Exclusive

American Idol: Season 15, Top 8 Song Spoilers Revealed

You won’t be surprised to learn that a done-to-death Whitney Houston jam is being covered on American Idol‘s Top 8 performance show (Thursday at 8/7c on Fox). But you might let out a “whoa, innnnteresting!” when you find out which contestant is tackling it.

Oh, MacKenzie Bourg, how your song choice fills us with equal parts nameless dread and jittery anticipation. Please, be good! (And please, rearrange liberally!)

Of course, since we’re not sure which two vocalists will be sent home at the top of the hour, TVLine is giving you an exclusive rundown of all 10 finalists’ song selections.

Who’s on the edge of glory? And whose picks have you thinking it’ll be against all odds that you vote for ’em? Check out the set list below!

La’Porsha Renae — Beyoncé’s “Halo”
MacKenzie Bourg — Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)”
Tristan McIntosh — Vince Gill’s “Go Rest High on That Mountain”
Trent Harmon — Percy Sledge’s “When A Man Loves A Woman”
Olivia Rox — Pink’s “Trouble”
Gianna Isabella — Alicia Keys’ “If I Ain’t Got You”
Sonika Vaid — Kelly Clarkson’s “Since U Been Gone”
Dalton Rapattoni — Imagine Dragons’ “Radioactive”
Avalon Young — The Weeknd’s “Earned It”
Lee Jean — Kings of Leon’s “Use Somebody”

What do you think of this week’s choices? Who’s a guaranteed show-stopper? Who’s flirting with disaster? Share your thoughts below!

1. Kim Moores says:

I’d rather not hear Gianna or Trent’s song.

2. Jason Brown says:

MacKenzke singing I Wanna Dance With Somebody is going to be very, very interesting. La’Porsha will be good. I’m excited about her choice.

3. Rob says:

I love Avalon but she’s making such obvious choices. Or the producers are influencing her decision. Gianna is so beyond out of her league. As far as Olivia goes, she’s fine, I just don’t get all the hype. She seems like a Scott Borchetta plant but maybe I’m just paranoid.

• Smokey says:

Olivia Rox was on the 2013 season of America.s got talent. She made it to Vegas but don’t know how much further she got on the show……………

Avalon chooses mostly hip-hop songs , But she brings something different, rather than always chasing big Diva songs and screaming..,,,,,,, . Some of these songs like Halo, Radioactive, etc. are way overdone on these talent shows – — but, whatever. I know they don’t get a lot of choices and there’s an arrangement/ kick-back to the music publishers/artists that own the song.

• ChellemaBelle says:

I’d just like to know if anyone covering a Pink song didn’t completely pale next to her. If you don’t have the voice AND the attitude, it’s really not going to work. And by that, I’m not referring to the Bally’s aerobic production that is often J-Lo’s repertoire, but actual singing.

So question to all the other Reality Check fanatics… can you think of any time a Pink song was successfully covered on a singing competition show?

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I thought Angie Miller did a surprisingly good job with “Try” back in her season.
        “Trouble,” though…that’s a tough one. There’s not much melody, so it’s almost all attitude. If Olivia doesn’t get sent home on Thursday, she may have dug her own grave with that one. We’ll see.

• Mafs95 says:

I think Tessanne Chin (The Voice season 5) did a great job on “Try” and so did Koryn Hawthorne from Season 8.
        On American Idol, iirc, I think Angie Miller (season 12) did OK with “Try” and so did Emily Piriz (season 13… I know she’s fodder lol) with “Glitter In The Air”.
        Obviously no one performed it like Pink but I think the two gals from The Voice I mentioned above did a pretty good job singing a Pink song.

• Rick says:

I thought Hollie Cavanagh sang Perfect better than Pink or at least as good.

• Becky says:

I thought the same thing. So if her dad is already a record producer, why American Idol.

• Smokey says:

The exposure on TV and the people you meet through Idol is always a plus and a credential when trying to sell yourself as an artist.

4. Trey Rhodes says:

1.) Avalon Young
    2.) Sonika Vaid
    3.) La’Porsha Renae
    4.) Olivia Rox
    5.) Dalton Rappattoni
    6.) Trent Harmon
    7 & 8.) Lee Jean & MacKenzie Bourg
    9 & 10.) Gianna Isabella & Tristan McIntosh

given that avalon picks the right song choice, thoughts? i dont know why, but i think avalon is great and really could have a chance to snag this whole thing…is it bad that i dont think la’porsha is current enough to win? i feel like viewers will really get behind sonika’s growth (if that growth continues to happen. lets not forget that jena irene and allison iraheta weren’t front runners but made it to the end due to their growth. if you give america everything at the get go, it gets old. hopefully la’porsha will prove me wrong.)

• Becky says:

I love Avalon. She is captivating

• Jam says:

Avalon is about as captivating as a tree stump. My 11 year old likes her. Again, not many years of reliable experience.
        We need to remember this is vocal competition. It helps if the contestants stay on pitch if they want to win.

• Playhard says:

I agree, something about Avalon. I had to listen to her version of Earned It, over and over. She just has it, loved that version better than the original.

5. kcostell says:

The good: Keep going current, La’Porsha! She’s going to be fighting against the “old-fashioned” moniker all season, and nailing recent songs is her best ammo.

The bad: Trent’s overoverdone song choice. I also have a feeling Sonika’s taken on too big a song.

The (potentially) ugly: Avalon tries to go for a big ending on “Earned it” (Your strength is light and fresh vocals…don’t pull a Majesty!). Dalton takes on “Radioactive” without doing a serious reimagining.

The intriguing: Mackenzie’s inevitable flip of Whitney. Inevitable in the sense of “No Way he sings it straight”

• Trey Rhodes says:

im not totally sure La’Porsha is doing that with a beyonce song. halo is something i wouldve totally expected to be in La’Porsha’s wheelhouse and I have a feeling I know exactly how it will sound (great of course but I wish there was more of an element of surprise)

• Laporsha is the best vocalist and her and Dalton have the best eyes. She’s very current. Just because she sang Proud Mary & Summertime (old songs) doesnt mean she isn’t current. Plus she sang a current Rihanna song and nailed it. It just goes to show that she can sing anything, but the other contestants can’t, A true American idol needs to be able to nail old songs and current songs like Laporsha is doing. You never no when she might have to give a tribute to a legend on the Grammys. The other contestants wouldn’t be able to tap into the old soul but Laporsha can.They can only sing current songs. Laporsha can sing current and old songs. She is a winnner.

• And you dont know what shes gonna do with the Beyonce song. Laporsha doesnt have to prove you wrong, youre not the judges. You should be telling that to the other contestants who are trailing far behind. They picked obvious songs. Theyre playing it safe. Laporsha is the only contestant taking risks and showing versatility.

• Mary says:

I guess you are her biggest supporter, but please explain to me what risk Laporsha is taking? I think her songs are more obvious than most. The America public are the judges at this stage – they are the ones voting her in or not. I am hoping Gianna and Lee don’t have to sing and America voted accordingly. I wouldn’t be upset if Tristin is the one to go but those three are obviously the weak link here.

• Lyn says:

La’Porsha is probably the best voice and Dalton is the most visually marketable. Unfortunately IMO none of the 10 are the entire package. Avalon could find some success in TV movies on Free Form or Hallmark channel in an Emma Roberts way. Trent is just annoying in every aspect. Lee = too green. Olivia = too generic. Mackensie = too niche. Gianna = annoying. Tristan & Sonika = weak.

6. Interested to see how La’Porsha approaches Halo. We’ve known her to be very technicaly-savvy, I don’t know about how a belt-heavy song would go. But it’s La’Porsha so I’m not worried.

MacKenzie is gonna do a cool indie take on this song, and everyone’s gonna be like “Woah, that was such an interesting take!” I dunno. MacKenzie’s good, just a dime a dozen.

Trouble by Pink seems like an awful choice for a singing competition. I guess Olivia’s gonna try to break out of her shell, but I’d rather her do it while also singing well. I worry she’ll just smile through a kick-butt song, fail to connect, lack any opporuntities to show her voice, and be the next youngin’ out.

Sonika’s choice is dangerous, for obvious reasons. But it continues what began in the last show, destructing the idea that she’s just another Pia. Another ballad singer. I have faith that she’ll kill this song, and perhaps establish herself as the serious frontrunner.

I wish Trent wasn’t doing that song maaaaaaaaan. It’s had it’s run on Idol.

I think Dalton and Avalon are going to do very cool things with their songs, Avalon especially. Wouldn’t shock me to see at least one of them give one of the best performances of the night.

In my head, a combination of Gianna, Tristan and Lee (preferable the latter two) are already out. But I have no doubt Gianna would be utterly drowned with her song choice.

• kevstar says:

I can see Mackenzie doing the Sam Smith version of I Want to Dance. He will pare it down, like the glorious Whitney vocal track that we were treated to a couple of years ago.

7. Christian says:

I have a few questions

1.) Will there be studio recordings this season?
    2.) How will they do eliminations?
    3.) Will anyone other than Gianna, Tristan, or Lee leave on Thursday?

• 1.) I’ve heard, can’t remember where, that iTunes isn’t happening this season.
      2.) Two weeks in a row of double eliminations, than 1 a week after that.
      3.) If its not Gianna, Tristan or Lee its gonna be Avalon in a somewhat shocking elimination.

8. CK says:

Noooo, Sonika. You’re a big fan of the show. You should know that you only cover Kelly or Carrie if the other contestants are also forced to do so.
    I hope Gianna gets eliminated so I don’t have to hear that Alicia Keys song again in my life.
    I’m scared for Olivia. She really needs to change up the arrangement or something to keep it from sounding karaoke. It’s one of my favorite P!nk songs, but I don’t think it plays well on a reality singing competition.

9. I’m not feeling the majority of these.

10. Joel Maurice says:

What’s the theme? Or are they skipping themes this year?

11. danin says:

Ooo, can’t wait to hear Avalon singing Earned It…and Man i hope Trent does something good w/Man Loves A Woman..I mean it’s kind of a burned out song.

12. K says:

La’Porsha: It’s not the say that it won’t be amazing, but it’s a bit too predictable for her.
    MacKenzie: Hmm, I’m interested to hear this one. Could be really good.
    Tristan: I’m actually optimistic about this one. She chose something slow and heartfelt and I think her voice will sound really pure on this one.
    Trent: All I know is that it won’t be as good as Joshua Ledet’s and he’ll be making faces like crazy. I don’t know, I feel like he’s going for big R&B/soul songs when he’s better off with something he can finesse more.
    Olivia: This song has nice attitude, but a pretty plain melody. I feel like it’ll be a fun but middle pack/forgettable performance.
    Gianna: God no. Like omg like NO.
    Sonika: She should’ve changed it up this week, since she went “rocker” on us last week. Unless she does something Rayvon-y with the song, in which case it could be really pretty. But I’m still worried this song might be pushing it a bit too far.
    Dalton: I can hear the affected rocker sound already…
    Avalon: Could be boring or could be really good.
    Lee: Eh

13. Just my opinion:

La’Porsha Renae — “Halo” – LaPorsha is amazing but this is just predictable and uninteresting.
    MacKenzie Bourg — “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” – Really? I see a light-weight disaster… prove me wrong Mac!
    Tristan McIntosh — “Go Rest High on That Mountain” – If she’s not in the bottom 2, then I say sit at the piano and it just may save her butt.
    Trent Harmon — “When A Man Loves A Woman” – No, just no.
    Olivia Rox — “Trouble” – Not interesting enough for me…here’s hoping she beefs it up.
    Gianna Isabella — “If I Ain’t Got You” – She won’t be singing, so no worries.
    Sonika Vaid — “Since U Been Gone” – should have changed it up and sung a ballad but if she comes out with a sassy personality, she should nail it….maybe another show stopper?
    Dalton Rapattoni — “Radioactive” – I was hoping for a ballad, so if he turns this into one, just may be a show stopper.
    Avalon Young — “Earned It” – Yes, do it girl! I can feel the love….can’t wait for a possible show stopper.
    Lee Jean — “Use Somebody” – Poor Lee, even this is too big for him, but I’ve got to give him credit for not singing Ed. He may not even be singing, right?

14. Lloyd says:

We’ve heard Radioactive at least 20 times in season 13, and 14. Ugh.

15. B>Bell says:

Based on all the comments below don’t worry about who the best singer is, just vote for your favorite, being the last season it’s a decent show, American will pick who they want and it does not necessarily mean that person had the best vocals, it just means the show got who they wanted, all these contestants are different so let them do themselves and you vote for your favorite, like me, I vote for LaPorsha because she is my favorite not to take away from any other contestant, I could not get up on stage and do what they do could any of you, just think it’s hard to control nerves and all that, let’s not still their joy, it’s hard enough.

16. ktbanks says:

I just rolled my eyes SO hard at Gianna’s song choice. Quit pickings songs you clearly can’t sing/do not emotionally understand.

Intrigued by Tristan’s song choice…definitely a throwback and more along the lines of Kelly’s advice from last week. If she can get her pitch under control, she might stand a chance with it (Plus, who in middle America is not going to vote for somebody singing a song with that subject matter?)

17. Miscellaneopolan says:

Well, at least we won’t have to hear Gianna struggle to connect with “If I Ain’t Got You”–I’d say she was toast even if there only one person being eliminated, but with on the chopping block, it’s pretty much guaranteed that she’s out.
    I’m not so sure about who’ll be joining her. If Tristan makes it through, which I think is possible, she’ll probably have a rebound with “Go Rest High on That Mountain.” Slow is the way to go, Tristan. Who knows if Lee will score with “Use Somebody?” I’m not expecting much.
    The other people in danger are Avalon, since she was iffy last week, and Olivia, since she went first. Avalon could do well with “Earned It,” but “Trouble” is an attitude-heavy song and I’m not sure Olivia is up to it. We’ll see.
    “Halo” and “Radioactive” are predictable choices for La’porsha and Dalton, but I’m sure they’ll perform them well. Not quite as certain about Trent’s choice. “When a Man Loves a Woman” is in his wheelhouse, but there’s no way he’s going to do it better than Joshua Ledet, so I’d just as soon he pick something else.
    It’s cool to see that Sonkia is sticking with the uptempo songs. After last week, I’ll trust that she knows what she’s doing. And let’s all get ready for when Slezak falls over himself to praise MacKenzie’s creative rearrangement of “I Wanna Dance With Somebody.”

18. Becky says:

Normally I would think Mackenzie read your piece on him,but he had to have that song earlier than yesterday. Tristan and Gianna did not listen to the coaches. If Kelly told me to try a certain artist , I sure would of followed her advice…since she has walked that path. Brenda K needs to stop picking out her daughters songs.

19. pat says:

Trent is going to do great with this song….can’t wait….. you will have chills when he finishes #teamtrent

20. Heather says:

what the hell is this theme?

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I read that it was “Requests.” And remember that Ryan asks people to send in requests at some point during the last show.

21. Trevor says:

Most of the contestants are really good this year, but honestly I just don’t want to see another guy win. It would be nice to see a woman, preferably La’Porsha or Sonika or Olivia, win. I also hope La’Porsha continues to surprise us and hopefully hasn’t peaked too soon.

22. Karen says:

Ugh…can you imagine the faces MonoBoy will pull as he caterwauls “When a Man Loves a Woman “?

23. MacKenzie was snapped messing around with both a piano and an electric guitar. So, we’ll see. Hopefully it’ll be good.

24. Zuri says:

I’m really excited about Dalton and La’Porsha’s song choices, their gonna kill it. Makenzie’s performance will definently be very interesting but I’m kind of scared. I love Avalon and Lee to death but they really got to step up if they want to stay in this competion. I feel like they’re becoming too predictable.

25. Zuri says:

1.) Dalton
    2.) La’Porsha
    3.) Lee
    4.) Avalon
    5.) Makenzie
    6.) Gianna
    7.) Sonika
    8.) Olivia

I guess I don’t really like Trent and Tristen, not saying they can’t sing but….

26. lorie says:

I wish we could hear all the songs and then they let whoever is going to go go at the end of the show.

27. Laporsha and Dalton’s song choices arent predictable. Theyre singing the songs that theyre most connected to. Better “predictable” than a wrong song choice. We all know that Laporsha can sing pop, rock, soul, and r&b. Besides, her “predictable” song choice was chosen by her fans. At least she was nice enough to take what they said in consideration.

28. Jaszy says:

I really hope Olivia turns Trouble into some sort of piano ballad or something. She needs to do a performance where we can just really hear how great of a voice she has. An acoustic or piano driven version of a song would be FANTASTIC!
    I really hope she’s not eliminated tonight!
    Olivia FTW!

29. Jaszy says:

When I first saw “Trouble” by P!nk beside Olivia’s name, I was like “WTH?! Why did she pick this song?! This song isn’t the type of song you sing if you want to win a singing competition. What the heck is she going to do with this?There are better P!nk songs to choose from if you really want to SANG!”
    Here’s to hoping she can turn this song into an acoustic or piano-driven ballad. That would probably be her only saving grace…and hopefully she performs later in the show.
    They better not put her first again. She is too good to sing first.

30. Lena L Wilkins-Dyson says:

LaPorcha, LaPorcha, LA POR CHA

31. Lena L Wilkins-Dyson says:

Correction on LaPorcha name
    LaPorsha, LaPorsha, LA POR SHA

GURLAH!!! U did that MOMMA.
    YOU’RE THE BOMB.COM

32. Lana Fremman says:

Please have La Porsha sing Misty Blue! She’s a shoe in. I loved Tristen and Trent too!
    Dalton looks like a young Paul anew man! The other kids did show as well.

33. Veronica says: