adult in the room. The other three should be sent to Time Out.

• Christopher says:

Kasich is just as bad when it comes to his actual record on women’s rights. He is also a liar who says one thing and then does another. He might be worst of all because he actually follows through with legislation that contradicts the moderate persona he projects publicly.

This takedown of Kasich by Full Frontal is really eye opening:

• Wooster182 says:

A Republican being pro-Life? Say it ain’t so! I disagree with his position on abortion but this hasn’t changed my mind. He’s still the only Republican candidate running that isn’t completely bonkers.

I’d rather have to have a fight about women’s rights with a sane man than letting crazy children have access to the nuclear codes.

8. Lysh says:

Maybe it’s a canker sore? Or he had a powdered donut before coming out?

I shutter to see precious gem Cisco Ramon in the same sentence as Trump. As an Ohioan, it’s odd seeing people consider Kasick as the least problematic one.

9. BarryFlash says:

It’s hard for me to understand how people like Trump, Hillary, or Sanders. We know Hillary is unfit to be President. Sanders is a socialist. Trump is Trump.

• peterwdawson says:

Socialism is working great in other countries. Given how hard-wired capitalism is in the United States it probably won’t work there, especially given the constant equating of socialism with communism and thus tyranny.

• Et al. says:

Awww. Someone is sad their party is going down in flames.

10. JosiahBartlet4President says:

GOP, are you embarrassed yet?
    You brought this on yourselves.

11. Phoenix5634 says:

I don’t understand Trump supporters, they must be the most gullible people on earth. If you care about your country, don’t support Trump.

12. Sg. Grant says:

Donald Trump is the ultimate progressive troll. He is singlehandedly destroying what’s left of the GOP so his friend Hillary can be elected. Bernie Sanders is the last remaining candidate who isn’t a crony for big money. If it comes to a Hillary vs. Trump general election, I’ll vote for Trump just to watch it all burn from Europe, where I’ll be enjoying socialism that works well for englighted and educated people.

13. With all the opposition to Mr. Trump from his own party and country people, Mrs. Clinton is being handed the Presidency on a platter. She will be Madame President, come November.

14. The Drumpf Chrome extension works perfectly.

15. Maria says:

This whole debacle made me embarrassed to be a conservative. My seven-year-old nephew shows more maturity than these guys.

• None of those clowns are conservatives. At best they are reactionaries; at worst they are extremists proposing tyranny against the Constitution that they falsely profess to protect.

16. MV says:

and here I thought that being President was supposed to be serious. It’s a joke.

17. Stepp says:

Trump is crude, no class at all. But that aside compared to big his ego and big mouth I would say those hands look rather small.
    BTW…”Gee Grandma, what big teeth you have”….

18. Danimal says:

I’m SO GLAD that President Donald J. Trump won the election and that he has been taking the appropriate action to empower the people. Anyone who doesn’t see that by now is in total denial, more than likely due to their lack of intellect.