Once Upon a Time: Did Ginny Goodwin Confirm [Spoiler?]'s Pregnancy...?

Ginnifer Goodwin gave birth to fresh speculation about a Once Upon a Time pregnancy, during a visit to Jimmy Kimmel Live! on Monday.

Making the rounds to promote the animated Disney feature Zootopia — in which she leads the voice cast as police rabbit Judy Hopps — Goodwin spoke with Kimmel about Once‘s recent run of on- and/or off-screen pregnancies. The actress’ second time around with husband/co-star Josh Dallas will not be written into the show, she explains, because, for one, it landed too close to Snow White and Prince Charming welcoming baby Neal into the world. (Instead, as she “Shreks out,” she jokes that Snow will be hidden behind “paintings” and “bushes” during Season 5B.)

Also factoring into the equation, Goodwin says, was both a recent on-screen pregnancy (Zelena’s) as well as a castmate’s real-life pregnancy — suggesting that, as Once creators have repeatedly hinted, mom-to-be Emilie de Ravin’s Belle will be with child (which makes sense, given how the Season 5A finale conspicuously indicated that Belle and Rumple had re-consummated their shaky marriage).

How do you think a “Rumbelle” pregnancy might affect the Dark One’s keeping of a very, very dark secret?

After that bit of business, Goodwin relates the difficulty in choosing a name for her and Dallas’ second child, so Kimmel uses a pair of Bingo cages to pick a name out for the couple. Think she’ll stick with the unusual outcome?

Want more scoop on Once, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. ABG says:

I dislike Belle and Rumple together so much.

• KT says:

Me, too. I hate it as a story line.

• charlie says:

SAME. It might be my least favorite part of the show. Nothing against either actor, but they just don’t go together. I wish the “beast” just could’ve been someone else.

• Simon Jester says:

I don’t mind the storyline per se… but there is absolutely ZERO CHEMISTRY between the two actors, so the whole thing just falls flat.

• Sophia says:

Pure envy…giggle. If they truly lacked of chemistry or this thing that kills shipper hearts, long ago the ship had been abandoned like many others for the showrunners.For sure they tried to sabotage the ship and fans of them but the fandom survived the anticampaign…as easy than forget the show . No one decides what i like or ship, i do. Even if burn certain group of fans panties…

• Zippy says:

Yeah. It’s pretty gross. I actually don’t dig any of the relationships on the show. It’s kind of disappointing.

2. Something Something says:

She said that a character has been pregnant this season (Zelena), and that another actress is pregnant too (Emilie De Ravin). She didn’t suggest anything else. Besides, it’s not possible, Emilie has already a huge bump, they have to hide it, since the events of this arc occur in a few days. So if they hide it, there’s no point in making Belle pregnant just because Emilie is. See my point? Then, if they decide to make Belle pregnant regardless, because they think there’s not enough babies on the show, that’s another matter…

• Rumpelstiltskin is a magical being, and pregnancies of magical beings don’t necessarily work in “Real Life” time.

• lauren says:

Except she was using Emily’s pregnancy as an example of why SW won’t be pregnant, as in they didn’t want *two* characters pregnant at the same time. At least that is how I heard it.

• Danyelle says:

that was my interpretation too. why bring up another actress’ pregnancy in in explaining why yours won’t be on the show? Ginny slipped!

• K says:

The “other character” she was referring to was Zelena.

• Holly says:

No, she said Zelena AND another co-star’s pregnancy, which can only mean Emilie. Maybe the group in the Underworld were there a lot longer than just a few days? Maybe in our world, it was a lot longer than it seemed to them? I think it would make an interesting story, since he loved Baelfire deeply regardless, and would have done anything for him, and wants to make up for the mistakes he made with Bae. He knows that a big part of why he lost him for so long was because he couldn’t give up the dagger, so this might be a great reason for him to be conflicted, but instead of the typical “Belle wants me to be good” story.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Plus, surely a baby sired by someone who was The Dark One at the time will be… special. Gotta start setting things up for Once: TNG.

3. Carly says:

If they’re not writing in Goodwin’s pregnancy and go with hiding it as best as possible instead, I’m not sure why they wouldn’t do the same with de Ravin. Especially since Belle’s not on screen all that much compared to others anyway and it’s easier to write around her scenes like that by placing her behind counters or whatever. The least thing Rumple and Belle with their constantly shaky and questionable relationship need is a baby. And the show doesn’t need any more of them either. We barely see Snow and Charming’s baby and they haven’t even bothered to name Robin Hood’s newborn daughter yet before she was shoved aside to off-screen-land with baby Neal and Roland for the upcoming Underworld story!

• BM says:

I’ve been wondering if they haven’t named Hood’s baby for a reason; either for when Zelena (heaven forbid) gets redeemed (just can’t help myself, it feels so wrong to think about that; imagine being a big happy family with the person who deceived you in the way she deceived both Regina and more importantly Robin…), or when she’s out of the picture or something else. (or maybe they just don’t want to decide on a name)
      And I agree that Belle and Rumple shouldn’t have a child. But it could make for an interesting arc. He’ll get a second chance to have a child and do better just after he decided to take on the power again which almost killed him the last time around because he can’t live without it…

• Tina says:

The last thing Belle needs as a character is less screen time, specially if the producers do it by hiding behind an actress’s pregnancy. I don’t mean they SHOULD make Belle pregnant, but the solution here is not to write off Belle. If they decide NOT to go the pregnant way (which actually many rumbellers prefer) this should not be accomplished by simply giving Belle less screen time. She is a regular. You bet your ass they wouldn’t temporarily write Ginny off just for being pregnant.

4. Margaret says:

I’m excited to see if Belle is pregnant. there’s been plenty of hints. I think that it would be a good storyline for Rumbelle, especially to see if a new child would change Rumple’s near-constant power quest. Belle deserves a good story arc or two.

5. I’m on the fence about whether I want a baby for them or not. I think it could make for an interesting character driven story given Rumple’s history with Bae, and Milah, and his own father. Same for Belle with losing her mother in such a dramatic way. I don’t know if the writers are into writing that kind of story anymore, but it would be in keeping with the pasts of the characters and of how the story telling used to be more character driven on this show.

I think it’s possible that they wrote in the Rumple and Belle scene in the MSF to keep open the possibility of writing in the pregnancy. I don’t see it as a given. I also don’t see them writing in Belle’s pregnancy so far along, but time jumps aren’t out of the realm of possibility, and they’ve already sped up one pregnancy on this show, so anything could happen.

If a pregnancy happens though, I lean towards it being a reveal towards the end of the season rather than something that is already far along.

We’ll see.

I love Rumple and Belle together so I hope that they get a good story that is more like the first two to three seasons of the show rather than what we’ve had in the last season and a half.

• I don’t think they’d be writing in Em’s pregnancy – her timeline never fit in with the show’s because of the UW arc. I think they’re writing a Rumbelle pregnancy – just way too many hints – which we’ll get wind of at the end of the season.

I think a Rumbelle pregnancy has so many possibilities. Aside from Rumple becoming a father again, there’s Belle, who no doubt would be worried about whether she’d be as good a mother as her own. Then you have the curse thing – someone is getting a TLK by the end of the season and it makes sense that it’s Rumbelle. If it is, then you also have Rumple’s concerns about his being so much older physically than Belle, being afraid that he’d die and leave her alone- or perhaps worries about being an older father.

• BM says:

I’ve been wondering about the TLK and if they plan it to be Zelena and her daughter. But wouldn’t it have to be related to the curse in some way? So far, it always has been and Zelena has absolutely nothing to do with the curse. I guess, Rumple and Belle could make sense in the broadest way considering the curse was enacted by a Dark One and Rumple is the Dark One but it would make more sense if it were between Lancelot and Guinevere, for example. They’re directly involved in the Camelot arc.

• K says:

I don’t think there will be a baby (which is for the best at this point). But I desperately want them to get some screentime and concentrated, character-driven story. (I know that’s a pipe dream at this point for this show, but they are by far the most compelling couple on the show and I miss them.)

6. Jake says:

I wish Goodwin’s hair stylist or whoever would suggest letting her hair grow out. Some women look OK with short hair, but it’s not an attractive look for Goodwin. She looks like a boy.

• Cas says:

I agree!! I have seen many wear the hairstyle great. She does not.

• KT says:

I think the same thing. It’s not a very flattering look for her. She has had cute hairstyles before. Even if she still keeps her hair cut short, she could grow it out enough to be feminine looking.

7. It's Delovely says:

It’s hard to tell one way or another from Goodwin’s interview if they’re definitely writing in a pregnancy for Belle, but it does sound like Emilie de Ravin’s pregnancy was a factor in not writing in Goodwin’s (along with the other factors she mentions).

I think a baby could be really interesting for Belle and Rumple, given their history as a couple, and their family histories (Belle’s mother, Rumple losing Bae/Neal and having Pan for a father). I am less sure that the OUAT writing (which is more plot-based than character-based) could do justice to the story and give it the time it would need. The Underworld story could give them a reason for Belle’s pregnancy advancing so quickly (e.g., time moves differently in the Underworld, so what seems like a few days there would be months in Storybrooke). I do think a Rumbelle pregnancy would make for some really emotional material that Carlyle and de Ravin would really sell.

8. Rebecca says:

Well it was mentioned that there would be consequences for Snowing leaving Neal behind. The only thing I can think of at the moment is that time will work differently in the UW. A few days in the UW = a couple of months in SB & if they stay any longer Neal will be a teenager/adult. I can see that happening (we’re talking about a show that sped up Zelena’s pregnancy with magical onion rings)

9. I don’t think so.

After I watched it, this is what I came away with:

1) First part: Ginny talked in past tense – probably referring to the time when she told Adam and Eddy about her pregnancy. At the time, then, she would have known (or they told her) that Zelena was pregnant.

2)Another actress was pregnant. WHY did she not mention Emilie? I don’t know if that was just a quirk and that Ginny just didn’t think of it, but it’s possible that her saying an “actress” instead of Emilie is a clue that Belle would be pregnant. I admit it’s a reach – it’s probably just the first option, but it is strange that she referenced Em at all.

That said, I think we have to take all of the hints from the show and from the interviews (Adam/Eddy’s and Emilie’s) and assume that Belle is pregnant (but Em’s pregnancy is not being written in). I would be shocked if we don’t get a Belle pregnancy at the end; if we don’t, then Adam/Eddy have a lot of explaining to do as to why they didn’t just say NO. I mean, I have never heard of a negative surprise – where you wait and wait and boom, NOTHING happens instead of something. I firmly believe that we will get a Rumbelle pregnancy – and now that they are filming for SB in the last 3 episodes, it’s possible that Belle could find out now that she’s back. PLUS Emilie would never have hinted STRONGLY in her interview that a Rumbelle baby was a possibility if it wasn’t happening…

10. Holly says:

I think a pregnancy for Belle would be interesting. The only worry I have is that there is quite a few children in the show already that they don’t seem to have the time or reason to keep writing them in the story, because the only point would to show that there still around.

However, I think it would be a little different with these characters – and the writers did confirm that there would be a story about Belle’s life before Rumple so maybe it ties into this. With Rumple especially, a new child would lead into a new story for him. He wants to make up for his mistakes with Bae, but Bae is gone, and it would make him question whether he wants to be good or keep the dagger in a new way, because we have had the “being good for Belle” story for too long now. With a new child, it would be about being good for them. The dagger was the reason why he lost Bae for so long, so he would have to worry about whether keeping it would be a mistake with this one too. It would also give Belle a time to reflect on what the best thing for her child is, and whether staying with Rumple is the best thing for them. She can no longer just go back to him and then leave him, and it will make her question what life away from him can be like now that she has to worry about the best for her child. Maybe she will leave him for good?

As for time, maybe time works slower in the Underworld? But they did start filming 5B a while ago, and Emilie wouldn’t be that big then? Time will tell, if they do have Belle being pregnant too, which I think there have been a lot of hints to for it not to happen. Hiding one pregnancy will be mad enough with having to hide Ginnifer, never mind two!

11. GraceM says:

I’m not surprised that Rumple and Belle will have a baby. Their fantasy lifestyle they had a son.

12. Anonymous says:

What if Rumple and Belle made the baby what if it was Gaston?

13. Tina says:

Pregnant or not pregnant there needs to be a lot more Belle. Belle with Rumple but also Belle as a separate character with her own storyline. It’s about damn time.

14. Sophia says:

I hope that if they include Emilie pregnancy, Belle the character will not be even more forgotten. Thats the only reason why im not pretty excited about that storyline…I’m still hoping that they decide explore again that relationship of Rumple and Belle under a better and more respectful way for the fans of them. And my love to Ginny and Emilie two precious cupcakes.

15. Miranda says:

Their relationship is so dysfunctional as it is–Gold continues to lie, manipulate and betray (he treats Belle like a doll that he takes out of the toy box, plays with, and puts away when he becomes bored), and Belle continues to be an enabler and doormat. You can’t fix or change someone else, esp. an addict, and Gold is a magic/power addict. Having a baby won’t make it any better. If there’s a baby, it will imply that having babies fixes everything, and it doesn’t, certainly not in real life. Babies just add tension to already shaky relationships and tend to be the death knell. Their whole story arc sends the wrong message to the younger viewers of the show, very regressive–odd to see a 1950s “stand by your man/keep her ignorant, barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen” mentality in a show that tries so hard to be modern.

• Mary says:

I disagree. The show may take another direction than the baby bringing them together. I think it may make them drift apart. With a baby, Belle no longer has to just worry about herself being hurt by his tricks, she also has to worry about the child. And it will make Rumple question whether he wants to make the same mistakes he made with Bae when he lost him because of magic. There is going to be a Belle centric story, about her life before she met Rumple, so I am hoping it is because she thinking about how her life used to be when she didn’t have to worry so much about Rumple, and it makes her choose a life as a single mother.

16. Analia says:

I don’t care if they have a baby or not, I just want them to work things out and have a proper conversation. that’s all. then they can go on from there. they need more screentime

17. kath says:

As much as I like Snow/Charming, I think it’s a good decision not to have Snow pregnant again. With two little babies, or a toddler and an infant, Snow wouldn’t have time to have any OUaT adventures.

I think it’s cruel to keep Zerlina from the only creature who she loves and who might love her, even if she is dangerous. And really don’t care about Rumbelle.

18. Daisy says:

Yay! A Rumbelle baby! Cute!

19. Courtney says:

I love the fact that Belle and Rumple is going to have a baby they love each other very much.