Suits Season 5 Finale Spoilers

Suits Finale Preview: Patrick J. Adams Teases Biggest 'Game Changer' Ever

Has Mike Ross made a deal with the devil?

As USA Network’s Suits serves up its Season 5 finale (tonight at 10/9c), Mike has given Anita Gibbs what she wanted — his admission of guilt, as a fraud, in exchange for the U.S. attorney keeping Jessica, Harvey et al out of her crosshairs.

Here, Patrick J. Adams previews the blowback Mike will sustain from those close to him, as a result of his selfless act. Plus, could Mike survive life behind bars, that is in fact where he winds up?

TVLINE | How does tonight’s season finale compare to previous ones?
I think it’s a more of a game changer than we’ve ever really done. We’ve had a couple of major, major moments where the show has taken a twist, but this is the first time that we’re doing something [where] you can’t put all the pieces back exactly where they were before. That is a really exciting thing to do to a show, especially in its fifth season. You can either try or replicate what has worked for so long or you take a risk and push these characters in new directions. The writers made a really brave decision to do what needed to be done, and I don’t think the show will ever quite be the same.

TVLINE | Coming off last week’s cliffhanger, what is Mike’s mindset? How certain is he about his decision to make a deal with Gibbs?
He’s pretty determined, after having that moment with the small case he was helping with in the courtroom, and realizingSuits - Season 5 as he watched his client sign that piece of paper that no matter what happens and no matter what the jury decides [with] his case, it’s just going to be a never-ending nightmare for everybody involved. They’re always going to be coming after him, Harvey, the firm. He knows that there’s really only one way to make up for what happened, and that’s for him to take the bullet.

There’s a version of this where the season would have ended with that decision being made, and we would have gotten to spend the next season seeing what comes from that decision. But I really like that we have this last episode to see him living with the decision he’s made. That made for a lot of really interesting scenes.

TVLINE | The show makes such good arguments for why Harvey should take the bullet, why Mike should take the bullet. There’s this great back and forth.
Yeah. Mike and I share the opinion that he’s the guy who made the decision to do what he did and it should be his responsibility to fix it, but there are a lot of good arguments to be made that Harvey should have known better. I just don’t think there’s a world in which Mike, being who he is and coming from where he comes from, having had so few people in his life that he could really trust and not really coming from a family, would allow anyone else to take the fall. That speaks to his character and that’s what’s sort of great about what’s going on with him in all these scenes, even though it’s sort of heartbreaking. The last thing anyone would ever want for this character is to see him go away and have to pay the price for what he’s done. At the same time, in some ways, he’s a man for the first time.

TVLINE | Standing outside of the character and looking at this objectively, do you think Mike should go to prison?
You know, I probably have to get into my feelings about prison. We have prisons filled with people who don’t really belong there. Do I think it’s a victimless crime, essentially? No. There’s a good chance that a lot of the good that he’s done would be undone when it’s realized that he’s not a real lawyer. I’m not entirely sure if all those cases would have to be retried or if settlements would have to be reassessed…. I don’t think it’s totally out of the question that he could be in prison, but I think it would probably be better to put his particular skill set to some serious community service of some sort.

TVLINE | Can you picture Mike in prison? If push comes to shove, does he have what it takes to survive?
I think Mike is extremely resourceful. In some ways, it’d be like hitting reset. When we started the show, Mike was a total fish out of water in this new law firm and having to quickly get his bearings and figure out how to exist in this new world. I don’t think it’d be much different in prison.

TVLINE | We saw Harvey running to Gibbs’ office just as Mike was making the deal. How will Harvey react to what Mike has done?
He’s really unhappy. You’re seeing the best of both of these guys in this moment. They’ve been fighting so much in these last few episodes, but it has been, I think, the most interesting Mike/Harvey conflict because it’s all based out Suits - Season 5of love for each other and them wanting to take care of each other. They have a common goal, which is to get them out of this mess and make sure that nobody has to go to prison. As Mike makes this decision, that’s really hard for Harvey to accept because, to some degrees, he feels like it should have been him. He feels that he made a choice once upon a time to let this kid do something that was illegal and now because he made that choice, this kid’s life could essentially be ruined. That’s difficult for him to accept.

TVLINE | Rachel has been unfailingly supportive. Will she continue to stand by him even as he makes this deal?
That’s really the harder thing. Matters of the heart are more difficult. Mike and Harvey being “brothers from other mothers” can find a way to shake hands on this and just say, “Alright, we’re going to grit our teeth through it and come out clean on the other side.” But it’s a lot more complicated with Rachel. She’s got her whole life to think about. These two people are really in love, but they’re going to have to deal with the fact that not only is he going to be gone for two years, but also that the choices that he’s made could really affect her whole life and her career. That leads Mike to make some very difficult decisions about how to leave it with the woman he loves.

TVLINE | Without spoiling anything, did the season end the way you thought it would?
This is one of the few seasons where the writers room and [executive producer] Aaron [Korsh], specifically, were really clear about how it was going to end. You never know, they could have changed it at any moment – even in this episode, there were some pretty big plot changes right at the last minute – but the actual final moment of the episode was something that we’ve been working towards the whole season. I’m happy that we stuck with it.

TVLINE | Lastly, was the campaign to bring back Jesse on Orphan Black successful?
[Laughs] I am, sadly, not going to be there this season. It was a very difficult scheduling conflict. I’m actually on my way to San Diego right now — we’re doing a play down there and I had to be in rehearsals, so I could not be up there [in Toronto]. But as you know, I’m a huge fan of the show, and I think they’re a fan of Jesse. So hopefully, you haven’t seen the last of him. But this season, he’s on a sabbatical. He has a lot of towing gigs he has to do.

Want scoop on Suits, Orphan Black or any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Joey Padron says:

Great interview with Patrick. Can’t wait to see what happens in season finale tonight!

2. sarah t says:

Really looking forward to the finale tonight. I think this has been one of the strongest seasons for Suits and I like how they’ve showed the constant pull between Mike wanting to get off of any charges and also come clean. It’s been very well written and well acted (seriously, why doesn’t this show have any Emmy’s?). So glad it got renewed for Season 6 already too!

3. Bwhit says:

Great interview! I wonder if they have considered doing a time jump for next season. If Mike does go to prison, and it is for the whole two years, next season could pick up when he gets out. I think it might be interesting to see where all of them landed after it was over and what Mike’s life would be like. I do think Mike is going to break it off with Rachel to let her be free from all of this. Can’t wait!

• M says:

Great thoughts! That would be an interesting way of going. Wonder what Mike could do after he’s out of prison to stay working with the law firm…

• tvjunkie says:

Maybe they have a janitorial opening. I can’t image him getting anywhere near working on a case in any capacity if he had been in prison for fraud. But really if the law firm wanted to recover from this they’d have to stay away from Mike completely.

4. kevb62 says:

Why do I feel it’ll be Gibbs going to jail at the end of the show…?

5. Mary Jo Williamson says:

I find it odd that since they all know Mike hasn’t been a lawyer then why doesn’t he take the bar and go earn it. I don’t know how much is involved in getting the law degree (besides lots of school) but he knows all there is to know, it would seem doable.

• madhatter says:

It’s a little more complicated than just taking the bar. One does not “pass” the bar, one is admitted to the bar. Part of the New York state requirements for being admitted to the bar is having gone to law school. Mike has taken and passed the bar exam, but without a law degree cannot legally be admitted to the bar.
      Other states will allow people who take and pass the bar exam to be admitted to the bar regardless of having a degree or not. New York isn’t one of them.

• JPR says:

I believe that the Bar allows for a prospective lawyer to work under the supervision of an attorney or judge for an established number of hours, equivalent to law school studies, to earn the same credentials that the person could get in law school. There are some restrictions but this is a certain and simple solution to the problem in this show. If Mike had been learning his craft, according to the Bar rules, under Harvey or Jessica then there is nothing illegal about it. He is even allowed to represent clients in court so long as an attorney or judge in good standing takes responsibility for the work.

I get it that the show would not be so interesting without this storyline, after all, this is what the story is about! But, in the end, they could just approve the program for Mike and that would take care of it. The only remaining issue would be that the firm “hired” someone who did not attend Harvard. That is their rule, not the Bar’s so no laws broken.

Mike could probably qualify to take the bar exam by now and become an attorney. But then, what would happen to the show?

6. rpbilleaud says:

This is a very compelling show and the writers do a good job of making us really care about the characters and become emotionally attached to them. I think one thing that will come out of this is that Harvey will finally realize that he can always be there when Mike’s in trouble and come riding to the rescue. There are some things he can’t fix. That’s a good thing though, because Mike’s character has to evolve, he has to become a man and be accountable for misrepresenting himself for all these years. It will be interesting as well to see how Jessica, Louis, Donna, et. al. react when they finally see the inevitable consequences of their actions realized. I mean these are all smart men and women, they HAD to know, even if they were in denial, that this was not going to end well. It couldn’t. I’m a firm believer in the old adage that once more than one person knows a secret, it’s no longer a secret.

7. PatriciaLee says:

I haven’t seen it yet, nor have I read the article yet, but I hate these yearly fantastic cliffhangers because I have to wait until next season! It drives me nuts! In a good way, but I don’t think I can take it anymore.

8. Sara says:

This season was a bust. I liked previous seasons but this was a waste.

9. rafael_ says:

i think this has been the best season ever. Looking forward to see how it will unfold…

10. Would really like to see Mike and Harvey get out of this. Both have done so much good for their clients, it just is not fair. No one should go to prison. I really hope that Rachel stands by Mike no matter what the outcome. Mike and Rachel are in love and love can conquer anything as long as they stick together.

Rachel’s Dad can be a real stickler, but he should let his daughter make up her own mind and no matter what it is stick by her.

If Mike goes to jail (hopefully not) the time will go by fast. Maybe then Mike can get a real diploma and be legal to be a lawyer and join the firm.

Also hope Luis doesn’t do anything that would hurt Mike or the firm or Harvey.

Oh!! What is the matter with Harvey. Doesn’t he realize that Donna loves him and that he loves Donna. These two need to get together as they both love each other.

11. Teresa Beeman says:

Having worked in the legal profession as a paralegal for over 25 years, I do realize that in the real world, the chances of Mike coming out of this without going to jail are slim to none.

But because I desperately need escape from reality, if Mike goes to jail, I am done with Suits.

I watch very little television. It’s mostly a big waste of time. However, I have gotten caught up in the series and enjoyed it.

But if there isn’t a resolution that keeps Mike from going to prison, I won’t be a fan next season because I won’t be watching.

12. Raz says:

The show has been renewed for season 6, consisting of the usual 16 episodes. That’s great. But that can’t be the last, can it? I mean the ratings are down but they usually resurface to around 2 million viewers for the summer season. But if they don’t, then USA might renew Suits for a final Season 7 consisting of 13 episodes (like they did with Burn Notice). I mean, it’s quite clear that USA Network allows there shows to go 8 seasons MAX if they are successful (Monk, Psych, & now Royal Pains) All in all, I think the best we can hope for, for Suits are two more full (16 episode) seasons after the upcoming season 6 to bring it up to 8 seasons. But like I said, it all depends on the ratings for Season 6. However, one last point, I’d like to make is that, USA also seems to be accepting lower ratings which is good since LITERALLY millions of their viewers left when the blue-skies programming ended (Monk, Psych, Burn Notice, Royal Pains, White Collar, Covert Affairs, Graceland, Fairly Legal, Necessary Roughness, and Common Law). Look at Colony. It has already been renewed for a second season when season 1 is being watched by around 0.99 million viewers a week. It’ll probably be canceled after season 2 since the ratings will probably drop again next year. Luckily, Mr. Robot has tons of acclaim on it’s side they will probably left San Esmail do his 4 season plan. Look at some shows that were cancelled after one or two seasons over the last couple of years like Satisfaction, Sirens, Complications, Dig, Benched, Rush, and Political Animals. In Conclusion, here are the best and worst case scenarios for Suits. It’s already getting a 16 episode 6th season. It *could* (emphasis in could) get a 16 episode 7th and 8th seasons bringing it’s overall episode count to 124 episodes making it USA’s 2nd longest running show of all time followed by Monk’s 125 episodes and succeeded by Psych’s 121 epidsodes, Burn Notice’s 111 episodes and Royal Pains’ soon to be 104 episodes after it’s 8th and final Season concludes this summer. (I know, I used to hate Royal Pains too, but I like Campbell Scott and he’s probably the second most mysterious and strange man on network television after James Spader’s Red on The Blacklist) Anyway, getting back to Suits. That was the *BEST* case scenario. Worst case: Show gets renewed for shortened, seventh and final season, still bringing it’s overall episode count to 102 still making it one of the 5 USA Network shows ever to cross 100 episodes. All this will depend on the ratings for Season 6 this summer. If Suits is averaging around 2 million viewers a week like it has been every summer before, we’re in for long haul! But if not, time to say goodbye. Sorry for my long rant.