The Big Bang Theory renewed

Big Bang Cast Tackles Burning Q: Will Next Season Be the Show's Last?

With The Big Bang Theory only picked up through next season, the comedy’s 10th, the stage is set for high-stakes negotiations between CBS and Warner Bros. on a potential 11th season. Of course, the first hurdle will be getting the principal cast to extend their own deals beyond Season 10 — although, from the sounds of it, they’re already emotionally signed on.

Asked by TVLine whether there’s an expectation that next season will be the show’s last, Big Bang‘s leading lady, Kaley Cuoco, quickly responds “No,” before adding, “I think it’s a given that we want to be here. That’s the overall consensus. It might be a sticky road, but if I have anything to do with it, we’d be here for much longer. That’s the goal.”

Jim Parsons echoes his co-star’s sentiment, telling TVLine, “If the opportunity to go past Season 10 came up, I’d be very hard-pressed to tell you who [among the cast] might say no — if anybody would. I wouldn’t.”

Parsons cites his continuing creative fulfillment playing Sheldon, a role which has so far netted him four Emmys, as a key factor in his desire to stay put. “The writers are still so devoted and on top of it,” he enthuses. “The stories that come out are still so much fun to play — there’s no drudgery aspect to this.

“I’m trying to imagine when an actor in a good situation would go, ‘I’m out of here!,'” he adds. “I don’t think it would be between Seasons 10 and 11 — not if things are going well.”

Things certainly continue to go well for CBS where Big Bang is concerned. In its ninth season, the series is averaging 15.7 million weekly viewers and a 3.9 demo rating, easily retaining its “No. 1 comedy” status over ABC’s Modern Family (12.6 mil/2.7). With Live+7 DVR playback, its weekly tallies swell to 21.2 mil/6.1.

For his part, current showrunner Steve Molaro is hesitant to think too far ahead. “All I know is [there will be a] Season 10,” he says. “I’ll keep pushing forward and, as we learn more, we’ll adjust if necessary… If everything keeps going the way it’s been going, absolutely [I’m up for more].”(With reporting by Rebecca Iannucci).

1. Grace says:

It’s nice to see a cast who loves their show and wants to continue on. I’d never fault someone for being done with a role after 5-7 seasons, but it really is cool if they all do want to continue on. One of my favorite things about the Big Bang cast is that you can tell they crack each other up during their scenes. They all really seem to love doing the show so I hope we can look forward to several more seasons!

2. John NYC says:

Yay Kaley!

3. Mr. Tran K says:

There’s a slight chance TBBT may get renewed for a Season 11 and if it does, it should be the end for the series.

• rcb918 says:

Slight chance? If the ratings hold up, there’s no slight about it. CBS and Warner Bros will keep the show going.

• Elly says:

It will be renewed; no, it should not end at season 11 if it continues to be funny. If you have a problem with it, stop watching.

• John NYC says:

Agreed. Hey it’s not like they deliberately hide the channel selector keys on the remote. Or, for that matter, the off switch.

4. Peter Allan Ker says:

I hope The Big Bang Theory gets another 3 Year Renewal (11,12 and 13) to make it the Longest Running Modern Sitcom with 300+ Episodes.

5. David4 says:

Creativity the show is completely dead, but $$$$$$ so why not continue.

• peterwdawson says:

Pretty much. At least they love doing it and its profitable. I know a bunch of people who keep saying the show is basically dead but still watch it out of tradition at this point.

• David4 says:

Plus just think about the hundreds behind the scenes that are working on the show that have a job.

It’s hard not to enjoy your job when you make such insane amounts of money to only read bad ‘jokes’ for a few minutes a week.

• peterwdawson says:

Oh for sure. At the end of the day while there’s other shows I wish were as popular and such, it is good that a bunch of people are managing to find such steady work in the typically chaotic entertainment industry. While its popularity also probably isn’t really helping society progress per say (aside from having the occasional episode talking about real science) I doubt it’s hurting either.

• David4 says:

Yeah, if 7th Heaven stayed on the air 11-12 years what the hell have a somewhat sciencish show about dorks stay on the air.

• Steven says:

The show’s been creatively dead since the first season. I still do not understand how people find this series funny.

6. Phillip says:

I hope it goes on for many more years! I love this show so much!

7. abz says:

Yeah, I’m sorry but I highly doubt that creative fulfillment as a key factor when the three of them would be idiots to turn down their million dollar/per episode pay check.

• cuius says:

,,,and given that they probably have a less than 50% chance of a satisfying career beyond TBBT, based on other long-running shows that have ended

8. Bark Star says:

Be mercyfull and let this show rest. Its been slowly dying a sad and public death ever since Season 4 ended. Dont make the same mistake as The Simpsons did and turn this into more TV necrophilia.

9. Mike says:

21.6/6.1 demo doesn’t sound like a public death to me….just saying.

10. Tom says:

I’ve been a fan for many years, never missing an episode, but since this year I’m honestly dreading them continuing past next season. They’re just rehashing the same jokes and plots over and over and over again and show no sign of wanting to let the characters grown and inject some fresh new plots. And no, I’m not counting Leonard and Penny’s marriage or Sheldon and Amy having sex as “fresh and new” because they were both one-offs events that had no effect on the story whatsoever. Nothing has changed in these characters lives even after those major events and if it weren’t for the fact that they occasionally mention them happening, you couldn’t tell the difference. So why did they even bother? As fan service? The fact that Leonard and Penny still live with Sheldon like a couple of college students, instead of moving across the hall on their own, after being married, is ridiculous. The only change they had the guts to take was make Bernadette pregnant, and that was the worst decision of them all since babies have never made shows better, only worse. End it while it still has some resemblance of quality. Or, if you want to continue, have the guts to change things up and freshen up your stories.

• I hope that Penny (planned) and Amy (by accident) both get pregnant, Also, Rajesh’s dog. Giving a different meaning to the term, Big Bang. Even though the show has lost some of its luster, which is typical for long running shows, I will unashamedly continue to watch. Also, it provides work for Bob Newhart whom I adore.

11. Felicia says:

I hope so. Dont like it much but it hard to just stop after that many seasons :).

12. mario says:

With a 21.2 mil viewership I believe CBS wants to continue for another year. It seems that the actors want to continue, so it will be up to Warner Bros. and CBS to strike a deal. If they do somehow continue beyond an additional year, I agree the story lines have to be more creative for TBBT to be the longest running sitcom in history.

13. Jan says:

Love the show. It is the only one I watch all the time! I certainly hope it continues!!

14. Abe Froman says:

“The writers are still so devoted and on top of it,” he enthuses. “The stories that come out are still so much fun to play — there’s no drudgery aspect to this.” Apparently Jim Parsons hasn’t watched the last few episodes.

15. AngieD says:

I just hope that they know when to end the show on a high instead of due to a ratings dip. Friends ended because everyone seemed to know that it was the right time. I think BBT is getting close to that point. This season has shown character growth, but not always funny.

• justin says:

Friends ended because some of the Stars thought they had movie careers ahead of them and wanted to to it.
      I think this cast knows that most likely none of them are going to ever get bigger than this. Kaley is the only one who has a chance and she has tried a few movies and not done so well.
      The show should go as long as main five want to continue doing it, even if it dips in the ratings somewhat.
      I would say at least 3 more seasons after this one.

16. robandco says:

I love the show, it’s funny overall but the past seasons have been very uneven.
    I think they need to go back to it being Leonard and Penny’s story. I mean, it seems like Sheldon is getting all the attention lately and basically everyone else is sidelined. Since Penny and Leonard tied the knot they haven’t had ANY storyline of their own. I get that it’s season 9 and they need to develop the supporting roles, but it feels like that’s all they do.
    Give them something to do. Give Penny her acting career back. Have Leonard be a stay at home dad, or have him find something amazing that isn’t linked to Sheldon in any way. Have the guys go on another expedition. I don’t know but do something.

• Alex says:

I agree that it’s too much the Sheldon show now and that they hardly care about anyone else, but this was never really Leonard and Penny’s story with everyone else in supporting roles. They might have envisioned it that way, but it didn’t last long before Sheldon became the breakthrough character. IMO, this show was at its best in S2-5, when all characters had solid storylines and quirky, funny and distinct personalities and dynamics. And introducing Amy and Bernadette gave it a fresh new direction that is very much lacking these days. Everything is stagnant and stale now. It’s all a mish-mash of recycled romantic tropes and gender stereotypes, where all women mother their men and sigh over how childish they are, everyone seems to be pathetic and dysfunctional in one way or another, and no development sticks for more than one episode in any meaningful way because the writers are too comfortable with their millions and afraid to try anything new.

17. Tony says:

OMG, this show stopped being funny two seasons ago! It is no longer on top of its game like it was – the quality of writing has seriously declined, the characters have become tired and in a rut, the show has lost focus. The boring and unimaginative 200th episode should have proven that to anyone in doubt of how long this show has overstayed its welcome. End it now before the townsfolk run them out of town!

• justin says:

Or, you could just stop watching. That would work too.
      Why should these people leave a paying job (not just the actors and writers but everyone involved) just because you dont like it. I might not like your job, maybe you should quit.

18. Jeknee says:

Regardless of all the phone it in, 1%, off more than work. Evry 1 has an opinion. Love that there is a show i can watch, laugh and then think about days later and chuckle. Fav. Quote “that girl could hunt geese with a rake” ….. Bawhaaaaa see still giggling. More laughing less b!t(h!n&.

19. TOM PETRALIA says:

This SHOW is the best SHOW on TV, Why would you cancel the show that everyone looks forward to each WEEK. I watch rerun after rerun. I look forward to seeing this show so much I record every episode. If the cast wants to go on then pay them and let them go on , losing The Big Bang Theory would be like losing your BEST FRIEND. DON’T CANCEL THIS SHOW.

20. Teresa Hulbert says:

I hope they let me in the show

21. mario says:

If the show is to continue after next year, and from what I have heard they are in contract negotiations right now, they must move forward with the storylines. First, they have to move Penny and Leonard out of the apartment and across the hall. Sheldon has to grow up and be an adult. Perhaps Amy would move in to cater to all his whims. Second, I think the boys might quit their jobs at the university and form their own company to develop their prototype guidance system. Once they are established maybe Penny will work for them if she is still unhappy at her job. So, I think there are alot of plots that can be developed for next year and beyond.