The Muppets Recap

The Muppets Season Finale: Did Kermit and Miss Piggy Get Back Together?

Fans of The Muppets have waited all season for Kermit and Miss Piggy to finally get their acts together, and Tuesday’s two-part season finale presented them with the perfect opportunity.

A freak dancing accident — during “Single Ladies,” ironically — landed Piggy in the hospital, where she got the liquid courage (courtesy of her morphine drip) that she needed to drop the L-bomb on Kermit… before proceeding to also profess her love for hand sanitizer and an imaginary giraffe.

Piggy’s declaration of love, while heavily drug-induced, was enough to stir similar feelings within Kermit’s tiny felted heart — and more than enough to divide the staff of Up Late into #TeamLove and #TeamFriendship.

Kermit, ever the consummate professional, decided before Piggy’s final show of the season that he was going to keep things strictly business with his former flame. But like I said, that was before her final show; hearing Jack White perform Stevie Wonder’s “You Are the Sunshine of My Life” was enough to push Kermit back over to #TeamLove.

Piggy’s words (“I need a frog who’s all in”) echoed in Kermit’s tiny green head as he boarded her post-show flight to Thailand and declared his love: “I know it’s risky, and I know I want to try anyway.” His beloved didn’t exactly remain conscious for his full confession — oh, Piggy, always mixing booze with pills — but I think it’s safe to assume she would have reciprocated. … Right?

Are you pleased with the events of Tuesday’s Muppets finale? Do you think the show deserves a second season? Grade the episode below, then drop a comment with your full review.

1. Mark says:

It’s a shame that the first half of the season was so poorly received. The second half addressed all the complaints and got back to the old Muppet roots. I hope it comes back for another season.

• SAM says:

Agreed on all points. I enjoyed the first half but can understand why it didn’t meet a lot of expectations. During the back season half, usually I laughed out loud at some point during an episode. I really hope that it gets renewed.

2. A. D. says:

I hope it gets a season 2….it’s a great show!

3. steven says:

I never thought that a Muppet show would end on a cliffhanger.

4. iHeart says:

I really hope we do see a season 2 considering the show found it’s legs again (and got rid of Patcha too)

5. the first half was good the second half was bad I was fast forwarding most of it. they should of left it the way it was.

6. SUSO says:

Why would you end a show on a cliffhanger when the future of the franchise is seriously in doubt?!

• NJMark says:

Like it or not (and I don’t like it), EVERY show does that.

• LeonelVHS says:

Bleep My Dad Says on CBS did the same thing, leaving a MONSTROUS cliffhanger on it’s 1st season finale. Sadly, it didn’t get renewed so we will never know what happened after Ed’s other (unknown?) son came knocking on his door. :(

7. Mr. Tran K says:

Hope The Muppets gets renewed soon. Don’t care why a lot of people dislike the rebooted version.

8. Boiler says:

Is this where that god awful show ABC has been advertising for weeks going to end up after they ruin tomorrow with it being on twice???

9. Joey says:

Can we all just acknowledge how subtle and hilarious the “hamstrung” joke was? I spit out my water cause I couldn’t hold the laughter in. The layered jokes in tonight’s episodes were classic Muppets and I will be awfully sad if this gets cancelled. One more chance with a solid lead in and a touch more fine tuning might do wonders for the ratings.

10. Giuseppe says:

Such a great finale! Miss Piggy is my favourite character ever.
    Please give us Season 2!

• Wooster182 says:

The show would have been much better had it focused on Piggy and her wardrobe assistant (?). They were the best part of the season.

11. Bring it back… loved having the Muppets on my TV again!

12. Beth says:

I really don’t understand why people disliked this show so much. My 14 year old daughter and I laugh out loud and the guest stars have been really good.

13. Tracey Stark says:

That sucks :( I <3 this new muppets!! Who couldn't!!! Totally devastated it won't be back! Considering all the crap reality shows – the muppets was a much better choice!! Where's your head at people renew the good shows not the garbage!1